Any news on Obo??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yes some when Wade had most of all his still walking wounded Edge Rushers spending all their time in the trainer's room instead of on the field. By week 7 the Rams were in panic mode @ the OLB'er posts.

Trevon Young played in 2 games & saw his first snaps with the defense in the regular season in the 9ers gm wk 7 & had one very big play. TY lined up in the Samson Ebukam post in that 9ers game. He sure has excellent size for that position 6-4 260lbs. It was obvious that TY was not fully healthy yet. Thus Rams then made the trade for Dante Fowler @ that time.

I would believe that Wade & Barry have very high hopes in TY this season. He does have some very good overall skills as a pass rusher. However, his medical past will give us great concern. IMO....TY will either be fully healthy in TC & contribute and play or will be released.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/player-blurb-trevon-young-de-louisville/

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...t-louisville-pick-los-angeles-rams/547085002/

http://draftanalyst.com/trevon-young

Yeah, he has always intrigued me. Has the size and ability to be a player and if he has fully recovered from that hip injury from a few years ago, he could be a real find.

Looking forward to see how he looks in preseason...

BTW, I probably just jinxed the kid and he will be out for n two weeks.

They already cut Sumpter, the kid I mentioned as a sleeper in the UDFA class. So good luck TY!

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing against Obo, but it seems the other OLB the Rams drafted in the 6th round after him, Trevon Young, seems to go unnoticed on this board. If not for his Hip injury suffered at the end of hid Sophmore season @ Louisville, he probably gets drafted in the 3rd or 4th round.
Here is a highlight from last season of him dropping into coverage against the Fullback and then recovering a fumble forced by Samson.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CInyhAZ4IT8

I am watching that play, and I can't see what happens to Donald, but he must have slipped, because he ends up flat on his back. That doesn't happen often.

oldnotdead

Legend
I would agree with those scouts who find Obo hard to slot. He did flash at times but the consistency was missing. People need to understand Wade Phillips defense in order to try to make sense of what he's looking for in players. Since his time as the Charger's DC Wade has transitioned to the 3-4 hybrid defense scheme. Essentially it's a one gap 3-4 alignment. Using traditional 3-4 players he plays them much like a 4-3 defensive front. The second DE is a OLB who plays with his hand in the dirt most of the snaps. That is where Dante Fowler fits. This style of defense was made popular by Chuck Pagano when he was in Baltimore. Fowler is playing the position that Terrell Suggs played under Pagano in Baltimore as the WILL.

Because it's a one gap scheme it's an attacking, penetrating style of play. When you see the Rams in their base defense it would appear to be a standard 4-3 alignment. But the beauty of this scheme is that the Rush LB can align on either the strong or weak side depending upon match up.

Ebukam usually aligns as a standard SAM LB which is why he isn't pass rushing as much. His assignment is setting the edge in run plays and covering the RB in the flats. Samson is developing into a pretty good SAM LB. I would like him to replace Brockers next year as it would bring more flexibility to the position. Brockers has lost a step IMO.

Obo looks like they are going to play him in rotation with Fowler. Whether or not Obo can out play him is debatable. At the very least he should provide good depth there.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Didn't he get some playing time too? I thought he had a interception against the Winers. Did he get hurt? Hope the kid comes in healthy so he can give it his best shot

Yes, it was a fumble recovery because Samson had knocked the ball out before the QB's arm went forward....though, it did look like an INT in real time. That play is the video I posted.