Around the League: State of the 2022 Detroit Lions - Will the team break through?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
They could easily have won at least 3 more games than they did. Why everyone puts the blame on losing on Goff is nonsense. Football is a team game. Look at how many times Goff got them the lead in the 4th quarter only to have an inept defense blow the win? The Lions should have ended with a 6-11 record.

I can see this team getting 7-9 wins this season. I'm not a big fan of Campbell but they definitely could have a worse HC. The Lions finished 5-11 and 3-12-1 the last two years with Stafford and he had better WRs than Goff. So blaming Goff is wrong. This year the Lions have a premier pass-rushing edge and Goff will have Jameson Williams as his #1 WR. Williams is very fast (4.2-4.3) and is 6'2". He dropped because he injured his ACL in January in the title game. But he should be fine by the end of September if not before. Williams is a legit deep threat so with St Brown and Hockenson underneath Goff will now have the layered receivers he thrives on.

When you look at Goff you can see his struggles in LA had more to do with scheme fit than talent. He's got a very good RB in Swift so the team Holmes is building looks like a good one. I think from 2024 on this team could be a playoff caliber roster. Goff is a good franchise QB, the Lions just need to build a team around him and I think Holmes is doing just that. IMO Goff is the #2 QB in that division, in spite of the media saying Cousins is #2. Cousins has had 4 winning seasons (only one with double-digit wins) in his 10 year career. Goff has had 4 winning seasons in 6 years. In the more conventionally structured offensive scheme, Goff's INTs percentage dropped from 2.3% to 1.6% despite playing behind a substandard OL. Only 8 INTs on 494 passing attempts completing 67.2% in Detroit compared to his 63.4% average in LA. That is the difference in scheme fit and why I know once he has the receivers he can eventually get them to the playoffs. Stafford got the Lions to the wildcard round 4 times in 10 years. With a team around him, I think Goff can improve on that.

If Goff gets the Lions 9 wins that will put to bed any doubts and Holmes can restructure his contract and clear cap space to make additional moves.

Tano

Legend
Detroit has a conundrum. Goff has played very well this year but is he a super bowl contending QB?

They can possibly do one of the following:

1) Pick a high QB with our top 5 pick (I am not sure there is anyone that looks like a top 5 pick other than Alabama's QB and I predict he is going to Houston. I am not that impressed with CJ Stroud being that much better than Goff.)

2) Trade down from their top 5 pick and take a flawed QB with a lot of potential and stick with Goff for this year and focus primarily on Defense with their other picks with one OL RB and WR also selected. Hopefully they get a number 1 for 2024 and 2025 with that trade down and get other good defensive and offensive players with those picks.

3) Select a top Defensive Player with their top 5 pick and again like item 2 focus on defensive players for the other picks while sticking with Goff.

4) Trade down and again like item 2 focus on defensive players for the other picks and stick with Goff for next year. Hopefully they get a number 1 for 2024 and 2025 with that trade down and trade up for the best QB in the 2024 draft.

5) Pick a high QB and trade Goff for a second and third.

Any other scenarios that could be done?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Detroit has a conundrum. Goff has played very well this year but is he a super bowl contending QB?

1) Pick a high QB with our top 5 pick (I am not sure there is anyone that looks like a top 5 pick other than Alabama's QB and I predict he is going to Houston. I am not that impressed with CJ Stroud being that much better than Goff.)

2) Trade down from their top 5 pick and take a flawed QB with a lot of potential and stick with Goff for this year and focus primarily on Defense with their other picks with one OL RB and WR also selected. Hopefully they get a number 1 for 2024 and 2025 with that trade down and get other good defensive and offensive players with those picks.

3) Select a top Defensive Player with their top 5 pick and again like item 2 focus on defensive players for the other picks while sticking with Goff.

4) Trade down and again like item 2 focus on defensive players for the other picks and stick with Goff for next year. Hopefully they get a number 1 for 2024 and 2025 with that trade down and trade up for the best QB in the 2024 draft.

They could package some picks to move up from the Rams pick for Bryce Young.

It would be hard for Houston to pass on 2 first rounders in 2023, plus the Lions 2024 first rounder. That's a pretty sweet offer, considering one of those first rounders is likely top 5, or top 10 for sure. They wouldn't be moving down much.

They have Goff and multiple second rounders as bait too.

It will be VERY interesting to see how the Lions play things.

If they stick with Goff, they have 4 picks in the top 60 and can load up around him.

Lions 2023 NFL Draft picks:
First round: Lions own pick
First round: Rams pick
Second round: Lions own pick
Second round: Vikings pick
Third round: Lions own pick
Fifth round: Lions own pick
Sixth round: Lions own pick
Sixth round: Broncos pick

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If there isn't a sure fire pick at QB I'd just keep Goff and continue building around him. Maybe he's not a superbowl caliber quarterback but he's good enough to win with. We've seen that. Winning seasons and playoff appearances are far better than what Detroit has seen most years.

Tano

Legend
They could package some picks to move up from the Rams pick for Bryce Young.

It would be hard for Houston to pass on 2 first rounders in 2023, plus the Lions 2024 first rounder. That's a pretty sweet offer, considering one of those first rounders is likely top 5, or top 10 for sure. They wouldn't be moving down much.

They have Goff and multiple second rounders as bait too.

It will be VERY interesting to see how the Lions play things.

If they stick with Goff, they have 4 picks in the top 60 and can load up around him.

Lions 2023 NFL Draft picks:
First round: Lions own pick
First round: Rams pick
Second round: Lions own pick
Second round: Vikings pick
Third round: Lions own pick
Fifth round: Lions own pick
Sixth round: Lions own pick
Sixth round: Broncos pick
It's possible but if Houston likes Young as much as the Lions would in that scenario, I highly doubt Houston trades down knowing they need a QB.

dang

Legend

Do they really need to replace a top 15 QB? IMO no. Keep Goff and beef up the Defense.

Tano

Legend
Do they really need to replace a top 15 QB? IMO no. Keep Goff and beef up the Defense.
Oh I agree - I would go with options 2 3 or 4.

Number 2 is good just to have a decent back-up at the worst case scenario and trade him after 4 years if Goff still does well

We have seen first hand what having crappy back-ups can do to a team