An early 2021 Draft “Watch List”: 5 players I like

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
With the abbreviated college season, and the Rams not selecting until Round 2 once again, its tough to zero in on prospects at this point. That said, here are 5 I like who I believe would be good fits and could potentially last to the second round and beyond:

Asante Samuel, Jr., CB, FSU
With Troy Hill set to be a UFA, and Darious Williams an RFA, I think the Rams may consider looking at CBs early. I like Samuel, a feisty CB who isn’t afraid to mix it up and help in run defense. I’m sure Jalen Ramsey would welcome a fellow Seminole to the mix!

Patrick Jones, EDGE, Pittsburgh
While the Rams’ pass rush has been productive, there are a lot question marks with Leonard Floyd playing on a one year deal, Samson Ebukam heading into free agency, and Terrell Lewis and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo fighting to stay healthy. Jones has great size (6’5, 260) and productivity (17.5 sacks in 21 games over last two years). Just as Ramsey would welcome a Nole, Donald would probably like playing with this fellow Panther!

Jevon Holland, S, Oregon
The Rams seem favor safeties with varied skill sets, and that is Holland’s forte. He can swing between SS and FS, and also play in the slot. This is another prospect I’m watching out of potential necessity, as John Johnson (who Holland reminds me of, a bit) could depart in free agency.

Tutu Atwell, WR, Louisville
If Josh Reynolds moves on, Van Jefferson moves up the ladder, and an opening is created at the No. 4 WR spot. I’d like to get someone with the kind of speed that really could scare opposing defenses. Atwell fits that bill. He’s small, and maybe not an every down player, but that’s okay. I’m thinking mid-rounds.

Josh Myers, C, Ohio State
Austin Blythe is a solid player, but Myers could be a nice addition to the inside OL and, possibly, a long-term option at center. I’m a fan of Big 10 OL, and Myers has the strength to hold up at the point of attack, and the technique and athleticism to move.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We don't have a snowball's chance in hell to get Myers; he's arguably a first round pick. I'd love to have him, but I doubt that.

I don't want a smallish receiver to replace Reynolds; we're already lacking height when Reynolds leaves.

And inside linebacker is arguably even more of a need than safety, wide receiver, and cornerback.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We don't have a snowball's chance in hell to get Myers; he's arguably a first round pick. I'd love to have him, but I doubt that.
At this moment, you’re correct about his likely slotting, but things can change. Plus, top centers often last until Day 2.

I don't want a smallish receiver to replace Reynolds; we're already lacking height when Reynolds leaves.
I’m more concerned about our lack of a guy with great speed.

And inside linebacker is arguably even more of a need than safety, wide receiver, and cornerback.
That’s a role that can be filled in the middle rounds.

Memento

Name
Jemma
At this moment, you’re correct about his likely slotting, but things can change. Plus, top centers often last until Day 2.

I get that, but Myers has very few weaknesses. In my opinion, he's not lasting to our pick.

AvengerRam said:
I’m more concerned about our lack of a guy with great speed.

There's bigger wideouts who have speed to burn: Mike Strachan (Charleston), Osirus Mitchell (Mississippi State) Tamorrion Terry (Florida State), etc. All of them could be available late.

AvengerRam said:
That’s a role that can be filled in the middle rounds.

Sure, it can be filled in the middle rounds, but the elite ones that aren't Parsons or Moses fit in the second day. That's what I'd go for: a truly elite game-changing middle linebacker in that area.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the record, Jones is my favorite guy on my list.

More to come after the Senior Bowl (assuming there is one).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll throw out a few. I haven't gone into scout mode yet, but here are a few guys who caught my eye (none are projected first rounders):
1. Tamorrion Terry WR Florida State - This scheme works a lot better with deep threat. Had Terry come out last year, I think he's in the running to be a first round pick. After a bad year with FSU and some apparent locker room issues on a dumpster fire of a team, Terry's stock has taken a hit. He has had some drop issues during his career, but he's a 6'4" WR who can run after the catch and get vertical against even the fastest CBs. This is the sort of kid who ends up being a steal down the road. He gave C.J. Henderson the business last year.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8KEmrW6Nc

2. Nick Bolton ILB Missouri or Jabril Cox ILB LSU - These two guys offer very different skill-sets. Cox is a rangy, athletic LB who can cover at a high level. Bolton has some limitations in coverage, but he's an absolute hammer in the running game with outstanding instincts. Cox seems like a Fred Warner/Cory Middleton type to me. I would compare Bolton to a Paul Posluszny/Danny Trevathan type.

3. Azeez Ojulari OLB Georgia - Super explosive off the edge with the ability to bend and corner. Has to work on setting the edge, but he is a potential impact pass rusher who might be available in Round 2.

4. Brett Heggie C Florida - He has had some injury issues over the years, but he's a very overlooked prospect. Could fall deep into Day 3. Has performed quite well at Center for UF this year. Prior to that, he was an OG. Has the power to get movement in the running game and solid overall feet.

5. Marco Wilson CB Florida - Wilson is an interesting one because he hasn't performed well this year, but I think it's because Todd Grantham has a horrible scheme that misuses CBs. Wilson's lack of performance should leave him available deeper in the draft. He has the talent to be a lot more than what he was under Grantham (arguably outplayed C.J. Henderson when both were freshmen). I think he's a guy our DC and CB Coach can develop.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Love Jaycee horn from this draft.

Horn's a top fifteen pick, in my opinion. Love the kid, but we're not getting him.

