Best War Movie of All Time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Because no 1 was that stupid.

I'm posting about movies that show the lives loss in Nam and WW2 and your posting about ?

Watch We Were Soldiers, maybe you might understand

Yo, easy.

I've not only seen We Were Soldiers as well as nearly every other war movie posted here, but I'm also a Service Connected Disabled Vet.

First time I was in a VA hospital was with a bunch of Korean War vets and it was about the funnest time in a hospital as they finally got someone new to tell their stories to and I got to be inducted into the brotherhood in the best way.

Sometimes absurdity can be a lens to greater truth.

Other times... shit's just funny, man... ya know?

oldnotdead

Legend
Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan both capture the horror of combat.

Catch 22 and Cross of Iron I read as books when I was 13 or 14. Cross of Iron and The Good Shepard (the book upon which Greyhound was based) both are among my favorite war books. There was another book that I can't remember the title of about a Sherman Tank crew from Utah Beach June 1944 to Germany, May 1945. It pulled no punches regarding the shortcomings of the tank but also showed how they adapted their tactics.

Fury captures the madness of war but falls way short on how the tanks were used. Fury is equipped with a high velocity 76mm gun that would have easily penetrated the side of the Tiger at as much as 1000 yds. In fact, Fury's gun could penetrate the frontal armor of a Tiger 1 at 500 yds. That gun was the same gun used on the M18 Hellcat TD which knocked out Panthers at Arracourt. In all fairness the short barrelled 75mm of the average Sherman wasn't the problem. The problem lies in the US ordinance dept never issuing HEAT rounds to the tankers. A 75mm HEAT round would penetrate even a Tiger's armor.

Both my brother and I served in Nam. We both never talked about it much in the same way our dad refused to talk about WW2. But now he's obsessed with it while I tend to avoid it. My son will be joining the AZ National Guard in 2 weeks as he wants to follow in the footsteps of my nephew who is career Army. Because of it, I've had long talks with him about the realities of service and combat. It dredged up a whole lot of repressed feelings and in a way, I think it was good. Many of us have PTSD and never know it.

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew
My favorite is Gallipoli

1617188630658.jpeg