A Lions Fan's Perspective

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Iron Lion said:
Ha! Good luck guys with Mr. Titus Young Sr!!

You can have him back, thank you very much.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Iron Lion said:
Ha! Good luck guys with Mr. Titus Young Sr!!
Lions fans after this year: "SEE!? I told you he'd tear up the league somewhere else! DAMMIT!"

Iron Lion

Starter
Thought you guys would like a brief list of Mr. Young Sr's sins:

Rookie year:

1.) Committed a personal foul at the goal line on national television; ultimately the Lions failed to get the TD and took the FG

Second year:

1.) Sucker punched a teammate during OTAs, was sent home for a week

2.) Deliberately lined up in the wrong place in a 2:00 situation in an attempt to get the ball thrown to him; initially the confusion caused the Lions' RT to false start, and ultimately Stafford threw four consecutive incompletions, ending the game and essentially eliminating the Lions from playoff contention

3.) After (2) Young Sr was suspended by the team for one game; upon returning, the coaches were not pleased with his attitude and so they sent him home again, and then put him on IR for an injury that he had been playing through since training camp

4.) Young Sr discovers the Twitter universe...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Iron Lion said:
Thought you guys would like a brief list of Mr. Young Sr's sins:

Rookie year:

1.) Committed a personal foul at the goal line on national television; ultimately the Lions failed to get the TD and took the FG

Second year:

1.) Sucker punched a teammate during OTAs, was sent home for a week

2.) Deliberately lined up in the wrong place in a 2:00 situation in an attempt to get the ball thrown to him; initially the confusion caused the Lions' RT to false start, and ultimately Stafford threw four consecutive incompletions, ending the game and essentially eliminating the Lions from playoff contention

3.) After (2) Young Sr was suspended by the team for one game; upon returning, the coaches were not pleased with his attitude and so they sent him home again, and then put him on IR for an injury that he had been playing through since training camp

4.) Young Sr discovers the Twitter universe...

Good and bad behavior are both products of habit. IMO but there are people you can not reach because they have an internal dialogue that contradicts all you say or do to straighten their attitude problems out .

My guess is that Young will have noticeably better behavior habits by the start of training camp or he won't be with us .

No other team put a bid in for him or so it has been reported He will undoubtedly be aware that he is likely at his last NFL stop and needs to reform his behavior.

I'm not a four pillars guy to the extreme our last coach was, but the intentional stuff Young did IN GAMES is beyond my ability to forgive. I would have passed on him too, JMO but we aren't desperate for WR's ,or are we? Are we so doubtful of the guys we have now that THIS is what we NEED to do?
Young gets a sideways thumb trending down from me.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
If TY is this bad then certainly one would think that there was evidence of this behavior in College. So, did Boise State have problems with this kid too, or was it just when he was in Detroit?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
If TY is this bad then certainly one would think that there was evidence of this behavior in College. So, did Boise State have problems with this kid too, or was it just when he was in Detroit?
I think he was a little "me first" at Boise State too. Nothing too terrible from what I'm reading so far though.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
lasvegasrams said:
so titus young and pettis were teammates? that certainly is a plus

Titus Young and Austin Pettis Reunion Could Pay Off for St. Louis Rams
Read more at

Titus-Young-and-Austin-Pettis-Reunited.jpg

The St. Louis Rams made a bold move by acquiring troubled wide receiver Titus Young on Tuesday. The team was announced as the only one to place a claim on him after he was released by the Detroit Lions. While many will question the move, the Rams could actually come out ahead.

Signing Young reunites the former Boise State Bronco with former teammate Austin Pettis. [hil]While teammates at Boise State, the receiving duo was nearly unstoppable. The duo was part of the dominant years for Boise State that almost became legit BCS National Championship contenders. While playing three years together, Pettis set the record for receptions at Boise State with 229. Young set the school record for career yards with 3063 in three seasons.[/hil]

Pettis has seen his stats improve in his sophomore season. In 2012, Pettis caught 30 passes for 261 yards and four touchdowns. All three numbers were improvements from his rookie season. Young saw his stats decline as he missed games due to team suspensions and injury. Putting the two receivers together could actually help both players. Having a familiar teammate will hopefully keep Titus in check and help him live up to his potential. For Pettis, having the competition for the number two or three receiver could cause both young receivers to move up the depth chart with strong performances.