I'll throw out a few. I haven't gone into scout mode yet, but here are a few guys who caught my eye (none are projected first rounders):
1. Tamorrion Terry WR Florida State - This scheme works a lot better with deep threat. Had Terry come out last year, I think he's in the running to be a first round pick. After a bad year with FSU and some apparent locker room issues on a dumpster fire of a team, Terry's stock has taken a hit. He has had some drop issues during his career, but he's a 6'4" WR who can run after the catch and get vertical against even the fastest CBs. This is the sort of kid who ends up being a steal down the road. He gave C.J. Henderson the business last year.

2. Nick Bolton ILB Missouri

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

2. Nick Bolton ILB Missouri or Jabril Cox ILB LSU - These two guys offer very different skill-sets. Cox is a rangy, athletic LB who can cover at a high level. Bolton has some limitations in coverage, but he's an absolute hammer in the running game with outstanding instincts. Cox seems like a Fred Warner/Cory Middleton type to me. I would compare Bolton to a Paul Posluszny/Danny Trevathan type.

3. Azeez Ojulari OLB Georgia - Super explosive off the edge with the ability to bend and corner. Has to work on setting the edge, but he is a potential impact pass rusher who might be available in Round 2.

4. Brett Heggie C Florida - He has had some injury issues over the years, but he's a very overlooked prospect. Could fall deep into Day 3. Has performed quite well at Center for UF this year. Prior to that, he was an OG. Has the power to get movement in the running game and solid overall feet.

5. Marco Wilson CB Florida - Wilson is an interesting one because he hasn't performed well this year, but I think it's because Todd Grantham has a horrible scheme that misuses CBs. Wilson's lack of performance should leave him available deeper in the draft. He has the talent to be a lot more than what he was under Grantham (arguably outplayed C.J. Henderson when both were freshmen). I think he's a guy our DC and CB Coach can develop.

I've watched a few highlight reels for ILBs who should be drafted this year and the ONE thing that concerns me is their head positioning.

Too many big plays in college are spearing, targeting or unnecessary roughness penalties in the NFL. The key to doing the in depth analysis will be to determine if they can be as effective without lowering the crown on their helmets.

That out of the way... Terry looks amazing for what we need.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone

Nice Post, Me Likes.

Only thing, don't think we need a Center that bad, but Hell if you guys are posting draft 1.

I could very well be wrong.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice Post, Me Likes.

Only thing, don't think we need a Center that bad, but Hell if you guys are posting draft 1.

I could very well be wrong.

Blythe is a FA. It depends on if he returns or not.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont know who's rated high or not, but Notre Dame's LB Owusu-Koramoah is a stud and would look great in Horns. Elite tackler

nighttrain

Legend
I want Scary Terry on the Rams, this guy is just what is needed to open up underneath for Kupp and Woods. Go get him Snead.

he will bring the long ball back to the Rams passing game!

train

Tano

Legend
Even picking at 64?

I know I know - I am going to the well too often with that quote :)

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
You can never have enough CBs or OL, but I'd avoid that with our top pick unless one is clearly the best player available. The front office seems capable of finding players at these positions every draft from round 3 onward, or by picking the scrap heap via free agency or trade.

Give me LB or DL.

A deep threat or huge target at WR could also work. But we spent a 2nd rounder on Jefferson last year and now have Kupp and Woods locked up long term. Not sure spending our top pick on WR makes sense, barring exceptional circumstances of a rare talent somehow falling to us. I'm also not convinced none of Woods/Kupp/Jefferson can be used deep - dunnno why we don't try it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
You can never have enough CBs or OL, but I'd avoid that with our top pick unless one is clearly the best player available. The front office seems capable of finding players at these positions every draft from round 3 onward, or by picking the scrap heap via free agency or trade.

Give me LB or DL.

A deep threat or huge target at WR could also work. But we spent a 2nd rounder on Jefferson last year and now have Kupp and Woods locked up long term. Not sure spending our top pick on WR makes sense, barring exceptional circumstances of a rare talent somehow falling to us. I'm also not convinced none of Woods/Kupp/Jefferson can be used deep - dunnno why we don't try it.

Unfortunately, 3-4 defensive linemen are the weakest class in this draft. I honestly think that there's only one first round pick (Tufele out of South California.)

Linebacker is a stronger class, by comparison. Lots of good inside linebackers, even more good edge rushers, and a lot of them will be available in the second/third rounds.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Well we’re picking 32nd so
Ah I thinks that 1st round pick went to the Jags...Lol

Now just maybe, I mean maybe we'll have a 1st rounder in 2022,maybe.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dillon Radunz and Jackson Carman in the 2nd.
If either one of those LT's is close to our 2nd round selection we better trade up.

At this time in space Rams have no clear idea if Andrew Whitworth will fully recover to being close to what he was before now @ 39 yrs old. Plus there no way to know if Joe Note boom can ever be a complete OLT in the NFL.

Right now JN is holding his own in the pass blocking game but his running blocking is hurting this offense's run game. Hopefully, by the end of the season, JN will have finally developed well enough to run block & hit & stick to his assignment in run blocking. Right now he mostly misses.

Kromer's up to this point have never run out Bobby Evans or Tremayne Anchrum to play LT yet. Both Evans & Anchrum would be very big surprises if they were NFL LT capable. Evans appears to be best as a starting RT or RG or a game day Swing OT reserve. Having not seen Anchrum play yet I just have no idea how you could play a 6-1 7/8 inch tall OL'er @ LT in the NFL.