Article on Rams Defense in the bowl game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How much do you expect the defense to improve in 2019?

Well, IMO, the Ram defense played very well in the playoffs and I expect that to carry over in 2019....At Nose Tackle, the combination of Greg Gaines & Sebastian Joseph-Day should be more stout against the run because those two players are prototypical nose tackles, whereas Suh IMO was more comfortable on the end.

I also expect ILB Micah Kiser to make a huge difference again the run, he's a thumper and it's his strength, so I can't see team having the ability to run up gut like they did last season with Gaines, Joseph-Day & Kiser waiting to thump their ass and the addition of Eric Weddle on the back end should help the team in that area as well., as to this point the defense does not concern me, it's the offense and the new personnel on the offensive line that has my attention.

Health always plays a factor, but the edge rushers also should be an asset with having Fowler for the who year and the addition of Clay Matthews along with a healthy Ogbonnia Okoronkwo so that position should be evolving as well. Again I expect the Rams to improve greatly on defense and it will be very obvious against the run IMHO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think if the Rams can improve that number to 5.0 yds per rush we could actually win the Super bowl rather than just get there this time.

Ram65

Legend
It's obvious the Rams wanted to improve the run defense. Rams went after NT Gaines by trading two other picks in the day three of the draft. The Rams got their run stuffer in the middle of the defensive line. S. Joseph-Day will be a year bigger and give Gaines some competition. When Suh decided he wanted to stop the run you could see the improvement the Rams made against the run. Having a run stuffer in Gaines NT will make a big difference with S J-D able to help keep him fresh. Rams won't lose anything with Weddle taking Joyner's spot at safety but, could gain a little there.

The Linebacker grew will get a boost from Mathews moving around. Fowler will be more active in year two of the system. Littleton will be all over the field again.The big question is how be how much better Kiser will make the Rams run defense? That was his specialty in college so he could be a boost on early downs with rookie safety Rapp coming in on Dime Defense. Rapp also was known for his tackling in space at Washington.. Kiser has to be able to cover or teams won't need to run. It seems that Kiser will be the key to how much improvement is gained. If Kiser can really step up the run defense and cover on early downs the defense will be greatly improve all over.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our weaknesses in that game...

1. Interior OL. Overhaul in-work.

2. Inexperienced QB. That is now under his belt and it won't be too big next time.

3. Run defense. Another offseason focus.

Rams know what they are doing. Oh and for all the flak Goff deservedly gets, he still almost threw the tying score but for a dropped pass. So again the young QB's best friend is really a great defense which we will hopefully have this season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams make it back to the Super Bowl this coming season (I think they have a good shot, but nothing's certain) that will mean they have diversified enough to avoid the mistakes and predictability that everybody in the league now knows. They've learned their weaknesses - at least many of them, and have taken steps to improve, as well as likely improvements in depth at many positions. Most importantly, McVay has learned the importance of avoiding tells - I suspect there was a bit of hubris there, but with everybody following the Rams closely now, he knows to vary things up, instead of using the same formations and groups on offense.