About Carberry’s impact on Rams’ OL thinking this year...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So many discussions have occurred about so many options on Rams OL direction in ‘21 and beyond.

And we must remember that McVay specifically selected Carberry to guide his Rams through this maze. I suspect that we’re not giving the new OL coach sufficient credit for kinda masterminding a new direction for this Rams OL this offseason.

Will Rams be looking for more power run blockers?

And, if so, what is the Ram future for the following:

Center. Clearly an upgrade was required. Could be via draft, internally, or an inexpensive FA, or some combination of these.
Whitworth. Obviously this year’s starter at LOT, but is this his last year as such? Quite probably, I think.
Hav. Will he be traded this offseason by draft day? Or the next?
Noteboom. Future Ram LOT to replace Whit? Or will he be allowed to walk next year?
Corbett. Legit C candidate or an ascending OG?
Edwards. OG or potential RT this year or next?
Evans. Can he be a possible OG in Carberry’s ‘new’ blocking scheme or is he a possible eventual RT as soon as this year?
Allen. Don’t go to sleep on this guy at C just yet. Rams have kept him around for a reason. Kromer was a fan. Does Carberry like him?
Shelton. Some think he might be the future starting C that caused Rams to let Blythe go for.
Anchrum. Some think he could potentially play any of the 5 OL positions and play them well. Kromer was impressed with him. Is Carberry? And, if so, how much?

There have been strong hints about a ‘new direction’ for this Ram OL. Kromer unexpectedly departed late in the offseason causing some speculation about philosophical differences regarding OL with McVay. Carberry hired and McVay seemed almost giddy afterward. Reminded me of his joy after hiring Staley last year. This shouts ‘Change’ to me.

Jourdan shared that she had been told that 3 new OL members would be brought in this year, and we all know how well connected Jourdan has been.

New QB named Stafford behind C this year and I think that the Rams want to give him the best possible OL in front of him to allow him to work his magic. To do otherwise would seem foolish.

Put all of the above in the blender and what should we conclude?

I think we would be wise to leave all OL options on the table, frankly. And I do mean ALL of them. Let’s indulge in some outside-the-box thinking on OL until further notice.

How soon and how many OL players will be brought in via draft? Maybe FA? Promoted from within?

And will there be shuffling of starters on this OL so that McVay/Carberry can better have their power run blocking?

Snead/McVay/Carberry have been very tight lipped so far, almost giving the impression that they’ve painted themselves into a corner with C options here a month before the draft, but I don’t believe that. I believe that they are executing their plan while keeping other teams and we fans guessing.

I don’t know their exact plan, of course, but I do know this. We should expect the unexpected regarding ‘21 OL moves and Carberry is right in the middle of all of it. Nothing should be considered absolutely off the table.

Rams are playing chess here while other teams are maybe playing checkers? I’d bet on it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
With Kromer gone and Blythe signed elsewhere, that's already two changes to the OL. Is "continuity" still a priority? If so, Whit, Edwards, Corbett and Havenstien remain in place for the start of 2021 with just the C someone new. Have they been trying someone from in house at C?
We won't know ti TC.

Could they package a player with draft picks for a starting vet C? Could they be waiting for cuts to the 53 man roster later on?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
There are so many good offensive lineman available still in free agency. More than I can recall ever at this time. So I hope they plan on picking up one or two. I believe Reiter didn't allow a sack last year or maybe one sack allowed but I wonder if he fits. There are still some very good tackles left some good guards of course center is the weakest of the leftovers but still. Maybe sign a guard move Corbett?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Don't sleep on Chandler Brewer either. If he opts back in, he could very well be a player for snaps.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
There have been strong hints about a ‘new direction’ for this Ram OL. Kromer unexpectedly departed late in the offseason causing some speculation about philosophical differences regarding OL with McVay. Carberry hired and McVay seemed almost giddy afterward. Reminded me of his joy after hiring Staley last year. This shouts ‘Change’ to me
The change (I think) will be the power running/blocking scheme Carberry ran at Stanford

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
New QB named Stafford behind C this year and I think that the Rams want to give him the best possible OL in front of him to allow him to work his magic. To do otherwise would seem foolish.

