Andrew Whitworth Leaving Door Open For Rams Return, 'Never Say Never’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Is Andrew Whitworth contemplating returning to the LA Rams?

You can take the man out of the NFL. But can you ever take the NFL out of the man? That is certainly a question and discussion worth posing to LA Rams’ now-retired offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth. After all, all Andrew Whitworth has known for the previous 16 years is showing up to learn the latest new wrinkles in the offensive playbook, meet his new coaches and teammates, and get ready to play another season of NFL football.

This year, it’s all changed. Or has it?

You might think that the LA Rams would be facing a new season without the presence of Andrew Whitworth in training camp, right? Well if you did, you would be wrong. Big Whit is showing up. Is it just curiosity, habit, or perhaps something more?

For a guy who has just retired, it appears that letting go of football is not as easy to do as it is to say. The guy is a treasure trove of NFL knowledge, experiences, and stories that could fill novels. He is actually older than head coach Sean McVay, a fact that ended up giving McVay cause to entrust Whitworth with a level of trust and confidential discussions that are uncommon in NFL circles between players and coaches.

Player/coach Whitworth?​

Old habits may be hard to break. But does anyone really want Whitworth to stay away? For that matter, does Andrew Whitworth?

Some have whispered the thought (or is it just the hope) that Andrew Whitworth is staying in football shape, and is remaining so in case the LA Rams need him to return to the team to help make a playoff run for Super Bowl LVII. After all, the Rams were able to add formerly retired Eric Weddle in time to reinforce the secondary for the NFL Playoffs.

But that would certainly undermine the Rams’ confidence in OT Joseph Noteboom, wouldn’t it? After all the LA Rams re-signed the guy to a contract that screams ‘I’m the new starting left tackle,’ with the amount of compensation and the number of years. It would be a bit foolish to go back on that commitment this early out of the gates. Even if nothing more than an emergency Plan B option, it would not bode well for trying to synch up the offensive line.

But the Rams may be wise to bring Whitworth on board as an intern or associate coach. That role would continue to provide access to Whitworth’s vast football knowledge and guidance while ensuring the young players are not looking over their shoulders at the possibility of Whitworth taking their job.

Whatever way the LA Rams can work out some justification to keep Andrew Whitworth plugged into this team is ideal. After all, Big Whit has been a big reason for

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Whit is going to stay in shape, because he will feel he has lots of time to do that - year one. He knows how to train. His garage is a gym. He will keep a lot of those habits, if not all, this first year.

I hope we don’t need him, but he’ll be in shape.

And a coaching gig next year makes sense.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I really don't see Whitworth playing or coaching in the future. Looks like he has already dropped weight, which is great. Could see him having a presence around the Rams this season, as he transitions into retirement; and that could have a positive impact on some individual players and team chemistry.

See him doing something in the media but sometimes it takes a year to find or get the right opportunity (unless you're a QB). Much easier and more lucrative than coaching. Just my hunch / opinion.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Whit is going to stay in shape, because he will feel he has lots of time to do that - year one. He knows how to train. His garage is a gym. He will keep a lot of those habits, if not all, this first year.

I hope we don’t need him, but he’ll be in shape.

And a coaching gig next year makes sense.
I concur with most of this, but not sure if Whit will ever coach, maybe later, when his children get older. It takes quite a commitment to be an Assistant Coach, many hours IMO, for a few years I believe Whit will want to spend more time with the family and then maybe later on, commit to coaching, if that is part of his plan.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would do everything I could to get him to sign on as an Asst OL Coach now. And I am sure Stan would pony up the bucks for him. He might step on Zack Kromer's toes a bit but his resume speaks for itself. The moment he's serious about it he would have a job offer and probably not just with the Rams.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I would do everything I could to get him to sign on as an Asst OL Coach now. And I am sure Stan would pony up the bucks for him.
What if that cost was more than the salary of OL-coach Kevin Carberry? Or the Coordinators Coen and Morris?

Would you still do it?

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
I think the deal is that Big Whit wants a life. Easy to understand that.
So why not a "consultant" gig that takes the amount of time he's willing to give?

BC

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Not many get to go out like Whit did: Walter Payton Man of the Year and a Superbowl champion-- against the team that let him walk because he "was too old", nonetheless.

I wouldn't mind him sticking around the team but I don't think we'll be seeing him suit up again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if that cost was more than the salary of OL-coach Kevin Carberry? Or the Coordinators Coen and Morris?

Would you still do it?
No.

Do you think it likely that Whit would ask for more than Carberry or the coordinators?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
No.

Do you think it likely that Whit would ask for more than Carberry or the coordinators?
No.

I was asking because you wrote ‘everything I could’ and ‘Stan would pony up’.

That suggested a whatever is necessary to get it done approach.

Personally, I don’t think players, who have made huge money, upon retirement, with options and opportunities like Whitworth will have ever choose the grind of being an assistant coach.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well then touche. Point scored for you well done.

Psycho_X

Legend
Edwards and Noteboom still training with Whitworth it looks like. I'd say it would take extraordinary circumstances to make Big Whit unretire at this point especially after learning he's already lost a good bit of weight but I'm glad to see the boys still working out together. I'm hoping with Whitworth's presence this offseason being plentiful that he takes on a leadership/mentor role in the organization much like Ray Agnew did after he retired for the past couple decades before following Brad Holmes to Detroit. You can't have enough good mentors for young men to look up to and go to for advice.

