Barksdale update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Joseph Barksdale - T - Free Agent
Titans GM Ruston Webster hints the team has tabled its interest in free agent OT Joseph Barksdale until after the draft.

Aside from the Rams, the Titans were the only team known to express interest in Barksdale following the start of free agency. The 27 year old simply has zero market, and will likely end up returning to the Rams on a team-friendly contract.
Related: Titans

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter
Mar 30 - 3:20 PM

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be nice. Then sign one of the guards or Wis, have some internal options, and have plenty of leeway in the draft. Even if they take a tackle in the draft, it would be nice to not have to depend on a rookie starting at tackle especially.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Good, so the Rams can sign him as a back up very little money.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
This is awesome. If we can get him on a cheap deal, gives us more options to go after some other value FAs left over.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
This is awesome. If we can get him on a cheap deal, gives us more options to go after some other value FAs left over.

Maybe they end up with enough room to sign Barksdale and Blalock...

If that happens....suddenly, the Offensive line isn't such a glaring need.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He will come cheap on a long term deal but a 1 year with incentives could be the best option (although cost more)

Makes sense for him to establish his worth for next year.

Rams can use a 1 year deal as a bridge if needed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If true this is very good news for the Rams right now. Looks like JB & his agent seriously over priced Barksdale value on the open FA market. The UFA ORT market initially was weak & it looked like a sure sellers bonanza. My hope is that JB by this season end is the top ORT reserve & the Rams have found a much better well rounded starting ORT.

What should ROD fans take from this here, if this news does prove true & JB returns here at a Rams cap friendly cost?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If true this is very good news for the Rams right now. Looks like JB & his agent seriously over priced Barksdale value on the open FA market. The UFA ORT market initially was weak & it looked like a sure sellers bonanza. My hope is that JB by this season end is the top ORT reserve & the Rams have found a much better well rounded starting ORT.

What should ROD fans take from this here, if this news does prove true & JB returns here at a Rams cap friendly cost?

It means that while the Rams can find a good RT prospect in the draft - they wouldn't need to start him right away. And it wouldn't be a total crisis if they don't find one.

Add a quality OG now with Barnes signing, and while they still need upgrades it's not the imminent disaster it appeared to be just a day ago.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Good. Lets get him and Blalock signed.

LT Robinson
LG Blalock
C Rhaney/Barnes/Jones
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

Will say it until I'm blue in the face, but, if healthy, that would be a pretty decent offensive line. Perhaps the best this team has had in years. And more than good enough to win with, if the QB and Offensive Coordinator do their jobs.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
LT Robinson
LG Blalock
C Rhaney/Barnes/Jones
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

Will say it until I'm blue in the face, but, if healthy, that would be a pretty decent offensive line. Perhaps the best this team has had in years. And more than good enough to win with, if the QB and Offensive Coordinator do their jobs.

No, Rams must spend their first 2 picks on Offensive Linemen!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LT Robinson
LG Blalock
C Rhaney/Barnes/Jones
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

Yep. And if you add a young talented OL to the mix in the first 2 rounds...you now have a talented and deep OL.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Good, so the Rams can sign him as a back up very little money.

Man, have we bought and drank the cool aid. Owners make BILLIONS, only league without guarantee contracts and now refuse to install side line cameras to improve the game. They have persuaded us to celebrate cheap-skating players at every step.

As fans, I do not believe we are all that knowing.

Sorry for the rant. Have at me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Or even in later rounds with this draft class.
True, but we still need to add some premium talent. That starting 5 you posted plus a 5th or 6th rd guy shouldn't be the plan. This entire team is stocked with talent minus the OLine.

Memphis Ram

Legend
True, but we still need to add some premium talent. That starting 5 you posted plus a 5th or 6th rd guy shouldn't be the plan. This entire team is stocked with talent minus the OLine.

To date, the Rams don't have a 5th rounder so I doubt it. Either way premium talent isn't limited to the first couple of rounds. And I'd argue that the team ISN'T stocked with talent everywhere else, too. Especially not with premium talent. Not hardly.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Last years OL was just plain awful particularity on the right side....that OL cadre had ....

OLT-[R]Robinson/Person (Jake Long/IR)
OLG- Saffold/Washington
OC- Wells/Barnes/Jones (Demetrius Rhaney/IR)
ORG-Joseph/Bond{PS}
ORT-Barksdale/Baker{PS}

Lets just look at what we have currently along with the signing of Barnes & a likely signing of Barksdale....

OLT-Robinson/???????
OLG-Saffold/Washington
OC-Barnes/Jones/Rhaney
ORG-Reynolds/Bond
ORT-Barksdale/Baker

Sure looks like we may be in a much improved state @ center(y). Same starting OLG (y) but has an rehabbing event from surgery on going. Same reserve OLG:cool:. Same @ OLT (y). New starting ORG :cautious:. Same starting ORT :(. Big unknown @ reserve ORT:notsure:. No reserve OLT:eek:.

At this point in time it would appear as if the Rams have done very little in improving what was one of the worst NFL OL in 2014, yes "Captain Obvious". Premium Talent is needed @ OG & OT (this OT must be to swing).

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

I hope his wife spent a boat load on their honeymoon, making it imperative that he sign for almost anything to pay off the credit card balances...

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Yep. And if you add a young talented OL to the mix in the first 2 rounds...you now have a talented and deep OL.

Too true Jrry.

Plug Collins/Clemmings/Flowers in there to start/backup at RT/OG and it's starting to look a lot tidier