Any room for Bortles in the MVP discussion along with Keenum? I think so.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
GURLEY , BRADY , BELL are my only options

Todd has alot more touchdowns than any other position player and plays on the best offense. He's my pick if I'm a Rams fan or not

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I am over the moon for this Rams team and everyone on it.

And with that, I have no qualms about saying that Keenum is having an MVP season.

Better than Brady.

I agree with Mojo that if it’s to the most valuable player to a team, it’s Wilson.

But since that’s not it, I think it’s Keenum in a runaway.

I think Keenum, Gurley, Bell, Wentz, Wilson, Aaron Donald, Brady, Jared Goff, Alex Smith, A. Brown, Stafford, K. Hunt, Big Ben, Drew Brees, before Bortles.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brady is a good QB that doesn't make stupid mistakes. Ever notice that when he goes out the Pats don't have drop off in wins? Now, look at Green Bay when Rodgers goes out. They aren't even a .500 team. Same with Seattle. So to make Brady the MVP is BS. That's why I don't take the award with any seriousness. It's a popularity contest based on perception, not facts.
So I guess with that line of thinking, Case Keenum is out of the conversation too?

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
You sure about that???

Fournette
231 rushes
923 yards
4.0 YPA

8 games with a YPA under 4, 4 games under 3 YPA. He's had a couple of games where he has put up good production but overall he's been below average in most games. He's had 3 games all year over 4 YPA and one was the Rams who gave him a 75 yarder then stuffed his ass the rest of the game. He was a big reaosn the Jags lost.

That's the starter, the "workhorse" back. And he's not very good.

Ivory
112 rushes
382 yards
3.4 YPA

That's all you need to know.

Bortles
51 rushes
282 yards
5.5 YPA

Yeldon
40 rushes
235 yards
5.9 YPA

So Fournette and Ivory have 343 attempts for 1305 yards and 3.8 YPA.

Is that a good running game?

When you consider that defenses KNOW the run is coming then yes, that's a good run game. The same exact thing happened to Fournette that happened to Gurley his rookie year. They light the world on fire at first but then defenses realize they are the only true threat so they sell out to shut it down. He's also had a nagging ankle injury.

I was at the Rams vs Jaguars game and Fournette is NOT average. Anybody who thinks that is looking at too many stat sheets instead of watching the film. Or do you think Gurley is also mediocre? Because he averaged 3.2 YPC last year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I find it strange that people look at number of TD passes as a way to compare and rate QB’s. That is just strange.
Scoring TD's is kinda important. If you can do that...you're kinda special and important to your teams success.
I thought at some point Keenum’s play would level out some
Wait til he gets outside...NFL is cold like that..just when you think the noodle arm is good enough, the weather changes and you have to play good teams outside.
Seriously impressed with Keenum....I thought he looked ok at Houston...then just went to shit out here...damn shame. Vince Young is right.

I always thought Bortles had the skills to play...don't know why most hate scramblers? I'm gonna continue to try and figure that one out. He has a funky throwing motion...he's a lil inexperienced as far as total years behind a center...don't know how much he played in college...but he's thrown for 4000 yards before..looks like he'll do it again.

Same with Hackenberg.....same with Hundley( watch him help us vs Minnesota).

and

LOGAN THOMAS!!! LOLOLOLOL

When you consider that defenses KNOW the run is coming then yes, that's a good run game. The same exact thing happened to Fournette that happened to Gurley his rookie year. They light the world on fire at first but then defenses realize they are the only true threat so they sell out to shut it down. He's also had a nagging ankle injury.

I was at the Rams vs Jaguars game and Fournette is NOT average. Anybody who thinks that is looking at too many stat sheets instead of watching the film. Or do you think Gurley is also mediocre? Because he averaged 3.2 YPC last year.
I can't find updated statistics, but through five games, the Jaguars led the league in facing eight-man fronts:

"No team has faced more eight-plus-man boxes than the Jaguars, yet they're still able to consistently move the ball on the ground. It's a testament to just how committed coach Doug Marrone is to the run game -- and to minimize the reliance on Blake Bortles, a strategy that's almost unheard of in this quarterback-driven era."​

It seems to me Bortles is the one holding Fournette back.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

And Gurley was mediocre last year wasn't he? Nobody could make a case that he performed well.

The Rams clamped down on Fournette big time after the 75 yard rushing TD. He had 20 rushes for 55 yards after that. He was a complete non-factor from that point forward, and that's happened on more than one occasion this year.

How can you say he isn't average when he has had just 3 games with over 4 YPC.

His two big statistical games that actually up his average were the Rams and Steelers. He had a 90 yard run for a TD in that game. Prior to that run at the end of the game he had 27 carries for 91 yards. That's mediocre.

What does it mean to be "part of the conversation" if no one (including you) actually believes Bortles should win?

It simply means a case can be made that he deserves consideration, not that he is a lock or in the lead, it simply means he's in the mix. I'd have no problem if he or Keenum got it, though Wilson probably has the strongest case. There is no "wrong" answer unless it just gets handed to someone like Brady because of a "brand name".

