Andrew Luck to IR, won’t play in 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'll go to the highest bidder that provides a big load of players and picks. IMO Luck hasn't lived up to the hype. He's good, but not excellent or elite. However someone will overpay because of the hype and potential, he's still young.

He'll make those teams better, but not good enough to catch the Rams.

I think it's way too early for that conclusion, and I disagree with it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think it's way too early for that conclusion, and I disagree with it.

He was being hailed as a first ballot hall of famer before he was drafted. He was, according to many media members and fans, supposed to be an all time great. A generational talent. Destined for greatness.

So far he's been pretty good. We have 70 regular season games and 6 post season games so it's not way to early. That's plenty of info to draw a conclusion and IMO he's good. Not great, and nowhere near the hype.

We know what a player is after 76 games.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/03/colts-still-owe-andrew-luck-30-million-guaranteed/

Colts still owe Andrew Luck $30 million guaranteed
Posted by Mike Florio on November 3, 2017

856453270-e1509719405529.jpg

Getty Images

When a high-profile player signs a big-money contract, the only money that truly matters is the money that’s fully guaranteed at the time the contract is signed. Agents, however, routinely blur the line between fully-guaranteed payments and sums guaranteed for injury only, because that results in a bigger number being recited by the information robots who will pass along whatever is provided to them without question, scrutiny, or critical analysis.

Rarely does the injury guarantee ever really matter, especially as it relates to franchise quarterbacks. Because franchise quarterbacks rarely have injuries that call their careers in to question.

For Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, the injury guarantees in his 2016 contract extension matter, since there’s currently no guarantee he’ll ever play again.

So far, Luck has received $57 million from the Colts under his second contract. Luck has another $30 million in payments guaranteed for injury — $18 million due in 2018 and another $12 million that becomes payable in March of 2019.

The Colts can avoid that obligation only by trading Luck. And while the shoulder injury would make that proposition less palatable for a prospective employer, a new team could get him for what amounts to a four-year, $82 million contract with $30 million guaranteed and no signing bonus.

Apart from the compensation the Colts would want for Luck, the financial side seems very reasonable in light of the current quarterback market. Of course, the Colts also would have to want to move on from Luck. Or, perhaps more accurately, Luck would have to want to move on from the Colts.

Most importantly, the team that acquires Luck would have to believe he’s healthy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was being hailed as a first ballot hall of famer before he was drafted. He was, according to many media members and fans, supposed to be an all time great. A generational talent. Destined for greatness.

So far he's been pretty good. We have 70 regular season games and 6 post season games so it's not way to early. That's plenty of info to draw a conclusion and IMO he's good. Not great, and nowhere near the hype.

Prior to this season, I argue he had been great.
Since taking over a 1-15 team he lead them to a 3 consecutive 11-5 seasons
The Colts are an awful team without him, the defense and o-line has been average to lousy.
And yet since the jump he's a 4k and 30td passer

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The QB availability this offseason is going to radically change the NFL landscape.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
There is a show on Saturday...with Robert Klapper....he talks about "weekend warriors"...guys that still participate in sports and get some injuries. He's an orthopedic surgeon. He always talks about NOT getting cortisone shots in joints...Like the one Luck got in his shoulder. He talks about all types of problems going forward from them...I can agree...I got a shot in my ankle...like 30 years ago....and it still acts up. I hope they didn't fuck off his career to see if he could get on the field in 2017.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Colts will keep Luck and soon you will hear the Jim Harbaugh & David Shaw rumors to Indianapolis.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Harbaugh is done at Michigan.
He'll be the coach of the Colts next year

It's a nice thought and I'm hoping Ohio State thrashes him, but I don't think he leaves until he goes to one college playoff.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Prior to this season, I argue he had been great.
Since taking over a 1-15 team he lead them to a 3 consecutive 11-5 seasons
The Colts are an awful team without him, the defense and o-line has been average to lousy.
And yet since the jump he's a 4k and 30td passer

But it took well over 600 attempts each time. And he's been inconsistent too.

