A Better Michael Vick, IMO

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes all the sense in the world vs. hoping that your team is lucky enough to nab of the 7-10 traditional dropback passers of any quality in the league at any given moment in time.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I think you can win with the top 20 or so QBs in the league right now...but if you are one of the teams that doesn't have one...yea, I'd give whatever you can win with a shot.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't go quite that far. I think you can win with the top 20 or so QBs in the league right now...but if you are one of the teams that doesn't have one...yea, I'd give whatever you can win with a shot.

Win some games? Sure.

But, as far as making a good playoff run, once you leave the top 7-10 guys, you better have a top 5 rushing attack and/or defense, IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Win some games? Sure. But, as far as making a playoff run, once you leave the top 7-10 guys, you better have a top 5 rushing attack and defense, IMO.

Eh...I dunno. Joe Flacco goes into beast mode in the playoffs and I wouldn't think of him as a top QB...maybe fringe top 10. But you never know if a guy will be an Eli Manning/Flacco or a Dalton.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Eh...I dunno. Joe Flacco goes into beast mode in the playoffs and I wouldn't think of him as a top QB...maybe fringe top 10. But you never know if a guy will be an Eli Manning/Flacco or a Dalton.

Flacco would be in my top ten.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Flacco would be in my top ten.

Okay...regardless, you never know how a guy will play in the playoffs. Look at Sanchez. Sucked in the regular season but actually would step up in the playoffs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Okay...regardless, you never know how a guy will play in the playoffs. Look at Sanchez. Sucked in the regular season but actually would step up in the playoffs.

Got to get there to find out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ya know what, Memphis, after flipping on a couple games of Marshall...if we can't get either of the top two and want a developmental QB, draft Marshall. Considering value, taking him in the 5th beats the heck out of Hundley or Petty on Day Two.

Although, I'd want us to have actual insurance behind Sam.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
First of all you have to have the right OC to even consider a redo on the Vick/Cunningham model. More importantly you would have to have a head Coach willing to put his job on the line, or who has unbelievable job security to be willing to okay it all.

Fisher okayed Schottenheimers spread attack and quickly nixed it. The league is filled with old schoolers who believe what they see, which is that a traditional pro style QB is a successful model and the running QB does not last.

When Vick went to Philly the world was abuzz with what Andy Reid was doing with him. Teams dissected his game and he was exposed and abused and injured.

If Nick Marshall can be a Cam Newton type who is a pocket passer that runs on occassion, then fine. But if he follows the Vick model of making a read and then tuck it and run....no.

Now more than ever it is a passing league. San Fransisco wanted Kaepernick to cut down on his running, ditto Carolina and for good reason. They want their QB on the field, not on the trainers table.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Ya know what, Memphis, after flipping on a couple games of Marshall...if we can't get either of the top two and want a developmental QB, draft Marshall. Considering value, taking him in the 5th beats the heck out of Hundley or Petty on Day Two.

Although, I'd want us to have actual insurance behind Sam.

As of today, for me in this draft it's:

1) Trade up for Winston (without giving up 3 1st rounders)
2) Spend a 5th Rounder on Marshall
3) Searching

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
As of today, for me in this draft it's:

1) Trade up for Winston (without giving up 3 1st rounders)
2) Spend a 5th Rounder on Marshall
3) Searching
Keep searching, been doing the same, and not finding much, unfortunately.

Marshall is really athletic, but doesn't offer much on size. I will be interested in seeing his hand size. Throws a good deep ball, good arm, and seems to make decent decisions. Could possibly be able to play a different position in the NFL, so a lower round pick, I'd certainly be OK with.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I hope Marshall gets a shot. He's certainly and athlete and looks like he can make all the throws.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm definitely liking this kid. Every game I watch him play I just had this feeling about him.. even when he played poorly. He has intangibles that with the right coaching this kid can be a Russel Wilson. His arm is stronger though. He keeps his eyes down field and his pocket presence is awesome. He need a guy with a big arm that can escape and create plays. He does tend to throw balls up though because he trust his receivers and with britt(hopefully) and Quick and cook he will have some big targets to throw to. When he runs he protects his body he isn't like Vick or RG3 in that manner. He will make our running game that more efficient and deadly. Not to mention he is an Auburn guy you gotta think he is on fish and sneads radar

ausmurp

Starter
To tell the truth, I'm not sure that there is a traditional scheme that one could name. It really depends upon the offensive coordinator and his willingness to play him to his strengths vs. mistakenly trying to force fit him into a traditional package.

That went for Vick, Newton, RGIII, McNabb, McNair, etc.
And will go for Mariota, too.

Disagree on Newton, McNabb and McNair. All three play good enough in the pocket - much better than Vick and Marshall did/do.

Winston draws way more similar play to Newton, McNabb and McNair. I think he will be more like McNabb/McNair in the NFL with a much higher ceiling. I think we should go for Winston if he falls past the 3rd pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope Marshall gets a shot. He's certainly and athlete and looks like he can make all the throws.

Did you read the tweet that Memphis posted above?

"Senior Bowl boss Phil Savage says Nick Marshall had option to get quick invite at DB. Wanted to play QB, but could get brief looks elsewhere"

I think he is not being looked at as a QB in the NFL. Playing QB in general takes years to learn. To play it in the NFL this converted CB would have to have off the charts intelligence and decision making skills to catch up.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Did you read the tweet that Memphis posted above?

"Senior Bowl boss Phil Savage says Nick Marshall had option to get quick invite at DB. Wanted to play QB, but could get brief looks elsewhere"

I think he is not being looked at as a QB in the NFL. Playing QB in general takes years to learn. To play it in the NFL this converted CB would have to have off the charts intelligence and decision making skills to catch up.
I read the tweet. Not many guys are able to fall back on their ability to play defense if QB isn't in their future.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I read the tweet. Not many guys are able to fall back on their ability to play defense if QB isn't in their future.

IMO you have it backwards. The NFL is already saying he isn't a QB. They see him as a CB.

His football IQ and overall intelligence would have to be off the charts good to be able catch up on the QB position quickly enough to play the most difficult position in all of sports at he highest level.

And lots of very good college QBs were converted to other positions. That isn't really so extraordinary.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO you have it backwards. The NFL is already saying he isn't a QB. They see him as a CB.

His football IQ and overall intelligence would have to be off the charts good to be able catch up on the QB position quickly enough to play the most difficult position in all of sports at he highest level.

And lots of very good college QBs were converted to other positions. That isn't really so extraordinary.

Look, I'm just saying that I've seen shittier QBs get a shot(Garrett Gilbert for example). I'd give Marshall a shot. Check out this throw:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11805163

Over 60 yards in the air after avoiding a sack and perfectly placed.

The guy throws a great deep ball, has a huge arm, and is very mobile. The down-side is there are plenty of (fair) questions about his ability to read coverages and his height. Still, there are plenty of other QBs with questions about their ability to read coverages who get a shot. I'd give him a shot purely based on his physical skills. Worst case scenario? Move him to DB or WR.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Look, I'm just saying that I've seen shittier QBs get a shot(Garrett Gilbert for example). I'd give Marshall a shot. Check out this throw:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11805163

Over 60 yards in the air after avoiding a sack and perfectly placed.

The guy throws a great deep ball, has a huge arm, and is very mobile. The down-side is there are plenty of (fair) questions about his ability to read coverages and his height. Still, there are plenty of other QBs with questions about their ability to read coverages who get a shot. I'd give him a shot purely based on his physical skills. Worst case scenario? Move him to DB or WR.

You may be right but for now the powers that be ont seem to agree.