Adrian Peterson arrested

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
How can you be arrested just for resisting arrest? The mind boggles...

"Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was arrested early Saturday at a Houston nightclub on a charge of resisting arrest, a spokesperson at the Houston Police Department told NFL.com and NFL Network."

Here's the rest of the story, but still seem suspect to me, as how is pushing an off-duty officer (how did Adrian even know he was an officer) "resisting arrest"?

As the off-duty officer cycled through the bar at closing time, he asked Peterson and his group of friends to leave, according to Smith. When the officer returned, Peterson told him "I heard you the first time," and pushed the officer in the shoulder, causing him to stumble.

The officer asked the Vikings running back to turn and place his hands behind his back. Peterson refused, according to Smith.

As the officer attempted to place Peterson in handcuffs, the running back pulled away, began shouting and assumed an aggressive stance. A second off-duty officer approached, according to Smith, but Peterson continued to resist arrest. When a third off-duty officer arrived, Peterson was handcuffed and taken to jail. At the station, Peterson complained of shortness of breath, but Smith said he checked out OK.

Peterson was not subject to a toxicology examination and officers didn't note if he appeared drunk or impaired, Smith said.

Live! at Bayou Place general manager Daniel Maher told a different story to TMZ.com. Maher said Peterson appeared heavily intoxicated at the time of the arrest, which he said was out of character for the player, who had been to the club before.

Maher characterized Peterson as a "difficult customer all night" who was "throwing his ego around and making people mad" until he was shuttled off to the VIP area.

At closing time, according to Maher, Peterson rushed to the bar to order a final drink. When Peterson was denied, Maher said he "tried to intimidate the bartender" into selling him one. Maher attempted to intervene, but was unsuccessful. That's when the off-duty officer stepped in.

When Peterson assumed a fighting position, he looked "like he meant business," Maher said. "He looked really scary and I thought he was gonna attack the cops." [but these were off-duty cops working as bouncers?]

A source with knowledge of the situation told ProFootballTalk.com the incident was captured on one or more surveillance cameras inside the club.

Peterson is slated to appear before a judge in Harris County on Friday, July 13.

"We are aware of the situation," the Vikings said in a statement. "We will withhold further comment until more information is known."

Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder was shocked when he heard of Peterson's arrest, according to Dan Wiederer of The Star Tribune.

"He's one of our biggest leaders," Ponder said. "Adrian is a great guy. Maybe it was one bad decision he made. Who knows? He won't be a distraction at all."

Peterson, 27, has spent this offseason working his way back from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered on Dec. 24. The sixth-year pro has spoken repeatedly of a Week 1 return to the field.

In five seasons, Peterson has totaled 6,752 yards and 64 touchdowns on the ground for the Vikings, who signed him to a seven-year, $96 million deal in 2011.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... in-houston

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
[nfl]09000d5d82a63e59[/nfl]

bluecoconuts

Legend
Off duty cops still have the power to arrest. Not only that, they have an obligation to do so. Similar to a doctor not having to be on the clock to save a life. If they see someone who needs help, they have a duty to try to help, no matter where they are.

Off duty cops still carry a badge and gun, they just don't have to be in a certain area nor are they being paid.

Resisting arrest is what happens when you put up a struggle and then more officers are needed to help, or the guy eventually gives up and stops struggling.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
bluecoconuts said:
Off duty cops still have the power to arrest. Not only that, they have an obligation to do so. Similar to a doctor not having to be on the clock to save a life. If they see someone who needs help, they have a duty to try to help, no matter where they are.

Off duty cops still carry a badge and gun, they just don't have to be in a certain area nor are they being paid.

Resisting arrest is what happens when you put up a struggle and then more officers are needed to help, or the guy eventually gives up and stops struggling.
Did Adrian know that these were cops when he disobeyed their orders? If he did not, then how can it be considered "resisting arrest"? I guess I'd like to know exactly when these bouncers let it be known to Adrian that they were actually cops.

bluecoconuts

Legend
interference said:
bluecoconuts said:

Did Adrian know that these were cops when he disobeyed their orders? If he did not, then how can it be considered "resisting arrest"? I guess I'd like to know exactly when these bouncers let it be known to Adrian that they were actually cops.

It didn't say they were bouncers, it just said that they asked him to leave. I think they were just a few off duty cops (hence why there was at least three of them) enjoying the bar when they saw him getting a little heated at the bar. Being cops they stepped in to try to calm things down.

Now when if/when showed badges I haven't any clue, but my guess would be after the first time they told him to calm down. But that's just based on what I would do in that situation, and what friends of mine who are cops do.

We wont know what he knew unless he says so, but it sounds to me like it's just a case of a guy getting a little big headed in a bar, and cops sticking him in the drunk tank for a night. Non story in my opinion.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Adrian Peterson doesn't seem like the type of guy 2 get into this sort of thing, I sure hope he gets out of this w/o damaging his rep.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
bluecoconuts said:
interference said:
bluecoconuts said:

It didn't say they were bouncers, it just said that they asked him to leave. I think they were just a few off duty cops (hence why there was at least three of them) enjoying the bar when they saw him getting a little heated at the bar. Being cops they stepped in to try to calm things down.

Now when if/when showed badges I haven't any clue, but my guess would be after the first time they told him to calm down. But that's just based on what I would do in that situation, and what friends of mine who are cops do.

We wont know what he knew unless he says so, but it sounds to me like it's just a case of a guy getting a little big headed in a bar, and cops sticking him in the drunk tank for a night. Non story in my opinion.
The excerpt below is what made me think the off-duty officers worked for the establishment...
As the off-duty officer cycled through the bar at closing time, he asked Peterson and his group of friends to leave, according to Smith. When the officer returned, Peterson told him "I heard you the first time," and pushed the officer in the shoulder, causing him to stumble.

bluecoconuts

Legend
A lot of times police will help a bar out by keeping people in order for them when off duty in exchange for discounts on their beer. Sounds like it was more that than anyrhing else. If that really, cycled through could just mean he was walking too the exit to go home (since it was closing time) and saw the situation. I don't think there's really anything here.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Apparently the whole confrontation was caught on video and, from some of the reports I have heard, it makes the Houston police department look bad. I have heard an officer just jumped on Petersons back when he started walking towards the exit and there was no physical initiation from AP.

How mad would you be, if you were a Vikings fan, if an officer jump on AP's back, for no reason, and re-injured his busted up knee causing him to miss the year?