Article on Rams Defense in the bowl game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's too bad [she won't live] that arguably the 2nd greatest defensive performance in SB history was overshadowed by arguably the best defensive performance in SB history because it happened in the same game and no one remembers the loser.

The Rams D in that game, those moments will forever be lost....
tenor.gif

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Not sure what choo talkin bout Willis.

I was talking about how the Pats D had the read on the Rams O.

Right. I was merely pointing out that the article states the Rams D also had a read on the Pats O. Which was less relevant than I thought it was when I originally had the thought.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's too bad [she won't live] that arguably the 2nd greatest defensive performance in SB history was overshadowed by arguably the best defensive performance in SB history because it happened in the same game and no one remembers the loser.

The Rams D in that game, those moments will forever be lost....
tenor.gif

Rams gave up over 400 yards and over a hundred fifty on the ground I'm not sure what qualifies as the second best defensive performance in the Super Bowl.

It was a strong game for sure but that's as far as we can go

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Right. I was merely pointing out that the article states the Rams D also had a read on the Pats O.

But there is a big difference between having a read on one alignment from a 2 back set versus knowing what almost every play is going to be, a pass or a run.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
But there is a big difference between having a read on one alignment from a 2 back set versus knowing what almost every play is going to be, a pass or a run.
A broader, more obvious tell came from who the Patriots had at running back. When Sony Michel was in, it was often with the fullback Develin, and the likelihood of a run was very high. So, the Rams played their stouter base 4-3 defense. But if Burkhead or especially James White was in, the Patriots were likely to throw. So here the Rams played nickel, even if one of those back was in with the smashmouthing Develin. “That wasn’t something we’d done much all year,” McVay says.

They had a similar all the time tell for run or pass in addition to the specific tell for 2 back sets.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It was a strong game for sure but that's as far as we can go
Nah. The Patriots scored almost as many points per gm as we did during the season (Rams 2nd, Patriots 5th) and they had 3 to show for it thru 3 quarters. They got seriously D'd up too.

Its not about yards. Its about points. Its always been about points.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nah. The Patriots scored almost as many points per gm as we did during the season (Rams 2nd, Patriots 5th) and they had 3 to show for it thru 3 quarters. They got seriously D'd up too.

Its not about yards. Its about points. Its always been about points.

Yeah but the Rams D wasn't 2nd best in the SB that night. I think it's fair to count yards AND points. Garbage time points and yards happen I know I know. yadayadayada.

They were good, fantastic. But other teams have had better defensive performance in the SB.

SEA v. DEN
DEN v. CAR
BAL v. NYG

That's just to name a few that were better recently. Those 3 were dominant performances by defenses.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
What was it? I've heard nothing about that.
It was...
I...
I... I quoted..
Twice... The text. Right there in the OP. And the first time I quoted you. And this last time. Sony Michael meant run plays. White and/or Buckhead many passes.

Here:

A broader, more obvious tell came from who the Patriots had at running back. When Sony Michel was in, it was often with the fullback Develin, and the likelihood of a run was very high. So, the Rams played their stouter base 4-3 defense. But if Burkhead or especially James White was in, the Patriots were likely to throw. So here the Rams played nickel, even if one of those back was in with the smashmouthing Develin. “That wasn’t something we’d done much all year,” McVay says

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It was...
I...
I... I quoted..
Twice... The text. Right there in the OP. And the first time I quoted you. And this last time. Sony Michael meant run plays. White and/or Buckhead many passes.

Here:

A broader, more obvious tell came from who the Patriots had at running back. When Sony Michel was in, it was often with the fullback Develin, and the likelihood of a run was very high. So, the Rams played their stouter base 4-3 defense. But if Burkhead or especially James White was in, the Patriots were likely to throw. So here the Rams played nickel, even if one of those back was in with the smashmouthing Develin. “That wasn’t something we’d done much all year,” McVay says

That was when they were in a specific formation. 22 right?

Different from the Rams issue with giving away run or pass play all the time.

Apples to orangutans.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
That was when they were in a specific formation. 22 right?

Different from the Rams issue with giving away run or pass play all the time.

Apples to orangutans.
They contrasted the tell from the 22 with the "broader more obvious tell" based on personnel. If Sony Michael, probably run. More so if with Develin. If Butthead probably pass. If White, really probably pass. Even if one of them was back with Develin.

I read it as broader meaning across all formations. Maybe I'm wrong.

Edit: I read that section again. The 22 personnel were those 3 plays that they totally burned the Rams on at the end. The Rams had no tell for that at all. It's why they got killed with it. The article quotes Brokers as saying they ran 21 personnel, implying that was the common formation. 22 personnel was an exception.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah but the Rams D wasn't 2nd best in the SB that night. I think it's fair to count yards AND points. Garbage time points and yards happen I know I know. yadayadayada.

They were good, fantastic. But other teams have had better defensive performance in the SB.

SEA v. DEN
DEN v. CAR
BAL v. NYG

That's just to name a few that were better recently. Those 3 were dominant performances by defenses.
It's arguable, which is why i used those words in my OP. That wasn't the point of the post, but you know that.

Anyway, NE has never been D'd up like that in any of their Super Bowl appearance that i can recall. Shutting Brady and the Pats' offense down to a crawl is a more impressive feat than any of those other instances you mentioned.

We can debate it if you like, that's what you're here for am i right?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes. McVay needs to learn how to hang his future hall of fame QB out to dry in front of defensive ends, so years of his career are wasted. Certainly one of the main lessons to be learned from Martz.

And that is all you know about Martz's offense. All it was to you was seven step drops?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that is all you know about Martz's offense. All it was to you was seven step drops?

No. But for those who paid attention to him with the Rams and elsewhere the qb getting hit was a very frequent result.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We can debate it if you like, that's what you're here for am i right?

Your point about other SB's is valid and I agree. The Patriots had some big games in the SB's they have been to.

This year though they got held to 10 points in three different games and were stymied. I'm sure the Rams spent a lot of time watching that film.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It wasn't the deep drops for me, though sometimes he did over-use them.

It was the 4-5 wide sets with an empty backfield or sending Faulk right out on a route in a 4 wide set, leaving Warner unprotected. That's what I used to call the meat grinder. Now Warner and the WR's were good at still making a play but Warner took a lot of hard shots, many of which would be penalties today.

I've said this many times, I've never seen a QB hang in the pocket and take the hit in order to deliver the pass the way Warner did. He was fearless.

Rams defense gave up 5.1 yards per rush in 2018, a league worst. Gaines and Kiser will help solve the embarrassing weakness.

Rapp, Matthews and Weddle might help too.

Between Peters poor play and an atrocious rush defense, we were carried by the offense to the big dance.

How much do you expect the defense to improve in 2019?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
The biggest thing about Peters is we don't really know the severity of his calf injury last year. I think the Defense will make a leap forward this year.

nighttrain

Legend
With Gaines over the center, it should at least be 3rd and short on opponents 3rd play from scrimmage, instead of first and 1o
train