A word about Sammy Watkins...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

we've all seen the videos of plays where goff hits higbee for 20 yards when on the other side of the field sammy has his man beat with only open pasture ahead of him. it's mcvay's job to get jared to look for sammy in those situations instead of higbee. and yeah, i get the design of the play is to get higbee the ball but goff should be getting more comfortable in this offense every week and have a quick peek towards sammy to see what's happening.

one time he was actually looking at sammy beating his man and still went to higbee. that tells me he was not actually looking at sammy, he was just trying to look off the safety so he could go to higbee. exactly how the play was drawn up. i'm sure it will get to the stage where he can go off script and take advantage of seeing his wr beat a man for a potential td if he passes the ball to him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

we've all seen the videos of plays where goff hits higbee for 20 yards when on the other side of the field sammy has his man beat with only open pasture ahead of him. it's mcvay's job to get jared to look for sammy in those situations instead of higbee. and yeah, i get the design of the play is to get higbee the ball but goff should be getting more comfortable in this offense every week and have a quick peek towards sammy to see what's happening.

one time he was actually looking at sammy beating his man and still went to higbee. that tells me he was not actually looking at sammy, he was just trying to look off the safety so he could go to higbee. exactly how the play was drawn up. i'm sure it will get to the stage where he can go off script and take advantage of seeing his wr beat a man for a potential td if he passes the ball to him.

You don't want your QB coming off a read that's open. That's how you end up with interceptions. You take what you're given and throw the ball on time. Sometimes, things happen after the snap that aren't what the QB expects before the snap. Maybe it's because the defense fooled him. Maybe it's because the defense makes an unexpected error. Either ways, if your first read is there, you're not going to pick up on the unexpected thing. On that play, IIRC, the defense made an error.

IMO, the biggest problem for Goff and Watkins has been them not being on the same page. We've had opportunities, but Goff and Watkins just don't have the chemistry that Goff and Woods and Goff and Kupp do.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't want your QB coming off a read that's open. That's how you end up with interceptions. You take what you're given and throw the ball on time. Sometimes, things happen after the snap that aren't what the QB expects before the snap. Maybe it's because the defense fooled him. Maybe it's because the defense makes an unexpected error. Either ways, if your first read is there, you're not going to pick up on the unexpected thing. On that play, IIRC, the defense made an error.

IMO, the biggest problem for Goff and Watkins has been them not being on the same page. We've had opportunities, but Goff and Watkins just don't have the chemistry that Goff and Woods and Goff and Kupp do.

yeah, i said that in the second part of the post. goff looked off the safety and threw to higbee, just like how the play was drawn up. but when he was looking off the safety sammy was beating his man. goff was looking in that direction. but he wasn't actually looking. he wasn't processing what his eyes were seeing. his brain was set on the play design, look a couple of seconds to the left then snap back and deliver the strike to higbee.

mcvay has to keep working with him to go beyond the play call and take advantage of defensive errors. take in every thing he sees during the play and react accordingly. this will happen with time, he's young and inexperienced now, and when it does the rams offense will really be difficult to stop.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah, i said that in the second part of the post. goff looked off the safety and threw to higbee, just like how the play was drawn up. but when he was looking off the safety sammy was beating his man. goff was looking in that direction. but he wasn't actually looking. he wasn't processing what his eyes were seeing. his brain was set on the play design, look a couple of seconds to the left then snap back and deliver the strike to higbee.

mcvay has to keep working with him to go beyond the play call and take advantage of defensive errors. take in every thing he sees during the play and react accordingly. this will happen with time, he's young and inexperienced now, and when it does the rams offense will really be difficult to stop.