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Before Bortles last 3 game stretch, he had completed only 58% of his passes with 12 td, 8 int and a QB rating of 79.5

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
So I guess with that line of thinking, Case Keenum is out of the conversation too?
I would love for someone to tell me exactly what Brady has done to be NFL MVP. This isn't directed at you per se, but, I have yet to have anyone explain why he deserves it. He is a good QB on a team with a top defense. What has he done the Keenum, (who let's not forget started the year as a backup) has not done. Please, anyone?

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
And Gurley was mediocre last year wasn't he? Nobody could make a case that he performed well.

The Rams clamped down on Fournette big time after the 75 yard rushing TD. He had 20 rushes for 55 yards after that. He was a complete non-factor from that point forward, and that's happened on more than one occasion this year.

His two big statistical games that actually up his average were the Rams and Steelers. He had a 90 yard run for a TD in that game. Prior to that run at the end of the game he had 27 carries for 91 yards. That's mediocre.

It simply means a case can be made that he deserves consideration, not that he is a lock or in the lead, it simply means he's in the mix. I'd have no problem if he or Keenum got it, though Wilson probably has the strongest case. There is no "wrong" answer unless it just gets handed to someone like Brady because of a "brand name".

You do realize that Fournette is still averaging over 100 total YPG, right? And I'm not going to argue any further if the only thing you are going to bring up is YPC because there are a LOT of factors outside of the running backs control that effect his efficiency. Fournette has generated a ton of YAC and allowed the passing game to open up for Bortles.

And no, Gurley wasn't mediocre last year. His offense was just trash. He was the only offensive threat and our O-line sucked, he had nowhere to go. He had the fewest yards before contact of any RB in the league. Todd didn't dominate high school, star every year at Georgia, take the NFL by storm his rookie year, forget how to play football his 2nd year, and then all of a sudden remember how to play again this year on his way to an MVP-worthy season.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

Also, if your sole argument is based on YPC then let's look at a few stats:

Fournette: 4.0 YPC
Le'Veon Bell: 4.0 YPC
Lesean McCoy: 4.1 YPC
Zeke: 4.1 YPC
Melvin Gordon: 3.8 YPC

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Also, if your sole argument is based on YPC then let's look at a few stats:

Fournette: 4.0 YPC
Le'Veon Bell: 4.0 YPC
Lesean McCoy: 4.1 YPC
Zeke: 4.1 YPC
Melvin Gordon: 3.8 YPC

None are in the top 15 in this stat, Elliot and McCoy are the only ones on that list in the top 20.

No matter how you measure Fournette he is nothing spectacular IMO. He's a decent back, no more or less.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
None are in the top 15 in this stat, Elliot and McCoy are the only ones on that list in the top 20.

No matter how you measure Fournette he is nothing spectacular IMO. He's a decent back, no more or less.

Are you dense? My point was that YPC isn't the only stat that matters. I don't care that Le'Veon averages less YPC than Alex Collins and Devonta Freeman, because Bell is a top 3 back and way better than both those guys.

Believe what you want but I'm saving this post so just be prepared to eat a whole lot of crow next year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Are you dense? My point was that YPC isn't the only stat that matters. I don't care that Le'Veon averages less YPC than Alex Collins and Devonta Freeman, because Bell is a top 3 back and way better than both those guys.

Believe what you want but I'm saving this post so just be prepared to eat a whole lot of crow next year.

Yes I'm dense.

So lets see some other stats that prove LF is a good RB.

Bell HAS been a top back. But he isn't this year so far. Yes maybe he can be again next year........

And we aren't talking about him are we..........

And by the way Bell and the others on that list have not had as many shit games combined as Fournette has had on his own.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fournette is facing more stacked boxes than any other HB in the NFL. IIRC, it was over 50% of the time (EDIT: Fournette has faced a stacked box [8 or more defenders] on 52.38% of his rushing attempts). We all remember Gurley's struggles last year when teams stacked the box and our blocking sucked. Gurley didn't just suddenly remember how to play football again this year. Truth is that Fournette is a really good HB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles doesn't deserve an extension let alone mvp consideration :redcard:

Bortles is under contract for next year. I was always of the opinion that we could see good things from him this year if the Jags defense and running game play well because Bortles will regain the confidence he once had simply by virtue of team success and pressure being alleviated from him. If he continues to play well this year, they'll bring him back under the fifth-year option next year. If he has another good year, he'll earn an extension.

I think people are too quick to give up on QBs. Most QBs don't hit their prime until around 27 years old. People treat young QBs like they should be prime Peyton Manning. Not every team gets a Brady or a Manning or a Rodgers. Sometimes, you just have to accept that you have a good enough QB and leave it at that. People always want what they can't have.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Not every team gets a Brady or a Manning or a Rodgers. Sometimes, you just have to accept that you have a good enough QB and leave it at that. People always want what they can't have.

True. Very true.