53-man roster predictions - GO!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Dewey's (post-suspension(s)):

QB - Sam Bradford, Shaun Hill, Garrett Gilbert (way out on a limb, I know)
RB - Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Tre Mason, Isaiah Pead
WR - Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, Stedman Bailey
OT - Jake Long, Joe Barksdale, Mike Person
OG - Rodger Saffold, Greg Robinson, Barrett Jones, Davin Joseph
OC - Scott Wells, Tim Barnes
TE - Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey, Alex Bayer

MLB - James Laurinaitis
OLB - Alec Ogletree, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Daren Bates, Philip Steward
FS - Rodney McLeod, Mo Alexander
SS - TJ McDonald, Cody Davis
CB - Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, LaMarcus Joyner, EJ Gaines, Greg Reid, Brandon McGee
DE - Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, Ethan Westbrooks
DT - Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Aaron Donald, Alex Carrington

K - Greg Zuerlein (OMG really?!?)
P - Johnny Hekker (Yarly)
LS - Jake McQuaide

Only surprises, I think, are Reid making the roster (think he'll be a big part of the return game), Sims getting cut in favor of Westbrooks, and Bayer beating out Cunningham for the 4th TE spot.

Practice squad:
CB Marcus Roberson
S Christian Bryant
WR Austin Franklin
T Mitchell Van Dyk
WR Diontae Spencer (speeeeeeed)
C Demetrius Rhaney

Unfortunately, in this scenario I think Michael Sam gets picked up and added to someone's roster. Don't see him making it to the PS. I'm also sad to say TJ Moe isn't in the mix, although he might hold down a roster spot while Bailey's suspended. I don't think Moe is PS eligible.

Whatcha'll think?

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I predict Ray Ray gets cut, causing so much Internet traffic that ROD headquarters catches fire. Also, Austin Davis will complete a pass to the ball boy, prompting a "why Shaun Hill?" Thread on ramstalk.

Other than that, I don't think we'll see many surprises on week 1. What you have looks likely to me.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
On second thought, I bet they go Moe over Bayer because of special teams and Bailey suspension.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I predict Ray Ray gets cut, causing so much Internet traffic that ROD headquarters catches fire. Also, Austin Davis will complete a pass to the ball boy, prompting a "why Shaun Hill?" Thread on ramstalk.

Other than that, I don't think we'll see many surprises on week 1. What you have looks likely to me.
Thanks, and thanks for (inadvertently?) correcting my spelling of Hill's first name.:oops:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Thanks, and thanks for (inadvertently?) correcting my spelling of Hill's first name.:oops:

I would like to take credit for the spelling, but my phone did it for me. It's taking over. It will be making it's own roster predictions next year.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Dewey's (post-suspension(s)):

QB - Sam Bradford, Shaun Hill, Garrett Gilbert (way out on a limb, I know)
RB - Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Tre Mason, Isaiah Pead
WR - Brian Quick, Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, Stedman Bailey
OT - Jake Long, Joe Barksdale, Mike Person
TE - Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey, Alex Bayer

MLB - James Laurinaitis
OLB - Alec Ogletree, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Daren Bates, Philip Steward
CB - Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, LaMarcus Joyner, EJ Gaines, Greg Reid, Brandon McGee
DE - Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, Ethan Westbrooks
DT - Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Aaron Donald, Alex Carrington

K - Greg Zuerlein (OMG really?!?)
P - Johnny Hekker (Yarly)
LS - Jake McQuaide

Only surprises, I think, are Reid making the roster (think he'll be a big part of the return game), Sims getting cut in favor of Westbrooks, and Bayer beating out Cunningham for the 4th TE spot.

Practice squad:
CB Marcus Roberson
S Christian Bryant
WR Austin Franklin
T Mitchell Van Dyk
WR Diontae Spencer (speeeeeeed)
C Demetrius Rhaney

Unfortunately, in this scenario I think Michael Sam gets picked up and added to someone's roster. Don't see him making it to the PS. I'm also sad to say TJ Moe isn't in the mix, although he might hold down a roster spot while Bailey's suspended. I don't think Moe is PS eligible.

Whatcha'll think?
I think you nailed it up to and including T.J. Moe being a place holder (although I wish there was a way to keep him) and M. Sam not making the roster -- too slow as a 4-3 OLB and too small as a DE. I also think I'll be very happy going into the season with this roster.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Dont think Sims gets cut in favor of Westbrooks, at least not yet. They'd probably try to keep both, Sims is pretty well established and could be starting for a decent amount of teams and has a lot of versatility, he really helps bring the rotation home. Plus the Rams locked him up for some years so they obviously like him. Westbrooks is really raw, so we would be downgrading for the moment.

