Arm chair GM 1st Rd Mock Draft-Pick #13 St Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

St Louis Rams pick #13

• Total voters

iced

Oh the fun we could have with Haha's name... "Guess he got hit by D"

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Going Aaron Donald. Need that disruptive interior pass rusher play maker to compliment our guys, and Carrington is only on a 1 year deal.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Tough choice here. I am thinking.. :cool:

Alan

Legend
Uh-oh!
upload_2014-3-28_18-56-38.jpeg

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Run to the podium with Dennards card. Rams need a safety. But they need a CB more. He's just a better player than any safety. It's a bigger drop to a 2nd rd CB than it is to a 2nd rd safety in talent. More talent = more wins.

Alan

Legend
Yamahopper with this:
It's a bigger drop to a 2nd rd CB than it is to a 2nd rd safety in talent. More talent = more wins.
That runs completely counter to what I've read although I didn't do much research myself. Everything I've read contends that the CB crop is deep and the S (especially FS) crop is very thin. Can you remember where you read that or is it from your own research?

For example:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...class-is-so-deep-that-browns-might-draft-two/
Mike Pettine: QB class is so deep that Browns might draft two
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 26, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
pettinehaselm.jpg
AP
Will the Browns draft a quarterback with the fourth overall pick in this year’s NFL draft? Or will they pick a quarterback later in the draft?

According to Browns coach Mike Pettine, the answer to both of those questions could be, “Yes.”

Pettine said at the league meeting that it’s possible the Browns will draft two quarterbacks.

“This is a deep quarterback class, and that is why. It’s deep and it’s varied,” Pettine said.

If the Browns take a quarterback at No. 4, it would be Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater, Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel or Central Florida’s Blake Bortles. The Browns also own the Colts’ first-round pick, No. 26 overall, which could be used to take a quarterback like Fresno State’s Derek Carr or Eastern Illinois’s Jimmy Garoppolo. In later rounds they could go after Alabama’s AJ McCarron, LSU’sZach Mettenberger, Virginia Tech’s Logan Thomas or Pittsburgh’s Tom Savage.

It’s not that unusual for teams to take two quarterbacks in one draft. Indianapolis and Washington both drafted two quarterbacks in 2012: Indianapolis madeAndrew Luck the first overall pick and Chandler Harnish Mr. Irrelevant, while Washington made Robert Griffin III the second overall pick and took Kirk Cousins in the fourth round.

Of course, sometimes drafting two quarterbacks just serves to give you two bad quarterbacks on your roster. In 2010, the Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen in the second round and Tony Pike in the sixth round. Less important than how many quarterbacks the Browns draft is whether one of them is good enough to be their starter of the future.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Alan

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ch-position-will-be-deepest-in-2014-nfl-draft
Ask 5: Which position will be deepest in 2014 NFL Draft?
  • 2012_Jeremiah-65x90.jpg
  • By Daniel Jeremiah
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: Oct. 30, 2013 at 02:50 p.m.
  • Updated: Nov. 1, 2013 at 03:41 p.m.
  • 377 Likes | 211 Comments

Now that we are past the halfway mark of the college football season, most NFL personnel executives have had a chance to see the top prospects for the 2014 NFL Draft. We've been hearing for the past few weeks about the potential depth of the upcoming quarterback class. Will that be the deepest position in the draft? I reached out to five executives and asked them the following question: From what you've seen so far this season, which position will be the deepest in the upcoming NFL draft? Here are their answers:

In a weekly series, draft analyst Daniel Jeremiahpolls five NFL personnel executives about college football's top prospects.

» What prospect has most to prove before draft?
» What NFL player does Mosley remind you of?
» Clowney's decline minor or major issue?
» Which position will be deepest in 2014 draft?
» Who is most improved player this season?
» Who is best prospect from non-BCS school?
» Which NFL assistant could be best college coach?
» Who's better: Murray or Mettenberger?
» Who are most surprising NFL rookies?
» Who's better, Luke Joeckel or Jake Matthews?
» Which college coach is best fit for NFL?
» Is zone-read offense here to stay in the NFL?
» More valuable: Dominant corner or safety?
» Is Clowney top defensive prospect in last decade?
» Better player, Dion Jordan or Anthony Barr?
» Does Johnny Manziel's game translate to NFL?
Executive No. 1: Cornerback
"I've seen a lot of good cornerbacks this fall. Guys like (Aaron) Colvin (Oklahoma), (Lamarcus) Joyner (Florida State), (Justin) Gilbert (Oklahoma State) and (Jason) Verrett (TCU) are all really good players. There's also a bunch of talented underclassmen that could come out early."

Executive No. 2: Cornerback
"Linebacker is pretty deep but the cornerback depth is the best I've seen in a while."

Executive No. 3: Offensive line
"This is going to be another great year for offensive tackles. Jake Matthews (Texas A&M) and Taylor Lewan (Michigan) are both top-10 guys and there several other potential first-round guys. I've also seen some quality interior linemen."

