Back up offense lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Thanks for the sincere post.I get what your saying. The reason for this post heading into the draft is finding out what Ram Fans are saying about the Offensive Line.

I think the big picture is 2021 Offensive Line thread then.

If you start it,I’ll just add to it . That would be cool to look back from the start. We still don’t know what The Rams are thinking at Center ?
Okay, I will play.

The Rams enjoyed unusual health in 17 and 18, but not so much in 19 and the loss of Saffold was significant. The line was good in 20 but not as good as the stats show because McVay contracted the offense to paper over the line's weaknesses. Noteboom is a good backup but unless he develops Saffold-like core strength, he's not the long term answer. Sullivan was heady but he physically broke down and Allen/Blythe didn't upgrade what has been a weakness in the McVay era. Corbett was a cheap and effective fill-in but not my choice for long term success. Edwards was a steal and though Havenstein has to be schemed because speed rushers abuse him, he's a key cog in the running game. Battling through injury in 19 made him look less than he is so he picked up some bad habits technique-wise along the way. I expect Havs to be a Pro Bowl level performer next year.

In short, we need two interior maulers and a developmental LT. So Ram, your focus years ago and into this year may not seem relevant to others, but it is to me. However, the post about girlfriends kinda makes you look crazy. Just sayin...

dang

Legend
Okay, I will play.

The Rams enjoyed unusual health in 17 and 18, but not so much in 19 and the loss of Saffold was significant. The line was good in 20 but not as good as the stats show because McVay contracted the offense to paper over the line's weaknesses. Noteboom is a good backup but unless he develops Saffold-like core strength, he's not the long term answer. Sullivan was heady but he physically broke down and Allen/Blythe didn't upgrade what has been a weakness in the McVay era. Corbett was a cheap and effective fill-in but not my choice for long term success. Edwards was a steal and though Havenstein has to be schemed because speed rushers abuse him, he's a key cog in the running game. Battling through injury in 19 made him look less than he is so he picked up some bad habits technique-wise along the way. I expect Havs to be a Pro Bowl level performer next year.

In short, we need two interior maulers and a developmental LT. So Ram, your focus years ago and into this year may not seem relevant to others, but it is to me. However, the post about girlfriends kinda makes you look crazy. Just sayin...
As much as i’d like to see some quality defensive picks in this years draft it’s time to shore up the OL. We have a top 10 (or better) QB and RB if we can provide maximum pass protection and dominant run blocking. Perhaps Anchrum and Evans will step up this year but I expect multiple OL draft picks which has to include long term solution at center.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Okay, I will play.

It’s solid take and appreciate the feed back. I’ve looked at the past as well,so I find the 2021 a little different than the past. I’ll break it down,and I haven’t seen anyone stat The Rams (Mcvay’s) system.It is a team concept and different from other NFL teams.
IMO - after this draft & preseason it will become more clear.I’m not saying I know it all or anything really at all.It’s an observation.

Right now I’ll say Bobby Evans has to be included in any future conversations.He started for David Edwards in the Playoffs.Joe Noteboom I believed came in to replace D.Edwards when he got hurt during the last game of the season.
My memory is not solid about it.I do know I was surprised to see Evans at LG ,because he started the end of 2019 season at RT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As much as i’d like to see some quality defensive picks in this years draft it’s time to shore up the OL. We have a top 10 (or better) QB and RB if we can provide maximum pass protection and dominant run blocking. Perhaps Anchrum and Evans will step up this year but I expect multiple OL draft picks which has to include long term solution at center.

The Center is The Center piece of it all.It’s like having all the puzzle solved,but know what the final piece look like.If we as RAM FANS had the answer to who will play Center it would make things A LOT more clear.

Chandler Brewer should make The Roster. I don’t understand your thinking though about the offensive line though. -Well I do if your going to cut a lot of The OL ??
—Brian Allen is the biggest question mark.I don’t see The Rams drafting any OFFENSIVE LINEMAN again in 2021.Anchrum is the type of player The Rams will look to sign after the draft.

—To be clear Landon Dickerson will not get past The Rams at #58.There are 2 other Centers I like as well?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well like most the expectations fell short at Center.I personally thought a trade back was the way to go.Landon Dickerson never did past The Rams.
I’m not a Brian Allen Fan,just not because of when,where, & how he became The Rams starter.Then from other issues I personally didn’t like about his 2020 season.The fact he never really made it on the roster on game day. Which I believe he did,but was kept of it as well.I’m different than Bonifay’d & think he can & will only be The Rams center or backup Center.Either way he is only a Center.

I also don’t see Austin Corbett as The Rams starting Center.To say it won’t happen is like saying whatever backup player won’t start at any position.Meaning as an example of Austin Blythe being the starting RG & was The Rams starting Center the last 1 1/2 plus seasons.A perfect example of both position as well as the growth of The Rams Offensive Line.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Who knows? The majority of Ramsnation wanted to see them draft a center. Expected them to draft a center. Hell expected them to draft a center and an OT with Whitworth's age and health. Then they don't, so we go back to,
"Austin Corbett was obtained with center in mind (2 days after Noteboom was injured) because Brian Allen sucked". :thinking:

or "They're so tight against the cap and their roster of OL is relatively cheap, so they want to keep them" :facepalm:

or "Stafford is a jack rabbit and will ease the pressure on pass pro" :explode:

Everything except for the rare.... "they actually believe in the lineman they have on roster". :part:

To which the reply is "they're making a huge fooking mistake!!!!":quiet:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Who knows? The majority of Ramsnation wanted to see them draft a center. Expected them to draft a center. Hell expected them to draft a center and an OT with Whitworth's age and health. Then they don't, so we go back to,
"Austin Corbett was obtained with center in mind (2 days after Noteboom was injured) because Brian Allen sucked". :thinking:

or "They're so tight against the cap and their roster of OL is relatively cheap, so they want to keep them" :facepalm:

or "Stafford is a jack rabbit and will ease the pressure on pass pro" :explode:

Everything except for the rare.... "they actually believe in the lineman they have on roster". :part:

To which the reply is "they're making a huge fooking mistake!!!!":quiet:

I don’t get the Negative in the first place. -Austin Blythe just signed with a 2 Time SuperBowl team. The season before that he was the starting RG for another team that went to the SuperBowl. —That is just basic for a perfect reject.
Yeah - I know all the love for Roger Saffold. I also remember all The Rams fans saying he is done.Will never be a good offensive lineman because he is to injury prone.
I say come on in doubters!! Let’s talk about how bad The Rams Offensive Line is depth is ? Maybe even how bad The starters are ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Okay, I will play.

Leon, I think your post draft insight was very creative & extremely funny.
You have good connections. Havenstien was a player I thought had trade value & a big contract.Once the dirt clears he really is a team leader & core Offensive Lineman. His contract going into 2022 will be Ram Friendly.He is 1 of 3 starters signed for 2022 ? Whitworth might have signed a 3 year,but think there was an option? Not a contract numbers guy. Just somewhat recall him resigning last year 2020.

Last edited: