A second team in Dallas isn’t as crazy as it sounds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

A second team in Dallas isn’t as crazy as it sounds​

On the surface, the notion of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sharing the Dallas market with another team is ludicrous, especially in light of the fact that many believe Jones would not want a team potentially horning in on the Cowboys’ turf in San Antonio. However, it’s one thing to share a market. It’s quite another to share a stadium.

Jones owns the facility in which the Cowboys play. He could take on a tenant. He could host another 10 games there each year, doubling the annual inventory to 20. He’d make a lot more money, and the Cowboys would still be the Cowboys.

It’s a no-brainer, especially as the Dallas market grows. It’s a no-brainer for the NFL to expand, especially as the gambling-driven appetite for more inventory grows. After inevitably nudging the size of the season from 17 regular-season games to 18, the only way to create more games on which to wager (as explained in Playmakers) will be to expand the league.

New York and L.A. already have two teams that share a stadium. Chicago is an obvious candidate for a second team. Dallas is, too.

Beyond market size, stadium construction costs also become relevant. By putting a second team in an existing building, the cost of the second team’s stadium is zero dollars and zero cents.

And with the owner of an existing stadium standing to earn plenty of extra money by staging all of those extra games, why not do it?

Again, the market has to be big enough to justify it. Chicago and Dallas are. And so as the league prepares to eventually balloon from 32 teams to 34 (and maybe 36, 38, and possibly 40), it makes plenty of sense for America’ Team to share its home.

In the early days of the AFL, Dallas did indeed have two teams. The Cowboys and the Dallas Texans competed for hearts, minds, eyeballs, and wallets until the Texans surrendered, moving to Missouri and becoming the Chiefs. That was a much different world, and the game was in a much different place.

Today, football rules and Texas fancies itself as the epicenter of the game. It doesn’t take long to conclude that the possibility of a second team in Dallas should have been on the radar screen a long time ago.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There isn’t enough NFL level talent for more teams, IMO. Look at the haves / have-not at the QB position alone.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Been to the Dallas/Fort Worth area many times as many of you have read and love the area plus we own property there too. Plenty of people to support two teams, just not sure with the Cowboys being the Cowboys, you could compete IMHO.

Lamar Hunt found that out in the 60's and that was before the Cowboys even got going. Hunt moved his Dallas Texans to Kansas City & renamed them the Chiefs. I believe for years unless the new team won right away, it would be like the Clippers & Lakers. Now the Clippers finally have a great owner, however, it's still an uphill climb and as an owner, that's quite a bit to ask.
1652186661712.png

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well it's less crazy than putting a team in Europe.

Because these are still science fiction
iu

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There isn’t enough NFL level talent for more teams, IMO. Look at the haves / have-not at the QB position alone.

I don't feel like looking it up, but off the top of my head, I'd guess the ratio of good QBs to total teams is better now than it was in the 90s when the league only had 28 teams, and that if we added four more teams, the ratio would be back to normal again

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Gambling driving the business, imagine that. You can’t watch a game now and not be bombarded with it.

Can they support 2 teams, yeah, maybe. Why would a new owner not want their own building? Why wouldn’t a college with a huge stadium want a piece of that money?

I think there are better options and if I was the “other owner” I wouldn’t want to be a tenant.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Texas has two teams. That’s enough imo. There is no need to expand again, especially in Texas. There are already enough bad teams. It wi just dilute the talent pool.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I would say no unless no other city in America can't support a team. Honestly and I'm saying this even if others may or may not agree, but St. Louis should get a team. They supported our Rams well even when we sucked ass. Also they got screwed over by the relocation thing. I think if the NFL had bought them out per se with the agreement of putting the next expansion team there prior to the Rams going back to LA, the whole legal mess would be non-existent.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Texas already has 2 teams. Plenty of other American cities I would look at before putting another team in Texas.

If international expansion is on the table, I still say Toronto would be a very good spot. There are tons of football fans in Ontario that would switch to the local team if there was an option, and Toronto is one of the bigger markets in North America, I believe in the top 5 actually. Unlike European cities, travel would not be a huge headache.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Won't happen because Jurrah. I wish it would though. and the new Dallas team end up being good and everyone abandons the Cowboys. lol

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It would be so cool if we could step in a transporter and be in Europe the same day
FOX NFL Sunday…

“We take you live to Wembley stadium where the Jacksonville Jaguars are beaming into their locker room for todays game.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think another team in Dallas before giving a team to so many other deserving cities would be stupid. Here's a list of the most populous US cities. It gives a reference I think for the decision.

Also it wasn't too far back the NFL was talking about, or rumored to be talking about expansion to 40 teams. That would enable some crazy shit like a full division in Europe or service to many US cities that are teamless right now with significant populations. The better the NFL can cover the large population centers the better the income they're going to be able to project.

Here's a list from 2022 (the site linked above):

1652204876606.png

1652204924009.png

1652204978569.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it was me and due to the combination of the above and regional considerations I'd try to seed some more teams in the midwest. Oklahoma City, St Louis, Louisville etc. With priority of course being which prospective ownership group has the best stadium plan i.e. deep pockets.

They need to keep adding top money owners to this league IMO. So it might come down to that over some regional logic.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Now I will add this because I grew up in Stockton but putting a team there would be awesome and scary all in one. I'd become a fan of that team but they wouldn't replace the Rams at all hahahaha

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm opposed to expansion, like @CGI_Ram said, the product gets watered down. And the teams who get added are due to suck for the first 5-10 years, unless they rig the system like they did for Jacksonville and Carolina, who ended up sucking anyway...
Alas, what is also fact is that the geographical location of the team matters, and not for attendance purposes. The NFL doesnt give a flying fuch about attendance, its all about viewership, and getting paid by top bidder who provides it.
In a perfect world, instead of adding teams they'd build a true "supplemental league", a second chance league with a product folks would pay to watch

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FOX NFL Sunday…

“We take you live to Wembley stadium where the Jacksonville Jaguars are beaming into their locker room for todays game.”
And we haven't seen this type of beam in their eye, since their former Head Coach Urban Meyer checked out the blonde at his bar in Cincinnati.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Someone has to say it,
Won't they need to put the first one in Dallas before they add another? ;)