As Rams progress through OTA’s, linebacker is of keen interest

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
gettyimages-898082094.jpg

After Cory Littleton flashed so much playmaking ability as a backup weakside linebacker last year, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and his staff worked overtime devising special packages just to get him more playing time. He opened OTA’s as the replacement to Alec Ogletree at middle linebacker. (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE | vbonsignore@scng.com | Daily News
PUBLISHED: May 29, 2018 at 9:06 pm | UPDATED: May 29, 2018 at 9:07 pm

he irony wasn’t lost on Cory Littleton who, upon returning from the stress-free offseason he carved out for himself focusing entirely on family and friends and as little as possible on football, reported to OTA’s a couple weeks ago to find a Rams linebacker room that looked decidedly different than the one that ended last season.

And almost immediately after, he was pulled aside by Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and told he’d be switching positions.

After Littleton flashed so much playmaking ability as a backup weakside linebacker last year, Phillips and his staff worked overtime devising special packages just to get him more playing time. The Rams want him on the field even more in 2018, and he opened OTA’s as the replacement to Alec Ogletree at middle linebacker.

The irony being, as Littleton explains, that linebacker spot just happens to be the quarterback of the defense. As in relaying the play call from the coaching staff to the rest of the defense and getting guys lined up correctly and communicating any last-second shifts or adjustments before the ball snaps.

Or, as he said more permanently: “I’m not the most vocal person.”

Ah-ha. Got it.

Well, looks like the Rams need to add one more box to their offseason to-do-list. Specifically at linebacker, where three new starters must be identified and groomed to replace Ogletree, Robert Quinn and Connor Barwin and all the production and reliability that walked out the door when the Rams opted to part ways with them.

To that list add developing a more willing and confident voice for the highly athletic Littleton, who can’t let his play do all the talking anymore. Replacing Ogletree means talking and playing now go hand in hand.

“Speak a little louder and hope they can hear me,” he said, laughing.

If it seems the Rams are walking blindly into all this, it’s one of those yes and no type of things. For all the buzz they created and improvements they made adding dynamic cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib and dominating defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh – moves that were universally praised – fitting them into the salary-cap puzzle meant shedding money at other positions.

And that meant creating a hole the size of the Pacific Ocean at linebacker after trading both Quinn and Ogletree and not bringing Barwin back. The plan right now is filling those spots via a group of young, largely unproven holdovers and low-cost free agents and rookie draft picks and free agents.

There is confidence in the Rams building they have the pieces on hand to make a smooth transition. But until that becomes fact rather than conviction, the question remains: will the new starters be able to replicate what Ogletree, Quinn and Barwin produced, let alone provide an improvement?

At the very least, the Rams must replace 161 tackles and 15-1/2 sacks.

Oh, and a new quarterback for their defense.

For a Rams team that seemingly has all other bases covered, linebacker is the great unknown. Which explains why the coaching staff is pushing that group as hard as possible during OTA’s.

The Rams need answers. Maybe not immediately, but soon. And they are trying to come up with them ASAP.

“We’ve put them in some tough situations with how we practice,” said Rams head coach Sean McVay. “It requires a lot of thinking on the move, some of the adjustments and things especially just based on what the offense is presenting. And I think they’ve handled it well. I think we’ll have a better feel toward the end of the offseason program going into training camp.

If the season started today – and thank goodness for the Rams it doesn’t – Littleton would probably start alongside Mark Barron at inside linebacker and second-year standout Samson Ebukam would get the nod at one outside linebacker spot opposite fifth-year veteran Matt Longacre.

For Ebukam, it’s indicative of the strong finish he had to a rookie season in which he recorded 20 tackles and two sacks while making two starts in place of Barwin.

“I look at it as an opportunity, because those guys had (the job last year). But now that they’re gone it’s an opportunity for me to step up and win that role,” he said.

And he isn’t shy about what he’ll bring.

“Relentless effort. Poise and composure. Strength and attitude and speed,” Ebukam said. “And the more I learn, the more confident I get. I feel like I can bring a lot.”

Littleton bogarted his way into the picture as a reserve and special teams standout last year while notching 31 tackles and one sack and blocking two punts.

“He’s a guy that’s got a lot of nuance to his game, but you see the athleticism and the instincts show up,” McVay said.

And now a clear path has opened to a starting job.

“It makes me feel good as a player that they really believe in me,” Littleton said. “So I’ve got to do I can to get better so I can prove it.”

But keep in mind it’s only May, which means there is plenty of time for inside linebackers Bryce Hager, Ramik Wilson, Micah Kiser and Tegray Scales and outside backers Trevon Young, Ejuan Price, Garrett Sickles, Brian Womac, Justin Lawler and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo – among others – to push their way into starting or prominent roles.

In fact, Wilson, a free agent signee who spent the last two seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs and Lawler, a seventh-round pick out of SMU, got the bulk of the time with the No. 1 defense Tuesday during the Rams Phase II OTA practice.

Wilson is playing in place of Barron, who is working individually off to the side at this point of OTA’s, and has caught the attention of the Rams coaching staff. In two years with the Chiefs, Wilson started 17 of 30 games and made 111 tackles.

“Ramik Wilson is a guy over the last week and a half, you felt him,” McVay said. “You can see he’s a guy that’s instinctual, a guy with a great feel with his run fits and responsibilities.”

Lawler has also been impressive working at OLB and defensive end in place of Longacre – coming off a back injury – and Aaron Donald, who is not participating in OTA’s while seeking a contract extension.

“He’s flashed some really good things,” McVay said. “He’s gotten some chances and made the most of those.”

He’ll get plenty of other chances between now and the regular season. A whole bunch of guys will. And with three spots up for grabs, the Rams will keep a keen eye on all of them.

But they need answers fast.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a good read and gives us the blueprint to this point at linebacker. Littleton is the guy right now and Barron still injured so Wilson currently getting reps. Barron & Littleton on the lighter side and Littleton really has never played inside so again this unit will be a work in progress.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams need young linebackers to step up this summer

By DAN GREENSPAN

https://pro32.ap.org/article/rams-need-young-linebackers-step-summer

The Los Angeles Rams loaded up on experience on the defensive line and in the secondary with a series of audacious offseason acquisitions through trades and free-agent signings.At linebacker, however, the Rams are trending in the opposite direction.

The youth movement becomes even more evident during offseason practices.

Third-year linebacker Cory Littleton is calling plays for the first time after moving inside. Second-year outside linebacker Samson Ebukam was paired with rookie defensive end Justin Lawler to form the main pass rush tandem during a team period Tuesday, with rookies Trevon Young, John Franklin-Myers and Brian Womac seeing significant action behind them.

It is a trade-off that seems to be working for head coach Sean McVay.

"We've really put them in some tough situations with how we've practiced, so it requires a lot of thinking on the move, some of the adjustments and things, especially just based on what the offense is presenting And I think they have handled it well, and I think we'll have a better feel towards the end of the offseason program and them going into training camp," McVay said.

The Rams traded inside linebacker Alec Ogletree and edge rusher Robert Quinn during the offseason, and outside linebacker Connor Barwin remains a free agent. Ogletree led the team in tackles last season, and Quinn and Barwin combined for 13.5 of the Rams' 48 sacks.

In the hopes of filling some of those gaps, the Rams used four of their 11 picks on linebackers to add depth inside and outside. Special teams contributors Littleton and Bryce Hager will take on larger roles in the middle, and players from McVay's first draft class in 2017 such as Ebukam and Ejuan Price are being asked to further ramp up their development in pressuring opposing quarterbacks.

That inexperience could be what limits the potential for a defense that added defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters, but Littleton expects the linebackers to respond to the challenge.

"We're all still developing, but by the time the season comes I feel we'll all be ready and we can all show that we have more to offer than people might think," said Littleton, who is getting the first chance to replace Ogletree in the middle.

Suh is emphasizing the little details to his youthful teammates, but understand that they take time to be refined."As a young guy, I remember you're like a chicken with your head cut off," Suh said. "Just try and take the basic things, and then elaborate on them each and every day."Fellow veteran lineman Michael Brockers is stressing relentless effort on every play. Suh puts a priority on communication.

For Littleton, the challenge to communicate is literal. He has never had to relay defensive signals before, and Littleton acknowledged that requirement of his new position is at odds with his reserved nature."I'm not the most vocal person, but I do my best," Littleton said. "Speak a little louder, hope everyone can hear me."

__

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is a good read and gives us the blueprint to this point at linebacker. Littleton is the guy right now and Barron still injured so Wilson currently getting reps. Barron & Littleton on the lighter side and Littleton really has never played inside so again this unit will be a work in progress.

Good Morning den, yes it does...I been waiting to get some information on these inside Lb'ers. Cory being advised that he was getting another position change by Wade is the big news! I had voiced my thoughts on Ramik Wilson being a ideal weak side interior LB'er & I see he is running with the first team in this position in place of Mark Barron. Seems they sure like what they see @ this early point from Ramik. So Ramik has filled the Cory Littleton position @ this time.

Bryce Hager who is entering his 4th season here for the Ram might not need any reps with calling the signals due to his experience at it for many years. Hager is very good at signal calling. This would seem to be Hager chance if ever he will get one @ starting position in the NFL. Hager will be a UFA next season when CL will only be a RFA. Lets hope that CL has worked on adding power & strength to his very thing 6-3 frame.

Post changes for CL is not new...Originally entered the Rams his rookie season as a Weak Side 43 OLB'er, then later flipped to the Strong Side. Last season he moved into a 34 weak side interior post & now entering his 3rd season he has been moved again.

SSILB
Littleton
Hager
Kiser

WSILB
Barron
Wilson
Scales

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Let alone calling the plays with headsets.My thoughts were it was Hager & Wilson playing mlb,but was wondering who was the QB of the defense at first call.
—Now that it is Corey Littleton he will be hard to beat out. This is a big deal.

Samson Ebukham could see was going to replace Connor Barwin at OLB.

Longacre is taking over for Quinn,but the depth is big!! From the one article it seemed The Rams might even have Aaron Donald playing OLB/DE from the right side.Basically lining up as a RDE.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good Morning den, yes it does...I been waiting to get some information on these inside Lb'ers. Cory being advised that he was getting another position change by Wade is the big news! I had voiced my thoughts on Ramik Wilson being a ideal weak side interior LB'er & I see he is running with the first team in this position in place of Mark Barron. Seems they sure like what they see @ this early point from Ramik. So Ramik has filled the Cory Littleton position @ this time.

Bryce Hager who is entering his 4th season here for the Ram might not need any reps with calling the signals due to his experience at it for many years. Hager is very good at signal calling. This would seem to be Hager chance if ever he will get one @ starting position in the NFL. Hager will be a UFA next season when CL will only be a RFA. Lets hope that CL has worked on adding power & strength to his very thing 6-3 frame.

Post changes for CL is not new...Originally entered the Rams his rookie season as a Weak Side 43 OLB'er, then later flipped to the Strong Side. Last season he moved into a 34 weak side interior post & now entering his 3rd season he has been moved again.

SSILB
Littleton
Hager
Kiser

WSILB
Barron
Wilson
Scales

Hager is a back up LB & special teams guy. I don’t see him having a chance to start. His skill set is already at a peak.There is not much upside to his game. Solid as he is.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The Rams have to replace;

161 Tackles (mostly made too far from the line of scrimmage)

15 1/2 Sacks (primarily caused by pressure applied by the defensive line)

It takes guts to replace those guys with unproven players but I feel pretty good about it.
I like the young active guys we have.

Ram65

Legend
Samson Ebukam was paired with rookie defensive end Justin Lawler to form the main pass rush tandem during a team period Tuesday, with rookies Trevon Young, John Franklin-Myers and Brian Womac seeing significant action behind them.

So we got info that JFM is getting reps at OLBer. That's good news with him going to be on the roster anyway.

Barron gets a lot of snaps when healthy. Wonder if Wilson subs for Littleton if he wins the starter spot opposite Barron. At least Wade is confident in Littleton. Got to see what happens with pads on.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have to replace;

161 Tackles (mostly made too far from the line of scrimmage)

15 1/2 Sacks (primarily caused by pressure applied by the defensive line)

It takes guts to replace those guys with unproven players but I feel pretty good about it.
I like the young active guys we have.
They don’t however need to replace all of that from the linebackers. Suh will increase production from the NT spot to help.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They don’t however need to replace all of that from the linebackers. Suh will increase production from the NT spot to help.
That's true even though I would place the majority of that issue on the LB'ers. This new & revised Rams DL sure looks like the best 34 DL in the NFL by a good bit.

1 tech Suh replacing the trio of Westbrooks/ Walker & Smart as the starter is the No #1 upgrade. Finding a good rotational 1 tech may not be as hard as I thought if last seasons starter @ NT returns to his best playing position @ 5 tech post as the main reserve to Brockers. Westbrooks replacing Fox is another positive here & would be the #2 upgrade. Westbrook is much better against the run than Fox or Smart. That element might give Wade the opportunity to move Brockers down @ times to spell Suh when needed.

3 tech Dom Easley replacing Tanzel Smart who was Aaron Donald's main reserve is the No# 3 upgrade. Once again giving Wade the opportunity to move AD anywhere he wants with little loss of performance @ the 3 tech post. The element of having AD lineup anywhere on that front DL Wade's main five are very good plus their versatile. Sure provides Wade & DL coach Johnson more time to fine several future 1 tech NT for next season from first yr DL'ers Bryant, Joseph & McKay.

So we got info that JFM is getting reps at OLBer. That's good news with him going to be on the roster anyway. Barron gets a lot of snaps when healthy. Wonder if Wilson subs for Littleton if he wins the starter spot opposite Barron. At least Wade is confident in Littleton. Got to see what happens with pads on.
I can see JFM getting some HD use @ the LDE post when Wade moves to four down linemen (which he does more than often).

I don't see Wilson as the main reserve behind whoever is the starting strong side interior LB'er.Cory sure has a good personality & speaks as if he is mature beyond his 24 yrs. Very easy too like! I can see why he is getting this opportunity.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's true even though I would place the majority of that issue on the LB'ers. This new & revised Rams DL sure looks like the best 34 DL in the NFL by a good bit.