To do otherwise is foolish no matter who is your QB!

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
There are so many good offensive lineman available still in free agency. More than I can recall ever at this time. So I hope they plan on picking up one or two. I believe Reiter didn't allow a sack last year or maybe one sack allowed but I wonder if he fits. There are still some very good tackles left some good guards of course center is the weakest of the leftovers but still. Maybe sign a guard move Corbett?
Not sure there are any good ones left at all unfortunately for the IOL. Highly doubt we would sign any of them except Reiter but that would have happened by now.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
With Kromer gone and Blythe signed elsewhere, that's already two changes to the OL. Is "continuity" still a priority? If so, Whit, Edwards, Corbett and Havenstien remain in place for the start of 2021 with just the C someone new. Have they been trying someone from in house at C?
We won't know ti TC.

Could they package a player with draft picks for a starting vet C? Could they be waiting for cuts to the 53 man roster later on?

My money is on in-house vs. draft.pick in camp. Like someone else said, rarely do twams trade competent centers. 1 already switched teams this off season but it involves the Raiders so.....

The change (I think) will be the power running/blocking scheme Carberry ran at Stanford

I wiuld love to see them grab Walker Little. And they could grab Stanford's center with the 2nd 4th Rd pick. That would allow them to grab a corner and my bet is they acquire another pick with a trade down, somewhere in the middle of all that.

Or they could just go C at 57

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Not sure there are any good ones left at all unfortunately for the IOL. Highly doubt we would sign any of them except Reiter but that would have happened by now.

No there are actually some good ones left and not necessarily Blythe was just signed by the chiefs yesterday. Longer you wait the lower the price goes is the hope especially when agents know many teams will fill he's via the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Carberry also ran the same zone scheme that McVay uses when he coached with McVay at Washington under Callahan. I don't think a bunch of Online personnel moves are likely. My bet would be zone with minor tweaks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't sleep on Chandler Brewer either. If he opts back in, he could very well be a player for snaps.

exactly - so I’ll keeping asking what Rams O”Lineman is getting cut in 2021 ?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jourdan shared that she had been told that 3 new OL members would be brought in this year

If it is 3... they must be laying low for a FA, or anticipated roster cut.

3 feels too many for the draft, at least with the picks we have today, and if draft picks or UDFA’s that doesn’t sound like major overhaul currency.

Carberry also ran the same zone scheme that McVay uses when he coached with McVay at Washington under Callahan. I don't think a bunch of Online personnel moves are likely. My bet would be zone with minor tweaks.

I am starting to think this.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So many discussions have occurred about so many options on Rams OL direction in ‘21 and beyond.

And we must remember that McVay specifically selected Carberry to guide his Rams through this maze. I suspect that we’re not giving the new OL coach sufficient credit for kinda masterminding a new direction for this Rams OL this offseason.

Will Rams be looking for more power run blockers?

And, if so, what is the Ram future for the following:

Center. Clearly an upgrade was required. Could be via draft, internally, or an inexpensive FA, or some combination of these.
Whitworth. Obviously this year’s starter at LOT, but is this his last year as such? Quite probably, I think.
Hav. Will he be traded this offseason by draft day? Or the next?
Noteboom. Future Ram LOT to replace Whit? Or will he be allowed to walk next year?
Corbett. Legit C candidate or an ascending OG?
Edwards. OG or potential RT this year or next?
Evans. Can he be a possible OG in Carberry’s ‘new’ blocking scheme or is he a possible eventual RT as soon as this year?
Allen. Don’t go to sleep on this guy at C just yet. Rams have kept him around for a reason. Kromer was a fan. Does Carberry like him?
Shelton. Some think he might be the future starting C that caused Rams to let Blythe go for.
Anchrum. Some think he could potentially play any of the 5 OL positions and play them well. Kromer was impressed with him. Is Carberry? And, if so, how much?

There have been strong hints about a ‘new direction’ for this Ram OL. Kromer unexpectedly departed late in the offseason causing some speculation about philosophical differences regarding OL with McVay. Carberry hired and McVay seemed almost giddy afterward. Reminded me of his joy after hiring Staley last year. This shouts ‘Change’ to me.

