Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
And my point all along is that the response should not end up causing more damage than the disease itself, and that the response should be proportional, targeted to the most vulnerable while not creating a whole host of problems for those that are not vulnerable, thereby making this a much bigger tragedy. And in making that larger point, I also made the point that we have to consider not only the spread of the disease on one side, but the economic and human toll of blanket, mass shutdowns of the economy on the other side, since that's the solution we have been taking.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but man, does it appear that you objected, and strenuously so, to those points.

In this thread here, you have used very little data in your responses to me, but lots of emotion, mostly underlying fear. I've tried to get you to address some of the various data I have linked to, and you haven't.

- You haven't specifically addressed the 3.3 million new unemployment claims
- you haven't specifically addressed the additional suicides that result from unemployment, outlined in one of the articles I linked to
- you haven't addressed anything about the case of the Diamond princess, which involves an environment which is ideal for the virus to spread, with a statistically significant sample size, albeit one with a selection bias that skews toward the most vulnerable demographic by age, and, which despite all that, found only a 17% infection rate, with most of those asymptomatic and a majority of those with symptoms having light symptoms.

What science did you base your proposed response on? Let's review some of the events we've seen in the past couple of month.

- Sometime around the 3rd week of January, the Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO) flatly stated that COVD-19 was not transmissible from human to human. Oops.

- Not long after that (and apparently ignoring the WHO), the administration here formed the first task force to respond to the new virus.

- On January 31st, the administration cut off all travel from the then-epicenter of the disease, China. That reduced from about 10,000 incoming per day (with overwhelming odds that some of them were carriers of the virus) to zero. Critics of the move said it was an overreaction, while hurling the usual epithets (racist, xenophobe, blah blah blah).

- In early March, after previously stating that COVD-19 couldn't be transmitted from human to human, the Director General of the WHO radically reversed course, stating that this disease had a mortality rate many times higher than the average seasonal flu, and predicted a Spanish-flu like scenario. That's a pretty big shift don't you think? From one extreme to the other. And yet from the data we know, he was wrong - wildly wrong - in both cases.

- Meanwhile, in Britain, a modeler from Imperial College predicted 500,000 deaths from the virus in the UK, and 2.2 million in the US. Within the past two days, he has revised the UK number down to 20,000 for the UK (I haven't seen his revision for the US). Yet, none of the lockdowns started in the UK until mid-March, which means the virus was there and spreading, and yet the numbers they did have with no mitigating actions were orders of magnitude short of his dire predictions. Not surprisingly, Professor Ferguson does not want to release the code for his model.

The last two bullet points are the most important, because those formed the basis for responses around the world, including in this country, are based on the worst case scenarios that they presented. And even before we went down that path, there was enough data out there to strongly suggest that the worst case scenarios would not materialize even if we did nothing. While doing nothing would be imprudent, with the data we did have, we could have taken a much more measured approach that protected the vulnerable while not restraining everybody else outside of that group.

Instead, the response over here, by governors and mayors across the nation, has been based in fear of the worst case scenario, creating an unfounded panic which as driven unemployment significantly higher in a very short amount of time and caused economic damage that will linger long after the virus is gone, while turning the mere act of the acquisition of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and basic food items into the fucking Hunger Games. Well done, people take a bow (insert golf clap here).

I don't even know why you are making any reference to China at this point after conceding their faulty data and lack of credibility of their government's messaging regarding the virus. Their credibility was shot long ago, and in the last few days they've cut off their country to incoming travelers (XENOPHOBES!!!!) and expelled Western journalists.

An educated guess based on a lot more data - data that is trending strongly in the direction of his educated guess.

Speaking of data, we have a bit more that should now be considered:

View: https://twitter.com/MichaelCoudrey/status/1243734377198018560

This same doctor has done other tests with this drug with results in line with this, and other studies have also shown similar results. While the studied groups are in and of themselves not large enough to be statistically significant, pretty much every study with this drug has yielded results that, at worst, are in the same ballpark, if not nearly identical. This is a drug that has been around since the 1940's and has been used a lot so its side effects are very well known. And it's a drug for which there are 100's of millions of doses floating around the U.S. right now, exceeding the number of confirmed cases of COVD-19 by many orders of magnitude. Therefore, its wide availability and demonstrated effectiveness in fighting COVD-19 should be factored into how we proceed. It's another data point that says we can get the non-vulnerable back to work.

On the flip side of that though, we have governors (read: not medical professionals) in two states completely prohibiting the use of this drug to treat COVD-19. Care to comment on that?

Again ... China. Why even bring them into the debate at this point? They have as much credibility on COVD-19 as the Soviet government had on Chernobyl, i.e. absolute zero. Their reported numbers are meaningless.

This is purely conjecture on your part. If you want to make a point with this, present some actual data. Not anecdotes that come from some heartstring-pulling story from The New Yorker or The Atlantic Monthly, not a few anecdotes here and there, but actual data. Absent that, this point has no support and thus no validity.

Where did I do that? I'm merely trying to get the concerns of the workers considered in this discussion, with their needs balanced against those who are getting sick from COVD-19 and with the hopes that a compromise that addresses both sides and doesn't leave long lasting damage that will exceed that of the virus itself.

