Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was just answering the question. He didn't show up in time to play, but he did show up in time to collect a paycheck for doing nothing. That's disappointing.

I don't want him to be the villain. Actions have consequences though.

What he got back from fines , is NOT even close to his value. InwishnAmwrica would hold the Presiutona Higer Standard. I be more happier with him if he just lite up a Big Joint & Stuck his middlemfinger up
In the Air !!

Aaron Donald is a CLASS Act !!! He Plays hard & takes care of business. He is A Gamer !! Always Ready on Sunday’s.
Greg Robinson has made more money than Aaron Donald!!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Does anyone have any figures or calculated guesses as to what sort of money A, the Rams are offering and B, Donald is demanding? Are they miles apart? I've read that the Rams have offered him a deal that would make him the highest paid defensive player, which was turned down, and I've read somewhere else that he's after a deal that would put him at elite QB level couple that WITH an early get-out clause for him - are any of these true is it all just speculation?

With the huge contract that the Rams have been delivering recently, the AD offer must be a decent one, it feels like to me that AD is being a bit of a prima donna, surely there must be a bit of 'we not me' in there somewhere? The way I'm looking at it the problem of not signing seems to be in camp AD99.

Can anyone shed light on it for me??

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Does anyone have any figures or calculated guesses as to what sort of money A, the Rams are offering and B, Donald is demanding? Are they miles apart? I've read that the Rams have offered him a deal that would make him the highest paid defensive player, which was turned down, and I've read somewhere else that he's after a deal that would put him at elite QB level couple that WITH an early get-out clause for him - are any of these true is it all just speculation?

With the huge contract that the Rams have been delivering recently, the AD offer must be a decent one, it feels like to me that AD is being a bit of a prima donna, surely there must be a bit of 'we not me' in there somewhere? The way I'm looking at it the problem of not signing seems to be in camp AD99.

Can anyone shed light on it for me??
Best article I’ve read about it is from Joel Corry at CBS sports. He’s a former agent. Gives a good educated guess about both sides, and the difference between them.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-khalil-mack-are-still-waiting-for-new-deals/

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/07/...nt-aaron-donald-signed-his-big-rams-contract/

Bonsignore: Why hasn’t Aaron Donald signed his big Rams contract?

IRVINE — If you’re keeping track of the Rams’ recent contract developments – and based on my Twitter feed that seems a likely bet – a natural reaction would be to scream: “But what about Aaron Donald?!”

Understandable given how Donald and the Rams have been talking for more than a year about a new contract that reflects his status as the best defensive player in the NFL.

Yet, they have exactly nothing to show for it.

That is, aside from an entire 2017 training camp holdout and the potential of another one this year. The Rams open camp Thursday at UC Irvine, but with Donald barreling into the last year of a rookie deal that falls embarrassingly short of paying him fairly, it seems unlikely he’ll step foot anywhere near Orange County until a new deal is secured.

And rightfully so.

No one deserves a new contract more than Donald, whose performance at defensive tackle the past four years has soared so far above his paycheck he’s easily the most underpaid player in the league. And given the money he’d stand to lose should he get hurt before signing an extension, it would be foolish of him to suit up for anything short of an actual game practice until an extension finally comes to fruition.

Nevertheless, less than 48 hours before camp officially starts, Donald and the Rams still haven’t found common ground on a new deal.

It stands to reason, then, how people were scratching their heads upon learning the Rams handed running back Todd Gurley a lucrative four-year, $60 million extension after already locking up wide receiver Brandin Cooks with a five-year, $80 million extension just last week.

Fans are probably asking: “Um, what about Aaron Donald?” in a way that suggests the Rams are prioritizing other players at the expense of arguably their best.

Understandable.

But not practical.

In fact, the question is flawed.

It’s no longer: “What about Aaron Donald?”

It’s: “What about it, Aaron Donald?”

The Rams have demonstrated they are willing to pay at the top of a position market – as they did with Gurley to reset the running back market – or competitively by making Cooks among the highest-paid receivers in the game. It stands to reason they’d do the same for Donald, coming off a 2017 season in which he was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year and racked up 91 quarterback pressures in 14 games.

Given the Cooks and Gurley contracts, you’d be on the safest of grounds to deduce the Rams have offered Donald a deal that makes him the highest-paid defensive player in the history of the NFL and makes him the first non-quarterback to break the $20 million per year threshold.

For argument’s sake, let’s just say it’s $21 million per year. And in terms of guaranteed money, let’s safely presume there’s more than $70 million sitting in the middle of the table just waiting for Donald to claim.

That’s game-changing and generation-changing money that sets Donald up for the rest of his life and earns him the rightful distinction of being the highest-paid defensive player of all time.

That’s game-set-match if you’re Donald and his agents.

Or should be.

That it’s not is remarkably telling. And not in a way that reflects poorly on the Rams. They are ready and willing to do right by their star defensive tackle.

Within reason, of course.

Which brings us to the question: “What about it, Aaron Donald?”

What’s the holdup?

