Austin Blythe expects to be Rams' starting center this season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This off another site and maybe my eyes deceive me, but I respect this poster and he seems to know some high profile scouts so...

I did watch the games. Allen > Blythe at center. Allen only issue is health. Strenth > Blythe, quickness > Blythe

from major scout how he sees----

Rams' O-line as a no brainer-- LT- Notebloom replaces Whitworth, IF HEALTHY-- LG-- Corbett-- OC-- Allen ( Blythe a major miss at c or g)-- Edwards at RG but too tall. (6062--no starter-level taller 6057)--RT-- Evans -- Top views end 2019.( mmA for Blythe). Key: bite bullet on below average tackles.

No offense, this guy been doing to over 40 years, NFL teams pay him...I trust him. Know his son, shared with me.

Blythe is "killing them" is another quote.

So, PFF and this guy, again, no offense have more gravtias than you or me.

Teams make mistakes all the time...fall in love with average or below average players. THis same scouting group talked Rams into Timmerman when Hanifan wanted to keep Wiegert...lots involved, but Rams got Timmerman in 99 and rest is histor
y.

Ram65

Legend
Anyone has access to PFF to get all the grades as Bythe is listed as 50.2 overall grade while B Allen is listed at 58.6.? I would like to see the grades for Bythe at different positions. Blythe had that ankle injury (and shoulders) that I know slowed him down. His grade at OG in 2018 was 76.8 when he was at OG. That's a big drop off.

I'm not sure why McVay would hand the job to Blythe in the offseason outside of getting him to sign a one year deal. I thought they were close and thought Allen got to second level blocks very well. Both get pushed back by bigger NTs at times. I have been rewatching some games (Ram wins) and didn't see Allen as being terrible as many have stated. I think they should still have a competition and not give Bythe the job. Outside of Whitworth, all spots should be open. At some point, Noteboom could pass Whitworth and be the best for the LT position. Sometimes a year can make a big difference after someone gets a little experience.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Keep saying it irt Allen... He needs to drastically improve his pass pro in order to start. Half his game is shit. He does run block very well though, and he pulls extremely well making blocks on the move. But there is zero chance he gets off that bench without his pass pro making big strides in camp.

So it's hard to depend on him, but it's also hard to write him off. Blythe IMO is the "Allen insurance policy" in the event he doesn't improve. But Blythe will definitely "kill them" again if he ends up as the starter because he's a guy teams can expose in scheme.

There is that caveat of having two badass OGs next to a weak center, where that can work quite well. But I don't think we have the makings of two badass OGs. Maybe one if we're lucky. But at this point that hope is all we have.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And I'll add this while I'm thinking about it... IF Blythe starts the season on the bench (not due to injury but because he was beaten out by Allen or someone else) it will be a very good indicator for our chances to have a good OL this season. So here's hoping that's how things go down in this camp or whatever the fuck you want to call it. In other words I don't know that they're going to get the work they need on physicality and if that happens it will benefit Blythe.

oldnotdead

Legend
This off another site and maybe my eyes deceive me, but I respect this poster and he seems to know some high profile scouts so...

I did watch the games. Allen > Blythe at center. Allen only issue is health. Strenth > Blythe, quickness > Blythe

Rams' O-line as a no brainer-- LT- Notebloom replaces Whitworth, IF HEALTHY-- LG-- Corbett-- OC-- Allen ( Blythe a major miss at c or g)-- Edwards at RG but too tall. (6062--no starter-level taller 6057)--RT-- Evans -- Top views end 2019.( mmA for Blythe). Key: bite bullet on below average tackles.

No offense, this guy been doing to over 40 years, NFL teams pay him...I trust him. Know his son, shared with me.

Teams make mistakes all the time...fall in love with average or below average players. THis same scouting group talked Rams into Timmerman when Hanifan wanted to keep Wiegert...lots involved, but Rams got Timmerman in 99 and rest is histor
y.

Merlin has shown quite clearly on this board with his game clips just how bad Blythe's play is either at OG and C. He's slow (i.e. lacks quickness) and IMO he lacks field vision. He also has a poor play radius due to his physical metrics and it shows in how easily the better pass rushers discard him. His lack of field vision shows when he tries and struggles to make second level blocks. As a center in a gap blocking scheme like the Rams tried to install, he simply struggles.

His play is so bad you don't have to be an expert to see it. You simply have to watch his play in isolation. He's the only center I've ever seen in the NFL to fall flat on his face when trying to pull. No one hit or tripped him, he just lost his balance and fell on his face and missed his block. The defender he missed ended up making the play for a loss or no gain.

All indications are the Rams want to emulate the Niners power gap run scheme with a version of their own. The center must be mobile because his blocks will often be key to the success of the play. Who has to get hurt because of his play? Goff, Akers or Henderson?

There are very good reasons even PFF grades him as barely adequate. If Allen is healthy and Blythe starts then Kromer should be immediately fired because it proves he simply doesn't watch game film like he's supposed to. I'm no expert and I've been saying it for years. I would rather see Shelton start before Blythe. IMO Blythe is only on the team because of the COVID depth issue teams are facing. Without the pandemic, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just want solid consistent play from who ever starts at C. Not asking much....

