Anyone else think Everett....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I expect we'll see better results there with experience. It's true that Goff and Everett aren't synced up and that Everett still makes some mistakes. But the trial by fire he's getting should push him to get better. There's no doubting his physical gifts.

And you see other more productive TEs all over the league. Everrett was a typical Snead guy with great measurables but a bit too raw for a top of the second round pick IMO. I love the potential but he still makes mistakes (like not getting OOB against the Eagles). I always worry with guys like him that 4 years of development just leads to training him for another team. I like a second round pick to produce right away, so they get at least a full four years of production out of them. It was a need pick that felt forced IMO. Hopefully he is finally figuring it out and can make a big impact from here on out, especially in the playoffs.

I can't agree with that. TEs were flying off the board in that draft. It was an absurdly good TE draft. I doubt Everett would have lasted much longer. And the rumors were that we badly wanted Evan Engram. It felt to me like McVay wanted to get a gifted TE to run his 12 personnel. After drafting Everett, he realized he had further to go than expected and opted to go with an 11 personnel approach. Y'all know I was a Kittle guy, but I couldn't criticize the Everett pick. He was an extraordinarily gifted TE with sure hands. I still think that pick will pan out for us. Although, Kittle would have given us a quicker impact.

TexasRam

Legend
I think both Everett and Higbee are very polished in the run game and as good as they are going to get which is pretty solid.

I don’t trust either guys hands yet in crunch time I.e. playoffs.

I think we are seeing Higbees ceiling which isn’t too bad. Not Pro Bowl level but key peice in the run game of a top offense and an occasional receiving option.

Everett’s ceiling as a pass catcher is a little higher than what we currently see. He is definitely settling in this year but doesn’t always have the chemistry with Goff the way Kupp, Woods and Cooks does.

It’s possible Everett breaks out for a huge game at some point. Like 10 catches for 180 yards, and then becomes a consistent go to receiving threat. Jared Cook finally broke out this year in his 10th year with almost 1000 yards receiving. I hope Everett doesn’t take that long.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About our TE production being tiny compared to that of the WR’s...

Well, a trio of Cooks, Woods, and Kupp is a lethal one, indeed. All 3 would have exceeded 1000 yards but for Kupp’s injuries. How does one NOT give them snaps and targets?

But these 2 TE’s have steadily been coming along and now Everett presents better mismatch opportunities than does Reynolds. Plus opposing D’s have schemed to take away our deeper passing game.

So McVay (finally) has gone to his 12 personnel of old, and with great success vs the Cards. Surely we will see a heavy dose of it throughout our playoff run.

My point is that the TE receiving percentages will be rising considerably in the future.

Honestly, I don’t envy any DC trying to defend against our “new” O as long as our OL remains healthy. It can beat you with either the run or the pass and do so by attacking whichever one that the DC is giving them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I expect we'll see better results there with experience. It's true that Goff and Everett aren't synced up and that Everett still makes some mistakes. But the trial by fire he's getting should push him to get better. There's no doubting his physical gifts.

I can't agree with that. TEs were flying off the board in that draft. It was an absurdly good TE draft. I doubt Everett would have lasted much longer. And the rumors were that we badly wanted Evan Engram. It felt to me like McVay wanted to get a gifted TE to run his 12 personnel. After drafting Everett, he realized he had further to go than expected and opted to go with an 11 personnel approach. Y'all know I was a Kittle guy, but I couldn't criticize the Everett pick. He was an extraordinarily gifted TE with sure hands. I still think that pick will pan out for us. Although, Kittle would have given us a quicker impact.

Exactly. Quicker impact could have been had later. Ingram was a pipe dream. Everrett looks to have good potential but has been out performed by Kittle, who was picked later in the 5th round. TE has always been a football IQ position for me. Everrett seems to still be figuring it out.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Situations and circumstances.

If Everett were in San Fran he would have and would be putting up better numbers. And if Kittle were with the Rams with Kupp playing in the slot, he would have and would be putting up lesser numbers.

That said, I think we might have seen a touch more of Everett earlier this season if he didn't miss so much time in training camp with the shoulder injury.