Are the Rams Contenders Again?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Everybody is a contender in June!!! But the Rams will be in September or whenever the season starts. They've reloaded their defense and offense and drafted guys who can make immediate impacts on both sides of the ball. And as long as they have McVay designing plays, Goff under center and the best football player on the planet on the DL, they are contenders.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
If they are able to stay healthy they are in! The NFL is very competitive and it usually boils down to which teams avoid the injury bug.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I thought the assessment was fair and overall hopefully the Rams find some pass rushers. Moving forward the Offensive Line is always going to be in question until it's not and if Goff can eliminate some of the mistakes and McVay continues to have him move in the pocket with roll outs, things could improve week over week.

My concern I don't love the schedule with Dallas at home first as the Cowboys will be one of the better teams in the NFC, then onto Philadelphia & Buffalo always extremely tough venues.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Define contender.

If it means will they make they playoffs? No.

Will they challenge for the division? Yes

Well that's why they play the games. There are some seasons when an 8-8 record gets you into the tourney. There are others when 10-6 finds you the odd team out. One thing I know to be 100% true after watching NFL football for more than 5 decades........it's unpredictable. The Rams offense only needs the OL to improve and they're back putting up 27 - 30 point per game. Hell last year with all the injury trouble on the OL, they put up 27 points or more nine times (and lost two of those games!). The defense needs to be consistent and adapt better than last year. Put those two together and I like our chances against anybody. But of course we'll have to see how things turn out.

dang

Legend
It looks like the days of fill in vets (e.g. Weddle, Matthews, even WadePhillips) are coming to an end. Youth, versatility and competition are taking its place. It may take another year or 2 to hit peak performance but it’s an exciting proposition.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, I’m very bullish on this ‘20 Rams team. I just am.

I like the 3 coordinator hires McVay made and feel that they will pay dividends this season. The positive impact of these 3 can‘t be overstated.

Goff should benefit from being allowed more time by a gelling and emerging OL.

RB room is now better than last years hobbled Gurley and injured Hendy version.

WR is actually net better this year vs the injured and tentative Cooks post concussion version, IMO.

Our TE room looks like an ascending one to me. Dramatically so.

Our DL is looking very studly to me after the ARob addition. Running against these guys will not be easy, IMO.

I like Floyd on one edge and feel that a good complement will emerge on the other side. Lewis might be the steal of this draft, for example.

ILB is still unproven, but I do like Kiser on first 2 downs and I feel that Staley likes his other options just fine. Rams are gonna be in nickel and dime a ton, anyway.

Our secondary is very, very good and possibly could be considered elite by game 4 or so.

My final thoughts? Ram O will return to averaging 30 ppg. Staley will revitalize our D with new philosophy and schemes. There is some serious talent on this D and if Staley is even half as creative as they say he is then look out! Bonamego won’t have to do much to improve upon Fassel’s ‘19 ST results.

All that leads me to believe an 11-5 or better record is doable, even in this challenging NFC West division.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We all lived through 1999 so we know anything can happen. I don't think it's likely but there's no way as a fan I'd rule it out.

And as long as we have McVay we'll be in the mix through the regular season IMO. That dude is special it's just gonna come down to whether Snead did his job in getting him what he needs.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
The NFC is close. Contender means you're in the top three of your conference. I'm not ready to say that about the Rams. But they're in the thick of things.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Well, I’m very bullish on this ‘20 Rams team. I just am.

I like the 3 coordinator hires McVay made and feel that they will pay dividends this season. The positive impact of these 3 can‘t be overstated.

Goff should benefit from being allowed more time by a gelling and emerging OL.

RB room is now better than last years hobbled Gurley and injured Hendy version.

WR is actually net better this year vs the injured and tentative Cooks post concussion version, IMO.

Our TE room looks like an ascending one to me. Dramatically so.

Our DL is looking very studly to me after the ARob addition. Running against these guys will not be easy, IMO.

I like Floyd on one edge and feel that a good complement will emerge on the other side. Lewis might be the steal of this draft, for example.

ILB is still unproven, but I do like Kiser on first 2 downs and I feel that Staley likes his other options just fine. Rams are gonna be in nickel and dime a ton, anyway.

