5 Dark Horse Candidates to Make the Rams Final 53

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
My two dark horse candidates to make the team are Trancia-Pasat and Imoan Claiborne. But what do I know?

As far as Cunningham is concerned I will be irate if he's cut. I went back and watched a few games on NFL Rewind and was surprised how much he stood out. I wouldn't be opposed to a new return man, but definitely not at the cost of Cunningham.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your indicators here are meaningless. If Cunningham were starting he would have more TDs. And just because he was an UDFA does not say anything about his value. In that Case Tom Brady was just a 6th round pick. And if he didnt have a broken leg he would have been drafted. Who could he start for? The Patriots have started much lesser backs than Bennie, for one. The Cowboys, The Jets, the Bucs, etc.

What I am talking about though is that when he gets the ball close to the end zone he seems to turn it up a notch. You say Bennie only averaged 3.7 yards when Mason only averaged 4.2 which is more indicative of the Rams Oline woes. I would counter and say that Bennie carried the ball in more short yardage situations when the defenses were stacking the box.

Just watch the game and you can see what I mean. BC is a hard fighting back and he is a smart player. He is not so easily replaced.

I'm confused - you said that he wouldn't be replaced by an UDFA - I was merely pointing that he himself was an UDFA, so that contention is baseless. They kept Benny over a 7th round pick in Daryl Richardson - who showed some flashes himself - as such it is not out of the realm of possibility that they keep a new RB and drop Benny.

I disagree that Benny is better than what the Cowboys (Murray????), Jets, and Bucs have started. He fumbles way too often.

He's a good 3rd down back, but he won't be a starting RB in the NFL - unless it's due to injury.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think I could really make picks on this until I see at least a little Training Camp! But Austin Davis is going to have a rough time making it this year. JMHO!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm confused - you said that he wouldn't be replaced by an UDFA - I was merely pointing that he himself was an UDFA, so that contention is baseless. They kept Benny over a 7th round pick in Daryl Richardson - who showed some flashes himself - as such it is not out of the realm of possibility that they keep a new RB and drop Benny.

I disagree that Benny is better than what the Cowboys (Murray????), Jets, and Bucs have started. He fumbles way too often.

He's a good 3rd down back, but he won't be a starting RB in the NFL - unless it's due to injury.

Cowboys don't have Murray anymore. He left for Philly. They have a "three-headed monster" of Darren McFadden, Joseph Randle, and Lance Dunbar. The Bucs have a washed-up Doug Martin and Charles Sims, who occasionally had games with negative rushing yards. The Jets might be starting Zac Stacy this season. You don't think Cunningham wouldn't start over Stacy?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Murray is no longer with the Cowboys.

Bennie is a whole lot like Kevin Faulk and the Patriots started him for several years. I think Cunningham is a stronger runner than Faulk.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cowboys don't have Murray anymore. He left for Philly. They have a "three-headed monster" of Darren McFadden, Joseph Randle, and Lance Dunbar. The Bucs have a washed-up Doug Martin and Charles Sims, who occasionally had games with negative rushing yards. The Jets might be starting Zac Stacy this season. You don't think Cunningham wouldn't start over Stacy?

Stacy, yes, the others, no

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Murray is no longer with the Cowboys.

Bennie is a whole lot like Kevin Faulk and the Patriots started him for several years. I think Cunningham is a stronger runner than Faulk.

Your quote was The Patriots have started a lot less backs for one. The Cowboys. The Bucs. The Jets.

By have started, we're talking about the past, I assumed you were referring to the other teams as well. Randle is better than BC. I'd rather have Charles Sims over BC too. Ridley and Ivory for the Jets are also better than BC.

As for the Patriots, probably too hard to figure. Shane Vereen is far better than BC. The kid that ran for 200 yards against the Colts (Jonas Gray?) probably isn't better than BC, but he was only playing because of injuries.

Kevin Faulk did a lot of other things better than Benny. He was a solid player.

All I'm saying, and I don't understand how people would disagree with this, is that anytime you have a guy that is 3rd on your depth chart, you replace him if someone better comes along. Rams fans always seem to overvalue our players. Benny has made some plays for us, but he's also made some terrible plays as well. He's an average player.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bennie Cunningham is one of those players that gets highly over rated by Ram fans. I dont think his spot is in jeopardy but certainly wouldnt be shocked if it was. I'd love to see Pead show up in shape and ready to fullfill all his promise

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Reading the posts above on the RB's specifically the discussion on Benny Cunningham & the Steven Gerwel's Bleacher Report article pointing out the possible Rams dark-horses....it points out rookie UDFA Franks & Brown. I thought the write up was good.

