Austin Blythe expects to be Rams' starting center this season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Austin Blythe expects to be Rams' starting center this season

Cameron DaSilva

The offensive line was a clear weak spot on the Rams’ roster last season, turning into a revolving door with eight different players starting at least six games. The unit is hardly sorted out heading into 2020, but it seems two positions already have starters lined up.

We’ve known that Andrew Whitworth will be the left tackle after signing a three-year extension, but after hearing Austin Blythe discuss his expectations, it seems he’s already locked up the starting center job.

He appeared on the Rams Revealed podcast with J.B. Long and all but confirmed he’ll be the starting center this season over Brian Allen. Long said that his conversations with Sean McVay indicated that Blythe will be the starting center, so he asked Blythe if that’s the feeling he’s gotten from the Rams, too.

Full Article--
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1595967998524.png

Cameron DaSilva

2 hours ago
The offensive line was a clear weak spot on the Rams’ roster last season, turning into a revolving door with eight different players starting at least six games. The unit is hardly sorted out heading into 2020, but it seems two positions already have starters lined up.

We’ve known that Andrew Whitworth will be the left tackle after signing a three-year extension, but after hearing Austin Blythe discuss his expectations, it seems he’s already locked up the starting center job.

He appeared on the Rams Revealed podcast with J.B. Long and all but confirmed he’ll be the starting center this season over Brian Allen. Long said that his conversations with Sean McVay indicated that Blythe will be the starting center, so he asked Blythe if that’s the feeling he’s gotten from the Rams, too.

“Yeah, yeah. And I think that was one of the main reasons why I came back to the Rams,” he said. “Because I came into the league initially thinking that I’d be a center. I never had an inkling that I’d start significant games at guard. I knew that a possibility just based on my position coming into the league, being an interior offensive lineman, playing those positions in college. But I did not by any means think I’d have this many starts at guard over center. So I’m very excited for the opportunity to play a position I’m very comfortable in and excited to grow off those eight games that I played in last year at center.”

The Rams re-signed Blythe to a one-year deal this offseason after he hit free agency, and it’s not as if he was paid like someone who would be a backup. His deal is worth $3.9 million with $3.5 million of that guaranteed for just one season.

Connecting the dots between his contract and his recent comments about playing center, it sure seems like he’ll be the one snapping the ball to Jared Goff to start the 2020 season.

Long asked Blythe how being the “assumed starting center” will impact his preparation and mindset heading into this season, and the fifth-year veteran didn’t downplay the significance.
“I think it has a huge impact. Last year going into the season, I didn’t take any reps at center. I would go out there for center-quarterback exchange five minutes before practice started and get some snaps there, but that’s just snapping the football – that’s easy to do,” he said. “In terms of actually preparing at the center spot, it’s a different animal. You’re on the line of scrimmage, you’re closer to the guy you’re going to have to block, versus guard where you’re a little bit further off the ball. Guys have a little bit more space to make moves – it just takes longer at the guard spot. I know it seems minuscule, but it does make a difference. So that sort of thing, I’ll be able to get comfortable with before even having to play a game versus going in there second quarter of the Steelers game and going with it on the fly. Offensive line is offensive line, but there are little nuances to different positions on the line.”

As Blythe said, he came into the league as a center before transitioning to guard out of necessity with the Rams. Now that he’s in line to start at center again, his confidence level should rise.

Assuming he is the Week 1 starter, it spells bad news for Allen, who injured his MCL and was placed on IR in November. He’s still recovering from the injury and he doesn’t have any experience at guard, nor the size to play anywhere but center.

He could be a backup to Blythe in 2020, or worse yet, a surprise camp cut when the Rams trim their roster to 53 players.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I hope Brian Allen proves me wrong, but I didn't like the pick when the Rams made it, i liked him less when he started and I now detest him for being the cause of Noteboom's injury.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"Austin Blythe expects to be Rams' starting center this season"

386199da547e2f4b72c313b2d49398bc_w200.gif

MachS

Hall of Fame
Meh better than Brian Allen

Yea this is where I'm at. I think Blythe is just an average NFL starter when he's playing at his best, but is often below-average and gets dominated physically. But he's still better than Brian Allen and seemed better at making protection calls at the line.

I assume it will be Edwards and Corbett at the guard spots, and when you look at it on paper: Corbett, Blythe, Edwards in the middle, I just wonder how Goff isn't going to have pressure up the middle in his face on majority of pass plays. And how will these three players be able to get consistent push in the running game? They sure didn't play well in the run game last year when they played together. Our entire season comes down to these three guys....Well I guess Havenstein getting back to his old self too....and Whitworth getting back to his young self o_O.