1 tech Suh replacing the trio of Westbrooks/ Walker & Smart as the starter is the No #1 upgrade. Finding a good rotational 1 tech may not be as hard as I thought if last seasons starter @ NT returns to his best playing position @ 5 tech post as the main reserve to Brockers. Westbrooks replacing Fox is another positive here & would be the #2 upgrade. Westbrook is much better against the run than Fox or Smart. That element might give Wade the opportunity to move Brockers down @ times to spell Suh when needed.

3 tech Dom Easley replacing Tanzel Smart who was Aaron Donald's main reserve is the No# 3 upgrade. Once again giving Wade the opportunity to move AD anywhere he wants with little loss of performance @ the 3 tech post. The element of having AD lineup anywhere on that front DL Wade's main five are very good plus their versatile. Sure provides Wade & DL coach Johnson more time to fine several future 1 tech NT for next season from first yr DL'ers Bryant, Joseph & McKay.

I can see JFM getting some HD use @ the LDE post when Wade moves to four down linemen (which he does more than often).

I don't see Wilson as the main reserve behind whoever is the starting strong side interior LB'er.Cory sure has a good personality & speaks as if he is mature beyond his 24 yrs. Very easy too like! I can see why he is getting this opportunity.
Suh and more/better production from that spot should make it easier for those LB to produce as well.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Oversimplification alert !

To me, (in the run game which is my main concern here) regardless of who is playing, it's a numbers game.

The 3 defensive lineman tying up/disrupting the 5 offensive lineman.

It is still up to the 4 linebackers to prevent that running back from getting past that second level.
They need to seal the edge.
They need to clog up the middle.
They need to plug the hole.
They need to take on the TE or FB successfully.

We couldn't do that in the playoff game against Atlanta.

The linebackers are going to have to step up big-time and prove that they are more adept at it than the 3 players we let go.

That's a pretty big challenge and really the only mystery of this training camp.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

To me, (in the run game which is my main concern here) regardless of who is playing, it's a numbers game.

It is still up to the 4 linebackers to prevent that running back from getting past that second level.

The linebackers are going to have to step up big-time and prove that they are more adept at it than the 3 players we let go.

That's a pretty big challenge and really the only mystery of this training camp.

Well if Barron is healthy your looking at better production.
Robert Quinn did not make many tackles.
Samson will produce, as good if not better than Barwin. I really like his upside & he seems to get to the ball.Looking at the Wentz knee injury he was right there.
Ogletree has been one of the top tacklers on The Rams , & Littleton has that responsibility
to replace him.He does have a knack for getting turnovers.
—Kiser lead the NCAA in tackles all time(top 10) . There will be players that step up.!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, Wade will either have improved his run D or he didn’t.

I’m betting that his ‘18 run D will be improved. Now, by how much, I’m not sure.

But it had better be improved significantly, otherwise it’s our only Achilles heel on that side of the ball. And therefore, what the opposing OC will feel forced to attack.

I’m betting on Wade here, but I’m keeping my damned fingers crossed. Lol.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
We keep hearing "How will opposing OC's game plan the Rams?" With a top 5 DL and secondary, they'll go after the LB's. Rams are going to see a lot of screens and dump off over the middle to TE"s, sending their X wr long to take away a db and keep S's from crowding the box. Rams are thin at vet experienced LB's.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Something that gives me confidence in these linebackers is we have to remember that most were drafted specifically for a 3-4 defense.
Specific jobs on specific downs for specific players.

Add in some great coaches and good scouting overall on defense.
I have great confidence in the fact that they are monitoring other teams possible cuts and players that might be released due to their salaries.

T minus three months and confidence is high.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree Soul. Of course McSnead are always scouring the waiver wire to upgrade anywhere, I bet they sign at least one vet LB before the season starts.

Ram65

Legend

I don't think it's that simple so it's nice you gave an alert.

Suh, Brockers and Donald will do great at stopping and help stopping the running game. The backups need to play well too. I just watched the Vikings game and the backup let up some big run plays. When Brockers went out against the Falcons the mauled the Rams D Line. It's not all on the Lbers.

As @bubbaramfan mentioned the LBers have to cover the RBs and TEs. That could be the most important job for them. They need to read the offense so they are ready for pass or run. I don't think Barron and Littleton are going to make plays on most run downs. It going to take everyone running to the ball carrier.

The Edge rushers are going to have to get pressure and contain the QBs as well as the run edge. Some could be underestimating the pressure the OLBers have to get. Rams can't rely on the big three for pressure by themselves.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
On point 65. Most of Rams LB's are green and are bound to get schooled more than a few times.