About Carberry’s impact on Rams’ OL thinking this year...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Never understood people's love for him. I guess I just never saw the talent

For one he was a UDRFA who made The Rams roster. If you go back & look at his preseason games you can see talent.
The Fact Brewer was just 1 of 3(2) Rams reserves on game days in 2019 it’s easy to tell what McKromer thought.
BTW - small school & lack of experience.He was only 22 & a cancer survivor.
-Fast forward to 2021 & he sat out the whole season of 2020.
,because of his health concerns. I personally think he GETS CUT if he doesn’t sit out.

Now 2021 if you look at The Rams depth closely you can see the talent.
The Rams have control of his contract for a couple seasons.At 24 he should be bigger,smart, & total understanding of The Rams offense being put in place. — we can talk about The NFL Draft 2021,but this guy is up there on my list of talent & drive.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
see I AGAINST EVERY RAM FAN that thinks The Rams Offensive Line is a mess. I call it DEPTH & LACK of KNOWLEDGE!!!!
Whatever, if it was deep more of them would have experience.

Shelton, Anchrum, Brewery and Demby are complete unknowns.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whatever, if it was deep more of them would have experience.

Shelton, Anchrum, Brewery and Demby are complete unknowns.

so how many Offensive Lineman Will The Rams carry ?? BTW - there are only 5 offensive line positions.

I Noteboom & Evans are pretty talented.
Shelton has been on The Rams game day roster for almost 2 full seasons. I know he lacks actual game day experience though. He was resigned though for at least insurance.
—Now breaking it down though it opens my eyes more at ALL The LOVE for some Players & NONE for other players.
I’ll state that 2019 Brian Allen was The Rams starting Center 2019 with how much experience.Will KEEP saying The Rams are better upfront in 2021 now than in 2019 or 2020 even misusing The Draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The change (I think) will be the power running/blocking scheme Carberry ran at Stanford

That would be something Matthew Stafford hasn’t had much in his career.

The ball is going to be moved around a lot,but Imo The Rams need that to take more control of games & the clock.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well based on the roster I see Whitworth, Noteboom, Edwards/Evans, and Havenstein.

Allen has NFL snaps at C, Corbert too but Cleveland dumped him.

Then Shelton, Anchrum, Brewer maybe, and Debby.

With no real off season last year and a new coach this year there might only be 2 starters, our tackles, who are locked in.

Oh really hope they have no restrictions on camp, they need it to get this mess figured out.
That first sentence above of your list of five Ram OL'ers are really all pure OT's there blackbart:fistbump::giggle:.

Brian Allen ROD's most loved "punching & Kicking bag" did merit & deserve the starting center position back in the 2019 training camp. Speaking of snaps??? Allen has 619 NFL snaps @ center with the starting Ram offense. No other Ram Ol'er can come close to matching that! That just ticks most of this forum off :explode:.

On Austin Corbett/Cleveland deal...Corbett was the closest thing to a first-round pick. Browns were locked in on him filling that serious Grand Canyon-sized hole @ LT. Corbett a 4 yr starting LT in college just did not have the length or the feet. Browns tried him everywhere on their OL & found out his best position by a large degree was @ Left OG.

The problem was they had (& still do) an all-pro in this post. The Browns had issues @ both OT posts & @ OC Corbett just was not an OT nor & had zero experience to play center. Corbett now has the experience if Carberry wants to go this route.

The Rams also have at least six young IOL'ers in Edwards/ Anchrum/ Brewer/ Allen/ Evans & Shelton who might want to put up a very tough fight in TC to start @ OG this season too. What a luxury this team has @ this moment in time...Snead has been busy fortifying this OL cadre. Good Job Snead:fistbump::)!

Rams need to be in a strong position after the draft to replace Noteboom OT, Corbett IOL & Brian Allen IOL due to UFA'cy next year. Rams might have some $$$ to try to retain one like OT Noteboom with a new contract so I would expect two Interior OL'ers to be drafted @ the conclusion of May 1st.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
To do otherwise is foolish no matter who is your QB!

To think The Rams offensive line wasn’t good enough in 2020 to win it all would be foolish as well. The Rams were as good as most teams.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
That first sentence above of your list of five Ram OL'ers are really all pure OT's there blackbart:fistbump::giggle:.

Brian Allen ROD's most loved "punching & Kicking bag" did merit & deserve the starting center position back in the 2019 training camp. Speaking of snaps??? Allen has 619 NFL snaps @ center with the starting Ram offense. No other Ram Ol'er can come close to matching that! That just ticks most of this forum off :explode:.

On Austin Corbett/Cleveland deal...Corbett was the closest thing to a first-round pick. Browns were locked in on him filling that serious Grand Canyon-sized hole @ LT. Corbett a 4 yr starting LT in college just did not have the length or the feet. Browns tried him everywhere on their OL & found out his best position by a large degree was @ Left OG.