You can't always do that, though. You have to throw on time. If you don't, you lose the opportunity (and if you still throw, you risk interceptions). Sometimes, you just have to take what you know is there and bypass what might be there.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't always do that, though. You have to throw on time. If you don't, you lose the opportunity (and if you still throw, you risk interceptions). Sometimes, you just have to take what you know is there and bypass what might be there.

fair enough.

but i'm just talking about plays where a td is staring him in the face. you gotta take advantage of them sometimes. i'm positive once he masters this offense and gets very comfortable he will be getting sammy many more long td strikes.

nighttrain

Legend
Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer
Rams WR Sammy Watkins has a saying: "90 percent of the time I feel like I'm open. The other 10 percent, some s*** goes bad with the quarterback; a sack of something like that." Still, Watkins echoed Sean McVay's message — that the Rams are going to have to replace Robert Woods by committee. "Maybe I do get more opportunities; you never know. But we do have other guys stepping up."

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Isn't Caplain just relaying what he's been told?
Or do you think he's just making that up.

Let's just say that I don't think Caplan has been told that because the tape says differently.

He's not looked at tape and is talking out of his ass. Why I have no idea but anyone that has seen Goff would immediately say "that's just not accurate at all".

He's basing his opinion on last years play, not this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think if plays happen on time, Goff is only getting to his second read. But as LesBaker stated, when the plays got beyond (the purposed outcome...), you can clearly see Goff going further into his progressions. Now, I think it's McVay's use of combo patterns that leaves Watkins out of the mix. Woods and Kupp have thrived out of these sets. While Sammy gets isolated much more. I would like to see him (Watkins) operating out of a stack more down the road.

Goff gets through his reads pretty quickly now. I don't think the speed of his reads are a big issue, I mean he's not elite in that regard but he's at that NFL starter range for sure. Also I think McVay can adjust scheme a bit on some plays to ensure Sammy is an early read, even if it means moving him to Z for example, but once again to what extent he makes adjustments comes back to Jared and his continued development.

I like and agree with Greg's take on Goff for the most part. For myself nothing's changed, in that I think as he continues to develop his ability to maximize his receiving talent will get better and better. But you can't rush that, and this is why I don't like the argument of forcing the ball to Sammy because that runs counter to what you teach a QB to do.

Oh and btw re: the media types saying dumb $#!T side of the discussion, I think they do it because they get an idea in their head which drives them to look for something to back it up on film. And some even go so far as to claim to have inside sources to back that type of stuff up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think there are some questions when you watch the tape about his toughness in the pocket and his willingness to stand and deliver.

-Greg Cosell on Goff 2016 tape.

There were questions in regard to what Greg alluded to last year. Some of us still believed in Jared and understood the scheme and players around him were subpar, but those were fair questions posed by him.

I think you're being a little hard on him man. Jared's going to be an elite QB but he wasn't last year and isn't right now. He's progressing nicely though and that's what matters.

Memphis Ram

Legend
He's not looked at tape and is talking out of his ass. Why I have no idea but anyone that has seen Goff would immediately say "that's just not accurate at all".

He's basing his opinion on last years play, not this year.
Again, Cossell made his comments after watching tape.

Caplan only commented on what opposing teams told him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would Caplan lie?

Why do any of these guys talk out of their asses? They want to be seen as experts with connections. Nobody can call him on his "anonymous sources."

Ellard80

Legend
Sammy had a decent game... lazy ass effort on the int however.

Get your body in position and make the fucking play like you want it.

Memoriesdk

UDFA
Name
Memoriesdk
I think he had a great game.
The INT was an underthrown ball. With the momentum he had going forward there wasn’t much he could do.

82 yards and two pass interferences of over 30 yards. That’s the kind of damage a guy like him can do without showing up in the scoreboard

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Made the game winning catch from the onside kick don't forget.

Ram65

Legend
I think he had a great game.
The INT was an underthrown ball. With the momentum he had going forward there wasn’t much he could do.

82 yards and two pass interferences of over 30 yards. That’s the kind of damage a guy like him can do without showing up in the scoreboard

Got a TD too. All things considered he had made a difference today. Had Goff not underthrown that INT pass he had another TD. A little more time with Goff and they will be smoother.