A Lions Fan's Perspective

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Iron Lion said:
Conference call with Fisher on my Lions site, don't know if you guys have heard this one yet:

http://prod.www.lions.clubs.nfl.com/med ... 2298b2f08d

Also there's this article bringing up the issue again on Sam, the Lions, & the 2009 NFL draft:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... dford.html
I read that article and the Lions fans are grossly uninformed about Bradford. I honestly doubt he went back to school because he didn't want to be a Lion. That was never a rumor outside of Detroit. Hell St. Louis has been just as bad and he didn't hesitate to come out when they took him #1. Also they have no idea just how accurate Sam is. When he gets even a bit of time he is deadly accurate, in fact as accurate as I've ever seen especially on short and intermediate routes. It's hard to know about the long throw accuracy because the Rams never throw it down field and the WR would never get open down field.

Also it helps to make Stafford (who is an excellent QB) look even more accurate when he has someone like Megatron who he can just heave it down field and know that he'll make a play on it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Iron Lion said:
I didn't know those rumors were just in Detroit

Yep - never heard that one. Probably an attempt at trying to stir up the fan base.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hmmmmm ,,, that rumor sounds like it could be absolutely true if you ask me.

When I think of Detroit , the first thing to come to my mind is that TV show called Hardcore Pawn.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
Hmmmmm ,,, that rumor sounds like it could be absolutely true if you ask me.

When I think of Detroit , the first thing to come to my mind is that TV show called Hardcore Pawn.

I always think of this scene in Kentucky Fried Movie. Maybe the rumor is true after all.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo[/youtube]

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Excellant Stu,,, I had forgotten about that one. :lmao:

Here's a couple from Hardcore Pawn that came to mind...

In this one,,, some say that Treena is actually Calvin Johnson. You be the judge.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXDOkofbCVA[/youtube]

And of course, this would be Slim Shady

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVoO5wYDII[/youtube]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
Excellant Stu,,, I had forgotten about that one. :lmao:

Here's a couple from Hardcore Pawn that came to mind...

In this one,,, some say that Treena is actually Calvin Johnson. You be the judge.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXDOkofbCVA[/youtube]

And of course, this would be Slim Shady

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVoO5wYDII[/youtube]

Yeah - I just noticed in my email that Kentucky Fried Movie is due to arrive from Netflix tomorrow. What a coincidence - eh?

Who knew Calvin was a TV? Hey Calvin - you need an enhancement.

Hard Core Pawn eh? I've seen it on the listing but never watched it. Thinking I probably won't either. Gots me some paint to watch dry. :tooth: So that's Detroit - eh? That bitch of a white boy needs some serious ass woopin'. I'm thinking he is a candidate for a Loraina Bobbit act of retribution. He probably stole those rings from his parents who could never tell him NO. He reminds me of Dukie Wookie.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIaS0lh-uo[/youtube]

Iron Lion

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So now I would like to present my predictions for the NFC West.
Be prepared: you may go insane from reading this.

1. Arizona

I think the most underrated QB of last year was Matt Moore, and this year it's going to be Helter Skelton. I'm not saying he is going to be great—I just think he will be good enough to win games with a good defense, good special teams with Patrick Peterson returning punts, and possibly a good to great running game with the emergence of Ryan Williams.

As for the elephant in the room, AKA the o-line... while it is bad, and it is an issue, I think it is largely correctable in that you can disguise many of those problems with proper scheming. Some things are not correctable, such as the actual talent of the o-line, but the scheme of the o-line very much is correctable. Also I don't think it would have looked as bad if Kolb did not play in the preseason, as it is easier for the line to block for Skelton because he moves around in the pocket much more conventionally and the linemen know where he's going to be, so that they can block defenders away from the QB instead of into the QB like what happened when Kolb was in there.

Overall this team is built to win close games, and it is also built to participate in close games, and in this (sorry, but it's true) weak division, that could be enough.

2. San Francisco

The success of the 2011 team is not sustainable. They will not be +28 in turnovers again, the defense will not be as good as they were last year, and the injury fairy will not forget to pay them a visit as it seemed to last year. Also, Alex Smith, while having a contract that is somewhat voidable after one year, is not in a contract year this time around. And aside from that, I just don't believe he's going to be a turd for his whole career and then all of a sudden polish himself into titanium. No, he had a career-year (it is basically statistically impossible to not have one) that, yes, coincidentally, aligned with other borderline miracle circumstances that helped this 49er team tremendously.

