Any room for Bortles in the MVP discussion along with Keenum? I think so.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
JAX is 10-4 and is going to probably finish 12-4. Early in the year the team and Bortles were up and down. Not so much now. Bortles has had crap for a run attack to help out for the most part but they manage to score a lot of points anyway.

I don't think he should win it, but without his fairly steady play that team is some 7-9 bullcrap.

Keenum..........well he has been playing good football for sure.

Neither guy is putting up gaudy fireworks numbers but they are a huge reason their teams are winning.
Not the mvp, but with his name he could be the butler in a bad BBC murder mystery.

TexasRam

Legend
I find it strange that people look at number of TD passes as a way to compare and rate QB’s. That is just strange.

If Goff has 10 less TD passes than another Qb because he turns around and hands the ball off to his RB 10 more times than the next QB, does that make Goff less of a QB?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Say what you will about Bortles and his competition but he lost his best WR week 1, has lost many other receivers along the way, has been playing behind an injured OL, and both Fournette/Ivory have struggled to stay healthy. Bortles has made a 33 year old Marcedes Lewis look like he is in his prime again and has been throwing TD passes to guys signed of the practice squad.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
JAX is 10-4 and is going to probably finish 12-4. Early in the year the team and Bortles were up and down. Not so much now. Bortles has had crap for a run attack to help out for the most part but they manage to score a lot of points anyway.

I don't think he should win it, but without his fairly steady play that team is some 7-9 bullcrap.

Keenum..........well he has been playing good football for sure.

Neither guy is putting up gaudy fireworks numbers but they are a huge reason their teams are winning.

To answer your question at the top of the thread.......um....no.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I would put Goff above Bortles and Goff has no chance at MVP this season.
Exactly. Why are we bringing up a lesser quarterback on a Rams Board, when our own quarterback has meant more to OUR team, and SHOULD be in the conversation for MVP, (though I think below Gurley, and a few other candidates.) Goff is certainly top 7. Bortles is probably not top 20, and has probably kept his team back from winning, in the early games, and now has strung together a few good games. Goff has consistently been a reason for the Rams success.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well if you go by the true definition of MVP its Russell Wilson and its not even close. That's a bad team minus Wilson.

That's not how the award works though.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I am over the moon for this Rams team and everyone on it.

And with that, I have no qualms about saying that Keenum is having an MVP season.

Better than Brady.

I agree with Mojo that if it’s to the most valuable player to a team, it’s Wilson.

But since that’s not it, I think it’s Keenum in a runaway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bortles and Keenum have no business being in the MVP conversation. Being a QB on a top team doesn't entitle you to MVP imo.
Warner did. Granted his numbers were obscene compared to what Keenum is doing, but he too came out of nowhere to be a part of that playoff/SB run. And I thought it was largely considered that Keenum is a bad QB. If true, then what he's doing is even more amazing.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
So, I'll just leave this here. This is since November 12th. The past 6 games.
Keenum played: Redskins, Rams, Lions, Falcons, Panthers and Bengals.
Brady played: Bronco's, Raiders, Dolphins, Bills, Dolphins, Steelers.
Bortles played: Chargers, Browns, Cardinals, Colts, Seahawks, Texans, Niners.
Goff played: Texans, Vikings, Saints, Cardinals, Eagles, Seahawks,
Roethlisberger played: Colts, Titans, Packers, Bengals, Ravens, Patriots.

Code:
            Com    Att   Per    Yards  TD's  Ints  YPA
Keenum      141    194  72.7%    1609    13    4    8.3
Brady       140    207  67.6%    1622    12    5    7.8   
Bortles     129    205  62.9%    1490     9    3    7.3
Goff        127    195  65.1%    1473    11    3    7.6
Roeth       172    257  66.9%    1963    16    5    7.2

So Keenum and Goff played 3 maybe 4 playoff teams depending on how it shakes out.
Brady played 2
Bortles, 0 maybe 1
Roethlisberger 1

But yeah, Brady is the MVP.

I thought at some point Keenum’s play would level out some, but he has continued to play great. Case was always a good guy glad to see him have success.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Say what you will about Bortles and his competition but he lost his best WR week 1, has lost many other receivers along the way, has been playing behind an injured OL, and both Fournette/Ivory have struggled to stay healthy. Bortles has made a 33 year old Marcedes Lewis look like he is in his prime again and has been throwing TD passes to guys signed of the practice squad.