For the Rams, the move is also smart from a salary cap perspective. [hil]The team will now have one of the lowest caps for wide receivers.[/hil] The team has pending free agents in Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson. Titus will make $555,000, Chris Givens $480,000 and Pettis $580,000. Last season Amendola made $2.0 million while Gibson made $1.0 million. The Rams still will likely resign one of them or draft an additional receiver to round out the roster.

Last season, Amendola led the team with 63 catches. Givens led the team in receiving yards with 698. Both of these are low compared to many other NFL teams that have receivers that post 800-1000 yards. Last season Titus had 383 yards in 10 games. The year before that saw Young put up 607 yards and six touchdowns.

Back in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Rams selected Pettis with the 78th overall pick. This made him the eighth highest wide receiver taken that year. Back in the second round the Lions took Young with the 44th overall pick as the fourth receiver taken. No one would have thought that both would end up on the same team, but now the Rams have the opportunity to recreate the glory days of the Broncos. Perhaps they should trade with the Lions for third string quarterback Kellen Moore and let him get some time with his former targets.

Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/05/titus-young-and-austin-pettis-reunion-could-pay-off-for-st-louis-rams/?ZVtjI8UHjcw3HjSO.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/02/0 ... cw3HjSO.99</a>

Pettis greeted the news on Twitter.

“Congrats to TY for becoming a part of #ramsnation #boise looking forward to the 2013 season and a new beginning,” he tweeted.

Iron Lion

Starter
So how does this work? Are the Rams stuck with Young Sr's contract if no one picks him up off waivers?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Iron Lion said:
So how does this work? Are the Rams stuck with Young Sr's contract if no one picks him up off waivers?
Nope. They didn't assume his contract, so they don't have to pass it along either.

Iron Lion

Starter
I thought making a waiver claim = claiming the contract.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Iron Lion said:
I thought making a waiver claim = claiming the contract.
The Lions have that burden now. After releasing him, they have $908,662 in dead money.

Iron Lion

Starter
So then there is absolutely no downside to claiming someone off waivers?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Iron Lion said:
So then there is absolutely no downside to claiming someone off waivers?
Well, not necessarily. Ordinarily the team that claims a player off of waivers assumes whats left on his contract, provided that team *signs* him. Since the Rams really only brought him in for a look-see, they didn't ink a deal and released him as well. His base salary of $550K gets picked up by whoever inks a deal with him. The Lions, in this case, still have to pay Titus his pro-rated signing bonus.

If nobody else claims him, then he clears waivers and is a free agent, if I'm not mistaken.

Iron Lion

Starter
But that's like calling dibs or something lol, you can't do that... there was never going to be a contract offered to him because he was already under his rookie contract from the Lions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Iron Lion said:
But that's like calling dibs or something lol, you can't do that... there was never going to be a contract offered to him because he was already under his rookie contract from the Lions.
Unless I'm mistaken (and someone can show me where), that's exactly what happened. Once released from the Rams, he goes back onto the waiver wire and someone else gets the opportunity (including those teams who would have otherwise missed out). If nobody does claim him, then he becomes a free agent and is free to negotiate with anyone on *his* terms. But since nobody appears willing to put a claim in, then it's unlikely he'll have the upper hand when all is said and done.

That's why it's speculated that he'll likely never play again. You can get him now for a song (what he's due).
Or. You can forget he ever existed and his contract disappears along with the memory of him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Iron Lion said:
I guess we'll see what happens.
I reckon so.

To be clear, he's due $550,000 in *base salary*.
Whoever puts in a claim for him ONLY has to pay that if they sign him.
The Rams elected not to sign him, so he has to go back through the waiver wire
The LIONS are still on the hook for his signing bonus, and that can't be deferred.
Nobody else has put in a claim (yet)
His options are severely limited now.

All that aside, what's your opinion of Young Titutron?