All of Bradford's throws against Denver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
V3 not seeing it like me:
Here's what I saw on the misses:

1.) Sorry, I don't agree that Pettis slowed down. He was trying to find the ball in the air. You have to see it before you can catch it.

Trying to find the ball in the air is what I meant by tracking. As soon as he starts looking he slows down. That's what we're seeing. I think you have to keep up your speed when you turn your head back to look. Or at least more of it than he did. He wasn't smooth at all. IMO.

Have you tried running full speed while turning your head. You slow down. You can't keep your speed up when you're turned around. I've tried and I'm the greatest runner of all time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
V3 said:
albefree69 said:
V3 not seeing it like me:

1.) Sorry, I don't agree that Pettis slowed down. He was trying to find the ball in the air. You have to see it before you can catch it.

Trying to find the ball in the air is what I meant by tracking. As soon as he starts looking he slows down. That's what we're seeing. I think you have to keep up your speed when you turn your head back to look. Or at least more of it than he did. He wasn't smooth at all. IMO.

Have you tried running full speed while turning your head. You slow down. You can't keep your speed up when you're turned around. I've tried and I'm the greatest runner of all time.
I'll race you. $5.00.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
V3 questioning my ability to keep it up:

Go back and look at one of X's high light videos and watch how Givens does it when he catches a long one that isn't under thrown. There's slowing down a little and then there's stopping to scratch your butt. :lol:

V3

Hall of Fame
X said:
V3 said:

1.) Sorry, I don't agree that Pettis slowed down. He was trying to find the ball in the air. You have to see it before you can catch it. That was purely Bradford overthrowing Pettis.

2.) There was some holding there but I think I saw others that were open. I don't think Bradford even bothered to look.

3.) Looked like there was a guy open at the top of the screen.

4.) There was some pressure from Miller (Saffold) but Bradford picked the wrong guy again, IMO. Austin was wide open in the middle- well short, granted, but he had open field to see if he could get to the 1st down. It also looked like there were open guys at the top again.

5.) Couldn't really see enough to make a call but Pettis was covered.

6.) Couldn't see the guy at the bottom but everyone else was covered.

Overall, I thought Bradford did okay but I still think there's plenty of room for improvement in terms of going through his progressions. It seems like he doesn't look at everyone. I don't know if the play is designed to go to a specific WR or if he's just not looking? Pass-pro was better than my first impression though. I'm not thrilled with Pettis at all. He just doesn't offer much unless it's in the red zone. Whatever is keeping Quick off the field is obviously big enough to the point that he's barely seeing any playing time- and that's only with the backups. They obviously don't trust him enough to use him in a game. That's a B-I-G red flag to me. It's his second year and he was taken at the top of the 2nd round. He should be seeing the field by now.
That's fair, but the world is going to be split on #1. :lol:

I'm not making excuses for him, but there are two things I think we have to take into account here. One, it's preseason, and very little scheming is going on to create and take advantage of isolation matchups. So, maybe he's supposed to get certain people involved and others not so much. Pure speculation though on my part. And two, there are now 3 new receivers on the team with which he has very little chemistry. I think as he develops trust with the new guys, he'll start to look their way and be more attune to where they're going to be on the field (or supposed to be) on any given play. HE knows the playbook now, but these other guys don't. Once that trust is established, I think we'll see him expanding his vision. Right now he's probably going to look for Givens first and Cook second. Maybe Kendricks too when he comes back.

The *problem* (I guess) is that we're used to seeing guys with tenure (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning) get tons of guys involved, but they've been doing the same thing in the same systems for years and years and years. Even Manning, who took his system to Denver with him.

Yes, Bradford does need to work on some stuff because he's far from a finished product. But he's now finally in a situation where the talent around him is commensurate with his own talents. Now it's just going to take a little bit of time for everyone to be on the exact same page. I can't wait until that happens. It's gonna be lights out.

I get that Bradford is still a work in progress. I'm just stating what I saw. There are things we don't know about the play so it's hard to say anything for certain. I'm really not worried about Bradford. I just want to see him progress in certain areas and going through his reads has been one of his weakest attributes, IMO. I'm more worried about Pead and Quick but that's a discussion for another thread.

