As Rams progress through OTA’s, linebacker is of keen interest

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think it's that simple so it's nice you gave an alert.

Suh, Brockers and Donald will do great at stopping and help stopping the running game. The backups need to play well too. I just watched the Vikings game and the backup let up some big run plays. When Brockers went out against the Falcons the mauled the Rams D Line. It's not all on the Lbers.

As @bubbaramfan mentioned the LBers have to cover the RBs and TEs. That could be the most important job for them. They need to read the offense so they are ready for pass or run. I don't think Barron and Littleton are going to make plays on most run downs. It going to take everyone running to the ball carrier.

The Edge rushers are going to have to get pressure and contain the QBs as well as the run edge. Some could be underestimating the pressure the OLBers have to get. Rams can't rely on the big three for pressure by themselves.

You forget about the DB’s ? Barron was the leading tackler 2 years ago, & Littleton was The Rams rookie of year over Goff.

Ram65

Legend
You forget about the DB’s ? Barron was the leading tackler 2 years ago, & Littleton was The Rams rookie of year over Goff.

I don't think Barron and Littleton are going to make plays on most run downs. It going to take everyone running to the ball carrier.

Everyone includes the DBs. I should rephrase the statement before that. The two inside Lbers are suppose to make the most tackles in Wades defense or more than anyone else on the defense. I don't know the percentage breakdown of run stops they are suppose to make over all the others. Is it 40-50-60 percent? We will see how they do. Both have to be active against the the run and pass in the Wade defense. Here is last year's tackle numbers by player.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=2017&team=LA&seasonType=

Last edited:

dang

Legend
While I excited for the potential talent - I am a little concerned that our veteran experience for all 4 LB positions is limited to Mark Barron (6 yrs) and Ramik Wilson (4 yrs).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
While I excited for the potential talent - I am a little concerned that our veteran experience for all 4 LB positions is limited to Mark Barron (6 yrs) and Ramik Wilson (4 yrs).
Just how often did Wade use his base 34 defense last season where he lined up four LB'ers in the standard base?

Wade runs more snaps in the Nickel (4 down linemen- 2 ILB'ers & Five DB's) than his base with four LB'ers. Our DL cadre is solidly improved from last season with a front that could easily have all pro bowl players starting @ each post. The depth of the DL is as good as it comes. Wade is loaded with pass rushing DL'ers this season. Would I be out of line here to expect Wade to utilize more of his pass rushing talent from his defensive front this season?

This 2018 Rams secondary has two of last years pro bowl corners starting & the best Nickle-back in the NFL with an ex all pro corner waiting for some playtime. Our starting young safeties are excellent.. Our 5th & 6th CB's now were par-time starters last season. By far the best secondary in the NFL. I would expect to see 6 DB's (Dime) defense often thus making the use of only ONE LB'er who would be our most experienced LB Mark Barron. Why would any DC refrain from utilizing as much of his DB talent as possible by running Nickels & Dimes most of the time.

ILB-Barron- entering his 9th season having been a starter since he was a rookie.
ILB-Hager -entering his 4th season has 49 NFL gms under his belt.
ILB-Wilson- entering his 4th season with with 29 NFL gms under his belt 17 starts.
OLB-Longacre -entering his 4th season with 25 NFL gms under his belt.
ILB-Littleton- entering his 3rd season with 33 NFL gms under his belt
OLB-Ebukam- entering his 2nd season with 17 NFL gms under his belt
OLB-Price- entering his 2nd season after spending his season on the Practice Squad & main roster.
OLB- Sickels-entering his 2nd season, after spending his season on the Practice Squad.

Rams have 6 LB'ers with 245 NFL gms of experience.:) Wade uses only two inside LB'ers most of the time not four LB'ers. Notice that of the six experienced LB'ers the top four are Interior LB'ers? Wonder if that was by design;).

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just how often did Wade use his base 34 defense last season where he lined up four LB'ers in the standard base?