What could you possibly be demanding so above and beyond what the Rams are offering that common ground has been so elusive to find?

Donald and his agent, Todd France, have kept a tight lid on contract talks. As have the Rams. But there is speculation within NFL circles Donald is looking for a landmark deal.
In fact, an NFL general manager told me recently word on the street is Donald and his agent aren’t just seeking a deal that resets the defensive market. They are looking for top quarterback money, which would mean pushing that $21 million to between $25 million and $30 million per year and thrusting that $70 million to the $80 million and beyond range.

If so, that would be a reckless disruption to the Rams’ salary cap given the need to eventually pay Jared Goff, who is well on his way to becoming an elite quarterback.

On top of already paying Gurley and Cooks top dollar and eventually locking up star cornerback Marcus Peters and tackle Rob Havenstein and guard Rodger Saffold.

In a perfect, non-salary cap world, the Rams back up the Brinks Truck and pay Donald whatever he wants. But the world in which they operate consists of an unforgiving salary cap under which 53 players must fit. Ideally with fair contracts reflecting their performance.

The Rams have been ready and willing to pay Donald accordingly and historically. The contracts they gave to Cooks and Gurley back that up.

So what’s the holdup on Donald?

Better yet, “What about it, Aaron Donald?”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The narrative has already changed.

Aaron Donald is the bad guy.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
But what can the Rams FO do if he won't budge from wanting elite QB money?
Exactly what they are doing now, right? Assuming he is declining a deal that would make him the highest paid defensive player ever, the Rams should stand pat and get 3 more years out of him, and let him walk. This isn't about making AD a villain or even taking sides for me. It is about what is best for the team in the next five years. I am a RAMS fan, not a fan boy of any one player or someone who side's with billionaire owners. If signing AD to QB money means losing....oh, I dunno....our QB...its a hard pass for me.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

laugh all you want @dieterbrock but not one talking head said "pay the man" when talking about ad. they said the rams reset the rb market by making gurley the highest paid rb and made cooks one of the highest paid wrs so they've shown they will pay their players. why isn't donald agreeing to the huge offer they've made him? then they start talking about how donald must be looking to make a transcendent deal.

it's begun whether you like it or not. ad is the new bell.

Psycho_X

Legend

laugh all you want @dieterbrock but not one talking head said "pay the man" when talking about ad. they said the rams reset the rb market by making gurley the highest paid rb and made cooks one of the highest paid wrs so they've shown they will pay their players. why isn't donald agreeing to the huge offer they've made him? then they start talking about how donald must be looking to make a transcendent deal.

it's begun whether you like it or not. ad is the new bell.

Hopefully this is resolved by August 7th.

giphy.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
New faces at Rams training camp, and one that's missing
upload_2018-7-25_10-8-40.png

Aaron Donald is scheduled to earn $6.9 million this season and the reigning Defensive Player of the Year is none too happy about it. Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire

• Lindsey ThiryESPN

The Los Angeles Rams open training camp on July 26 on the campus of UC Irvine in Irvine, California. Here's a closer look at the Rams' camp:

Top storyline: Super Bowl or bust. After a surprise turnaround in 2017 that included a playoff appearance for the first time since 2004, the Rams went all-in, bolstering their roster with the acquisitions of All-Pro cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib and receiver Brandin Cooks, as well as All-Pro defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh. The time is now -- and the clock is ticking -- for the Rams to make a Super Bowl run with a loaded roster unlikely to stay intact for long, with big pay days awaiting Todd Gurley II and Jared Goff in the near future.

QB depth chart: From seven winless starts as a rookie to leading the NFL's highest-scoring offense last season, Goff, the top overall pick in 2016, goes into his third season with a newfound sense of ownership of coach Sean McVay's offense after spending a year in the system. Sean Mannion will once again backup Goff in the final season of a four-year deal. Brandon Allen and Luis Perez will compete for the No. 3 spot.

Bubble watch: Veteran defensive lineman Dominique Easley impressed coaches during training camp last season before tearing his ACL, prompting the Rams to give him another chance and sign him to a one-year deal worth $1.85 million. But there's uncertainty how the former first-round pick will perform coming off a third significant knee injury dating back to college.

This rookie could start: It's very unlikely that any rookie will crack the starting lineup. The Rams traded their first-round pick to the New England Patriots in exchange for Cooks. Their first two selections, in the third and fourth round, were offensive linemen Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen who will spend the season learning behind veterans. Linebacker Micah Kiser, a fifth-round pick from Virginia, competed at inside linebacker through the offseason program, but is not expected to win the job.

Hold out watch: It remains to be seen whether reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald will report to camp. Donald is scheduled to earn $6.9 million in the final season of his rookie contract but is seeking a new deal that could pay him in excess of $20 million per season. He did not attend the offseason program and did not report to minicamp. McVay said he does not expect to see Donald until a resolution is reached.

Encore: Expectations of a repeat performance for Todd Gurley are high. Last season, Gurley was named the NFL Offensive Player of the Year after he rushed for 1,305 yards and 13 touchdowns and caught 64 passes for 788 yards and six touchdowns. The challenge for Gurley, a fourth-year pro, will be greater this season as opponents have had plenty of time to study film and learn how McVay deployed the multi-dimensional back.