God help us lol

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I just don't know what Kromer's fixation with Blythe and Allen are. They're both below-average players.

And again, even though I've mentioned this a million times before, I'd put Corbett at center with Evans and Edwards at left and right guard respectively. Of course, if Havenstein falters, I don't know what the hell we're going to do.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I just don't know what Kromer's fixation with Blythe and Allen are. They're both below-average players.

And again, even though I've mentioned this a million times before, I'd put Corbett at center with Evans and Edwards at left and right guard respectively. Of course, if Havenstein falters, I don't know what the hell we're going to do.
You should tell Kromer instead of us. ;)

rams1fan

Pro Bowler

They only gave Blythe a one year contract. That is not fixated.

dang

Legend
We didn’t know it at the time but bringing in Sullivan who was above average and Whit who still very good turned the Rams OL around. That same infusion needs to occur organically with Corbett and Edwards improving from average to very good. We know what we have with Whit and Blythe. Hav will likely get back to above average with a year of healing behind him. Id still feel better if we could pull a good center out of the hat.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yea this is where I'm at. I think Blythe is just an average NFL starter when he's playing at his best, but is often below-average and gets dominated physically. But he's still better than Brian Allen and seemed better at making protection calls at the line.

I assume it will be Edwards and Corbett at the guard spots, and when you look at it on paper: Corbett, Blythe, Edwards in the middle, I just wonder how Goff isn't going to have pressure up the middle in his face on majority of pass plays. And how will these three players be able to get consistent push in the running game? They sure didn't play well in the run game last year when they played together. Our entire season comes down to these three guys....Well I guess Havenstein getting back to his old self too....and Whitworth getting back to his young self o_O.

God help us lol

22 sacks dude. Blythe does a good job on picking up delayed blitzers.

Goff trust him & said so when he got resigned before the draft that he liked the O”Line coming back.

All good. Fans can complain all they want. No breaking news here.

MachS

Hall of Fame
22 sacks dude. Blythe does a good job on picking up delayed blitzers.

Goff trust him & said so when he got resigned before the draft that he liked the O”Line coming back.

All good. Fans can complain all they want. No breaking news here.

Come on man seriously? Lmao. If you're saying us only giving up 22 sacks last year is an indication that the OL didnt play bad, then you need to go back and watch the games again. The pass blocking was terrible and the run blocking was worse.

The sack numbers dont look bad because we have an amazing coach who saw the issue and during the season and changed two big things. One he tweaked our protections and started moving the pocket with roll outs on majority of all pass plays, and two we started running a ton of two-TE personnel. Thats why we didnt have a deep passing game last year because we were focused on getting rid of the ball due to no trust in holding up 1-on-1 blocks.

As I said Blythe is better than Brian Allen, thats a no brainer. But dont trick yourself into thinking Blythe is a quality NFL lineman because hes not. Average at best.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am expecting more 12 personnel to help with the run blocking.

The Rams will carry 4 TE’s. The tell will be what Washington did last season late in the season. I”Connell is going to play a big roll on play calling.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Come on man seriously? Lmao. If you're saying us only giving up 22 sacks last year is an indication that the OL didnt play bad, then you need to go back and watch the games again. The pass blocking was terrible and the run blocking was worse.

The sack numbers dont look bad because we have an amazing coach who saw the issue and during the season and changed two big things. One he tweaked our protections and started moving the pocket with roll outs on majority of all pass plays, and two we started running a ton of two-TE personnel. Thats why we didnt have a deep passing game last year because we were focused on getting rid of the ball due to no trust in holding up 1-on-1 blocks.

As I said Blythe is better than Brian Allen, thats a no brainer. But dont trick yourself into thinking Blythe is a quality NFL lineman because hes not. Average at best.

Well if you go back a read the article. Austin Blythe explains EXACTLY the way I view him & have been saying for a few years NOW !!!

Just because I didn’t like him at guards doesn’t mean he can’t be a solid NFL Center!!!
He is on a prove it contract.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I concur I do think Blythe is a much better Center than Guard and he's very smart. so the the line calls & adjustments should be correct, however, I like Centers bigger always have. I loved John Sullivan for example, but now it appears that Blythe will start & Allen will be the back up so let's hope Blythe is able to improve being back at the position he plays bests.