What the hell does that even mean? The 3.3 million newly unemployed I have mentioned multiple times in this debate are most certainly not the wealthy. I haven't heard anything about millionaires and billionaires losing their jobs en masse while the blue collar workers keep trucking along. As someone who studies economics in their spare time should know, ANY economic downturn affects those at the bottom of the ladder first, and affects them the most. Can you give me an example of an economic downturn that affected only the wealthy while those on an hourly wage just keep going like nothing happened? Either way, that's not the case here, so again, that point is a complete non sequiter.

You were saying? :D

If an economy cannot survive naturally occurring events, then it sounds like it wasn't a very good one.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If an economy cannot survive naturally occurring events, then it sounds like it wasn't a very good one.

Shutting down an economy indefinitely through edicts from a government does not qualify as a "naturally occurring event."

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Shutting down an economy indefinitely through edicts from a government does not qualify as a "naturally occurring event."

You can make a fortune right now.
Opportunity is knocking.
I am in the works on three new concepts that I plan on rolling out.
Think of the future and make a plan to win

bluecoconuts

Legend

I'll rephrase this. If the economy needs to be shut down as a result of something that is naturally occurring, such as a pandemic, then the economy wasn't as strong as it needed to be.

If we can't learn and adapt then we're doomed to repeat this again.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You can make a fortune right now.
Opportunity is knocking.
I am in the works on three new concepts that I plan on rolling out.
Think of the future and make a plan to win

I'm not looking to make a fortune, and I'll probably be fine throughout this, as I have a job where I already do the majority of my work at home (due to the fact that Austin traffic sucks donkey balls, and sucks them hard).

I'm more concerned about these people:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm not looking to make a fortune, and I'll probably be fine throughout this, as I have a job where I already do the majority of my work at home (due to the fact that Austin traffic sucks donkey balls, and sucks them hard).

I'm more concerned about these people:

That’s excellent news Thirteen

I own my own business - my factory is based in Austin actually - and have been paying into unemployment since 2006. Although I just closed a nice 10-year distribution deal with South Korea and China that will kick in next month me and my wife have gone on unemployment to get some of that cash we’ve been paying into for years back. Together we will get 4k plus a month which isn’t bad. There are ways to get through this. And when restaurants and businesses reopen in a couple months (late June/July) people will be hiring again. It might be a slog but the economy will get back to business. We’ll get through this. There will definitely be a correction. And I’ll start paying myself again when things look up.
The main thing we need to do is kill this virus. Everyone is working toward that goal

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'll rephrase this. If the economy needs to be shut down as a result of something that is naturally occurring, such as a pandemic, then the economy wasn't as strong as it needed to be.

That made even less sense.

And my argument isn't that the economy needs to be shut down, certainly not to the degree many are advocating. My argument is that we need to quarantine the most vulnerable, lift some of the restrictions so that people can get back to work.

Both aspirin and decapitation can cure headaches. Both have side effects. One of those solutions is better than the other.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The main thing we need to do is kill this virus. Everyone is working toward that goal

Yes, kill the virus. But not in such a way that it does long term damage to the economy and results in an even larger human toll.

Balance.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

And my argument isn't that the economy needs to be shut down, certainly not to the degree many are advocating. My argument is that we need to quarantine the most vulnerable, lift some of the restrictions so that people can get back to work.

Both aspirin and decapitation can cure headaches. Both have side effects. One of those solutions is better than the other.

Forgive me for not going back and reading all 40 plus pages. Which specific restrictions do we need to lift?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Forgive me for not going back and reading all 40 plus pages. Which specific restrictions do we need to lift?

Well, I didn't jump in until about page 36, but nevertheless.

I think we need to still keep the quarantine in effect for those that are in one of the vulnerable groups. And I would still keep in the restrictions for limiting large groups, e.g., concerts, sporting events, etc.

I would definitely DISCOURAGE quarantining in multi-generational households, as multiple epicenters (e.g., Lombary, Madrid, Queens NYC, Wuhan) have a larger than average number of multi-generational households, and that puts healthy, potentially asymptomatic people in close quarters with the vulnerable for long periods, making the vulnerable in those households even more vulnerable.

I would open up just about any business that can be opened, whether essential or non-essential. In geographic areas with lower infection rates, I might even allow some inside dining in restaurants. although maybe limiting the number that can be inside at any given time. And speaking of geographic differences, someplace like Montana, with a low population density, need not face the same restrictions as someplace like NYC.

Parks and open spaces would no longer be off limits, as they are in many cities - people can visit those and still maintain distance from others. You may have to make playscapes off limits for children for a little longer, at least until it gets hot outside, but that's not a big sacrifice.

Generally speaking, I think a targeted quarantine for the most vulnerable, while lifting restrictions for those at low risk is sensible now, and can limit the economic damage so that we don't make the cure worse than the disease itself.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Well, I didn't jump in until about page 36, but nevertheless.

I think we need to still keep the quarantine in effect for those that are in one of the vulnerable groups. And I would still keep in the restrictions for limiting large groups, e.g., concerts, sporting events, etc.