Ram65

Legend

There are some people questioning if Blythe is clearly better at OC over Allen.

I did watch the games. Allen > Blythe at center. Allen only issue is health. Strength > Blythe, quickness > Blythe

I have been pointing out that Blythe had injuries and that could have been part of the reason for his dramatic drop in PFF grade which is well below Allen's grade. Apparently the Rams liked Blythe enough to give him the contract. I think Blythes versatility to play both OC and OG partly the reason they wanted to resign him. When Blythe was resigned the pandemic had not blossomed into limiting practice and canceling exhibition games so the Rams could have left the door open a little open for competition. I don't think the door is shut on Allen. Should an OG go down the Rams could move Blythe back to OG and Allen could take over at OC. Still, a long way to go until practice and games.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Merlin has shown quite clearly on this board with his game clips just how bad Blythe's play is either at OG and C. He's slow (i.e. lacks quickness) and IMO he lacks field vision. He also has a poor play radius due to his physical metrics and it shows in how easily the better pass rushers discard him. His lack of field vision shows when he tries and struggles to make second level blocks. As a center in a gap blocking scheme like the Rams tried to install, he simply struggles.

His play is so bad you don't have to be an expert to see it. You simply have to watch his play in isolation. He's the only center I've ever seen in the NFL to fall flat on his face when trying to pull. No one hit or tripped him, he just lost his balance and fell on his face and missed his block. The defender he missed ended up making the play for a loss or no gain.

All indications are the Rams want to emulate the Niners power gap run scheme with a version of their own. The center must be mobile because his blocks will often be key to the success of the play. Who has to get hurt because of his play? Goff, Akers or Henderson?

There are very good reasons even PFF grades him as barely adequate. If Allen is healthy and Blythe starts then Kromer should be immediately fired because it proves he simply doesn't watch game film like he's supposed to. I'm no expert and I've been saying it for years. I would rather see Shelton start before Blythe. IMO Blythe is only on the team because of the COVID depth issue teams are facing. Without the pandemic, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Disagree- Blythe was signed before all the C-19 stuff. He has also been rehabbing with The Rams since the end of the season.

You talk all the trash you want about KromerThe Rams, Blythe, & any one sled you want. It still doesn’t make it true.

I hope the season is better than you seem to be announcing. Yes- your knowledge is good, but your expertise on player evaluation & coaching lacks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Very well done - it will be interesting,but Imo Blythe is an underrated Center. Allen I hold into question, but odds are odds.I’ll lay the juice on Blythe for any one who wants action

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There are some people questioning if Blythe is clearly better at OC over Allen.

I have been pointing out that Blythe had injuries and that could have been part of the reason for his dramatic drop in PFF grade which is well below Allen's grade. Apparently the Rams liked Blythe enough to give him the contract. I think Blythes versatility to play both OC and OG partly the reason they wanted to resign him. When Blythe was resigned the pandemic had not blossomed into limiting practice and canceling exhibition games so the Rams could have left the door open a little open for competition. I don't think the door is shut on Allen. Should an OG go down the Rams could move Blythe back to OG and Allen could take over at OC. Still, a long way to go until practice and games.

Agree - I think Blythe is back because of the relationship & trust Jared Goff has of him at Center. He said so much on his early interview in March.
Allen was a Fortnight gamer with Goff last offseason. The relationship has not been the same since last season.

I like how the O”Line has bonded since mid-season 2019. Whitworth & Goff are a big part of that. I think the future is bright there & the DEPTH will SHINE in the future.
I see The Rams being competitive for YEARS & this group will be a Huge part of it as time goes.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
No offensive line upgrades is crazy. Some a lot of offensive turn it around after a year or two. Just worried about Hav and Whit on the edges.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yes.
I like my linemen to have a mean streak in them.
So you must be a big fan of this guy.
incognito_thumb_240x331.jpg

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think this is the Rams thought process in a nutshell concerning Center;

Rookie? No.

Bring a guy in who's somebody second-stringer that we have to trade a draft pick for and has to learn a new system? No or no one available that they liked.

Blythe looked above-average at Center. Yes.

We still have an experienced and hopefully stronger Allen for a couple years. Yes.

We have several players we can convert to Center in Corbett and Ancrum. Yes.

I don't really see where we have some long list of options other than to stick with the *best*/ most experienced player we have there in Blythe.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think this is the Rams thought process in a nutshell concerning Center;

Rookie? No.

Bring a guy in who's somebody second-stringer that we have to trade a draft pick for and has to learn a new system? No or no one available that they liked.

Blythe looked above-average at Center. Yes.

We still have an experienced and hopefully stronger Allen for a couple years. Yes.

We have several players we can convert to Center in Corbett and Ancrum. Yes.

I don't really see where we have some long list of options other than to stick with the *best*/ most experienced player we have there in Blythe.

I call Total BS on this FREAKIN

Austin Corbett at CENTER !!!!!

EXTRA EXTRA
BS