If we were getting rid of Sims though, I'm sure the Cowboys would trade at least a 5th for him. They need so much DL help.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
QB - Sam Bradford, Hill, Gilbert
RB - Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Tre Mason
OT - Jake Long, Joe Barksdale, Mike Person, Sean Hooey
TE - Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey

MLB - James Laurinaitis
OLB - Alec Ogletree, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Daren Bates
CB - Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, LaMarcus Joyner, Greg Reid, Brandon McGee, Marcus Roberson
DE - Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, Eugene Sims
DT - Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Aaron Donald, Alex Carrington, Ethan Westbrooks

K - Greg Zuerlein
P - Johnny Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
QB - Sam Bradford, Hill, Gilbert
RB - Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Tre Mason
OT - Jake Long, Joe Barksdale, Mike Person, Sean Hooey
TE - Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey

MLB - James Laurinaitis
OLB - Alec Ogletree, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Daren Bates
CB - Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, LaMarcus Joyner, Greg Reid, Brandon McGee, Marcus Roberson
DE - Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, Eugene Sims
DT - Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Aaron Donald, Alex Carrington, Ethan Westbrooks

K - Greg Zuerlein
P - Johnny Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide
Roberson and Reid over Gaines? I'd be surprised.
Not convinced they'll keep 2 depth tackles with Saffold and Robinson at guard, but Hooey is an intriguing one.

Interesting that you have Westbrooks listed as a DT. Would be interesting to see him as a movable piece.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I had Roberson well ahead of Gaines before the draft - obviously I was missing some character flag there - but I think once it comes to cut time, they keep the more talented player. Reid is well ahead of both in my eyes, but I may be delusional there.

Westbrooks I do think will be that versatile guy ultimately - I think he makes the 53 but never dresses - he won't be ready to contribute, but they aren't going to risk losing him.

The tackle situation depends on Long. If they are confident that he can play every snap - then they probably drop one. If a tackle goes down, Saffold moves outside and Joseph comes in. If two tackles go down, it sounds like they bring one in off the bench rather than moving GRob outside this year.

I could certainly see a 4th TE (Cunningham) (Brodine?) in the mix. Austin Pettis and Brandon McGee need to have good camps - cause they would be the next up on the chopping block.

Cody Davis isn't all that safe in my kind either - could just as easily be Daniels or one of the rooks.

At some point, Les is going to roll the dice and expose a player that he doesn't want to expose - will that player be Gilbert? Does that depend on how Bradford looks?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Thanks for the explanations. Good logic there. Curious why you left Pead off the roster entirely - if nothing else, he's been a valuable ST guy.

Totally agree that Westbrooks has a good shot at making the roster.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think Pead is done here. I hope I'm wrong, but I think he is this year's lesson to the youngsters.

I really don't see a contribution that he makes on special teams. I know he managed kickoff return for a bit, but he didn't shine there. The other STs play wasn't all that impressive either - I remember him contributing a taunting penalty - but not much more than that.

I'd love for him to have had that moment of clarity, come in and look like an early day 2 player - we could use his skillset - I just think that ship has sailed.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the explanations. Good logic there. Curious why you left Pead off the roster entirely - if nothing else, he's been a valuable ST guy.

Totally agree that Westbrooks has a good shot at making the roster.

While I am not saying you are right or wrong, why do you feel that Westbrooks has a better chance to make the 53 than Michael Sam? I get they liked him enough to give him a hefty $$$ to sign as a UDFA, but they had a chance to draft HIM, and they chose to draft Sam instead, bringing with that decision the media blitz.

I have no reason not to take them at their word, that they had a 5th round grade on Sam, and the decision to DRAFT him was a football decision. If we are to assume, (I know the risks in that), how is it that Westbrooks somehow moves ahead of him in the pecking order? Neither one of them are likely to see any real action at DE, but it just seems to me, that people are underestimating Sam's value here.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think Pead is done here. I hope I'm wrong, but I think he is this year's lesson to the youngsters.

I really don't see a contribution that he makes on special teams. I know he managed kickoff return for a bit, but he didn't shine there. The other STs play wasn't all that impressive either - I remember him contributing a taunting penalty - but not much more than that.

I'd love for him to have had that moment of clarity, come in and look like an early day 2 player - we could use his skillset - I just think that ship has sailed.

So being a gunner for the second half of the season on a record setting coverage unit, meaning there weren't many returns because of the COVERAGE, isn't "impressive"? Once again, if its purely stats you are looking at, as in number of tackles on Special Teams, then you are missing the point. There aren't going to be ANY tackles if they aren't returning kicks. Same with the Kickoffs. When Zuerlien had something near a 85% touchback rate, but someone is preventing those guys from bringing those kicks out.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
While I am not saying you are right or wrong, why do you feel that Westbrooks has a better chance to make the 53 than Michael Sam? I get they liked him enough to give him a hefty $$$ to sign as a UDFA, but they had a chance to draft HIM, and they chose to draft Sam instead, bringing with that decision the media blitz.