[www.espn.com]

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The ball is clearly in Aaron's court. Assuming that he's not just waiting to the last day to report because training camp sucks, and if there is truth to what Bonsignore has written, then AD and his agent are being stubborn to the point of monumental stupidity to not take the offer that is likely before them. If the Rams are willing to make him the highest paid defensive player in the game and it's still not enough, then AD only has a couple of choices:

- don't play, in which he doesn't get paid at all
- play for the Rams on a series of one-year deals (because he WILL get franchised), risking injury and thus a chance at a long term deal.

If you are a person in his situation, at some point you've got to put the ego aside, step back, and look at the bigger picture: You've got an offer in front of you in which the total amount is well over $100 million, probably in the $120-$130 million range (which is also known as "F U money"), multiple generations of your family will have financial security, and even if you get hurt and never finish the deal, you are going to be guaranteed upwards of $60 million, very likely more than that.

If AD is pushing for QB money and the whole thing falls through, he ends up getting hurt, and ends up making far less than he could be taking an offer that makes him the highest paid player in the league, I won't feel any sympathy for him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Aaron Donald is scheduled to earn $6.9 million this season and the reigning Defensive Player of the Year is none too happy about it. Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire"

Ok, this is just speculation unless the author has a quote or a verified source, neither of which is provided. I also am getting tired of the "Super Bowl or Bust" storyline that everyone is running with...Yes, Suh is on a one year deal, but he can be replaced with a 1st or 2nd round rookie next year. Talib could also get an extension, with Peters probably the focus for a big deal. It seems to me with the Woods, Cooks,Gurley and hopefully the Donald deals, they are getting the cap hit up front so that when Goff's deal comes, the big money will be somewhat out of the way for Goff's deal. I'm no football genius, but even I can see this. Why can't the guys who get paid for analysis quit with the win now, or it's all over, commentary? It seems to me that the Ram's Front Office is the most forward thinking in the NFL.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I also am getting tired of the "Super Bowl or Bust" storyline that everyone is running with...Yes, Suh is on a one year deal, but he can be replaced with a 1st or 2nd round rookie next year. Talib could also get an extension, with Peters probably the focus for a big deal. .

Good Points here, but it's like anything else nowadays, when one person applies a "tag line." Everybody jumps aboard because in the age we live in minds are not soiled with original thoughts. You are correct sir on the surface some one year rentals, but quickly that be overcome. Tend to concur that Talib could stay with Peters going next season and the Rams using an early pick for a CB. Also glad the Rams kept Cooks with trading of a first round pick.

Was listening to Louis Riddick yesterday and he said, with the roster the Rams have, they better win early because if they don't the locker room could go South with players looking at the following year. I'm betting on this coaching staff keeping that together, but I'm glad the Rams have locked up a few players because that translate into a positive message in the locker room.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I feel your pain LoyalRam. I get this every day at work. What do the Rams do if they dont win the SB this year. Why wont they sign Donald. We live in a time where people literally only read headlines.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We live in a time where people literally only read headlines.

Going back years ago at a very young age being the Super Market check out line and chuckle at the tabloids and now everything is a tabloid.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Super Bowl or bust
Have they not been paying attention? We just signed Cooks and Gurley to contract extensions. That doesn't speak of one and done, that speaks of continuity. Heck, they had no previous knowledge of a Gurley extension, so basically their stupid assumptions is just that, stupid assumptions.
I'm no football genius
You're better than me, because I'd have to say, "I'm no genius" and leave it at that, which those who know me would agree with.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I'll add that nobody here seems to be trying to make AD into a villain. Most of us are simply exploring the possibility that his representation is asking for too much. Big difference. And at this point it looks like there's a good chance that's where things are.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Good Points here, but it's like anything else nowadays, when one person applies a "tag line." Everybody jumps aboard because in the age we live in minds are not soiled with original thoughts. You are correct sir on the surface some one year rentals, but quickly that be overcome. Tend to concur that Talib could stay with Peters going next season and the Rams using an early pick for a CB. Also glad the Rams kept Cooks with trading of a first round pick.

If Talib plays well he has the best chance of sticking around due to Wade. He's been around enough now to know when he's got it good.

Peters is good as gone. He'll probably wear thin by year two, which is that window where they'd be talkin contract. If he grows up quick it's possible they extend him but unlikely I think.

Next year is going to be the "LT and CB" draft for us. IMO.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Talib plays well he has the best chance of sticking around due to Wade. He's been around enough now to know when he's got it good.

Peters is good as gone. He'll probably wear thin by year two, which is that window where they'd be talkin contract. If he grows up quick it's possible they extend him but unlikely I think.

Next year is going to be the "LT and CB" draft for us. IMO.
Disagree about Peters. He's probably never had a DC like Wade or a HC like McVay, His experience at KC with Andy Reid may have been bad, or had problems that we don't know about. Give the kid a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.