Jourdan shared that she had been told that 3 new OL members would be brought in this year, and we all know how well connected Jourdan has been.

Put all of the above in the blender and what should we conclude?

I think we would be wise to leave all OL options on the table, frankly. And I do mean ALL of them. Let’s indulge in some outside-the-box thinking on OL until further notice.

How soon and how many OL players will be brought in via draft? Maybe FA? Promoted from within?

And will there be shuffling of starters on this OL so that McVay/Carberry can better have their power run blocking?

Snead/McVay/Carberry have been very tight lipped so far, almost giving the impression that they’ve painted themselves into a corner with C options here a month before the draft, but I don’t believe that. I believe that they are executing their plan while keeping other teams and we fans guessing.

I don’t know their exact plan, of course, but I do know this. We should expect the unexpected regarding ‘21 OL moves and Carberry is right in the middle of all of it. Nothing should be considered absolutely off the table.

Rams are playing chess here while other teams are maybe playing checkers? I’d bet on it.

btw you make it sound like Jourdan shared an insider secret. When I heard her say that she was speculating that three Olinemen would be picked in this draft because it’s a pretty deep Oline draft and the Rams have needs there.

That was just a guess.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
btw you make it sound like Jourdan shared an insider secret. When I heard her say that she was speculating that three Olinemen would be picked in this draft because it’s a pretty deep Oline draft and the Rams have needs there.

That was just a guess.

And probably a good guess. They definitely go OT because Whit is in his last year (probably). Probably C (for obvious reasons). OG or do they have enough of those (Corbett, Edwards, Anchrum.....Evans, Noteboom who are either) and go back to the OT position?

I'd like to see 3 OL in the draft, two CBs and a LB/Edge/or WR/RB. But you know we'll come out of this with more than 6 picks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And probably a good guess. They definitely go OT because Whit is in his last year (probably). Probably C (for obvious reasons). OG or do they have enough of those (Corbett, Edwards, Anchrum.....Evans, Noteboom who are either) and go back to the OT position?

It’s not decided if Whitworth will retire. He did take a 3 million dollar paycut in exchange for a fully guaranteed contract. I’m not sure how much can be read into that.
On March 18, 2020 he signed a three year deal. This is the second season on that deal. Maybe the guarantee means he could retire and still get the final year paid in full. But if things go well this year and he’s having fun I guess he could return.

I would think if they draft an OT of the future they could do it this year. They supposedly like Brewer a lot though. They may be more in the market for a future Right tackle if that is true. It’s a good draft for interior Olinemen. Corbett is a free agent next year I believe. But they supposedly really like Anchrum. If he becomes a guard or center then there is one immediate hole to be filled and one future hole. So they could just draft one or two Olinemen. A lot depends on how they view Evans.

The Rams have spoken to some higher rated corners. If I had to bet I think Corner is their first pick. If that’s accurate then how good of a future left tackle could they draft. I know they spoke to a few. They spoke to several speedy receivers too.

I guess in the end that anyone’s guess is as good as another. My guess is only two Olinemen get picked, a corner, and deep threat/ kick returner are the only guarantees.

I’d be happy if they landed a good ilb but the draft is thin at that position.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well based on the roster I see Whitworth, Noteboom, Edwards/Evans, and Havenstein.

Allen has NFL snaps at C, Corbert too but Cleveland dumped him.

Then Shelton, Anchrum, Brewer maybe, and Debby.

With no real off season last year and a new coach this year there might only be 2 starters, our tackles, who are locked in.

Oh really hope they have no restrictions on camp, they need it to get this mess figured out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well based on the roster I see Whitworth, Noteboom, Edwards/Evans, and Havenstein.

Allen has NFL snaps at C, Corbert too but Cleveland dumped him.

Then Shelton, Anchrum, Brewer maybe, and Debby.

With no real off season last year and a new coach this year there might only be 2 starters, our tackles, who are locked in.

Oh really hope they have no restrictions on camp, they need it to get this mess figured out.

see I AGAINST EVERY RAM FAN that thinks The Rams Offensive Line is a mess. I call it DEPTH & LACK of KNOWLEDGE!!!!