I would definitely DISCOURAGE quarantining in multi-generational households, as multiple epicenters (e.g., Lombary, Madrid, Queens NYC, Wuhan) have a larger than average number of multi-generational households, and that puts healthy, potentially asymptomatic people in close quarters with the vulnerable for long periods, making the vulnerable in those households even more vulnerable.

I would open up just about any business that can be opened, whether essential or non-essential. In geographic areas with lower infection rates, I might even allow some inside dining in restaurants. although maybe limiting the number that can be inside at any given time. And speaking of geographic differences, someplace like Montana, with a low population density, need not face the same restrictions as someplace like NYC.

Parks and open spaces would no longer be off limits, as they are in many cities - people can visit those and still maintain distance from others. You may have to make playscapes off limits for children for a little longer, at least until it gets hot outside, but that's not a big sacrifice.

Generally speaking, I think a targeted quarantine for the most vulnerable, while lifting restrictions for those at low risk is sensible now, and can limit the economic damage so that we don't make the cure worse than the disease itself.
The hospitals are at the breaking point. I think they need to keep people on lockdown until they can get ahead of this thing or else the mortality rate is going to sky rocket IMO. I'd rather see nature kill off the fragile businesses out their vs the people.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The hospitals are at the breaking point. I think they need to keep people on lockdown until they can get ahead of this thing or else the mortality rate is going to sky rocket IMO. I'd rather see nature kill off the fragile businesses out their vs the people.

False.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanSchachtel/status/1243953088899305472

Hospital admissions for COVD-19 have declined 3 days in a row.

No ventilator shortage either, especially after the NY gov was called out for having a couple thousand sitting in a warehouse.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanSchachtel/status/1243955503161638913

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

I don't understand this. If I tell you to stop taking in money, that makes your business model weak? That Boober Eats guy is a genius, but every business can't make that pivot.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I went shopping today and the economy looked like it was doing ok. Amazon is hiring hundreds of new people and I see fed ex and ups trucks all day long. Bad time to be in the sit down restaurant biz, but the economy is far from shut down.

bluecoconuts

Legend

The issue with that is that it's still going to spread and knock out most of your workforce for a while, additionally hospitals would be overran which would increase the death toll. Simply having the "most vulnerable" stay home doesn't solve the issue. Plus, where do you draw the line? The idea is not not overload hospitals, so they can treat everyone and thus we move past it.

I don't understand this. If I tell you to stop taking in money, that makes your business model weak? That Boober Eats guy is a genius, but every business can't make that pivot.

So economies grow and change as conditions change, right? At one point our country was mostly agricultural, and thus our economy reflected that labor market. Then we moved into the industrial age, and factory labor jobs were the driving force behind the economy. As automation has begun to take over, our economy is moving more into a service based market. There are benefits to this, such as remote working, yet for the majority of companies, they haven't been taking advantage of this. Billions of dollars are wasted in overhead because companies want everyone in the same building to sit at computers and do everything from their work station anyway. Of course there are some jobs that do require people to be physically present, but resistance to change, automation on a more massive level and growing jobs in sectors that better reflect that market, while shrinking those that become redundant leaves our economy suddenly vulnerable to things such as a pandemic. Or imagine a massive natural disaster that has a massive impact, even something man made such as a nuclear war that wipes out huge sections of various industries among the casualties (imagine the impact to the entertainment industry if nuclear weapons were to land in Los Angeles for example), there are tons of potential catastrophic events that can grind an economy to a halt such as this one.

The desire to simply push through at the risk of others health and get "back to normal" doesn't address the fundamental flaw in how we do day to day business and life that makes us at risk to these types of events. Companies taking advantage of employees adjusting to working from home could, for example, help mitigate an outbreak like this in the future (not that it would completely stop it, but it would have a slower spread) if they were to stay to this type of work. Impact on our climate can be significantly reduced by cutting the amount of traffic and commuting people are doing daily as well, which could potentially reduce chances of a major climate disaster in the future.

There's a lesson to be learned here.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
False.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanSchachtel/status/1243953088899305472

Hospital admissions for COVD-19 have declined 3 days in a row.

No ventilator shortage either, especially after the NY gov was called out for having a couple thousand sitting in a warehouse.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanSchachtel/status/1243955503161638913

Can't say I agree with your blanket "false" statement.

Your cherry-picked stat of "hospital admissions decrease for 10 days in a row" is an encouraging sign to be sure, but it is one data point among many. Just for starters-- common sense would tell me that if I had Covid-19 symptoms and I lived in NYC, the hospital is one of the LAST places I'd want to go. The ONLY reason I'd go to a hospital is if my symptoms were so bad that I thought my life was in danger.

Numerous stories of hospital workers feeling like they are in a "war zone", nurses and docs dealing with PTSD, working long shifts without breaks, having to use masks and other PPE for over a week, even stories of infected nurses being encouraged to keep working as long as they are asymptomatic. Covid Death rate in NYC in last 24 hours is one person every 9.5 minutes. So I don't know who the heck Jordan Schachtel is, but his blasé response of "NYC has good news" and "ignore the media hysteria" is not helpful, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.