The problem was they had (& still do) an all-pro in this post. The Browns had issues @ both OT posts & @ OC Corbett just was not an OT nor & had zero experience to play center. Corbett now has the experience if Carberry wants to go this route. The Rams also have at least five young IOL'ers in Edwards/ Anchrum/ Brewer/ Evans & Shelton who might want to put up a very tough fight in TC to start @ OG this season too.

Rams need to be in a position to replace Noteboom OT, Corbett IOL & Brian Allen IOL in this draft due to UFA'cy next yr. Ram might try to retain one like Noteboom with a new contract so I would expect two IOL'ers to be drafted @ the conclusion.

I'm usually right there with you but after the saffold situation I wouldn't let Corbett or Noteboom walk away. There will be way more cap money next year our 30 million dead cap drops as well.
The offensive line continuity is pivotal especially with an older qb. With the investment in Stafford we need to do whatever it takes for his success and most importantly his health. Those two guys depending on the season they put in have to be resigned unless they have better players in mind. Allen as of now is the only one I'm indifferent about. As far as pay how much can they (Boom and Corbett) really command? That said teams are built in the trenches maybe you let them walk on there second contract but I wouldn't want to be the minor leagues for the rest of the league develop and let them go. There has been a lot of effort and patience developing these guys so we need to see what type of season they put in and go from there.

oldnotdead

Legend
Carberry likes to run right at defenses. If he has his way IMO he would run a gap power and inside zone schemes between the tackles as his primary attack. He's experienced in patching up injury decimated lines. What I like about Carberry over Kromer is Carberry teaches, and understands how to develop young talent. Kromer is fine when he has vets, but obviously doesn't really know how to develop young talent. When you look at the development of the Ram's young talent under Kromer it was clearly behind the curve. That is why IMO Kromer is rightfully gone and Carberry brought signed.

As far as 3 new faces on the o-line that could mean just about anything. I can clearly see the need for increased depth at OT and does it also include the shifting of players such as Edwards from LG to RT and Allen as the starting Center? I think they are looking at adding new depth more than new starters unless a young proven vet FA falls in their lap. But since they have stood pat during the initial FA period I think it will be via the draft and as UDFA. I wouldn't discount a trade much in the same way guys like Corbett and Young have been acquired. Veterans but still on their first contract. The biggest trade bait on the o-line is Havenstein. Despite his faults, he potentially could have trade value with the Chargers as he's better than their current RT. But there is no one on their o-line worth trading for.

I think what the 3 new faces refer to are 3 positions with new starters, LT Noteboom, C Allen or Shelton, RT Edwards. That then opens two depth positions TBD in OTAs and TC.

This team is clearly in a win-now mode so I really don't expect any rookie starters on the o-line. Clearly, the Rams history shows they prefer to redshirt them as rookies and allow them to compete for starting positions in their second year. They are looking like an old-school team that understands most rookies require a 3-year development window, redshirt year one, backup year two potential starter year 3.

I've been saying for a long time the o-line as it stands has talent enough to be pretty damn good with the guys they have on the roster. The way I see the o-line roster right now is:

LT Noteboom
LG Edwards
C Allen or Shelton (I think Allen has the edge, but my preference is Shelton)
RG Corbett
RT Edwards

Gameday reserves: Allen or Shelton C/OG, Swing OT TBD, Swing OG/OT TBD

I think the starters are pretty much on the roster with only one reserve position to be filled with either Allen or Shelton. I think Havenstein's poor playoff performance against Seattle a division opponent should have cost him his job. They traded for Corbett and he's played well at both LG and RG. I think this is a final prove it confirmation year but expect him to be extended. Evans also played well when he took over for an injured Edwards and I would be surprised if he is demoted. He played well enough to warrant another starting season and it frees up Edwards to replace Havenstein.

The bottom line is I think with a relatively immobile Stafford, they will think long and hard starting a rookie on the o-line and that is especially true at C who needs to make the o-line calls.

Tano

Legend
The bottom line is I think with a relatively immobile Stafford, they will think long and hard starting a rookie on the o-line and that is especially true at C who needs to make the o-line calls.
I wouldn't call him relatively immobile.

I would put him somewhere between our previous QB (who got up to speed like a big rig truck getting on a highway) and Andrew Luck.

Andrew wasn't a fantastic runner but he could make some moves to make guys miss.

Stafford is somewhere in the middle.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm usually right there with you but after the saffold situation I wouldn't let Corbett or Noteboom walk away. There will be way more cap money next year our 30 million dead cap drops as well.
The offensive line continuity is pivotal especially with an older qb. With the investment in Stafford we need to do whatever it takes for his success and most importantly his health. Those two guys depending on the season they put in have to be resigned unless they have better players in mind. Allen as of now is the only one I'm indifferent about. As far as pay how much can they (Boom and Corbett) really command? That said teams are built in the trenches maybe you let them walk on there second contract but I wouldn't want to be the minor leagues for the rest of the league develop and let them go. There has been a lot of effort and patience developing these guys so we need to see what type of season they put in and go from there.
If Noteboom appropriates control of the LT post or the RT post this upcoming season then he will not walk away without a good-sized contract offer very soon. Noteboom is a very mature smart young man. He stands a very good opportunity to replace Andrew Whitworth later this season.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
If Noteboom appropriates control of the LT post or the RT post this upcoming season then he will not walk away without a good-sized contract offer very soon. Noteboom is a very mature smart young man. He stands a very good opportunity to replace Andrew Whitworth later this season.

