Australian Rules Football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Shit, I wish I could have played this when I was younger and fast with some moves! Now I pull a hammie getting up to get another beer.. :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

Basically the top 8 qualify for the finals with the top 4 getting 2 chances. 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3, 5 plays 8 and 6 plays 7. Losers of 1-4 matches play winners of 5 - 8 whilst winners of 1 - 4 go through to what is called a prelim final awaiting the winners of the remaining games. Winners of the 2 prelim finals play off in the Grand Final.

Clear as mud!! :)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Starts back on June 11th. Cannot wait!! No crowds as yet.

An explanation...

View: https://youtu.be/XMZYZcoAcU0

Had to laugh at the comment that some are as fast as WR's -- not quite. :rolleyes:

I love watching that sport. Glad to see that it will be starting up again. All the US sports so far strike me as preseason/training camp games. Hopefully you guys find a way to make it more energetic from a fan perspective.

Ramrocket

Name
Rod
I love watching that sport. Glad to see that it will be starting up again. All the US sports so far strike me as preseason/training camp games. Hopefully you guys find a way to make it more energetic from a fan perspective.

The AFL head honchos have moved most of the games to Queensland with a smattering of games in Sth Australaia and Western Australia. There are currently no games in Victoria. For the 1st time ever, the Grand final will be played somewhere other than Melbourne - in Brisbane, my hometown!! - with smaller crowds so social distancing can be achieved at the grounds. There will be around 30 000 at the Grand final which is a far cry from the 100 000 that would have been there had Melbourne been able to keep the game.

I've been to quite a few games this year as my team, the Lions, are doing well but have also been able to see other non Lions games that we would otherwise not normally have been able to see live. It has been handled pretty well all things considered.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The AFL head honchos have moved most of the games to Queensland with a smattering of games in Sth Australaia and Western Australia. There are currently no games in Victoria. For the 1st time ever, the Grand final will be played somewhere other than Melbourne - in Brisbane, my hometown!! - with smaller crowds so social distancing can be achieved at the grounds. There will be around 30 000 at the Grand final which is a far cry from the 100 000 that would have been there had Melbourne been able to keep the game.

I've been to quite a few games this year as my team, the Lions, are doing well but have also been able to see other non Lions games that we would otherwise not normally have been able to see live. It has been handled pretty well all things considered.

Good to hear you’ve been able to enjoy some footy RR ... always best to watch AFL live.

I‘ve been watching Hawthorn games on TV from the prison state that is Melbourne. Haven’t seen any other games , haven’t got enthused about it at all. Probably mainly due to the Hawks poor season.... but shortened games, inconsistent umpiring and players getting away with constantly throwing the ball rather than handballing has left me a little jaded... and longing for the NFL season to start.

Good luck to the Lions in the finals I hope they do well.

TK42-RAM

Close.

Brief history..

Back when I was a lad it was a final four - we had twelve teams all from the state of Victoria where I am from.

1v2 Semi Final - winner to the Grand Final Loser to play the winner of the 3v4 Elimination Final

The winner of 2v3 would play 1 in the Grand Final.

Then it moved to a Final Five - In 1982 South Melbourne moved to Sydney to become the Sydney Swans and became the first team to play outside of Victoria.

In 1987 West Coast (from Perth) and the Brisbane Bears (from Brisbane) joined the competition. Making three teams from outside Victoria. In 1990 the VFL (Victorian Football League) became known as the AFL (Australian Football League). In 1991 Adelaide (South Australia) joined the competition, followed by Fremantle (Western Australia) in 1995. Fitzroy (from Victoria) merged with the Brisbane Bears to become the Brisbane Lions in 1996. Port Adelaide (SA) joined the competition in 1997 and more recently the Gold Coast Suns (Queensland) and the Greater Western Sydney Giants (NSW) joined in 2011 & 2012 respectively. This meant the comp was made up of 10 from Victoria, 2 each from WA, SA, NSW & Queensland.

49254927454a32d8bee2a74a3c88eb56.jpg

The finals system went briefly to a final six but is now a final eight.

The finals are split into the top four and the bottom four...

AFL-Final-Eight.jpg

TK42-RAM

Correct -- basically 1-4 have a double chance and 5-8 do not - the higher ranked team has the home ground advantage throughout the finals except when it comes to the Grand Final where it has always been played at the MCG - apart from this year.

There are probably fairer ways to do it - such as conferences - but the AFL are always reluctant to decrease games and therefore decrease $$$.

The regular season has always had 22 rounds which is a throwback to when it was a twelve team competition. So each team plays each other once and then its a lottery as to who you are to play twice - so you may play top teams from the previous year twice - there is nothing fair about the system.

This covid year the AFL have scrambled together a fixture on the fly where there are 17 rounds and each team plays each other once.

Victoria ís in a hard lockdown so the ten Victorian teams have had to play interstate for the majority of the year and be in hubs. It's a travelling circus and it's fair to say that my team Hawthorn has not handled it well.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I want to watch one of these games soon so I can feel like a 9 year old again watching my first Game o_0 lol

Looks interesting asf. Which is more violent and fast paced? ASF or Rugby?

TK42-RAM

Australian Rules is faster , Rugby League is more brutal. Rugby League is played by TE’s , AFL Is played more by WR’s and Basketball players.

Ramrocket

Name
Rod
Rugby Union would be the most physical of the 3 but AFL is definitely the fastest

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I just wish my cable service had this available to watch :)

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
Don't totally understand the rules even when I read them on Wikipedia. But for some reason I just love watching the sport. I will usually DVR the games and watch them the next day when I should be watching college football. Love the athletic skill as well as the players ability to figure out exactly what to do with the ball. I like the cool name for it: Footy. Wonderful sport. I guess I will totally catch on after about 500 viewings or so.

TK42-RAM

Don't totally understand the rules even when I read them on Wikipedia. But for some reason I just love watching the sport. I will usually DVR the games and watch them the next day when I should be watching college football. Love the athletic skill as well as the players ability to figure out exactly what to do with the ball. I like the cool name for it: Footy. Wonderful sport. I guess I will totally catch on after about 500 viewings or so.

Haha -- I'm sure you'll get the idea.

In the meantime here is a highlights package of one of my favourite players of all time...

Cyril Rioli.

View: https://youtu.be/hsJXSwvk5hg