Arm chair GM 1st Rd Mock Draft-Pick #13 St Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

St Louis Rams pick #13

• Total voters

Alan

Legend
Dagone wondering why the love:
Why the hell is Dix getting so many votes???
Because while we agree that getting a CB is a very high priority, we also think that Ha-Ha is the best FS in the draft and FS is an even bigger need. What did Williams just talk about when he was discussing the cushion we gave last year. Something about how you've never seen safeties playing so deep as you're about to. Add to that his mania for all out blitz's just begs for high quality centerfielders. I'm taking a CB next. There will still be good ones. I only like Pryor and Ha-Ha at FS. Plus I think Pryor is more of a SS.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I get the feeling this staff likes our DBs and Safeties more than we give credit. I'm guessing that if Donald is there at #13, he'll be our pick.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Because while we agree that getting a CB is a very high priority, we also think that Ha-Ha is the best FS in the draft and FS is an even bigger need. What did Williams just talk about when he was discussing the cushion we gave last year. Something about how you've never seen safeties playing so deep as you're about to. Add to that his mania for all out blitz's just begs for high quality centerfielders. I'm taking a CB next. There will still be good ones. I only like Pryor and Ha-Ha at FS. Plus I think Pryor is more of a SS.

You forgot the "t" brother.. lol But that said, I agree with memphis here. Dix highly overrated for this pick especially. My opinion and I could be wrong. Time will tell. :cool:

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 with this:
I get the feeling this staff likes our DBs and Safeties more than we give credit. I'm guessing that if Donald is there at #13, he'll be our pick.
I wouldn't be surprised if you're correct about our Ss but I doubt they think that about our CBs.

scifiman

It was a tough choice and would be happy with any of them really. But I had to go with CB Dennard. We really do need a quality corner as well as a FS. I just thought Dennard BPA for our needs. Dix and Pryor good too but Dennard BPA over them. I would also not mind Donald but at 13 may be a bit high drafting him.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
We need a true free safety in the worst way. Especially now that Greg Williams is the DC and he'll be throwing everything at the offense, we have to have someone back there that can stop a pass. So for me, it's Ha Ha Dix

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Fair enough.. I also said in chat I am leery of our past CB heatlh issues. Seems we always have one go down. I also agree on the slot. I agree we need depth at CB and in the secondary as a whole. The question is what rounds do we get it in? We also need to add some OL depth in the later rounds if possible. I also believe the game is won in the trenches (Donald).

But all said.. TJ Mac is a FS and so is Pryor. Can one of them change positions? Idk.. We have a pretty good DL as it stands, but could use that extra rush on passing downs which Donald would bring. Dennard did play in the Big 10, hence lesser competition..

I would go Donald, but one thing you said above.. I'm also too damn old to go thru those 2 CB's again.. lol

I'm thinking long term. JJ and Tru have 2 years left on contracts. Same year FA as Bradford, Quinn and a few others. You saw what CB's are getting. So if JJ and Tru really come on and I don't care what Demoff says we can't sign them all. This move would give the team leverage.
I like Pryor. and he others. But grading them against last two years of 1st rd safeties at best they are late first or early 2nd rounders in a good year for safeties. None of them are close to being a Earl Thomas. There are more talented players on the board at 13. They are a reach. We would be leaving talent on the board for a need.
On the other hand Dennard grades out higher and is about right for a 13th pick. He has more upside and the first time he steps on the field he's the Rams top corner. But we could draft a safety in the 3rd and he would be a upgrade.

The Rams didn't address the DB's realistically in FA so it seems they will have to use the top of the draft to improve the unit.

Alan

Legend
Dagonet failing me in spelling:
You forgot the "t" brother.. lol
I just figured out what that meant. :ROFLMAO:
upload_2014-3-28_22-23-3.jpeg
142f1b8.jpg

Sorry about that bro!

fearsomefour

Legend
Either Donald or Dennard to me.
Dennard is more of a need but Donald could be a unique talent and really solidify our passrush as a game dominating force.

Donald it is.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
So it looks like we are taking a tackle who cant pass block and a 3rd down DT to add to out best area of the team. One is a non bpa, the other is.

At least we now have a nice lg who can open up running lanes and a 3rd down DT.

If J. Long goes down we are screwed.

Yes i know i am over reacting, dont need to tell me.

No to the Rams for using the #13 overall selection on yet another overrated Alabama defensive back.

3 Alabama DBs have been drafted in the 1st round since Nick Saban became head coach, one of them has started at least 13 games in each of his 4 years in the league, maybe not an All Pro but far from a bust. One of them is a bust. And the third was named AFC defensive rookie of the month for the final month of 2013.

I'm not sure if 3 is a large enough sample size for me to not look at the player and just look at the school, especially when only 1 of those players was a bust.

Memphis Ram

Legend
3 Alabama DBs have been drafted in the 1st round since Nick Saban became head coach, one of them has started at least 13 games in each of his 4 years in the league, maybe not an All Pro but far from a bust. One of them is a bust. And the third was named AFC defensive rookie of the month for the final month of 2013.

I'm not sure if 3 is a large enough sample size for me to not look at the player and just look at the school, especially when only 1 of those players was a bust.

Might be mistaken, but I thought there were 4 (Jackson, Barron, Milliner, & Kirkpatrick). Milliner just got started, but so far the others haven't come close to the hype they got coming out of college, IMO. Starts are nice, but even Archuleta started as many games coming out. Thus far, there hasn't been a legit impact player/difference maker in the bunch. Starting vs. impact/difference maker. Two different things altogether.

BTW, I looked at the player before I even considered looking at the school. And Dix isn't even an impact player at Alabama. Not as far as I could tell anyway.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
And Dix isn't even an impact player at Alabama. Not as far as I could tell anyway.
Good.

I don't want impact players or guys whose big hits make the highlight reel. I just want players who can read the game, wrap up their tackles and make a few interceptions from time to time.

Give me the solid player over the overhyped prospect any day of the week.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Good.

I don't want impact players or guys whose big hits make the highlight reel. I just want players who can read the game, wrap up their tackles and make a few interceptions from time to time.

Give me the solid player over the overhyped prospect any day of the week.

I'd take a solid player over a overhyped prospect any day of the week, too.
But, I expect more than solid at the #13 overall selection in a deep draft class.

While in different draft classes, I want someone in the class of Earl Thomas (#14 overall), Jarius Byrd (#42 overall), Troy Polamalu (#16 overall), Ed Reed (#24 overall), etc.. that high in the draft. Not someone merely solid at his position.

Attempting to fill needs at the expense of the selection better football players can cripple a franchise.