I think he's good, but not near the expectations.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a nice thought and I'm hoping Ohio State thrashes him, but I don't think he leaves until he goes to one college playoff.
I think its becoming evident that he may not get to one.
His 3rd season now, playing with predominantly his recruits and he will likely lose 3 games for the 3rd straight year. And realistically, will lose a lot more than that.
IMO If the NFL comes calling, he'll listen....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He's more than pretty good. He's one of the few QBs in the NFL who can elevate a team. He's managed to keep the Colts winning while surrounded by crap (except for Hilton).

He's great. He's better than Cousins, whom you argue is a top QB.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's more than pretty good. He's one of the few QBs in the NFL who can elevate a team. He's managed to keep the Colts winning while surrounded by crap (except for Hilton).

He's great. He's better than Cousins, whom you argue is a top QB.

His accomplishments aren't on par

He's good, no more than that.

He is not "great" as you say, far from it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His accomplishments aren't on par

He's good, no more than that.

He is not "great" as you say, far from it.

Luck has a 4700+ yard 40 TD season under his belt. He has another 4000+ yard 30+ TD season under his belt. He's taken his team to the playoffs three times. He's taken his team as far as the AFC Championship Game. This is despite being surrounded by a bad roster, a bad GM, and a mediocre at best coach who is always on the hot-seat.

Kirk can't say any of those things.

Luck is absolutely great. I hope he comes back from his shoulder injury because the NFL is better with him in it. If that guy gets a quality coach and a quality roster, he'll do big things. He's one of the few QBs in the NFL who can elevate the talent around him. Kirk Cousins isn't in that group.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Luck has a 4700+ yard 40 TD season under his belt. He has another 4000+ yard 30+ TD season under his belt. He's taken his team to the playoffs three times. He's taken his team as far as the AFC Championship Game. This is despite being surrounded by a bad roster, a bad GM, and a mediocre at best coach who is always on the hot-seat.

Kirk can't say any of those things.

Luck is absolutely great. I hope he comes back from his shoulder injury because the NFL is better with him in it. If that guy gets a quality coach and a quality roster, he'll do big things. He's one of the few QBs in the NFL who can elevate the talent around him. Kirk Cousins isn't in that group.

Go take a nap dude. WASH has one of the worst front offices and one of the worst owners and is one of the shittiest franchises in the league, and you know that.

Cousins has done essentially the same thing, in essentially the same teakettle.

And has a 4900 yard season by the way, and in EVERY measurable he is outperforming Luck.

I'll bet you anything that in three years Luck is a journeyman or a backup or out of the NFL.

Luck is absolutely NOT great.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Go take a nap dude. WASH has one of the worst front offices and one of the worst owners and is one of the shittiest franchises in the league, and you know that.

Yet, they're still better than the Colts. Ryan Grigson was the worst GM in football.

Cousins has done essentially the same thing, in essentially the same teakettle.

And has a 4900 yard season by the way, and in EVERY measurable he is outperforming Luck.

Cousins hasn't essentially done the same thing. He has 0 40+ TD seasons. He has 1 playoff appearance (a loss). He's never led his team to a 10-win season.

Yeah, Cousins has better stats, but he plays in a better situation. He had Sean McVay as his OC, a good OL, and a great group of WRs. This year, his supporting cast isn't quite as strong, but he still has a solid group.

The kid puts up numbers, but the Redskins aren't winning. I don't like putting wins and losses on QBs, but that's something you can't ignore about Luck. Love him or hate him, the guy makes plays at big moments and leads his team to wins. That's something Kirk Cousins is not known for doing. The big criticism on him is that he doesn't step up in big moments.

I'll bet you anything that in three years Luck is a journeyman or a backup or out of the NFL.

If Luck's shoulder doesn't end his career, you're absolutely high if you believe that.

Luck is absolutely NOT great.

If Luck isn't great, Kirk Cousins certainly isn't great.

