Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Demoff said that they don't see eye to eye on how much Donald should be paid.

Crouch-Crying-Jordan-Meme.jpg

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Listening to Demoff - sounds to me like we are looking at an extended holdout. Deadlines spur action - I wouldn’t count on seeing AD’s deal done in August. I hope the Rams don’t blink - but I do hope they come away with a done deal eventually. If AD misses a few in order for the Rams to be able to extend the core talent, then so be it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Donald talk starts at 13:50

Demoff said that they don't see eye to eye on how much Donald should be paid. Still trying to find a solution. Said that they want to preserve their young talent, mentioned Peters and Goff, that they want to build for the long term instead of the short term.

Doesn't sound too promising. I REALLY hope they find that solution.

Calls it a spirited conversation, but is trying to be polite. This is the first direct evidence I've heard that the negotiations are not going well.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Re. The Demoff interview:

WOW. FINALLY a little bit of info about the negotiations. Really a good listen,

My take: a mixed bag, but no need for doom and gloom....yet.

Reasons for optimism: Demoff says that the reports of “posturing” in the media are inaccurate. (My interpretation: reports of France being “insulted” are overblown). Demoff says negotiations are polite and professional, and that he enjoys working with them. Shockingly, at one point Demoff even defends A.D.’s agents, explaining that he does not think they are wrong in any way— they just have a different opinion about the numbers.

Reasons for concern: clearly, still a significant lack of agreement about the numbers.

Overall: Demoff inspires confidence that he’s keeping the long term big picture at the front of his mind, and negotiating in a professional and fair manner. Negotiations are not mean spirited. However, unfortunately, there is still a difference of opinion about the numbers.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sounds like AD is not saying anything and letting his agents do all the talking. I'm wondering how comfortable he will be when he starts missing games and watching his teammates from his living room couch.

Doesn't sound like Dmoff and Co intend to give in. I hope not. The Rams future and locking up core players is more important than one DT, no matter how good hi is. just MHO.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Listening to Demoff - sounds to me like we are looking at an extended holdout. Deadlines spur action - I wouldn’t count on seeing AD’s deal done in August. I hope the Rams don’t blink - but I do hope they come away with a done deal eventually. If AD misses a few in order for the Rams to be able to extend the core talent, then so be it.
I'm already coming to terms with the idea of AD being traded for a king's Ransom . And honestly, the idea of keeping our offensive line and defense in tact as opposed to losing guys to pay Donald isn't that unappealing

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Can anyone provide me with some examples of a team or teams under the current CBA that have been crippled by handing out too many fat contracts? Crippled as in having to let elite players walk in FA or get traded away for peanuts because they couldn't make it work?

The most recent example I think would be the fall of the Seahawks, their inability to get a O-line and losing talent there as it came up for contract, and now we see them offloading a lot of the expensive talent.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
So they don't see eye to eye on the numbers. Nothing new here, we all knew that before, that's why they're in the middle of negotiations
They're being polite and professional. Usually means they will reach an agreement.
Really nothing new here except it it proves that all the reports we've seen from, (cough cough) reputable sources are all fabrications and lies.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Reasons for optimism: Demoff says that the reports of “posturing” in the media are inaccurate. (My interpretation: reports of France being “insulted” are overblown). Demoff says negotiations are polite and professional, and that he enjoys working with them. Shockingly, at one point Demoff even defends A.D.’s agents, explaining that he does not think they are wrong in any way— they just have a different opinion about the numbers.

One more reason for optimism: they're still talking.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm already coming to terms with the idea of AD being traded for a king's Ransom . And honestly, the idea of keeping our offensive line and defense in tact as opposed to losing guys to pay Donald isn't that unappealing

They aren’t trading him - and no one would pay both the Rams price and ADs. AD will hold out until it is clear that there is no more money to squeeze out of the negotiation. Then he will sign and come wreck offenses for the next 8 years.

Unfortunately, the breaking point won’t be clear until the season is underway.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've avoided jumping to any conclusions until I heard something straight from the horses mouth.
While this information isn't new, it certainly doesn't present a picture of harmonious negotiations.
Maybe Demoff is tired of being asked the question, maybe he's annoyed with the situation, I don't know. But he does seem agitated.
At least they are still talking

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I've avoided jumping to any conclusions until I heard something straight from the horses mouth.
While this information isn't new, it certainly doesn't present a picture of harmonious negotiations.
Maybe Demoff is tired of being asked the question, maybe he's annoyed with the situation, I don't know. But he does seem agitated.
At least they are still talking

I'd say its pretty harmonious - but it is a negotiation - of course they don't agree otherwise a deal would be done. He was very complimentary (they have been all along) - he was just stating the obvious. They want AD, they love AD, they understand AD's position, but they have an obligation under the cap. I would suspect that nothing said in this interview was news to AD's team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say its pretty harmonious - but it is a negotiation - of course they don't agree otherwise a deal would be done. He was very complimentary (they have been all along) - he was just stating the obvious. They want AD, they love AD, they understand AD's position, but they have an obligation under the cap. I would suspect that nothing said in this interview was news to AD's team.
Saying that they don't agree on what he should be paid is not harmonious. I've always felt the public opinion intimated that they were close (Snead and McVay comments), this sounds entirely different

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Interesting note above that Suh's contract was 86% of top QB money, and that the defensive market hasn't moved (those two contracts now being 63% of what top QBs make).

Really wish I knew what each side was offering/arguing for. But I'd guess that AD's reps want something along that 86% range, and the Rams are obviously not there.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Demoff is not going to say something like "AD's agent is effing crazy in his demands". It was politely worded, but the Rams FO are always polite when describing their players. Always. Even if they are being traded the next day. So while being polite doesn't mean things are going badly - talking about it is not a good sign. And admitting that they don't see eye to eye after brief comments earlier this offseason made it sound like they were close, is not a good sign.

We'll see if AD orders his agent to take a large but smaller than demanded offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.