V3

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
V3 questioning my ability to keep it up:

Go back and look at one of X's high light videos and watch how Givens does it when he catches a long one that isn't under thrown. There's slowing down a little and then there's stopping to scratch your butt. :lol:

If you want to blame Pettis, that's fine with me. I'm not a fan of his. If it was a different receiver, he probably would have been able to get there.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I thought the pass pro was on par w/ the rest of the league in that vid.

ALso....I fuckin hope the refs actually get some defenders for roughing the QB. He was drivin to the fuckin ground...no flag. Bullshit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
V3 said:

1.) Sorry, I don't agree that Pettis slowed down. He was trying to find the ball in the air. You have to see it before you can catch it. That was purely Bradford overthrowing Pettis.

Are we talking about the double move? If so, both were at fault but Pettis shouldn't have turned his body and slowed down. He should have tracked it over the shoulder. It allowed the CB to recover and get back over the top when Pettis had him beat.

2.) There was some holding there but I think I saw others that were open. I don't think Bradford even bothered to look.

No reason to. Read it right. Pettis isolated against a safety with no help down the seam. Toss it to the back of the end-zone and let Pettis run it down. Pettis was grabbed because the safety knew he was beat.

Overall, I thought Bradford did okay but I still think there's plenty of room for improvement in terms of going through his progressions. It seems like he doesn't look at everyone.
That's simply not possible on the vast vast majority of the plays.

Typically, you want to read the defense pre-snap and have it in your head who the 2 best targets are. Post-snap read should confirm that notion or force you to go to Plan B. If neither are open, check down.

You have 3 to 4 seconds to throw. You don't have time to look at every WR to see if he'll open up...nor are most routes going to take that long to develop. You're usually going to have time to go through 2 or 3 progressions then check-down.

And you gotta keep in mind that route timing is important. Which is one limitation. If your 5th progression is running a 7 yard curl in...by the time you get to him, it's likely going to be too late to make that throw unless he's in a hole in the zone.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 said:
V3 said:

Are we talking about the double move? If so, both were at fault but Pettis shouldn't have turned his body and slowed down. He should have tracked it over the shoulder. It allowed the CB to recover and get back over the top when Pettis had him beat.

No reason to. Read it right. Pettis isolated against a safety with no help down the seam. Toss it to the back of the end-zone and let Pettis run it down. Pettis was grabbed because the safety knew he was beat.

Overall, I thought Bradford did okay but I still think there's plenty of room for improvement in terms of going through his progressions. It seems like he doesn't look at everyone.
That's simply not possible on the vast vast majority of the plays.

Typically, you want to read the defense pre-snap and have it in your head who the 2 best targets are. Post-snap read should confirm that notion or force you to go to Plan B. If neither are open, check down.

You have 3 to 4 seconds to throw. You don't have time to look at every WR to see if he'll open up...nor are most routes going to take that long to develop. You're usually going to have time to go through 2 or 3 progressions then check-down.

And you gotta keep in mind that route timing is important. Which is one limitation. If your 5th progression is running a 7 yard curl in...by the time you get to him, it's likely going to be too late to make that throw unless he's in a hole in the zone.
Yup. And all of that changes depending on the drop. 3-5 step drops are way different (as it pertains to reads) than a 7 step drop obviously.

sent via Tapatalk.

MauiBoi808

UDFA
Name
Kainoa
I Wish Bradford Would Look To His Flats And Dumpoffs More...And It Take Way More Pressure Off The O-Line.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
X said:
jrry32 said:
Lesson said:
jrry32 said:
Pettis is kind of reminding me of Gibson...TC hero but it doesn't translate. I agree that I want to see Stedman or Quick get some more time with the 1s.

I understand what you're getting at, but I'll have to disagree.

Pettis was ridiculed his rookie year for struggling during TC. I don't remember Gibson getting so much criticism like Pettis at all during any of his TC with the Rams.

Pettis is a few inches taller than Gibson and, IMO, makes catches on a more consistent basis than Gibson.