I pray that Indy gets themselves a good coach. Luck will be a special player with some talent around him and a good coach. And you're going to have coaches falling all over themselves to take that job if they believe Luck will be back.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yet, they're still better than the Colts. Ryan Grigson was the worst GM in football.

Cousins hasn't essentially done the same thing. He has 0 40+ TD seasons. He has 1 playoff appearance (a loss). He's never led his team to a 10-win season.

Yeah, Cousins has better stats, but he plays in a better situation. He had Sean McVay as his OC, a good OL, and a great group of WRs. This year, his supporting cast isn't quite as strong, but he still has a solid group.

The kid puts up numbers, but the Redskins aren't winning. I don't like putting wins and losses on QBs, but that's something you can't ignore about Luck. Love him or hate him, the guy makes plays at big moments and leads his team to wins. That's something Kirk Cousins is not known for doing. The big criticism on him is that he doesn't step up in big moments.

If Luck's shoulder doesn't end his career, you're absolutely high if you believe that.

If Luck isn't great, Kirk Cousins certainly isn't great.

I pray that Indy gets themselves a good coach. Luck will be a special player with some talent around him and a good coach. And you're going to have coaches falling all over themselves to take that job if they believe Luck will be back.

Go look at the game logs, Cousins is a better passer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-nfl-football-wont-reveal-recovery-timetable/

Andrew Luck still hasn't thrown an NFL football, won't reveal recovery timetable

One of the most important parts of being an NFL quarterback is being able to throw a regulation-sized football, and right now, Andrew Luck still isn't able to do that.

Although Luck has been throwing smaller footballs during his rehabilitation, the Colts quarterback revealed on Monday that he still hasn't thrown an actual NFL football. The last time Luck threw a football came in October, but the Colts ended up shutting him down for the season after he suffered a setback.

"There's a process," Luck said Monday, via ESPN.com. "I've gone and skipped steps before and paid for it. Been in pain and not able to help the team. Embarrassed, guilty, whatever. I'm not going to do that again. I trust the people I'm working with. More importantly, I trust myself in this process. I trust how I feel. Progress is my guiding light. If I'm making progress, I know that's important. There is a plan in place and I'll keep trusting it."

Although Luck is hoping to be ready for training camp, he wouldn't reveal when he might be ready to throw an NFL football.

"When the time is right, I'll pick it up," Luck said, via NFL.com.

Luck has been throwing smaller footballs to work on his throwing motion.

"I wouldn't say (I'm) changing my throwing motion," Luck said, via ESPN. "There are things in my throwing motion that I can do better from the ground up and that's a big part of what I've been working on, making sure I'm using my body as effectively as possible to throw a football and not over or under compensate in any way."

During the interview on Monday, which was his first one in nearly six weeks, Luck admitted that he's not "a perfect-feeling athlete right now."

If you're a Colts fan and that makes you nervous, it probably should. Luck's health has basically been a giant mystery since he underwent surgery in January 2017, and updates from the Colts have been all over the place.

Back in June, Jim Irsay said that Luck's recovery was going "tremendously." Two months later, the Colts owner said that Luck would likely only miss one or two games. That prediction turned out to be slightly off because, instead of one or two games, Luck ended up missing the entire season.

Since then, everyone in the Colts organization has been pretty shy about offering any sort of recovery timeline and Luck stuck to the company line during his Monday interview. The 28-year-old said that although there's a timetable for his recovery, he wasn't going to reveal it.

"There is a timetable but I'm not going to share it with you guys," Luck said, via NFL.com. "I've very, very confident and very, very optimistic I'm going to be absolutely fine and come back better than I was. I'll be a better quarterback, a better teammate, a better person and I'm very confident."

The Colts quarterback hasn't played in a game since December 2016, and if he somehow does return to the field in time for Indy's 2018 opener, that will come a full 20 months after he originally underwent shoulder surgery. The good news for Luck is that plenty of quarterbacks -- including Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Joe Montana -- have come back to play at a high level after missing an entire season due to injury.