Available roster spots for rookies

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I personally think Deayon could be a find. Granted it was only hard knocks, but I was impressed. In fact, I'm currently of the opinion that he's a better CB than Long, although I could easily be wrong about that.

If one of them went down I think we would be fine - we would still have a top 10 CB, a rookie with potential, and then Long/Deayon/Burgess to man the slot. We would go from the best CB room in the NFL down to a middling one (if Ramsey went down), but that's also the risk of paying one player $20 million.

I'm also totally happy to bring in a vet to compete though. Like you said, iron sharpens iron.

I am not saying it's current and accurate but Dont'e Deayon is listed at about the same size as Tutu Atwell ... 5' 9" and 160 lbs.

dang

Legend
Neither Snead nor McVay have returned my calls lately but if they did I’d try to convince them to add a FA CB and EDGE.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If they do decide to add vets, a vet RB might make sense in case Akers goes down and since Henderson is always nicked. Might not want Xavier Jones picking up blintzes to protect your 33 yr old star QB.

dang

Legend
If they do decide to add vets, a vet RB might make sense in case Akers goes down and since Henderson is always nicked. Might not want Xavier Jones picking up blintzes to protect your 33 yr old star QB.
Todd Gurley?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Here's my take on our roster/practice squad.

QB - Matthew Stafford, Bryce Perkins.

(The first shocker. Yeah, I think Perkins earns the backup job for this team; he can play special teams, he's fast, and I think his throwing motion will have improved.)

RB - Cam Akers, Darrell Henderson, Xavier Jones, Jake Funk.

(Akers and Henderson should have the lion's share of the carries, barring injuries. Jones and Funk will be on special teams.)

TE - Tyler Higbee, Jacob Harris, Brycen Hopkins, Ben Skowronek (FB/HB/TE/WR).

(The next - somewhat - shocker: Mundt is cut. Honestly, I think Skowronek is a better version of Mundt and could eventually be used as the all-purpose weapon we wished Sam Rogers would turn into.)

WR - Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Van Jefferson, Desean Jackson, Chatavius Atwell, Jeremiah Haydel

(Woods, Kupp, and Jefferson should start, especially if Jackson gets hurt. Atwell gets a couple of reps this season, while Haydel is talented, insanely fast and quick, and can return punts and kicks.)

OL - Andrew Whitworth, David Edwards, Austin Corbett, Bobby Evans, Rob Havenstein, Chandler Brewer, Tremayne Anchrum, Joseph Noteboom, Alaric Jackson.

(The starters aren't much of a surprise; I think Corbett is a much better option at center than Allen or Shelton. I think Jackson makes the team. Brewer is the swing tackle, Anchrum is the interior backup, and Noteboom is there in case Whit falters.)

DL - Aaron Donald, A'Shawn Robinson, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines, Bobby Brown III, Earnest Brown IV.

(AD is AD. SJD, Robinson, and Gaines form the rest of the vet core. BB3 and EB4 will take the remaining two slots.)

LB - Leonard Floyd, Kenny Young, Ernest Jones, Justin Hollins, Terrell Lewis, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Micah Kiser, Travin Howard, Christian Rozeboom.

(Honestly, I think Jones has the best chance out of all of the rookies to start, and if he's alongside Young (and if Young isn't cut for cap purposes), I think he could very well thrive. Floyd and Hollins are the starters, but keep an eye on Terrell Lewis; I think he breaks out this year. Kiser and Howard are solid backups/ST players and Okoronkwo should be solid as well, but all three are on their last year. Rozeboom rounds out the remainder. No, I don't think Reeder makes the roster.)

DB - Jalen Ramsey, Darious Williams, Jordan Fuller, Taylor Rapp. Terrell Burgess (nickelback/third safety), David Long, Robert Rochell, Nick Scott, J.R. Reed, Paris Ford.

(The first four names - Ramsey, Williams, Fuller, and Rapp are probably starters. The nickelback position, I think, will be filled in by Burgess, although I think Long could make a solid case to earn snaps. Rochell, Scott, Reed, and Ford will be special teams.)

ST - Matt Gay, Corey Bojorquez, Steven Wirtel.

(Honestly, I think the writing is on the wall for Hekker. I hate my gut feeling, but given his age and cost, I think we end up cutting - or maybe even trading, if we're really lucky - him and replacing him with a younger punter who did well last season I also think that Wirtel wins the long snapper competition. Gay is obvious, though.)

Practice Squad: JuJu Hughes (S), Eric Banks (DE), Chris Garrett (OLB), Trishton Jackson (WR), Michael Hoecht (NT), Jonah Williams (DE), Brandon Wright (K/P), Derrick Moncrief (ILB), Raymond Calais (RB),

(I like Banks, Hoecht, and Williams a lot. I think they all have potential. Hughes did well in limited time. Jackson is an interesting receiver, Garrett is our pick, and Wright both kicks and punts, so he could potentially do both if - fate forbid - one of our guys is injured/ill. Moncrief is an inside linebacker; Calais is a running back/kick returner. I'm assuming we'll sign two cornerbacks and at least one other linebacker.)

So there. All critiques are welcome.

I like it a lot. The only small change I would make is I see Hoecht making the team. They seem really high on him.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I know Howard was supposed to be the starter last year before his injury but was he going to be the starter because the staff really liked him or was it because no one else stepped up? I really don't know and haven't heard much about him.

Yea by all accounts he was looking great, both McVay and Staley spoke about him last year. He had a great off-season and was in line to start. I like Ernest Jones a lot after watching some of his tape and even more so after hearing his interview with the Rams beat writers. He's got a great head on his shoulders, seems very grounded and intelligent. I think Howard and Jones will end up being our two starting ILBs sooner rather than later.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought he was training camp fodder....but the more I see of Funk, the more I think he could make the roster as the last RB (due to his ST ability). He seems like a great value player at the bottom of the roster, due to his versatile nature.

watch