I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about presently and I'm not comparing them as players. Only comparing situations. Gibson got hype in TC then never was any different come regular season. I have a feeling Pettis will be the same way. Good 4th WR on the inside but just doesn't seem to get the consistent separation to be a factor outside.
Who do you think is the better receiver between Gibson and Pettis? Speaking purely of intangibles because Pettis doesn't have a huge body of work at the moment of course.

sent via Tapatalk.
Funny,i was going to post my opinion of the very question you asked.
I'd take Gibson over Pettis everyday...as a depth WR of course. Neither one is starting caliber.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Thanks for the post, X. Sure wish Quick would have been in it! Maybe they're keeping him secret!

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I am just not sold on Pettis. Take his first target for example. He runs to the post and then cuts to the front pylon, he created separation for the defensive back. Sam makes a great throw to the outside shoulder and way from the defender (Just as he has been taught) For some reason though Pettis turns inside, towards the defender and makes the catch way harder for himself and then can't adjust to the pass.....this is basic football fundamentals....look for the ball to be placed away from the defender...if he had...it woulda been 7

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Dr.RamsFanCK noticing fundamental flaws:
I am just not sold on Pettis. Take his first target for example. He runs to the post and then cuts to the front pylon, he created separation for the defensive back. Sam makes a great throw to the outside shoulder and way from the defender (Just as he has been taught) For some reason though Pettis turns inside, towards the defender and makes the catch way harder for himself and then can't adjust to the pass.....this is basic football fundamentals....look for the ball to be placed away from the defender...if he had...it woulda been 7

Excellent point CK.

I hated the pick when he was drafted but he's grown on me since then and I still think that in the right situations he can be effective. Just not as our regular WR opposite Givens.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
albefree69 said:
Dr.RamsFanCK noticing fundamental flaws:

Excellent point CK.

I hated the pick when he was drafted but he's grown on me since then and I still think that in the right situations he can be effective. Just not as our regular WR opposite Givens.

I completely agree! He has proven he can be a viable redzone threat....but he is not a WIDEreciver, he is a SLOT receiver....and he also proved that when he was the best replacement for Amendola last year...too me he lacks the speed and ability to seperate out wide...his burst and double moves make him dangerous inside. But Tavon kinda ended that lol

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Anybody else notice on the first play, Pettis was wide open at the inside edge of the endzone Woulda actually been easier to zip a 8 yarder to him than the pass over the defenders to Cook. We got a TD and thats what i care about most, but was just an observations i hadnt seen discussed. Bradford was locked on Cook from the start and Cook drew two DB's with him. Tavon Austin also drew away a DB and drew a LB to him leaving Pettis with a nice "bubble" of free space in the end zone.

Seems Bradford was going to go to Cook no matter what on that play, but it seems like the shorter pass to a wide open Pettis who was in the same path woulda been easier and safer.

Just makin convo here. Love what Cook brings to the table and was still a great pass and catch.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Tron said:
Anybody else notice on the first play, Pettis was wide open at the inside edge of the endzone Woulda actually been easier to zip a 8 yarder to him than the pass over the defenders to Cook. We got a TD and thats what i care about most, but was just an observations i hadnt seen discussed. Bradford was locked on Cook from the start and Cook drew two DB's with him. Tavon Austin also drew away a DB and drew a LB to him leaving Pettis with a nice "bubble" of free space in the end zone.

Seems Bradford was going to go to Cook no matter what on that play, but it seems like the shorter pass to a wide open Pettis who was in the same path woulda been easier and safer.

Just makin convo here. Love what Cook brings to the table and was still a great pass and catch.

Sam has done that a few times...his biggest weakness in my eyes...there is like a 3rd and 7 where he hits Givens over the middle for a nice gain and a 1st...however Harley was running a little flat dump to the other side of the field and the LB did not react....that woulda been an EASY first down instead of an iffy one...but I am happy with the play however lol

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Hopefully next week we'll get to see Bailey and Quick in there with the 1s. No need to even play Givens.

Thanks for the video X.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
iBruce said:
Hopefully next week we'll get to see Bailey and Quick in there with the 1s. No need to even play Givens.

Thanks for the video X.

I agree, time to see if Quicke has hands with the ones and not just the twos....just for the hell of it at leat.