Andrew Whitworth Leaving Door Open For Rams Return, 'Never Say Never’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
If Noteboom and Aleric Jackson both fail to protect Stafford in 2022, I believe Big Whit will come back to help the Rams defend their Super Bowl title.

Rams-Bengals-Super-Bowl-Football-2.jpg

MaxQ28

Rookie

I have been watching football and rooting for the Rams since 1985. Andrew Whittworth is one of my all time favorite Rams players. I hope to see him in the booth at some point. He seems like a genuinely good person. When you see him on Mic’d up, players from the opposing teams seek him out after games and talk to him. I wish the NFL would have offered Big Whitt the opportunity they offered Brady. Whitt would be an awesome ambassador for the NFL. Thank you Whittworth for being one of the first and most important pieces of the puzzle in turning this franchise around and culminating in SBLVI victory!

HORNS UP!!

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We should believe that all time greats like the thought of missing TC and the summer grind to lace them up mid season. If the line struggles (which I hope they don’t) it would be great to see Whit lace them up again!

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Why not? If he stays in shape and doesn't have to play the regular season, he might be able to contribute if an injury occurs.

Wouldn't that be a great way to possibly get another ring?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I noticed Whit said "they" when referring to the Rams rather than "we."

And I assume it's harder for a big guy like Whit to jump back in, as opposed to Weddle? Don't o -linemen tend to lose a ton of weight when they retire?

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams just signed Noteboom to a 3-year deal. Get over it Whitworth's time is done. If the Rams bump Noteboom down again he's gone at the end of the contract. The Rams aren't going to lose a franchise talent like him for one more lame duck season from Whitworth. Noteboom has been solid in his play at LT whenever he's been called upon. Alaric Jackson is an up and coming talent. One more year of Carberry's coaching and he will be ready to play RT. Arcuri will be looked upon as being the swing OT for the next few years starting in 2023.

The real issue is at LG. Do they try to roll with Edwards who struggled at times, particularly in the run game? I'm not convinced they do. IMO he's gone next year. I think they see both Havenstein and Edwards as comp picks in 2024. So although I think they should replace him, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't as it could hurt his comp value. If so I hope he's on a short leash.

I think it's worth noting that they are no longer trying to convert OTs to OG. Bruss is the presumptive RG starter this year. They also signed developmental OG Jack Snyder who is the only OL among the UDFAs. All of Snyder's flaws look to be technique related, i.e. correctable with good coaching and practice. What I like is he has good footwork and is smooth in his lateral movements. He looks like a good fit for the scheme that the Rams use. I think he makes the 53 this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams just signed Noteboom to a 3-year deal. Get over it Whitworth's time is done. If the Rams bump Noteboom down again he's gone at the end of the contract. The Rams aren't going to lose a franchise talent like him for one more lame duck season from Whitworth. Noteboom has been solid in his play at LT whenever he's been called upon. Alaric Jackson is an up and coming talent. One more year of Carberry's coaching and he will be ready to play RT. Arcuri will be looked upon as being the swing OT for the next few years starting in 2023.

The real issue is at LG. Do they try to roll with Edwards who struggled at times, particularly in the run game? I'm not convinced they do. IMO he's gone next year. I think they see both Havenstein and Edwards as comp picks in 2024. So although I think they should replace him, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't as it could hurt his comp value. If so I hope he's on a short leash.

I think it's worth noting that they are no longer trying to convert OTs to OG. Bruss is the presumptive RG starter this year. They also signed developmental OG Jack Snyder who is the only OL among the UDFAs. All of Snyder's flaws look to be technique related, i.e. correctable with good coaching and practice. What I like is he has good footwork and is smooth in his lateral movements. He looks like a good fit for the scheme that the Rams use. I think he makes the 53 this year.

Yeah - you probably said Eric Weedle was done when he left San Diego as well.
John Sullivan got cut as a Ram.He never should’ve been,but mistakes are mistake’s.

Point being Mcvay & Whitworth are tight.They know the last & the difference of the now.

Mcvay knew he had Sullivan if he need him,so he thought.The Rams might not have traded for Austin Corbett? Then again who knows?Either way is if John Sullivan would have stayed ready he would have been a Rams center who might of had a chance to win it all in 2019.

Don’t get me wrong though.I agree with most of your assessment. Would suck if Big Whit cameback.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Whitworth is a nice insurance policy. Whit and Weddle on speed dial has a nice ring to it. But that's where it ends. If we are calling either of them we are in deep shit. On Edwards, they....Snead and McVay seem to speak highly of him. We'll see.

Psycho_X

Legend
I fully expect Noteboom to be a pro bowl level left tackle but he has landed on injured reserve multiple times in his short career so there is no reason not to extend the Weddle treatment to big Whit if needed. It was obvious Whit is staying involved being he was at the draft house and seemed to be actively involved in the process which was wonderful to see. I hope he stays on in an advisory and oline coach capacity and if the need arises he stays in shape to step in this year. I'm sure the oline is still working out in his garage during the offseason.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
John Sullivan got cut as a Ram.He never should’ve been,but mistakes are mistake’s.
FYI, Sully never played another down, or even put on another uniform after Rams declined the second year option on his contract. Clearly he was done....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
FYI, Sully never played another down, or even put on another uniform after Rams declined the second year option on his contract. Clearly he was done....