I thought for sure that you'd post that Bortles graphic you sent me on Instagram yesterday.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keenum has been great. Started slow but the team has kicked in to high gear with him at the helm. Quieted the doubters all season with better and better play. Bortles? Spent the season playing so poorly it invoked conversation of signing Kaepernick and trading for Manning after the season. So it’s an insult imo to compare Blake to Case.
But still, Keenum isn’t the mvp either. Just because he got injured shouldn’t invalidate his season so imo the MVP is Wentz.
Out of the active players it should be Gurley or Donald

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Honestly, neither of them deserve serious consideration. And you're smoking some good stuff if you think Bortles hasn't had a good running game this year. You forget that the running game was the ONLY thing they had for a while. Bortles threw for under 150 yards in 3 of their first 5 games.... That's not MVP material.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Blake Bortles has been the best QB in the NFL over the last three weeks,

He's been good most of the year. He's had a couple of bad games but he is doing more than being a game manager on a team nobody picked to go anywhere..........and now is picked by many to go to the SB.

What are you talking about? Jags have the highest ypg of any team on the ground.

The two "starters" are average and are getting most of the carries. The third string guy and Bortles are the ones with the high YPA.

Fournette is 4.0 and Ivory is 3.4

Bortles is 5.5. Yeldon is 5.9

The QB scrambling out of the pocket due to a so-so OL isn't really a run game.

If he was doing this good al year i would say no doubt.

He has been though that's why I started the topic. Same with Keenum,

Being a QB on a top team doesn't entitle you to MVP imo.

If the top team is winning because you are the QB it puts you in the conversation. And in both of these cases that's the truth.

Niether of these guys are top 10 QB's but that's not what I said. They are both a direct reason their teams are in the conversation for a SB trip. Without them where are these teams going?

I think people outside of Florida don't hear much about the teams way the hell down here, not that MIA or TB are worth knowing about. Maybe the media coverage I hear sways my opinion, but it looks to me like Bortles is doing more than managing games. And so is Keenum.

Well if you go by the true definition of MVP its Russell Wilson and its not even close. That's a bad team minus Wilson.

I think you are right. Wilson has kept that team from being total ass...........and probably deserves MVP more than anyone this year..........but what I am saying is that Bortles and Keenum are doing some of that too. The Jags and Vikings aren't going anywhere and don't have winning records if Bortles and Keenum are giving their teams average or below average QB play.

And I thought it was largely considered that Keenum is a bad QB. If true, then what he's doing is even more amazing.

I believe that a lot of Rams fans thought he was, but don't feel that way now!

And he has shit for a rushing attack to support him too. Maybe after reading this thread Keenum is in front of Bortles in the conversation. Not saying either should get it because as Mojo pointed out Wilson is keeping the Seahawks from a complete implosion.

But they have to be part of the conversation.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honestly, neither of them deserve serious consideration. And you're smoking some good stuff if you think Bortles hasn't had a good running game this year. You forget that the running game was the ONLY thing they had for a while. Bortles threw for under 150 yards in 3 of their first 5 games.... That's not MVP material.

You sure about that???

Fournette
231 rushes
923 yards
4.0 YPA

8 games with a YPA under 4, 4 games under 3 YPA. He's had a couple of games where he has put up good production but overall he's been below average in most games. He's had 3 games all year over 4 YPA and one was the Rams who gave him a 75 yarder then stuffed his ass the rest of the game. He was a big reaosn the Jags lost.

That's the starter, the "workhorse" back. And he's not very good.

Ivory
112 rushes
382 yards
3.4 YPA

That's all you need to know.

Bortles
51 rushes
282 yards
5.5 YPA

Yeldon
40 rushes
235 yards
5.9 YPA

So Fournette and Ivory have 343 attempts for 1305 yards and 3.8 YPA.

Is that a good running game?

A55VA6

Legend
Absolutely not. He's playing good football, don't get me wrong. But MVP? Not even close.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Brady is a good QB that doesn't make stupid mistakes. Ever notice that when he goes out the Pats don't have drop off in wins? Now, look at Green Bay when Rodgers goes out. They aren't even a .500 team. Same with Seattle. So to make Brady the MVP is BS. That's why I don't take the award with any seriousness. It's a popularity contest based on perception, not facts.