On our current 2015 early 90 player roster Snead/Fisher have went real heavy in RB's. I see 8 pure RB's & two that are halfers (Laskey{FB-RB}/Austin{RB-SL}) bottom line its 10 in competition here. That's more than any other time since Snead & Fisher arrived. Predicting how this is going to end up would be near impossible for me.

Benny Cunningham if I can recall it right started the season as the #1 RB. BC did not win me over with his play. BC does not run through the middle very well. He is much better off tackle outside & used in screens. He is a decent KR though. I believe that BC can be effective running up the gut but he must have excellent blocking ongoing to be effective(no joke) BC is slated to earn 585K & if released the cap hit would be $3,400,so $$ should not enter the picture. BC will enter FA'cy early next yr. The best I see BC role this season is as the #3 RB with Gurley & Mason solidly in front of him.

We have seen Snead/Fisher bring in four new RB's to beef up, push & improve this 2014 RB cadre. Obviously is welcomed from me. if I were Cunningham, Watts, Reynolds & Pead I would sure be the best I can be coming into TC. None of their spots are close to being guaranteed.

P.S. I seem to have thus gut feeling (don't know why) that Isaiah Pead will open the eyes of many of us this TC & pre season in his upgraded overall play & effort.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Reading the posts above on the RB's specifically the discussion on Benny Cunningham & the Steven Gerwel's Bleacher Report article pointing out the possible Rams dark-horses....it points out rookie UDFA Franks & Brown. I thought the write up was good.

On our current 2015 early 90 player roster Snead/Fisher have went real heavy in RB's. I see 8 pure RB's & two that are halfers (Laskey{FB-RB}/Austin{RB-SL}) bottom line its 10 in competition here. That's more than any other time since Snead & Fisher arrived. Predicting how this is going to end up would be near impossible for me.

Benny Cunningham if I can recall it right started the season as the #1 RB. BC did not win me over with his play. BC does not run through the middle very well. He is much better off tackle outside & used in screens. He is a decent KR though. I believe that BC can be effective running up the gut but he must have excellent blocking ongoing to be effective(no joke) BC is slated to earn 585K & if released the cap hit would be $3,400,so $$ should not enter the picture. BC will enter FA'cy early next yr. The best I see BC role this season is as the #3 RB with Gurley & Mason solidly in front of him.

We have seen Snead/Fisher bring in four new RB's to beef up, push & improve this 2014 RB cadre. Obviously is welcomed from me. if I were Cunningham, Watts, Reynolds & Pead I would sure be the best I can be coming into TC. None of their spots are close to being guaranteed.

P.S. I seem to have thus gut feeling (don't know why) that Isaiah Pead will open the eyes of many of us this TC & pre season in his upgraded overall play & effort.

I guess I'm a bigger Cunningham fan than you, BonifayRams.

For example, in that Chiefs game he looked like the most effective RB in a Rams uniform, although that's admittedly not saying much. Lol.

I have a ton of respect for your opinions, and since I'm curious I'm gonna just ask.

Why do you have that gut feeling about Pead opening eyes this camp?

Especially after disappointing in his first 3 years and coming off of an ACL?

I know you already said that you don't know why, but maybe there's SOMETHING you can share to explain your feeling?

I ask because I'm pretty soured on Pead, myself. But I'm trying to keep an open mind, you know?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I smell the sour odor off of Pead too!:confused:

Reason #1- Pead was a bit slow mentally coming out of College. He was slow to pick up the offense not really all that out of the norm but slower than the rest. Pead's brain should be up with the rest. Pead may not be naturally NFL bright & sure was not mature but does have a nice skill set.

#2-Its his last season under a nice $$$ 2nd rd contract. He is set to get 1,3 mil this season in comparison to Watts 510KBenny's 585K & Reynolds 585K. Your right Pead has done very little around here since he was drafted to assist the team period(n). If he was ever going to play like he played in college its going to be now.

#3- The skills & talents that he displayed in college look to be a good blend & fit in here nicely with what we have with Mason-Cunningham & Gurley. The four IMO have a great look together.

On the Benny comments....he was given the opportunity to play a big part in last yrs offense....IMO he failed to showcase what he could do when we needed him. I thought Benny's play his rookie season was much better so I was expecting him to build on that.....he did not. I was riding high on the Benny wagon early last season...he let me down.

If you have read my earlier post thoughts on the RB's last month I made a statement that 2 of the 4 rookie RB's will make the master roster, meaning some surprises in make up of our RB's.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I smell the sour odor off of Pead too!:confused:

Reason #1- Pead was a bit slow mentally coming out of College. He was slow to pick up the offense not really all that out of the norm but slower than the rest. Pead's brain should be up with the rest. Pead may not be naturally NFL bright & sure was not mature but does have a nice skill set.