Wade runs more snaps in the Nickel (4 down linemen- 2 ILB'ers & Five DB's) than his base with four LB'ers. Our DL cadre is solidly improved from last season with a front that could easily have all pro bowl players starting @ each post. The depth of the DL is as good as it comes. Wade is loaded with pass rushing DL'ers this season. Would I be out of line here to expect Wade to utilize more of his pass rushing talent from his defensive front this season?

This 2018 Rams secondary has two of last years pro bowl corners starting & the best Nickle-back in the NFL with an ex all pro corner waiting for some playtime. Our starting young safeties are excellent.. Our 5th & 6th CB's now were par-time starters last season. By far the best secondary in the NFL. I would expect to see 6 DB's (Dime) defense often thus making the use of only ONE LB'er who would be our most experienced LB Mark Barron. Why would any DC refrain from utilizing as much of his DB talent as possible by running Nickels & Dimes most of the time.

ILB-Barron- entering his 9th season having been a starter since he was a rookie.
ILB-Wilson- entering his 4th season with with 29 NFL gms under his belt 17 starts.
OLB-Price- entering his 2nd season after spending his season on the Practice Squad & main roster.
OLB- Sickels-entering his 2nd season, after spending his season on the Practice Squad.

Rams have 6 LB'ers with 245 NFL gms of experience.:) Wade uses only two inside LB'ers most of the time not four LB'ers. Notice that of the six experienced LB'ers the top four are Interior LB'ers? Wonder if that was by design;).

Well, DAMN, Bonifay!

That there was one of the best posts that I’ve read in a year on ANY board.

Nothing to add except applause, man. You flat nailed it!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Exactly!! Sure, Wade will line up bigger bodies in some obvious running situations, but otherwise who knows what sets he might run. I'm waiting to see Sam Shields make his all pro presence known. He's been under the radar...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, Wade will either have improved his run D or he didn’t.

I’m betting that his ‘18 run D will be improved. Now, by how much, I’m not sure.

But it had better be improved significantly, otherwise it’s our only Achilles heel on that side of the ball. And therefore, what the opposing OC will feel forced to attack.

I’m betting on Wade here, but I’m keeping my damned fingers crossed. Lol.

Suh ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We keep hearing "How will opposing OC's game plan the Rams?" With a top 5 DL and secondary, they'll go after the LB's. Rams are going to see a lot of screens and dump off over the middle to TE"s, sending their X wr long to take away a db and keep S's from crowding the box. Rams are thin at vet experienced LB's.

Not really??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree Soul. Of course McSnead are always scouring the waiver wire to upgrade anywhere, I bet they sign at least one vet LB before the season starts.

Longacre has been around as well.
Samson was playing better than Barwin last season with out training camp, & now having another year experience .
Hager know the position a mlb .
The guy who is starting to show is Ejuan Price!

dang

Legend

Excellent add to the thread. I am very optimistic that Ebukam and Littleton will become key pieces on the LB corp to add to the starting experience of Barron & Wilson. I haven't seen anything that makes me think Hager/Longacre/Price/Sickels will become more than spot players. I will be pleasantly surprised if they do.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, DAMN, Bonifay!

That there was one of the best posts that I’ve read in a year on ANY board.

Nothing to add except applause, man. You flat nailed it!
The HELL you say! *flexes posting muscles

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Littleton is in his third year.
Hager is in his fourth year.
Ejuan Price is in the second year.
Garrett Sickels is in his second year.
Matt Longacre is in his fourth year.
Samson Ebukam is in his second year.

28 years of collective experience in our linebackers.