Well I won’t agree that he was done in the sense of Being able to play at a very competent NFL level.
When he first signed with The Rams it took awhile for it to be a fit.
I think as a person he was deeper than just a NFL player.
I will never forget what he meant & still means to The Rams offensive line.John Sullivan’s leadership is undeniable & it is what it is.
He decided to move on from the game,the difference is when a player losses the weight he did there is no way of packing it back on like he had for so many years.It shows what a commitment being an NFL player is at a cost of personal health.
Andrew Whitworth called out Mcvay for cutting John Sullivan & a mistake it was.He has always spoke his mind & will go down as one of The Best if not The Best Free Agents signing The Rams have ever had in there history.
The actually cost could have been the 2019 playoffs?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Rams aren't going to lose a franchise talent like him for one more lame duck season from Whitworth.
Or.... They could bring him back in if Note struggles or goes down. If Whit stays in playing shape - a big if for MOST players at his position - I could easily see him coming back, especially if we can get through the grind without him.

Note is signed for three years. If he goes back to a backup role, that probably tells us they are going to hunt for his replacement anyway and Whit could become the bridge.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I won’t agree that he was done in the sense of Being able to play at a very competent NFL level.
Ok, well that's that then. My daughter wont agree that Santa Claus isnt real, so I'll leave that to the both of ya's to work out. Lol
When the Rams made him a UFA, he could have landed elsewhere, but he didnt. If teams were knocking down his door to come play for them he would have.
Saffold was the loss there, he's the guy they chose to let go and then watched him play great elsewhere.
Sullivan's dad died of a heart attack, so as soon as he knew it was ballgame over, he dedicated himself to losing weight and getting in shape.
Alas, Whitworth is vowing to be ready if needed, and if in a pinch they have to go that route I know he'll be ready

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ok, well that's that then. My daughter wont agree that Santa Claus isnt real, so I'll leave that to the both of ya's to work out. Lol
When the Rams made him a UFA, he could have landed elsewhere, but he didnt. If teams were knocking down his door to come play for them he would have.
Saffold was the loss there, he's the guy they chose to let go and then watched him play great elsewhere.
Sullivan's dad died of a heart attack, so as soon as he knew it was ballgame over, he dedicated himself to losing weight and getting in shape.
Alas, Whitworth is vowing to be ready if needed, and if in a pinch they have to go that route I know he'll be ready

Agree - that’s fine with your believe in Sullivan that he wouldn’t have made a difference.Sad that his career ended with a BS play that imo would have changed the SuperBowl outcome.

Whitworth is a guy that prides himself on being an excellent athlete.He pushes his body & mind to be better.Like you said Sullivan did it in a different way,but Whitworth is at an elite level as a HOF LT.

It’s nice to know he still has that desire to play,but what Eric Weedle was able to do this last playoff season adds more of a foresite of what could happen.

I just saw a video of The Rams OTA’s that leads me to believe Andrew Whitworth’s #77 has already been given another player. My guess is he is passing it on to Joesph Noteboom who he has helped mentor the last for season.
If you were to ask Brian Allen what John Sullivan has meant to his pro career he’d say he is still carry that torch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree - that’s fine with your believe in Sullivan that he wouldn’t have made a difference.Sad that his career ended with a BS play that imo would have changed the SuperBowl outcome.

Whitworth is a guy that prides himself on being an excellent athlete.He pushes his body & mind to be better.Like you said Sullivan did it in a different way,but Whitworth is at an elite level as a HOF LT.

It’s nice to know he still has that desire to play,but what Eric Weedle was able to do this last playoff season adds more of a foresite of what could happen.

I just saw a video of The Rams OTA’s that leads me to believe Andrew Whitworth’s #77 has already been given another player. My guess is he is passing it on to Joesph Noteboom who he has helped mentor the last for season.
If you were to ask Brian Allen what John Sullivan has meant to his pro career he’d say he is still carry that torch.
Bruh....
Drop the strawman stuff. Being the Notre Dame homer that I am, Sullivan was always "one of my guys", so I am making no comments about his value to the team when he played. But he was done, which is why the Rams moved on and he didnt even attempt to play somewhere else.
Folks like to include him with Saffold, as guys they let "get away" when the reality is that it was time to move on.
Sully sure did, recently even talked about how McVay is the best coach he ever played for and how he still cheers for the Rams.
As for Whit, love the guy and his attitude. Will he ever suit up again? Hope not, because that means we were up Schitt's Creek

oldnotdead

Legend
A casual comment said in jest is being blown out of proportion. I've seen the video and he didn't sound serious. His tone was playful knowing that the idiot media would blow it out of proportion as it has.

Weddle has made it very clear that he's done. He's the HC at Rancho Bernardo HS now and he's not leaving that position. He made it very clear how difficult it was to get off the couch and come in not in NFL playing condition and why he got hurt early in the game.

In regards to Noteboom's injury one was from being fallen on. I don't see how that is meaningful in terms of him being injury-prone. He had a pec injury which is common for OL players. Nothing unusual or worrisome about it. Improved PT and pregame stretching will help prevent that. Joe has proved he's a good LT in every game he's started. I don't understand the angst many are expressing.

Joe has started 17 games, i.e. an entire season's worth of games. He's played in a total of 45 games. With the exception of the bonehead decision to play him out of position by Kromer, Noteboom has been solid as a starter. It was also, that decision that got Joe injured and IMO was one of the reasons that finally got Kromer kicked upstairs and Carberry hired. Noteboom is young and still professionally growing, but he's hardly inexperienced.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think Boom has proven that he can play. My only concern is that he's been injured off and on when he did get to play regularly. I hope and play that he stays healthy as we'll need him to make another run at a title.