Best War Movie of All Time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trying not to post any repeats,
Inglorious Basterds
American Sniper
Hunt for Red October
Last of the Mohicans

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Assignment: Munich (1972)

The character C.C. Bryan was particularly good in that one.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
There are some great classics that give you a perspective from the other side like Tora Tora Tora and Midway. But the more recent ones bring the action to your TV like you were there. Hard to beat Saving Private Ryan.

Other awesome movies like Full Metal Jacket and Platoon. We Were Soldiers did a great job giving the perspective of the families back home.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think most of my faves have been covered in this thread.

Saving Private Ryan has to get my vote for best. My pops fought in WWII as did his 3 older brothers. All were pilots and 2 were shot down overseas..... So the story intrigued me from that angle. Strangely enough, when I took my father to see it in the theater, he liked it, but didn't love it. I always thought that was strange, but maybe it hit too close to home.

One I have not seen mentioned much would be 1917. I thought they did a fantastic job with that.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Where Eagles Dare - great action flick from the '60's

The cable car scenes are stellar!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think "Saving Private Ryan" was the most disturbing for its realism. I believe it captured most of angst and brutality of war. The character development was excellent and made you feel for each character when they went through horror. Besides the obvious opening scene of the Landing, the scene that got me most was the salty jewish soldier as he fought hand to hand in a bombed out building with a big German. Finally, the blade was pushed slowly, inexorably toward the Americans chest, as the American shook his head and gasped "don't..don't." The big German going "Shhh" like a father to a baby as the blade sunk into the American's chest,. The scene haunts me still.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
A Bridge Too Far
Midway (the new one)
Tora Tora Tora
In Harms Way
The Devils Brigade

And if we’re talking “war movies“ any of the John Ford Trilogy Cavalry movies, my favorite was She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

And if we really want to get old school

SGT York
Sahara (Humphrey Bogart)

Edit, How could I have left out The Longest Day

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apocalypse Now
bMBfoll.gif

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Ok, I have to say it.
While I appreciate all the love for one of my favs, the title is actually Stalag 17, not 14.
Whenever I hear the term, “anti-hero”, I think of William Holden in that movie.
“Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. Did you ever think of that?”

...and two more I almost forgot:
“Young Lions”, with Brando, Dean Martin, Montgomery Clift, and Maximilian Schell.

And might we consider “From Here to Eternity” here? Maybe not a lotta acton, but damn, wasn’t Burt Lancaster cool? Like, in any movie?

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Tropic Thunder!!!!

Thought Blackhawk Down was done really well. As far as old movies, Bridge over the River Kawai was good as well.

As a kid, Tour of Duty was my favorite show while it was on.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Crimson Tide is up there in my mind.
I liked it enough, but i felt like i knew exactly how it was going to unfold from the get go. Felt like the racial stuff between Denzel & Hackman was too forced also.

For anyone into horror/thriller stuff, there's a sleeper film called "Below"(2002) that is set in a WWII submarine that is underrated. Written/directed by David Twohy(Pitch Black Riddick series, The Arrival, Waterworld, The Fugitive).