Ram65

Legend

I've been wonder how much Wade will go with four down lineman this year,

Last year he had Quinn as an outside LBer. He was a hand in the dirt DE in realty. How much did Quinn dictate the scheme? Barwin and Longacre were on the field together too. We will see. Got to go.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Everyone includes the DBs. I should rephrase the statement before that. The two inside Lbers are suppose to make the most tackles in Wades defense or more than anyone else on the defense. I don't know the percentage breakdown of run stops they are suppose to make over all the others. Is it 40-50-60 percent? We will see how they do. Both have to be active against the the run and pass in the Wade defense. Here is last year's tackle numbers by player.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=2017&team=LA&seasonType=

So what’s your real point ?? Barron was hurt most of the season and had 86 vs O’trees 95.

Samson was a rookie & had 31 to 34 tackles by Barwin.

John Johnson didn’t start until 4 games intonthe season & he and Samson missed a lot of training camp.

Quinn vs Longacre 32 to 21. Matt was hurt at the end of the season.

Littleton is the question mark, but he is going to be given the keys to The Rams defense. Wade & the coaching staff most trust him, they traded Ogletree.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like Hill , but looking at the stats ! Tru really made a lot of tackles. 65 for a CB is impressive.

Littleton only had 5 tackles less than the best defensive player in football.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...l-teams-top-young-player-must-improve#slide18

1 Problem Every NFL Team's Top Young Player Must Improve
JUSTIS MOSQUEDA

Los Angeles Rams: Samson Ebukam's Pass Rushing

4dbb57c46200f8b1bda44876307e86e2_crop_exact.jpg

Jae C. Hong/Associated Press

The Los Angeles Rams' top returning outside linebackers are Matt Longacre and Samson Ebukam, who both played 35.3 percent of the defensive snaps or fewer in 2017. Ebukam, who before last season was at Eastern Washington of the FCS, only has 351 NFL snaps under his belt.

The team did add Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Trevon Young in the fifth and sixth rounds of the draft, but history isn't kind to rookie pass-rushers picked outside of the top 150 selections.

Last year, Ebukam had just three tackles at or behind the line, good for a tie for 12th among Rams box defenders alone. For the number of snaps that Ebukam played last year, he should have had more production in opposing backfields. As he goes from a rotational player to a starter, that will need to change.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the new season & new weight ins @ OTA's our two projected starters have tacked on some LB's. Mark Barron is now listed @ 6-2/230 & Cory Littleton is 6-3/228. Both are still on the light side. Our three larger inside LB'ers are Ramik Wilson 6-2/238, Micah Kiser 6-2/244 & Bryce Hager 6-1/237 remains the same. Rookie Tegray Scales is 6-0/227.

On the outside there are some changes too. Young vets.... Ebukam has added 5 lbs 245lbs, Longacre added 10lbs is now back up to 265lbs. The biggest change in the recorded rookie weigh ins is with this 7th round draft selection Flex DE/OLB kid Justin Lawler who is now listed @ 6-4 265lbs. OLB Brian Womac has added 10lbs now @ 6-2/250. Been reading about the unexpected OTA outstanding performance of Lawler...I sure needed to hear some good news in this unit after the Morgan Fox loss.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With the new season & new weight ins @ OTA's our two projected starters have tacked on some LB's. Mark Barron is now listed @ 6-2/230 & Cory Littleton is 6-3/228. Both are still on the light side. Our three larger inside LB'ers are Ramik Wilson 6-2/238, Micah Kiser 6-2/244 & Bryce Hager 6-1/237 remains the same. Rookie Tegray Scales is 6-0/227.

On the outside there are some changes too. Young vets.... Ebukam has added 5 lbs 245lbs, Longacre added 10lbs is now back up to 265lbs. The biggest change in the recorded rookie weigh ins is with this 7th round draft selection Flex DE/OLB kid Justin Lawler who is now listed @ 6-4 265lbs. OLB Brian Womac has added 10lbs now @ 6-2/250. Been reading about the unexpected OTA outstanding performance of Lawler...I sure needed to hear some good news in this unit after the Morgan Fox loss.

I always question the height & size of players.
The Rams depth is interesting.. to see