I have no reason not to take them at their word, that they had a 5th round grade on Sam, and the decision to DRAFT him was a football decision. If we are to assume, (I know the risks in that), how is it that Westbrooks somehow moves ahead of him in the pecking order? Neither one of them are likely to see any real action at DE, but it just seems to me, that people are underestimating Sam's value here.
I think there's a difference in athleticism between the two, with Sam on the wrong side. I'd love to be wrong - big fan of Sam as a player, and I'm also a Mizzou alum so I have the homerism going - but when you're talking about the last DL on the team, I have to think you go for athleticism and upside, which Westbrooks seems to have.

I'm not sure where Sam would play. He's not a SLB, according to OTA reports and pre-draft workout reports. He seems to live off of a great, explosive first step, but I'm not sure that is enough to go head-to-head against NFL tackles.

They could, however, value Sam's character and work ethic over Westbrooks's raw athleticism. The whole 'disappears for plays' label Westbrooks carries can be scary.

Ideally they can keep both, with one stashed on the PS. I doubt either would make it through, though, and between the two, right now, I think the upshot of Westbrooks is higher, making him more valuable as a last-man-on-the-roster player.

Then again, Sam would be a better plug-in guy on special teams, so that may swing the pendulum back to his side.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think Sam is more likely to pass through waivers and land on the practice squad than Westbrooks.

I also think it wasn't entirely a football decision to draft Sam - I think coach is a good guy and he realized the significance of Sam being drafted as opposed to signing here as an UDFA. I don't have any inside info on that - just my gut read.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like Bond as a O-Lineman....Big battle between Davis, Daniels, & ???? at the other safety spot....who's gonna step up? But the overall roster looks good by the OP....Nice job DCH.
oh-oh...Sims cut? Well, I think he plays a bunch of ST positions too, so Westbrooks better step up....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Like Bond as a O-Lineman....Big battle between Davis, Daniels, & ???? at the other safety spot....who's gonna step up? But the overall roster looks good by the OP....Nice job DCH.
I like Bond, too. He was one of the hardest to leave off my (way early) projected roster here. It's nice that we have enough depth on the O-line that I can imagine us letting a guy like him go without feeling like we've just cut off two toes.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think there's a difference in athleticism between the two, with Sam on the wrong side. I'd love to be wrong - big fan of Sam as a player, and I'm also a Mizzou alum so I have the homerism going - but when you're talking about the last DL on the team, I have to think you go for athleticism and upside, which Westbrooks seems to have.

I'm not sure where Sam would play. He's not a SLB, according to OTA reports and pre-draft workout reports. He seems to live off of a great, explosive first step, but I'm not sure that is enough to go head-to-head against NFL tackles.

They could, however, value Sam's character and work ethic over Westbrooks's raw athleticism. The whole 'disappears for plays' label Westbrooks carries can be scary.

Ideally they can keep both, with one stashed on the PS. I doubt either would make it through, though, and between the two, right now, I think the upshot of Westbrooks is higher, making him more valuable as a last-man-on-the-roster player.

Then again, Sam would be a better plug-in guy on special teams, so that may swing the pendulum back to his side.

Here's the thing for me.... Everyone says Sam is a "tweener" at 6'2 261. But then Westbrooks is listed at 6'4 267. It would appear to me, that Sam actually has a stronger base to him, and yes, that pass rush burst that I don't see from Westbrooks. I get that the combine measurables are all the rage. But when you just "watch the tape", all you see is a guy who finds a way to make plays, against the BEST competition in the country.

Whereas, Westbrooks dominated at West Texas A&M. He went undrafted for a reason. NO?

Obviously, we are all just making projections here. But does anyone really believe that if the circus that became the Michael Sam show had not been surrounding him, he would have not been drafted somewhere in round 4 or 5?

I am not projecting my black and gold here either. This is purely from a football standpoint IMO.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
So being a gunner for the second half of the season on a record setting coverage unit, meaning there weren't many returns because of the COVERAGE, isn't "impressive"? Once again, if its purely stats you are looking at, as in number of tackles on Special Teams, then you are missing the point. There aren't going to be ANY tackles if they aren't returning kicks. Same with the Kickoffs. When Zuerlien had something near a 85% touchback rate, but someone is preventing those guys from bringing those kicks out.

I didn't think he was overly impressive as a gunner, no. Now I know that gunner isn't exactly a glamorous position - you are often being punished out there by multiple guys - but I thought that Stedman Bailey, for instance, did a much better job out there. I recognize that the ST units were impressive - and lets be honest, most of the credit for that should go to the kickers themselves - but I have wanted to like Pead, have focused on him specifically out there - and no, I didn't think his ST play was overly impressive - certainly not impressive enough to give him a roster spot if he isn't going to be involved in the offense. Is there a particular game I should go back and rewatch to reconsider, or were you just impressed by the overall results of the punt and kickoff teams?