I do need to say that, as much as I can't stand the cut of Smith's jib, he does have the intangibles that a QB needs: he's got toughness, and he's clutch. Problem is, he lacks this thing called talent. So for him, all he has to do is barely be average in certain spots and he deserves the clutch label. But in the end, his ineptitude came home to roost in the conference championship against the Giants. The Kyle Williams fumbles were a mere footnote to the true reason the 49ers lost that game... it was more the fact that Smith could not complete a single ball to a WR until the final 2:00 of the game, and that he couldn't convert a single 3rd down until the final 2:00 of the game, and that he was throwing at below 50%. And it didn't help matters that on the other side you had a real NFL QB converting 3rd down after 3rd down. Between that, and the fact that the 49ers defense didn't serve him up some convenient turnovers, Smith's talent level was simply overwhelmed by Eli's.

I'm not going to predict a specific record, but this team will be below .500 and sitting at home in January.

3. St. Louis

Ugh, somehow I will have to find a way to cough up a couple paragraphs here without using the banned "rebuild" word. Oh crap, I just did. Well, let me rebuild this starting now. OK here we go.

Now I am going to try to use my words carefully here, seeing as how I am in your forums, but I have to say that there are some numbers on Bradford which would terrify me if I was a Rams fan. Before I even get into this, I know that I'm going to be coming at you with a stat that I've made up myself, and then saying that Bradford is poor in this stat, so you can be mad at me if you want, but honestly I believe there is a big problem here. The stat is what I call Productivity, it is the ratio Yards:TDs. This stat should be around 150:1 for a franchise QB, and it should be low, not high. To give you a barometer, Aaron Rodgers was 103:1 last year. So how did Sam Bradford score last year? If I recall correctly, he sprained his ankle with around 2:00 to go in the 4th quarter of the @GB game. I will therefore ignore the games that followed, and extrapolate a 16-game season based on the first 5 games. In this respect he threw for the equivalent of 3766 yards, 10 TD, 6 INT. The TD:INT ratio is good, but here I don't particularly care about the INTs as my metric is attempting to measure QB productivity and I ignore mistakes (I would use another system of analysis to measure the mistake volume). Bradford's Productivity is at 376:1, which is pretty bad. I haven't yet created a system to attempt to account for a TD that is "sniped" by the RB, i.e. the QB drives the team down inside the 5 and then the RB finishes the drive. However, even if I award all Rams rushing TDs to Bradford, regardless of if they were long TDs like your first play of the year or even if they occurred when Bradford was not in the game, he is still sitting at an adjusted Productivity of 221:1, which is simply too high (adjusted simply meaning the prorated stats, as I already mentioned, together with all Rams rushing TDs). The Rams' offense was not extremely skewed towards rushing, so I would put the Productivity above 221:1. And the problem with a high Productivity ratio is that it means, by definition, you're not scoring. It means you are bending a defense but not breaking it.

I am putting all of my focus on Sam Bradford here when talking about the Rams because, essentially, R word or not, the team is punting this year away. The success of this season for the Rams will barely even be defined by wins and losses, or by the development of team chemistry, or by the emergence of young talent. It will be solely Sam Bradford flipping over his card, showing us if he's got BlackJack... or bust. The best thing that can happen for this team is for Sam to have a Cam Newton-type year... it won't even matter if the Rams have a Panthers-type year along with that, there will simply be the hope of having a franchise QB. Sam has not yet hit that 30-game mark where you know what you have in your QB. I'd put him at just 16+5=21 games, ignoring the ankle games and giving him a pass. He obviously has talent, as he is a 1, and it is well documented that there are offensive struggles around him. But every 1 is drafted to a bad team... Cam turned around one of the worst offenses in the NFL by himself, so Sam, if he's holding BlackJack, can make this offense better quite literally by himself.

I'm pointing out a red flag here in my analysis, not to try to insult you guys or make fun of your team, but simply for the sake of pointing it out... as this is a football forum where we talk about obscure football stuff. And I think it is an important issue, but it is not something that cannot be fixed (hence the phrase "breakthrough year"). But I think overall that this year should be extremely exciting for Rams fans, because... well let's put it this way, Andrew Luck can stink it up this year and nothing will be done about it, nothing will be learned, nothing will change, but what you Rams fans have is a #1 pick in his 3rd year, you have a #1 pick who's going to make it or break it, a #1 pick who's going to flip over that card. This is the year.

4. Seattle

This team puts the "mental" in "experimental." What else can I say? The experimental neon-glow-in-the-dark-toothpaste-Tron:Legacy uniforms... the experimental WRs (hey, General Bentnose, er, I mean Pete Carroll, I hear Ochocinco is available, er I mean Johnson... whatever). And to top off the experimentation, you've got a QB under 6 feet and CBs over 6 feet? Maybe Carroll is hard of hearing and he can't tell the difference when someone says quarterback and cornerback. Look, I mean, I know it's frustrating that you've got 5'10" DBs trying to cover 6'4" WRs, but there's a reason NFL teams do it this way: if your DB is too tall, his center of gravity is too high, and he is in danger of slipping and falling. And what is the #1 rule in football? Stay on your feet! You're not making a play on your @$$. I know these DBs made it to the Pro Bowl last year, but it is literally one play in a game—let me repeat that, one play in a game—that can make a difference between a CB having a good day and having a catastrophically bad day.