#2-Its his last season under a nice $$$ 2nd rd contract. He is set to get 1,3 mil this season in comparison to Watts 510KBenny's 585K & Reynolds 585K. Your right Pead has done very little around here since he was drafted to assist the team period(n). If he was ever going to play like he played in college its going to be now.

#3- The skills & talents that he displayed in college look to be a good blend & fit in here nicely with what we have with Mason-Cunningham & Gurley. The four IMO have a great look together.

On the Benny comments....he was given the opportunity to play a big part in last yrs offense....IMO he failed to showcase what he could do when we needed him. I thought Benny's play his rookie season was much better so I was expecting him to build on that.....he did not. I was riding high on the Benny wagon early last season...he let me down.

If you have read my earlier post thoughts on the RB's last month I made a statement that 2 of the 4 rookie RB's will make the master roster, meaning some surprises in make up of our RB's.

Thanks for the reply, BonifayRams. Much appreciated.

Well, we'll soon see how the RB roster works out, won't we?

I remain a bigger Benny fan than you, and you remain a bigger Pead fan than me. It's cool.

The camp battles and preseason games will be interesting to follow, that's for sure.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know it's strange the way my brain works...This thread and the Stedman Bailey thread, makes me very excited to watch the Foles to Bailey connection this year....Back up QB? Austin Davis had his moments, but I feel if he or Keenum end up starting more than 4 games, our season is in trouble.....I sure hope that Foles is the 2013 version...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
. He is a decent KR though

Better than decent. His 27.5 average yards per return led the NFC and was 5th in the NFL overall. I don't think Bennie could beat out Mason or Gurley. But I think he was healthy he could have definitely started over Stacy.

Rams fans always seem to overvalue our players.

I resent that remark. That is not me. You just disagree on Cunninghams value. Sure he was a UDFA but if he was healthy he would have gone in rounds 3-5. He is a very good runningback. He doesn't have a lot of speed but behind a decent line he can produce as a starter at the NFL level. There is no doubt in my mind. You don't think so? Fine but don't try insulting my intelligence to prove your point because it is not provable.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Better than decent. His 27.5 average yards per return led the NFC and was 5th in the NFL overall. I don't think Bennie could beat out Mason or Gurley. But I think he was healthy he could have definitely started over Stacy.

I resent that remark. That is not me. You just disagree on Cunninghams value. Sure he was a UDFA but if he was healthy he would have gone in rounds 3-5. He is a very good runningback. He doesn't have a lot of speed but behind a decent line he can produce as a starter at the NFL level. There is no doubt in my mind. You don't think so? Fine but don't try insulting my intelligence to prove your point because it is not provable.

Your point is not provable either - because these are both just our opinions. My remark was that Rams fans, not you specifically, always seem to overrate our players. Your tone in your initial posts was condescending - don't dish it out if you cant take it. I didn't insult your intelligence - I believe you are overrating Cunningham. I'd be willing to bet that, if polled, most Rams fans would agree that you are overrating him.

I didn't say it was a bad thing to overrate players. I overrate a few myself (I am a Rams fan and as such, I myself am in that category).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Your point is not provable either - because these are both just our opinions. My remark was that Rams fans, not you specifically, always seem to overrate our players. Your tone in your initial posts was condescending - don't dish it out if you cant take it. I didn't insult your intelligence - I believe you are overrating Cunningham. I'd be willing to bet that, if polled, most Rams fans would agree that you are overrating him.

I didn't say it was a bad thing to overrate players. I overrate a few myself (I am a Rams fan and as such, I myself am in that category).

"No way. How do you say good bye to Bennie for a rookie UDFA. Bennie has the best nose for the endzone on the entire team. He could start for teams."

I didn't intend for this post to sound condescending. I really didn't think it would come off as such. Sorry.

lockdnram21

Legend
1. Benny would not start for teams. Please name me one that he would start for?

2. I would contend that Mason has a better nose for the end zone, and Benny only averaged 3.7 yards per carry last year. Not exactly lighting it up.

3. He himself was an undrafted free agent...so replacing him with such is not out of the realm of possibility

4. He has as many career fumbles as he does rushing TDs. That's not good.

I think his true value is in the 3rd down back role - KR was good, but I would prefer more of a threat back there. I don't ever see him returning a kick for a TD. You can't teach speed, and Benny's is just average.
benny is just as fast as mason but bigger.