Black Monday and the Coaching Carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Although somewhat typical of that organisation, I didn't think they could block someone going for a higher position?? Or does that only apply to HC roles?
Unfortunately for coaches the NFL has two categories for them. Head coach and coach. You can’t block somebody from interviewing for a HC job. But you can block anybody from any other interview. Actually I think you can make somebody an assistant head coach and block them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm shocked over Aubrey Pleasant not getting this gig, in fact, after his interview you could cue the crickets because nothing out of Cincinnati besides stating "Pleasant will not be back for a second interview." Now IMO, I felt Pleasant was a good get out of Washington and he chose the Rams over the Redskins even though Pleasant's title would be superior "Secondary coach vs CB Coach." to work under Wade Phillips, but his first opportunity to interview for DC did not land him the gig.

Again, it could be the Bengals wanted somebody with experience and IMO, Taylor overplayed his hand thinking he was going to land Saints DC Dennis Allen, who like Philips in Denver in 2017 was no longer under contract and could have moved to Cincinnati, however, decided to stay in New Orleans. Taylor because thinking he could land Allen, felt Jack Del Rio was not the right fit and when Allen decided to stay with the Saints, Taylor could not go back to Del Rio.

Since then Dom Capers said no, Florida's DC Todd Grantham not only said no, stated why as he felt the Bengals defense was lacking in personnel for the change to the 3-4. Then the Bengals made a half hearted attempt for Ohio State Co-Defensive Coordinator Jeff Hafley, but Hafley had never coordinated a defense either as he came to Ohio State this year after being DB Coach for San Francisco.

Now enter Sweet Lou Anarumo, that's right, someone who has only been a DC in college at a very low level and was interim DC for the Dolphins when Taylor was interim OC back in 2015 for 12 games in Anarumo took over for Kevin Coyle. Granted Anarumo & Taylor did work together and Anarumo has some experience albeit very little being a DC and that might be the reason, they are going with him over Pleasant, but if somebody is really that good, usually, they get the gig instantly and in Pleasant's case, that apparently has not happened.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bengals hire Lou Anarumo as defensive coordinator
lou-1550775876.jpg

CINCINNATI —

The Cincinnati Bengals have hired Lou Anarumo as defensive coordinator, team officials announced Thursday.

Anarumo, 52, comes to Cincinnati from the N.Y. Giants, where he served as defensive backs coach in 2018. Prior to joining the Giants last season, he was defensive backs coach for the Miami Dolphins from 2012-17, the Bengals said in a release.

“I’ve always had great respect for Lou, and I know he is a tremendous defensive coach,” said Bengals head coach Zac Taylor. “He’s a great fit for what we want to build here at Cincinnati. Lou is an excellent communicator who the players will have great respect for, and he will get the best out of them.”

During his stretch with Miami, Anarumo also served as the Dolphins’ interim defensive coordinator for the season’s final 12 games of 2015, after the team had made in-season staff changes, the Bengals said in a release.

Prior to his stint with the Dolphins, Anarumo was a college coach for 20 seasons from 1992-2011. He began his coaching career as defensive coordinator/defensive backs coach at the United States Merchant Marine Academy (1992-94), then later was assistant head coach at Harvard University (’95-2000), and defensive backs coach at both Marshall University (’01-03) and Purdue University (’04-11).

A native of Staten Island, N.Y., Anarumo earned a bachelor’s degree in special education from Wagner College in 1990, the Bengals said.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/bengals-hire-lou-anarumo-as-defensive-coordinator/26450249

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Aubrey Pleasant stays with Rams

I always felt good about Pleasant, but his interview could not have been overwhelming because many said no and the Bengals then went after Anarumo.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
This whole zach taylor thing seems like a dream . I still cant believe the Bengals hired him as their freaking head coach .
Now he hires the giants db coach ?
This team took way too long to get rid of Lewis, then they hire zach taylor?

Good luck to him but I doubt they win 5 games next year

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think alot of these mcvay related hires are more about how he calls plays instead of the plays he calls.

Although its completely legal, it seems like most of the leauge was blown away by mcvay talking to Goff at the line . The change of tempo throws teams off and the constant adjustments worked against most teams .

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This team took way too long to get rid of Lewis, then they hire zach taylor?

Good luck to him but I doubt they win 5 games next year

I concur here, they will be in the cellar of the division, but I believe they will give Taylor several years. Taylor was not even a good Offensive Coordinator with the Dolphins or even with the Cincinnati Bearcats that he coordinated for one year in 2016. However, he's young and being a former QB I'm sure did very well in the interview and he talked up Cincinnati and Katie Blackburn (Mike Brown's Daughter) is now running the organization.

Young offensive coaches are now vogue in the NFL, but not everyone is doing it like the Broncos & Dolphins for example, but Taylor might be over his head and trying to lure a Defensive Coordinator proved that as he whiffed on Dennis Allen, snubbed Jack Del Rio and could not even convince someone to leave his college gig, when he wanted back into the NFL.

Lou Anarumo a good guy, but truly his units have not had much success, but he has plenty of experience and truly wanted the job, so you never know, but he was not Taylor's first choice, 2nd or 3rd choice and thus now will be swimming upstream to get up to speed. Again the Bengals will give Taylor time, but I would not be shocked if Jay Gruden returns to Cincinnati in the near future as the Head Coach to truly rebuild the franchise.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/2/...-rams-bengals-eric-henderson-nfl-rumors-coach
Rams trying to land Eric Henderson, per report
By Jason Marcum

Feb 22, 2019

Rams are trying to add defensive line coach eric Henderson to staff.

Source tells me @Bengals & @RamsNFL are trying to add @Chargers assistant d-line coach Eric Henderson to their respective staffs. I'm told Rams have made an offer. @Coach_Henny played for CIN from 2006-2008.

— Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) February 22, 2019 As Marvez notes, Henderson was an NFL defensive lineman

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/2/...-rams-bengals-eric-henderson-nfl-rumors-coach
Rams trying to land Eric Henderson, per report
By Jason Marcum

Feb 22, 2019

Rams are trying to add defensive line coach eric Henderson to staff.

Source tells me @Bengals & @RamsNFL are trying to add @Chargers assistant d-line coach Eric Henderson to their respective staffs. I'm told Rams have made an offer. @Coach_Henny played for CIN from 2006-2008.

— Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) February 22, 2019 As Marvez notes, Henderson was an NFL defensive lineman

Now I understand you played for the Bengals so there is that, but here's a chance to not only work with a Hall of Fame Assistant in Wade Phillips, but also coach a future HOF in Aaron Donald....Come on down Coach Henderson, the water is far warmer in Southern California.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Now I understand you played for the Bengals so there is that, but here's a chance to not only work with a Hall of Fame Assistant in Wade Phillips, but also coach a future HOF in Aaron Donald....Come on down Coach Henderson, the water is far warmer in Southern California.

So true...

But the most important part of this usually comes down to the dollars being offered.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Plus, if he coached for the Chargers, he was already living in LA.