Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I was told that players should be paid based on how much they help you win. Which is an argument in futility, because it is impossible to quantify, but whatever. We get it, you don't want the Rams to pay Donald a lot. Fine. Nothing in this thread will have any bearing on the negotiations, nor is it likely to change anyone's mind, no matter how much you argue it.

First, teams do have some idea how much players help them to win. It's far from perfect, but it's absurd to think that they can't evaluate players and their effectiveness for team goals - which IS to win.

And teams do usually (with rare exceptions) base it on what they expect from the players going forward. So while it's great that Miller helped the Broncos win a Super Bowl, they are paying him mostly anyway based on what he can do for them going forward, trying to pay him so that they can build a winning team going forward. That's why the ink was barely dry on his contract when they redid it, realizing they'd made a mistake initially.

In terms of this thread not having any bearing on anything - well, sure. Welcome to the internet. If you don't like it, why are you posting?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
AD is much more impactful than Suh was. Go back and watch the second Seattle game from last season. Donald affected every play that he was on the field for. He makes everyone’s job on defense easier. I want him back. Even with the addition of Suh, this line ain’t shit without AD. If the Rams had a great edge rusher then msybe it’s different, but they don’t. AD is pivotal to the success of this team.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
The REAL reason AD99 hasn't signed his new deal yet:

latest

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First, teams do have some idea how much players help them to win.

Right, which is the ongoing negotiation. His value/impact/etc. vs the salary cap.

It's far from perfect, but it's absurd to think that they can't evaluate players and their effectiveness for team goals - which IS to win.

Which is ultimately my point. You are the one arguing that he doesn't help the rams win enough to get that kind of money. My point is that your 'pulled out of the air' metric of helping the team win is not quantifiable and completely subjective.

I think ultimately, Donald gets around 22-ish Million a year with near $80M Guaranteed. Probably affects depth at some point, and that will be that. I think as long as he stays and doesn't get hurt it will be great for both parties. To me, having a disrupt-or like him on the D-Line better than letting him walk. It isn't my job to manage the salary cap, those guys know far more about it than I do. I just don't see his looming contract as a "Sky is falling" scenario.

MauiRam

Rookie
AD is much more impactful than Suh was. Go back and watch the second Seattle game from last season. Donald affected every play that he was on the field for. He makes everyone’s job on defense easier. I want him back. Even with the addition of Suh, this line ain’t crap without AD. If the Rams had a great edge rusher then msybe it’s different, but they don’t. AD is pivotal to the success of this team.

One of Donald’s best attributes is hard to measure, but worthy of mention. Donald surely gets into the head of opposing Qbs thanks to his freakishly fast first step, and overall speed. With the acquisition of Suh, this attribute will be further amplified, and should make for some interesting viewing - at least for Ram fans.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It happens by Friday morning! Gut just told me while I was in the bathroom.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It happens by Friday morning! Gut just told me while I was in the bathroom.
Ummm... I hope the gut wasn't referring to the "business" you were working on in the bathroom, that's a long ways away. My feet usually fall asleep at the 5 minute mark.
Good luck

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
He'll be at home against NO. Bank it. I don't think he plays until week 2 or 3 if he even does. I have a feeling the Rams are holding firm at their number and so is AD. Now it's a staring contest to see who blinks first.

Turducken

Starter
And why is this in the Aaron Donald contract negotiation thread?
Because it will be the closest thing we have for a value ”comp” at AD's position. If they extend geno for say $13m/yr it increases Rams' claim AD is being unreasonable. If they extend geno for >$16m then it increases AD's position.

Turducken

Starter
Because it will be the closest thing we have for a value ”comp” at AD's position. If they extend geno for say $13m/yr it increases Rams' claim AD is being unreasonable. If they extend geno for >$16m then it increases AD's position.
Looks like it is $16.3m per year for geno. I think AD signs for <$21m/yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.