Our secondary is very, very good and possibly could be considered elite by game 4 or so.

My final thoughts? Ram O will return to averaging 30 ppg. Staley will revitalize our D with new philosophy and schemes. There is some serious talent on this D and if Staley is even half as creative as they say he is then look out! Bonamego won’t have to do much to improve upon Fassel’s ‘19 ST results.

All that leads me to believe an 11-5 or better record is doable, even in this challenging NFC West division.

11-5 Sounds Good/About Right to me!!!

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Define contender.

If it means will they make they playoffs? No.

Will they challenge for the division? Yes

Sadly at this moment, I have them 3rd. Things can happen, we'll see. But for now I just hope they can stay out of 4th. The whole seasons going to be weird (wait until they get a load of virtual blocking and tackling), so anything's possible I suppose.

oldnotdead

Legend
Absolutely they are contenders. Better defense, improved offense with Akers and Jefferson and Hopkins (over Mundt), and a schedule reminiscent of 2018, probably a bit softer actually.

IMO the biggest improvement offensively will be a better run offense scheme and improved depth at RB. In the WR's I think they have an upgrade overall in Jefferson over oft-injured Cooks. Jefferson runs outstanding routes, is taller, with enough speed to threaten deep. He's a better fit to run all WR routes from all 3 WR positions. Hopkins is a huge upgrade over Mundt. People say Hopkins can't block, but that's what they said about Everett too. As Everett has shown blocking is something that can be coached. It's not like Hopkins hasn't blocked which he has. He was used as a wham blocker in college and that very well could be his role this year.

Defensively, the acquisition of Robinson can't be overstated. He will bring another Suh like presence in the middle of the d-line. Like Suh he's a 3 down player. I think with Floyd they have as good of an edge rusher as Fowler with more versatility on how Staley can use him. In Lewis I think they got a real steal. He's got 1st round level talent and in 2 years when he's a full-time starter opposite Floyd, the Rams will finally have two top edge rushers. They still have Ebukam at SAM and with the emergence of Williams and the drafting of Burgess they have 4 CBs. They have depth behind Rapp with Fuller and depth behind Johnson with Burgess who IMO will replace Johnson at FS next year. With Long and Ramsey as their boundary CBs they are set to play press-man coverage across the board in the secondary. This will give the d-line that extra second to bring the pressure. Kiser is an upgrade to Littleton as he has the speed to be played in ways Littleton couldn't. That really leaves the competition at LB to be at the second ILB position. This defense is faster and deeper than I can remember across the board. I really feel that this unit can be a top 5 defense.

I think only injuries and their own mistakes can derail the Rams this season. They will have a few tough games on their schedule but no one they can't beat if they play their A game. I've said this before, I think they have the potential to go undefeated in the regular season and realistically shouldn't finish any worse than 13-3.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When did we ever stop being contenders? Same record as last year, and the Rams are a playoff team with the expanded playoff format.

Since we're going 11-5, the question is whether the Super Bowl hangover will let the Niners win more than 8 games this year?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay and his Dad hugging before the Dallas Playoff win. I took the photo. I will be taking another one again later this year. Rams are going to make the payoffs!
20190112_162511.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sadly at this moment, I have them 3rd. Things can happen, we'll see. But for now I just hope they can stay out of 4th. The whole seasons going to be weird (wait until they get a load of virtual blocking and tackling), so anything's possible I suppose.

I had them only getting six wins when the schedule came out.....maybe 8

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well that's why they play the games. There are some seasons when an 8-8 record gets you into the tourney. There are others when 10-6 finds you the odd team out. One thing I know to be 100% true after watching NFL football for more than 5 decades........it's unpredictable. The Rams offense only needs the OL to improve and they're back putting up 27 - 30 point per game. Hell last year with all the injury trouble on the OL, they put up 27 points or more nine times (and lost two of those games!). The defense needs to be consistent and adapt better than last year. Put those two together and I like our chances against anybody. But of course we'll have to see how things turn out.

The Oline is a deciding factor. I also wonder how well players adjust to Staley’s defense.

Maybe they will surprise me