Anybody else notice a new peaceful easy feeling about the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m having a hard time remembering when I’ve had such utter confidence in a coaching staff to make all the right moves.

Maybe the GSOT?

Naw, not even then. Oh, there was never much doubt about their talent on O. But sometimes even then there were head scratcher decisions by Martz.

Needlessly exposing his QB to hits.
Running up scores when the outcome was no longer in doubt.
Stubbornness in play calling (SB 36?)
Do I have to mention their drafting?
The D in 2000.

But I digress...

Anyway, I’m beyond impressed with our current FO and coaching staff.

Talent acquisition that “fits” their needs via draft and FA, not to mention UDFA.
Excellent game plans every week.
Rapid player development, including vets that underperformed previously.
Ability to make in game adjustments.
These guys win games! That, alone, is enough, don’t you think? Lol.

A guy could get spoiled really easily after 12+ years of incompetence, you know?

Seriously, I’m still getting used to this feeling of comfort I have regarding this organization now. It seems strange, but it’s a nice strange. I LIKE it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This might be blasphemy, but I'm going to say it anyways:

I think this team is more balanced than the GSOT teams.

In 1999 and 2001, the Rams had the 5th and 3rd ranked defenses - very good. But despite being better statistically, I feel like the Rams current defenses are better. Sure, there were a few games that the GSOT defenses won by themselves, but not many (obviously the NFCCG against Tampa comes to mind..)

While Faulk was a much better player than Gurley, this Rams offense is committed to being balanced. Where it seemed like the GSOT only ran the ball because Marshall was the best player, this Rams team would still be running the ball if Malcolm Brown was the RB.

Special teams - this is the kicker. Having the best punter, best kicker and top return man in the NFL, along with great coverage units (and two blocked punts..) is insane.

Or I suppose this would be putting it a better way:

Aaron Donald is our best player. TruJo, Joyner, Brockers, Barron and Ogletree are all playing great, as is NRC - that's 7 defensive players that are playing really well - and I didn't even mention John Johnson, Webster, Quinn, Barwin or Longacre..

And yet defense is BY FAR our worst unit. That is a gross overabundance of talent that is manifesting all at the same time....and our defense can still play better.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With this team, any unit can win a game almost by themselves - we've seen it with special teams, offense, and nearly saw it with our defense against Seattle.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Not blasphemy but i don't agree with you entirely. I think this current Rams D is getting better and will be lights out next season if they bring in a couple more pieces better suited to the 3-4 but it's not on the same level as those GSOT defenses yet. Don't get me wrong, the Rams and Philly are easily the two most complete teams right now but that 2001 team was dominant in all three phases.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I agree with some. We are still in that phase of "we aren't quite there yet." but yes soon we can call ourselves the GSOTWC. Greatest Show On The West Coast.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think the 1999 and 2001 teams were better. This team is very good but I still think they are a year or two away from really contending for a championship. By midseason In both 1999 and 2001 I felt/thought both of those Rams teams were the best in the league and each would win the super bowl (well I got one right). The 1999 Rams finished #1 in total offense and #4 in total defense. the 2001 Rams were #1 in total offense in # 7 in total defense. Right now our Rams are 3rd in overall offense and 16th in defense. Both units are ascending and I think the defense will move up in the rankings and will be higher by the end of the season. I still have a very good feeling about this team and I think this team can reach as far as the NFC championship but as far as winning super bowl, I just do not feel it right now (I would love to be proven wrong).

After so much losing and offensive ineptitude I am truly just enjoying the ride as fan at this point. I also take comfort knowing that we have not seen the Ram's best yet and with key cogs in McVay and Goff being so young along with so much of the team, I think our Rams are now set up to have long, long, long, run of success.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

In 1999 and 2001, the Rams had the 5th and 3rd ranked defenses - very good. But despite being better statistically, I feel like the Rams current defenses are better. Sure, there were a few games that the GSOT defenses won by themselves, but not many (obviously the NFCCG against Tampa comes to mind..)

While Faulk was a much better player than Gurley, this Rams offense is committed to being balanced. Where it seemed like the GSOT only ran the ball because Marshall was the best player, this Rams team would still be running the ball if Malcolm Brown was the RB.

Special teams - this is the kicker. Having the best punter, best kicker and top return man in the NFL, along with great coverage units (and two blocked punts..) is insane.

Or I suppose this would be putting it a better way:

Aaron Donald is our best player. TruJo, Joyner, Brockers, Barron and Ogletree are all playing great, as is NRC - that's 7 defensive players that are playing really well - and I didn't even mention John Johnson, Webster, Quinn, Barwin or Longacre..

And yet defense is BY FAR our worst unit. That is a gross overabundance of talent that is manifesting all at the same time....and our defense can still play better.
I have to disagree!! This present Team is really Good, don't get me wrong! But the GSOT was great in all phases! This Team isn't there yet! JMHO!

KDS73

Rookie
I know they won't let me down. 'Cause I'm already standin'... on the ground.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
There was a point in Sunday's game when I caught myself thinking that this is a lot like 1999. Not sure we're there quite yet, but there is a lot of similar stuff going on. My favorite thing is all of the media confusion when trying to explain why this team keeps on winning when the experts know that they shouldn't be. It's just been one lousy team after another. Or maybe, just maybe, they all look lousy going up against a superior team. Nah, that couldn't be it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think the talent on this defense is better than what we had in 1999 or 2001.

Donald is head and shoulders, significantly better than any defensive player the Rams had during that era. This secondary is better IMO too.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Donald is head and shoulders, significantly better than any defensive player the Rams had during that era. This secondary is better IMO too.

Aeneas Williams? I mean, don't get me wrong; Donald is a future Hall-of-Famer if he continues his trajectory, but Aeneas was as dominant of a secondary player as I've ever seen.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Even if we stipulate some things... let's be clear.

The Rams in 2001 could have scored a LOT more. Why? Because they were SO DOMINANT that they frequently had huge early leads. And this team could always score from anywhere on any play. That team LITERALLY changed the game. Had they played like college, that team could EASILY have averaged over 40pts a game without breaking a sweat.

Warner was head and shoulders above where our young Goff is now and he had multiple HoFers as weapons (or soon to be as I think eventually both Bruce and Holt get in).

So while I'm LOVING this team in a way that's hard to describe, let's not go overboard.

That 2001 team especially was beyond dominant (which is why SB 36 is so damned painful).

What's exciting is that THIS team is executing beautifully and is becoming dominant (much closer to 1999 team, but still Warner is the biggest difference over Goff at this point...the difference between Faulk and TG3 isn't nearly as great for example).

That's tremendously exciting because this team is just finding it's groove and we don't have to deal with the shitshow that was the Rams ownership and FO like in 199-2001 that essentially ruined what should have been a dynasty.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
They are getting more comfortable and ironing out the little things. Rams are getting better game by game.

We haven't seen the Rams play their best game yet.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I'm not convinced your right! check this line-up out:
* DE- Kevin Carter
* DT- Ray Agnew
* DT- D'Marco Farr
* DE- Grant Wistrom

* LB- Mike Jones
* MLB- London Fletcher
* LB- Todd Collins

* CB- Todd Lyght
* CB- Dexter McCleon

* SS- Bily Jenkins
* FS Keith Lyle