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CezrGGUlrx5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Edwards and Noteboom still training with Whitworth it looks like. I'd say it would take extraordinary circumstances to make Big Whit unretire at this point especially after learning he's already lost a good bit of weight but I'm glad to see the boys still working out together. I'm hoping with Whitworth's presence this offseason being plentiful that he takes on a leadership/mentor role in the organization much like Ray Agnew did after he retired for the past couple decades before following Brad Holmes to Detroit. You can't have enough good mentors for young men to look up to and go to for advice.

David Edwards, Joe Noteboom still work out in Andrew Whitworth's garage​

Cameron DaSilva /June 15, 2022
1655303677709.png

Andrew Whitworth retired from football earlier this offseason, calling it a career after 16 seasons in the NFL. It’s sad to see the Rams’ left tackle leave his perch as the blindside blocker, but he hasn’t gone very far since retiring.

Whitworth was in the Rams’ war room during the draft and he was on the field with Sean McVay during OTAs, staying close to the organization he spent the last five years with. He’s also remained good friends with some of their young offensive linemen, too.

Whitworth’s trainer, Ryan Sorensen, shared a video on Instagram of David Edwards and Joe Noteboom working out in Whitworth’s garage – aka, “The Dojo.”

Whitworth has been staying in great shape himself, raising questions about whether he might pull an Eric Weddle and return for the playoff run if the Rams come calling. It’s unlikely, especially considering the good hands their offensive line is in, even after Whitworth’s retirement.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Where is Bobby Evans?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was thinking that I wish Alaric Jackson was there.
I would think that both of these left-side starting Ol'ers are smart super-sized spooges hanging out with Andrew every minute they can.

I have always thought that Noteboom was highly intelligent this just affirms what I have felt for years. Andrew having started seasons @ both LG & LT is an enormous amount of knowledge. I know both JN & DE are non-vocal types / non-aggressive type players ...hoping they form a strong duo this season.

As far as young LT Alaric Jackson .....hopefully, he finds or gets a clue at some point. Alaric has a ton of challenging work to do on his body.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I would think that both of these left-side starting Ol'ers are smart super-sized spooges hanging out with Andrew every minute they can.

I have always thought that Noteboom was highly intelligent this just affirms what I have felt for years. Andrew having started seasons @ both LG & LT is an enormous amount of knowledge. I know both JN & DE are non-vocal types / non-aggressive type players ...hoping they form a strong duo this season.

As far as young LT Alaric Jackson .....hopefully, he finds or gets a clue at some point. Alaric has a ton of challenging work to do on his body.

Also heard that Pircher was a sponge in training camp last year, along with A-Jax. And then there's Anchrum, Shelton, Allen and - I guess - Evans to consider. And that's not even counting the rookies.

We have a lot of good young offensive linemen, and honestly, Carberry is the perfect coach for them. And then Whitworth still is around the team, which says a ton. I'm excited to see the competition.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Also heard that Pircher was a sponge in training camp last year, along with A-Jax. And then there's Anchrum, Shelton, Allen and - I guess - Evans to consider. And that's not even counting the rookies.

We have a lot of good young offensive linemen, and honestly, Carberry is the perfect coach for them. And then Whitworth still is around the team, which says a ton. I'm excited to see the competition.
Speaking of Tremayne Anchrum, with his short (squatty under 6-2 fame) but lengthy-long arms the LG position may be a better fit for his skills backpack than the RG.

Once rookie top selection RG Logan Bruss moves up into the master bedroom @ some point in the regular season pushing TA into the top reserve swing OG at some point, I will be looking for clues ongoing on @ LG with David Edwards. DE is & has been a very good pass-blocking LG but his run blocking is a weakness. DE will also be a UFA at the conclusion of this season. So the Rams are sure to be grooming the new starting LG this season. Both TA & CS will be under contract in 2023.

I need to remind myself that DE did have injury issues Ankle/Foot throughout the last two months of the 2021 season. So DE's performance was not close to his best. DE also had an injury to that same ankle going into the 2020 playoff game against the Packers, you could add a major shoulder issue his last season in college @ RT.

Summary: Going into this 2022 season OL coach Carberry is trending towards a better overall position @ OG than he was in last season. Having the Rams drafted top pick LB, also Snead drafted TA now entering his 3rd season, & DE who's been starter @ OG since his rookie season & now the newly contracted OC & swing OG Coleman Shelton all entrenched as the big interior OL quartet...... YES, I can also say I am enthusiastic about this upcoming OL interior competition too!

nighttrain

Legend
Speaking of Tremayne Anchrum, with his short (squatty under 6-2 fame) but lengthy-long arms the LG position may be a better fit for his skills backpack than the RG.

Once rookie top selection RG Logan Bruss moves up into the master bedroom @ some point in the regular season pushing TA into the top reserve swing OG at some point, I will be looking for clues ongoing on @ LG with David Edwards. DE is & has been a very good pass-blocking LG but his run blocking is a weakness. DE will also be a UFA at the conclusion of this season. So the Rams are sure to be grooming the new starting LG this season. Both TA & CS will be under contract in 2023.

I need to remind myself that DE did have injury issues Ankle/Foot throughout the last two months of the 2021 season. So DE's performance was not close to his best. DE also had an injury to that same ankle going into the 2020 playoff game against the Packers, you could add a major shoulder issue his last season in college @ RT.

Summary: Going into this 2022 season OL coach Carberry is trending towards a better overall position @ OG than he was in last season. Having the Rams drafted top pick LB, also Snead drafted TA now entering his 3rd season, & DE who's been starter @ OG since his rookie season & now the newly contracted OC & swing OG Coleman Shelton all entrenched as the big interior OL quartet...... YES, I can also say I am enthusiastic about this upcoming OL interior competition too!
Well said sir,
train