I have always said that. He is a LT and I feel he is way better there than guard has the feet for it where guard requires more grind and power. That's why is want him and Corbett resigned. Only way I'd let Boom go is if we got Orlando Brown then focus would be to resign brown and keep Corbett but Boom should be virtually half the price of brown lol.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

That right there was very WELL put.
—The Rams could be looking to sign either Corbett or Noteboom to a longer term(Ram,player friendly)multiplayer contract.
Brian Allen is also in a contract year
who I’m sure The Rams still believe in.
Coleman Shelton was resigned for another season knowing McVays offense the last 2 seasons.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I’ve been to a few(all) The trading camps The Rams have had in California at least once each season.
I think I have a pretty strong opinion of him just as a player in person & how he played last season.
I get upset at the DOUBT .I accused you in the past about Saffolds time as a Rams Player. I was ACTUALLY on both sides of Roger Saffold as a Rams player. We can go into his Rams career. Like some I see some of the same Characteristics.I actually see Noteboom as a more mature player & very positive.Saffold is very strong & has a nasty side to him which he displayed in The 1st Cardinals game 2020. They DLINEMAN tried to Punk him & he showed Toughness.
Anyway I still think Noteboom is a better LT than a guard. I also don’t see him playing RT from my experiences.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So much hope with Boom. A guy who got moved by most opponents he faced. Who can't stay on his assignments. And who will be a FA soon.

There is zero reason to think he is a future anything that involves starting. He is another backup level player who is best served coming in off the bench.

His role is appropriate this year. As to next year who knows, other than it won't be Boom in a starting role. 100%. Bank it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It’s not decided if Whitworth will retire. He did take a 3 million dollar paycut in exchange for a fully guaranteed contract. I’m not sure how much can be read into that.
On March 18, 2020 he signed a three year deal. This is the second season on that deal. Maybe the guarantee means he could retire and still get the final year paid in full. But if things go well this year and he’s having fun I guess he could return.

I would think if they draft an OT of the future they could do it this year. They supposedly like Brewer a lot though. They may be more in the market for a future Right tackle if that is true. It’s a good draft for interior Olinemen. Corbett is a free agent next year I believe. But they supposedly really like Anchrum. If he becomes a guard or center then there is one immediate hole to be filled and one future hole. So they could just draft one or two Olinemen. A lot depends on how they view Evans.

The Rams have spoken to some higher rated corners. If I had to bet I think Corner is their first pick. If that’s accurate then how good of a future left tackle could they draft. I know they spoke to a few. They spoke to several speedy receivers too.

I guess in the end that anyone’s guess is as good as another. My guess is only two Olinemen get picked, a corner, and deep threat/ kick returner are the only guarantees.

I’d be happy if they landed a good ilb but the draft is thin at that position.

Love Whit and everything he's done for us. But even before he was injured last year, he wasn't the same guy. Age is starting to show. Having said that, he's better than a lot of LTs and definitely most, if not all rookies. But if I'm reading OTC correctly.....it looks like they updated it because he's only counting 5 mil towards the 2021 cap.....he's a 13 mil savings and a 1.67 dead money hit next year. If they think Noteboom or someone else on the roster already or a 2021 draft pick will be ready in 2022, then that's a cap savings no matter which way you look at it.

I haven't heard who they "supposedly" like Brewer, Evans, Noteboom, etc. and even if they "supposedly" like any of them, they "supposedly" loved Blythe but let him walk. Personally, not knowing what's inside their heads, I hope it's "let's draft a C and an OT because we've got enough OGs in Corbett, Edwards, Anchrum and Evans (if they consider Evans a guard). We could most definitely use another CB or two, a deep threat WR and hopefully a QB of the future.

On that last one, it's like money in the bank. If Stafford can't play another 4 or 5 years, we're going to need a replacement and why not train him for a couple of years? If Stafford can play another 4 or 5 years, a good QB, who's been learning (and displaying his talents in preseason) can be traded for a higher round pick in 2 or 3 years to a desperate team, especially if the QB class coming in is thin. It would be a bet but it would serve 2 purposes. Cover for Stafford's future and if not, possibly return a nice pick in the future.

How many games did Jimmy G play before he was regarded as a value in trade? I'll answer that question myself......2 starts in 3 years.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wiuld love to see them grab Walker Little. And they could grab Stanford's center with the 2nd 4th Rd pick. That would allow them to grab a corner and my bet is they acquire another pick with a trade down, somewhere in the middle of all that.

Oddly enough the Rams could actually go heavy with Stanford players and have a pretty decent draft class.

2 - Paulson Adebo, CB
3 - Walker Little, OT
3 - Drew Dalman, C
4 -
6 - Simi Fehoko, WR
7 - Curtis Robinson, LB