Then we have Russell Wilson. Now let me go off on a tangent before I touch on this. There are people out there who are not currently listing my beloved Matthew Stafford as a top-10 QB. Now, either this is because they are completely unaware of what occurred on or around September of 2011 to January 2012, in which case their opinion is worthless, or they are simply listing QB resumés, in which case, well, I have Google for that and, once again, their opinion is worthless. There is no metric by which Stafford is not a top-10 QB. All of this is to say that while Seahawks fans can be excited over what they've seen out of Wilson, and rightfully so, and I acknowledge that people are generally too slow to allow change at the top of the QB rankings, we have to keep in mind that this kid hasn't yet played a down in the NFL. He's got great legs, but that won't do him any good if he doesn't make it as a QB. We haven't seen what a scheming defense will do to him. We haven't seen a defense capitalize on the fact that his passes are often very high because he has to throw an exaggerated arc to get the ball over the linemen.

So Wilson, while clearly being talented, is as of yet untested, and he is the wildcard... he is the secret ingredient, the X-factor, the control factor, if you will, in this experiment up in Seattle.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't disagree with what you say about Bradford, but just out of curiosity, do you have Staffords ratings after 21 games? Would be interesting to compare. I know I saw more tenacity out of Stafford...that's for sure. I disagree with your team ranking however. I have it going as follows:

1. Whiners. They return all 11 on D and should be better on the offensive side of the ball, assuming A. Smith can find a way to get Moss and Manningham involved. If not...Colin Kaepernick?? Also looks like they have a pretty good stable of RBs behind Gore for once.

2. Seachickens. Another really good and underrated defense. It will be very tough to throw on this team with those big, fast corners. I believe Wilson adds a very dangerous aspect to their offense as well. It wouldn't surprise me if they overtake the whiners this year. I HATE this team.

3. Rams. I think the team begins to gel in the second half of the season as the rookies on both sides of the ball get acclimated to the speed at this level. Assuming Schotty is able to create a scheme that keeps Sams jersey clean and gets the ball out on the edges where they can use their team speed, I see this team winning 6 games. Next year that could double.

4. Cards. Defense is solid, but I just don't see them winning more than 5 games this year with that OL. I drafted Ryan Williams as one of my backup RBs in fantasy, and I hope I never play him. I DO think Floyd will be a stud receiver at some point, just not this year. This is the year they start slow and STAY that way.

Iron Lion

Starter
Stafford's Productivity ratio after 21 games would be very good because 8 of those games would be from last year, although I havent looked at it yet

Iron Lion

Starter
Rams @ Lions Post-Game Reflection

What's up fellas, first of all great game. From around 5 min into the game until 10 seconds remaining, there was an elephant sitting on my chest. Speaking of elephants, I guess let's start with the elephant in the room: the calls in the final 2:40 of the game.

I understand that every play can change the dynamic of the game, so in a sense it's impossible to say "take this away and this follows," but if we just do that then we end up with:

Assume the clock doesn't mess up when Sam slides at the sideline, the Rams run it to 2:00, then run for no gain and Lions call time out, Rams kick FG.

Then we assume Lions are able to drive it like they did, but that they won't have the time to get the TD. We then don't even really have to discuss the ineligible man downfield on the last play. Lions instead kick a FG, and the game must go to overtime.

But if we are subtracting 4 points here then I think there is a point in the game where we ought to add 4 points to the Lions score. After FinFinFinnegan does his thing with Calvin's helmet piece, if the refs don't blow that call (or noncall) then the Lions get an additional 15 yards for the unsportsmanlike conduct, and it's a bit more likely the Lions get a TD instead of a FG at that point.

Of course a TD wouldn't have been guaranteed there, especially with how Stafford was playing at that point in the game, and it also wasn't as critical as a blown call in the final 3:00 of the game, but it's also worth at least considering that if the Lions get a TD there then maybe Stafford comes out of his funk in the 3rd quarter rather than the 4th, the whole complexity of the game changes, etc.

Overall though I would agree the Lions got more favorable calls/noncalls in this game.

I haven't yet read much of what you all have said, I'll check that out in a bit.

One thing I thought was funny was that I get anxious when I watch my Lions, I tend to pace back and forth, and my dad was like, "hey sit down you're making me nervous." And then on that last drive, we were both pacing lol.

Also my dad literally predicted the pick-6 right before it happened.

Looking forward to going over the DirecTV Short Cuts on this one a bit later... footballed out at the moment though, I just finished watching every snap of every game up to SD @ OAK.

