Barksdale update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'll admit it. I'm conflicted about signing Barks. And even then only at a reasonable price, of course.

There is something to be said for having an experienced vet at ROT while you bring in rookies at C and OG. A vet that never seems to miss a game.

Yeah, he's no Pro Bowler. But he makes sense if we're thinking strategically. His presence frees S/F up to take any BPA at #10. That's huge, isn't it?

At worst, Barks is a placeholder for a year or two while a Collins type plays OG and is ready to assume ROT duties. It avoids the possibility of S/F painting themselves into a corner draft wise as they have in the past at QB and OL.

Another thing. A rookie ROT is no slam dunk to be a successful plug and play. We fans tend to forget the struggles of the majority of rookie OL players. Zack Martin was the exception, not the rule.

My personal best case scenario would include any 2 FA signings at C, OG, or ROT. Take BPA at #10 (could be an OT, of course). Then draft the rookies that they like for all those OL positions.

If all that happens, I'm one happy camper.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Guys, let's not forget that Barnes took a visit with the Chiefs before signing with us. I'm sure Barks and his agent will look at what Tenn is offering and take it back to STL. I'm sure we'll stick to what our offer is. I still think it's prob 60-40 that Barks signs with us before the draft. I think the Rams have done a great job valuing their free agents this offseason and haven't had a problem with any contract. I believe they assigned a good value to Barks and if he won't sign for it, then he actually turns into a "bad" player. You could argue that overpaying for a player reduces his net benefit to the team. The draft is also too rich in Oline prospects to overpay an average tackle. It would be nice to have him but not essential.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Let's also not forget that there might be some vet OTs that shake loose after the draft. It doesn't happen anywhere near as much as it used to in the past with how well rosters and caps are managed these days but usually there's one or two guys at a position that shake loose. They're by no means anything more than vet holdovers but they will be available.

NVram

UDFA
So what happened with the Titans visit? I don't even see people talking about it on their message boards. Did he actually go?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I could be wrong, but I think Barksdale really wants to be back.

Can't fault him for getting his market value understood.

paceram

Pro Bowler

Personally, I think that is good news! Barksdale may not be the best OT in the NFL but I think he is pretty good and for the right price (IF, that is possible) I think he would be a very valuable part of the Rams Offensive Line!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I sure hope he comes back before the draft so we go in only needing a guard (I think Jones or Rhainy will end up being the center) and we can get that in the second round. That leaves the first round to draft another playmaker!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I sure hope he comes back before the draft so we go in only needing a guard (I think Jones or Rhainy will end up being the center) and we can get that in the second round. That leaves the first round to draft another playmaker!

That's where my head is at too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
damn hope he takes some other visits and hope Rams steer clear and draft a RT

The great Barksdale-divide. That's what I love about this forum, we are all over the map on topics like this. (y)

I'd like him back, for sure. But there definitely is more than one way to get the line done.

Athos

Legend
damn hope he takes some other visits and hope Rams steer clear and draft a RT

Or maybe we get lucky and Davin Joseph made Barks look like such utter shit, we can get a solid RT back on the super cheap.

I mean......Joseph really is one of the worst OGs I've seen play the position for the Rams at least since Bradford was drafted. That's really saying something when Barry the Turnstile Richardson is also on that list.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully the Rams can get him on a short contract, draft a developmental tackle as the backup for next year and have a long term plan. That way the Rams can take the BPA - and if there isn't a good enough value trade down and get extra picks (maybe including a midrounder next year) and draft several linemen, a QB if there's one they think is worthwhile, etc

And I want them to get an extra pick for next year to help make it easier to move around the draft board for whichever player they crave. If they got a third for next year, that would give them an extra second and third to trade, leaving them in a nice trade position.

thehammer

Rookie
dead last in the nfl last year giving up 40 hurries and 6th worse with 7 sacks...unless he was playing hurt maybe we should move on

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yes @CGI_Ram The Barksdale debate does seem to be a polarizing one in deed. I for one try my best to be objective and take in as much info as possible. The fact he is still unsigned and making visits should help to more clearly define his true market value which in my opinion is still often overpriced for FA's. I am hopeful that any offer he and his agent may be tendered he brings back to the Rams front office out of courtesy. Ideally a short 1 to 2 year deal at a don't break the bank price would be great news being our options are not to our benefit.

As for Barksdale the player he holds his own against most but is a liability against the more talented speed rushers in the game and for that fact we usually have to game plan or just suffer through his inability to contain the quicker edge rushers he is assigned to block. joe's feet aren't quick enough and he is not athletic enough to compensate. All this being said he is usually adequate against most players he lines up across from.

Alan

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0ec0bef1-2be5-5ec3-8da3-019ab8b04903.html
Barksdale leaves Tennessee without a contract
Free agent tackle Joe Barksdale wrapped up a visit with the Tennessee Titans on Thursday and left Nashville without a deal.

It was the first known free agent visit for Barksdale, who recently married and spent part of the early free-agent period on his honeymoon.

The 27-year-old Barksdale has started 29 games at right tackle over the last two seasons with the Rams and remains a possibility to return. With veteran guard Rodger Saffold and left tackle Greg Robinson back, the Rams have openings at tackle, guard and center.

The only tackles on the roster are Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 draft, Garrett Reynolds, a recent free-agent pickup from Detroit who started four games at right tackle for the Lions last year and Steven Baker, an East Carolina product who spent nine weeks on the Rams' 2014 practice squad.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hopefully the Rams can get him on a short contract, draft a developmental tackle as the backup for next year and have a long term plan. That way the Rams can take the BPA - and if there isn't a good enough value trade down and get extra picks (maybe including a midrounder next year) and draft several linemen, a QB if there's one they think is worthwhile, etc

And I want them to get an extra pick for next year to help make it easier to move around the draft board for whichever player they crave. If they got a third for next year, that would give them an extra second and third to trade, leaving them in a nice trade position.
Agreed.
A short term deal would be a solid way to go. We need depth at the position. Barks had some issues last year with the pass rush, but he is a pretty solid run blocker.
I'm uncertain about him as the long term answer, but we could certainly do much worse with all the help we need on the oline.
I also agree with those that moving Saffold next to him could help. Maybe. .....maybe not.

jjab360

Legend
I mean......Joseph really is one of the worst OGs I've seen play the position for the Rams at least since Bradford was drafted. That's really saying something when Barry the Turnstile Richardson is also on that list.
I don't remember Richardson ever playing OG?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
What is the possibility of Barks moving inside if they bring him back and they draft a right tackle??