Executive No. 4: Offensive line
"The quarterback position could be really deep if all of these underclassmen come out. Right now, offensive line is the deepest position for the senior class."

Executive No. 5: Wide receiver
"That's a tough one. I would probably go with the wide receiver position. I've also seen a lot of athletic tight ends. The worst position is an easy answer. The running back depth is very thin."

Verdict: Two votes for cornerback, two votes for offensive line and one vote for wide receiver.

Conclusion: There wasn't a consensus among these executives and I was a bit surprised that quarterback didn't receive any votes. I think they will be hesitant to go with that position until they find out which underclassmen actually declare for the draft. It is shaping up to be a great draft for teams in need of offensive linemen and cornerbacks. Also, there figures to be plenty of wide receiver depth, as well. Last year's class lacked star power, but there was a very deep pool of NFL starter-caliber players. This year's class should match that depth while also providing some big-name talents at the top of the first round.

Last edited:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Run to the podium with Dennards card. Rams need a safety. But they need a CB more. He's just a better player than any safety. It's a bigger drop to a 2nd rd CB than it is to a 2nd rd safety in talent. More talent = more wins.

I like Dennard.. I like Donald and Pryor too.. This is actually a nice problem to have if this turns out real for us. :cool:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Gotta ask here Hopper.. You're not totally sold on JJ or TJ at CB? Apparently you're not, but just asking why you're not sold on our 2 starters?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Donald, but picked Dennard.

We are scary thin at CB, and it feels like a better value high in the draft.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I like Donald, but picked Dennard.

We are scary thin at CB, and it feels like a better value high in the draft.

We have 2 starters in JJ and TJ correct? if CB is so deep in this draft, could we not pick up depth in later rounds? I also feel the need for OL there too (in later rounds). Just asking your opinion my friend.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Gotta ask here Hopper.. You're not totally sold on JJ or TJ at CB? Apparently you're not, but just asking why you're not sold on our 2 starters?
It's not about being sold at all. It's about the need for 4 starting CB's on the roster and having 3 on the field 65% of the time. A bad CB is like a scab, the other team is going to pick at it all day. The 4th CB is about someone is going to get hurt. It happens. If the 4th is waiver wire bum then that could keep you out of the playoffs.

You might think I'm nuts but If Finnigan had stayed healthy and the Rams keep putting him out there I don't think the Rams would have won 4 games. It's hard to hide a CB without totally screwing rest of the defense. While I'm ranting, many fans discount the slot CB. That's really unfair. Think about it. Who moves the chains on the offense ? the Slot wr. Those 3rd down 5-7 yard check downs keep drives going. You have a CB that can stop that and you win lots more games.

As I said in original post. Dennard is the better, more talented player than any safety at that pick. Ove rhis contract he will help the Rams win more games with that talent. Also I think the drop off in CB's is greater than it is in safeties in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We can a FS to play center field better than McLeod in the 3rd, maybe 4th. That is my thinking. It's not that I dislike our CB's now, I just want to give them help.

I'm to old to watch the Ron Hood and Justin King show again.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
It's not about being sold at all. It's about the need for 4 starting CB's on the roster and having 3 on the field 65% of the time. A bad CB is like a scab, the other team is going to pick at it all day. The 4th CB is about someone is going to get hurt. It happens. If the 4th is waiver wire bum then that could keep you out of the playoffs.

You might think I'm nuts but If Finnigan had stayed healthy and the Rams keep putting him out there I don't think the Rams would have won 4 games. It's hard to hide a CB without totally screwing rest of the defense. While I'm ranting, many fans discount the slot CB. That's really unfair. Think about it. Who moves the chains on the offense ? the Slot wr. Those 3rd down 5-7 yard check downs keep drives going. You have a CB that can stop that and you win lots more games.

As I said in original post. Dennard is the better, more talented player than any safety at that pick. Ove rhis contract he will help the Rams win more games with that talent. Also I think the drop off in CB's is greater than it is in safeties in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We can a FS to play center field better than McLeod in the 3rd, maybe 4th. That is my thinking. It's not that I dislike our CB's now, I just want to give them help.

I'm to old to watch the Ron Hood and Justin King show again.

Fair enough.. I also said in chat I am leery of our past CB heatlh issues. Seems we always have one go down. I also agree on the slot. I agree we need depth at CB and in the secondary as a whole. The question is what rounds do we get it in? We also need to add some OL depth in the later rounds if possible. I also believe the game is won in the trenches (Donald).

But all said.. TJ Mac is a FS and so is Pryor. Can one of them change positions? Idk.. We have a pretty good DL as it stands, but could use that extra rush on passing downs which Donald would bring. Dennard did play in the Big 10, hence lesser competition..

I would go Donald, but one thing you said above.. I'm also too damn old to go thru those 2 CB's again.. lol

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Why the hell is Dix getting so many votes???

SierraRam

Recreational User
Best player on the board: Donald by a landslide. Take safety J. Ward in the 2nd ...