Andrew Whitworth to return for 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I was thinking we couldn't afford both whit and Saffold but if letting sully go leaves 6 mil on the table then give that to Saffold, move Allen or Blyth to center and maybe noteboom to rg.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
jowvMy6.gif
This should be in the Kraft thread LOL

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
This is great. Saffold and Sullivan next? Or do we go with the young blood?

Can't go with him. He plays defense and last I heard he had a broken leg.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I was thinking we couldn't afford both whit and Saffold but if letting sully go leaves 6 mil on the table then give that to Saffold, move Allen or Blyth to center and maybe noteboom to rg.
We can't leave Noteboom at RG, or we'll need to draft his replacement, as he WILL be replacing Whit at LT after this season. I'd be fine with him being there at RG this season temporarily, then moving to LT in 2020; however, still being Whit's back-up at LT may make RG a tenuous position. I'd almost rather keep Blythe at RG & put in Allen (or Groy? that'd be ideal) at C. Maybe spell Blythe with Boom on obvious passing downs?
I dunno guys, but assuming Noteboom will be our RG this season worries me. I'd rather keep continuity there. It's possible that getting Groy or substituting Allen for Sullivan will shore up the middle enough to help Blythe. I think Sullivan was more our weaker link than Blythe - isn't Sullivan kinda hurt anyway? or am I mis-remembering? If so, Blythe may have been helping Sully more than the other way around. I'm no OL expert, so feel free to clarify this for me.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that Sully tends to get tired in the second half of the season. And it will probably be even more pronounced this year, frankly.

Therefore, Kromer needs to have Sully’s replacement at the ready. Perhaps as soon as opening day, even.

No point in sugarcoating it. I love Sully and truly admire and appreciate his contributions, but the tape doesn’t lie. He is definitely our weakest link on that OL and it’s only gonna get worse as time goes on.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We can't leave Noteboom at RG, or we'll need to draft his replacement, as he WILL be replacing Whit at LT after this season. I'd be fine with him being there at RG this season temporarily, then moving to LT in 2020; however, still being Whit's back-up at LT may make RG a tenuous position. I'd almost rather keep Blythe at RG & put in Allen (or Groy? that'd be ideal) at C. Maybe spell Blythe with Boom on obvious passing downs?
I dunno guys, but assuming Noteboom will be our RG this season worries me. I'd rather keep continuity there. It's possible that getting Groy or substituting Allen for Sullivan will shore up the middle enough to help Blythe. I think Sullivan was more our weaker link than Blythe - isn't Sullivan kinda hurt anyway? or am I mis-remembering? If so, Blythe may have been helping Sully more than the other way around. I'm no OL expert, so feel free to clarify this for me.

I'm following you. I sort of feel reeeaaal good knowing Notebook is ready to sub on the left side in event of injury to Whitworth or Saffold.

I'd rather he be there as insurance-starter on such a critical side of our line. I almost view that sub a must-have.

dang

Legend
Continued OL success is the key to offensive success in 2019. Its time to upgrade at center to begin the transition to a younger OL over the next 2 years. I am betting the better of Allen or Blythe are Sullivan's replacement at center. I would also like to improve at RG. If Saffold is re-upped - then Noteboom can slide into RG or takeover at LT allowing Whit to anchor the RG position for a year. I personally think Noteboom can take over at LT this year but perhaps he needs one more year to prep. Additional depth on the OL should also be addressed through the draft.

Last edited:

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
I'm following you. I sort of feel reeeaaal good knowing Notebook is ready to sub on the left side in event of injury to Whitworth or Saffold.

I'd rather he be there as insurance-starter on such a critical side of our line. I almost view that sub a must-have.

It’s called cross training! All he has to do is slide over to LT if needed. I believe it is better to have the best 5 start.
So experience doesn’t count ??
—just glad Whit is back & Noteboom(Rams) has the option to use him as they need.

Last edited:

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick

I don’t understand the Groy love ?? Sullivan was such a better fit for The Rams. His 2 years with The Rams have been pretty big
the improvement of the offense.
To think The Rams would put Noteboom in on probable passing is one of the silliest things I’ve heard if your talking about worry about injury. When a player is dialed it would seem changing spot would make it easier than coming in cold ??
That’s just my opinion though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/how-does-whitworth-s-return-impact-the-2019-offensive-line

How does Whitworth's return impact the RAMS 2019 offensive line?
Myles Simmons 3/5/2019

While there was suspense in public, behind the scenes the Rams apparently knew for a good amount of time that left tackle Andrew Whitworth would be returning for his 14th professional season in 2019.

Last week, Whitworth confirmed that news with a tweet, telling therams.com he did it in order to alleviate the Rams’ brass of having to answer questions about him that he could answer himself.

But with that news as official as possible, both general manager Les Snead and head coach Sean McVay explained over the weekend why it’s so significant to have the big left tackle back in the fold.

“It’s big. I mean, he’s been so instrumental in what we’ve bene able to do for the last two years. What he’s going to represent moving forward, you know you’ve got a stable piece on that left side of the line,” McVay said. “But more importantly, you’ve got one of your core leaders that affects and influences everything we do in the building. And it’s not exclusive to players — it’s for me as well as a coach. And you’re just thankful to have him back leading and doing those things the right way. But to have him around, you really can’t put into words how important that’ll be.”

unphv1mzway575ibeurl.jpg

“I don’t know if I call it a blessing in disguise, because I think you see ‘Whit’ play this year and you got a gut feeling he was coming back,” Snead told therams.com. “He loves football, the way that we manage his schedule — we don’t beat him up, we allow that older body to stay fresh.

“You know what? We got a starting left tackle. Next year, that’s a big bonus — you got one of our pillars in the locker room back — that’s an even bigger bonus,” Snead continued. “He’ll still be able to help develop some of our young offensive linemen that we drafted last year and we’ll draft this year to take over the reins when he does decide to move on.”

If you spend any time around the Rams locker room, it’s clear just how important Whitworth is in terms of his leadership. Last year’s top draft picks in offensive linemen Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen both credited Whitworth for helping them assimilate to the league. And with left guard Rodger Saffold’s status as a pending unrestricted free agent, having Whitworth back means that the Rams will have at least one of their key pillars on the left side of the line back in 2019.

The Rams’ offensive line has been as consistent as any unit in the league over the past two years, with each member of the regular lineup starting each game in the regular season and postseason. The only change between 2017 and 2018 was Austin Blythe replacing Jamon Brown at right guard — a change necessitated by Brown’s two-game suspension to begin the 2018 season. Saffold’s potential departure would create a significant void on the offensive line. But with Whitworth entrenched at left tackle, the Rams would likely be able to ease in the transition with any new starter up front.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“You know what? We got a starting left tackle. Next year, that’s a big bonus — you got one of our pillars in the locker room back — that’s an even bigger bonus,” Snead continued. “He’ll still be able to help develop some of our young offensive linemen that we drafted last year and we’ll draft this year to take over the reins when he does decide to move on.”

(y)