Bobby Wagner Released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA1980

UDFA
Wagner>EJones (for now)>KYoung> Kiser>Howard>2022.R6 Draft Pick> 2023.R7 DraftPick>Reeder
Reeder is the rare talent who can’t cover, can’t tackle in the open field, gets swallowed by lineman, and run over by ball carriers. and has literally no discernible skill set on a football field, yet makes hundreds of thousands of dollars. Very rare talent, indeed.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reeder is the rare talent who can’t cover, can’t tackle in the open field, gets swallowed by lineman, and run over by ball carriers. and has literally no discernible skill set on a football field, yet makes hundreds of thousands of dollars. Very rare talent, indeed.
Damn...

Was I alone in thinking that his play in 2020 as a spot starter due to injury was pretty good...

jjab360

Legend
There's a ton of reasons this makes sense for us.

Star player on a team that loves stars. Position of need. Cut so he doesn't count against the comp pick formula. Players often go to division rivals because they're most familiar with them and to spite their former team. Competitor so he likely wants to go to a winning team. Hometown kid from near LA.

The only reason I can see this not happening is because this regime just doesn't seem to place that much value on ILBs. The priority for big contract players on the defense is likely always going to be pass rushers and CBs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Spotrac has listed the soon to be 32 yr old Bobby Wagner as the highest-rated MLB UFA AAV listed @ $18 million.

BW has never played in a 34 defense, not saying or can I can argue that he is not capable. BW never leaves the field when the defense is on the field. DC Morris normally tries & prefers to remove his MLB'ers on passing downs & insert DB's onto the field on passing downs.

There is a very strong likelihood that the SB Champion Rams will return all five of their 2021 ILB'ers under contract in 2022 led by rising star & starting 22 yr old MLB'er Ernest Jones.

27 yr old MLB'er Troy Reeder is an RFA & will be offered the lowest RFA tender. Part-time defender ILB/SS Taylor Rapp is also under contract. 26 yr old LB'er Justin Hollins who also took ILB snaps is also under contract. Part-time starting 25 yr old weakside ILB'er Travin Howard is an ERFA and is a very easy Econo resign. MLB'er Christian Rozeboom will enter his 3rd season.

A very important fact that was mentioned above by a good ROD member..... Rams rarely invest large chunks of available cap funds in the ILB unit. The last time the Rams paid big for an ILB'er was in 2013 ....James Laurinaitis contract was an average salary of $8.3mil .

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Wagner would be a big physical upgrade. Would the Rams be better off spending their cap dollars elsewhere?

I think so.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Hicks has been cut by AZ. Not a bad plan B if Wagner chases the dollars

oldnotdead

Legend

Hmmmm Troy Reeder's stats: For a guy that can't cover and tackle he sure did a lot of that. People see what they want to see. Personal bias aside he will get lots of interest as a FA. He was the best ILB this year. Earnest Jones had a very good year as a rookie and that makes Reeder expendable for financial reasons. Sorry it didn't copy well the second set are the playoffs.

Regular season

GamesDef InterceptionsFumblesTackles
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSftyAV
YearAgeTmPosGGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSfty
201925LARlb5116820.0583622004
202026LARLILB51167000023.0815328545
202127LARlb511710220262.0914843645
202026LARILB22000010.02061401
202127LARLB43000010.0169701

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Wagner and Jones at ILB would give us a tandem in the middle at LB I cant ever remember having. Jones is going to be a stud and Wagner is a first ballot HOF. I think this is a good backup plan to have if we lose out on Von. Added elite talent on the defensive side is never a bad idea. Ramsey was on Twitter today talking about Bobby Wagner and how the Rams play franchise with the salary cap turned off :laugh4:.
MachS,
Your comment about ILB pairings for the Rams got me to thinkin' (shaddup!!). The last pair of ILBs we had that worked very well together was back in the late 70s when Carl Ekern played along side Jim Collins.
But even then I think a pairing of Bobby Wags with Ernest Jones could be better than that because Collins had a lot of trouble with injuries.
I really liked Carl Ekern as a player. He wasn't all that athletic but gave it everything he had on the field. Just a tragedy that he died so young.

~ArkyRamsFan~

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
MachS,
Your comment about ILB pairings for the Rams got me to thinkin' (shaddup!!). The last pair of ILBs we had that worked very well together was back in the late 70s when Carl Ekern played along side Jim Collins.
But even then I think a pairing of Bobby Wags with Ernest Jones could be better than that because Collins had a lot of trouble with injuries.
I really liked Carl Ekern as a player. He wasn't all that athletic but gave it everything he had on the field. Just a tragedy that he died so young.

~ArkyRamsFan~
Ekern and Collins were in the 83-85 era. Then I think after the 85 season, in the Pro Bowl Collins was injured. I recall it was nerve damage to his shoulder and he was done.

That was a real shame because while Ekern was getting up in yrs, Collins was in his prime.

dang

Legend
Hmmmm Troy Reeder's stats: For a guy that can't cover and tackle he sure did a lot of that. People see what they want to see. Personal bias aside he will get lots of interest as a FA. He was the best ILB this year. Earnest Jones had a very good year as a rookie and that makes Reeder expendable for financial reasons. Sorry it didn't copy well the second set are the playoffs.

Regular season

YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSftyAV
YearAgeTmPosGGSIntYdsTDLngPDFFFmbFRYdsTDSkCombSoloAstTFLQBHitsSfty
201925LARlb5116820.0583622004
202026LARLILB51167000023.0815328545
202127LARlb511710220262.0914843645
202026LARILB22000010.02061401
202127LARLB43000010.0169701
First I want to acknowledge Reeder does give 100% and on occasion makes a really nice play. But anyone and I mean anyone watching the Rams will have seen how he cannot change direction, gets juked very easily, misses too many tackles and is poor in pass coverage. IMO he is a good ST player and decent bench strength ILB but is a poor starting NFL ILB.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
First I want to acknowledge Reeder does give 100% and on occasion makes a really nice play. But anyone and I mean anyone watching the Rams will have seen how he cannot change direction, gets juked very easily, misses too many tackles and is poor in pass coverage. IMO he is a good ST player and decent bench strength ILB but is a poor starting NFL ILB.
This....^_^

~ArkyRamsFan~

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I am going to be pissed if he goes to the niners, where we will rue the day not signing him, again.