Iron Lion

Starter
Also I remember there was one FG the Rams were attempting and the Lions were in full prevent mode with no attempt at blocking... reminded me of the discussions on here about how Fisher was going to run some shenanigans on special teams.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Iron Lion said:
Also I remember there was one FG the Rams were attempting and the Lions were in full prevent mode with no attempt at blocking... reminded me of the discussions on here about how Fisher was going to run some shenanigans on special teams.
Yup ole Jeffe' he'z juan whyley hombre,JMO but if'n he'da had Schawartz's team and Schwartz had Jeffe's that game woulda been a blowout.

Poll: Should Jeffe wear a sombrero?

Si:
No:
No es impotante:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:

Si:
No:
No es impotante:
I think he should have a plethora of sombreros.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:

Si:
No:
No es impotante:
I think he should have a plethora of sombreros.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Results:
Si: Dos
No: Nada
No es importante: Nada

Muy bueno senor X do you have a twin ?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Iron Lion said:
Rams @ Lions Post-Game Reflection

What's up fellas, first of all great game. From around 5 min into the game until 10 seconds remaining, there was an elephant sitting on my chest. Speaking of elephants, I guess let's start with the elephant in the room: the calls in the final 2:40 of the game.

I understand that every play can change the dynamic of the game, so in a sense it's impossible to say "take this away and this follows," but if we just do that then we end up with:

Assume the clock doesn't mess up when Sam slides at the sideline, the Rams run it to 2:00, then run for no gain and Lions call time out, Rams kick FG.

Then we assume Lions are able to drive it like they did, but that they won't have the time to get the TD. We then don't even really have to discuss the ineligible man downfield on the last play. Lions instead kick a FG, and the game must go to overtime.

But if we are subtracting 4 points here then I think there is a point in the game where we ought to add 4 points to the Lions score. After FinFinFinnegan does his thing with Calvin's helmet piece, if the refs don't blow that call (or noncall) then the Lions get an additional 15 yards for the unsportsmanlike conduct, and it's a bit more likely the Lions get a TD instead of a FG at that point.

Of course a TD wouldn't have been guaranteed there, especially with how Stafford was playing at that point in the game, and it also wasn't as critical as a blown call in the final 3:00 of the game, but it's also worth at least considering that if the Lions get a TD there then maybe Stafford comes out of his funk in the 3rd quarter rather than the 4th, the whole complexity of the game changes, etc.

Overall though I would agree the Lions got more favorable calls/noncalls in this game.

I haven't yet read much of what you all have said, I'll check that out in a bit.

One thing I thought was funny was that I get anxious when I watch my Lions, I tend to pace back and forth, and my dad was like, "hey sit down you're making me nervous." And then on that last drive, we were both pacing lol.

Also my dad literally predicted the pick-6 right before it happened.

Looking forward to going over the DirecTV Short Cuts on this one a bit later... footballed out at the moment though, I just finished watching every snap of every game up to SD @ OAK.
The only thing that 15-yard penalty allowed the Rams to do was pooch kick it. Without the penalty, GZ boots another touchback. The Lions actually had a couple yards better with the pooch kick. Stafford barely escaped a 4th INT before the FG. Count your blessings.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Iron Lion said:

Yo Iron - Good game blah blah blah. It was but I'm still pissed as you would have been if your team lost. All that aside.... I'm not sure that what Finnegan did was actually against the rules. I could certainly be wrong but at that point it was debris on the field. Much like when a QB would drop the towel they used to use on the field of play. Refs or players would grab it and chuck it off the field.

Now I'm not saying that Finnegan didn't do it knowing full well that it would make Johnson go off the field to get his helmet fixed. That's pretty smart. But I don't think there is actually a rule against it. Again, I could be wrong but....

The blown calls though were pretty damning. Unfortunately, so was the poor play by our defense at the end of the game. We lost yet another game that we should have won. That is what probably stings more than anything.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
RamFan503 said:
Iron Lion said:

Yo Iron - Good game blah blah blah. It was but I'm still pissed as you would have been if your team lost. All that aside.... I'm not sure that what Finnegan did was actually against the rules. I could certainly be wrong but at that point it was debris on the field. Much like when a QB would drop the towel they used to use on the field of play. Refs or players would grab it and chuck it off the field.

Now I'm not saying that Finnegan didn't do it knowing full well that it would make Johnson go off the field to get his helmet fixed. That's pretty smart. But I don't think there is actually a rule against it. Again, I could be wrong but....

The blown calls though were pretty damning. Unfortunately, so was the poor play by our defense at the end of the game. We lost yet another game that we should have won. That is what probably stings more than anything.

Well ,I think what he did could be called delay of game , which would have been a five yarder, or it could have been called impersonating a grounds keeper which has no yardage, but he'd have to buy a union card, or maybe it's nothing, but what happened was the youngest team in the NFL beat the Lions for 59 min 48 seconds ,.
Twelve seconds away from losing to the youngest team in the league, ISN'T a reason to crow.