49ers are on the decline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I try to be, but I am analytical before anything. The 9er's were a play away from appearing in back to back Superbowls, and they had their way against us last year. I understand wanting to justify the Rams changing their fortunes this year, but I'm not ready to anoint this the year of the Rams on the backs of teams that beat us like rented mules last year.

This thread had nothing to do with that.

Every single year there is a few teams that were close that fell off. I see a lot of things going on with the 49ers that suggests this has potential to happen to them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would like to agree but they are still too deep and motivated. From a motivation standpoint they have come close, the hunger is still there and probably more motivated than most teams because they know they are that close. They are pretty deep in terms of where there injuries are. Quinton Dial and Tank Carradine have been been beasts so far this year. They have more weapons this year with Johnson, old friend B Lloyd and potential with Ellington. The only concern they have right now is the offensive line. They need to get Boone back and Davis should be ready for week 1. It could take a few weeks for the line to gell if they are filling spots with Boone and Davis not getting healthy.

I actually see more holes with Seattle and they seem like a team that likes to read there own headlines.
SF corners are seriously unproven....Lets see if Reid is for real at the safety spot. Bowman was/is their best LB. Alson Smith has to miss a few games. I like Dial & Carradine too, but they have to prove it in games first. No pass just cause they have talent. The 9ers are weaker than the Hawks at this moment in time. In my opinion....where's all the PFF guys/believers at? What does the holy grail PFF say? after 1 preseason game...lol

cracengl

Rookie
You are a bucket of optimism aren't you?
I don't think you have to be a pessimist to give the 9ers their due. Personally, I'd prefer the Rams have a good year by beating good teams, not teams that turned to crap. But aside from that, you have to be realistic about them. They have flaws like any team and they could be overrated...or they could be just as good as people think they are. If they've used the last few years to draft for depth to replace their injured guys, they may not drop off as much as we all hope.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
IF we have people who check out their Blogs, I think it's entirely possible they have Fans checking us out!

And? How does that translate to the games being played? C'mon...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I realize that it was just a preseason game that they played last night... but their defense looked poor on the 1st Baltimore drive when all of the 1s were in for both teams.

I could definitely see the whiny bitches taking several steps back this year.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's likely Aldon Smith and Boweman will not play in our first meeting. That's huge!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm not too sure about the "close" part. I mean, how many teams go to the Superbowl, lose, and then fall apart? How many teams get close twice and then fall apart? It happens all the time.

Not getting it done is bad for you.

Fair points and your right, but most of the players are still intact and they know this could be there last chance as a unit, that's where my point came from. I don't know for sure but most teams that have fallen apart have lost a lot of player also.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think their defense has lost some key members...Not sure what that OG is gonna do, but I still see a potent offense. I need to see how it washes out by week 4. We should be able to move the ball on them. But their offense still needs to be respected.
Respected but not feared IMO. Not saying that is where you are going with this but there is a difference.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
SF corners are seriously unproven....Lets see if Reid is for real at the safety spot. Bowman was/is their best LB. Alson Smith has to miss a few games. I like Dial & Carradine too, but they have to prove it in games first. No pass just cause they have talent. The 9ers are weaker than the Hawks at this moment in time. In my opinion....where's all the PFF guys/believers at? What does the holy grail PFF say? after 1 preseason game...lol

Your right about Reid, Ward and all their DB's for that matter. Good points.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The Niners don't look as daunting as they did 2 years ago....or even last year. And the guys that really have been the bell cows for them are a bit older, and in the case of one player that has hurt us more than any.....right at the Mendoza line for RBs. They might still be the team all the media types are crowing about.....but I think you are seeing the first signs of a team in decline. Too many players start looking out for themselves. Too many players are nearing that point where their play doesn't measure up to the previous years. And a few players, when thrust into the lime light, can't carry as big of burden as needed to stay on the same level. Now maybe I'm wrong......but it will take about 4 1/2 months before anyone can say yay or nay.

Game 2 we held their running game to under 2.8 yards per attempt. We gave them 7 points because Fisher got pissed off at not being able to do anything on O. If we can hold them to 16 points with Sam back at QB we can beat them or anyone else.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Desperate veteran teams like SF that are built to win now usually either WIN NOW or fall off a cliff. They've been knocking on the door for a few seasons now and that is NOT sustainable.
I agree that our year may still be a year away unless our talented young Rams catch fire early, stay healthy and get some breaks...AND San Francisco, Seattle and/or Arizona falls off a cliff.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If you can't see my point, I can't explain it to you!
I see your point. I just think it's irrelevant and kid of silly is all.

What their fans think of what Rams fans think isn't bulletin board material...even if a 49er player looks at a 49er forum and sees something a Ram FAN said it isn't going to be the motivation that drives him. It just isn't. If it is, he isn't going to be playing in the NFL very long.

If our opinions motivated opposing teams to beat our team then I'd suggest it's time to just shut this and every Rams forum down...because we'd be doomed.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I try to be, but I am analytical before anything. The 9er's were a play away from appearing in back to back Superbowls, and they had their way against us last year. I understand wanting to justify the Rams changing their fortunes this year, but I'm not ready to anoint this the year of the Rams on the backs of teams that beat us like rented mules last year.
They beat us like rented mules in 2011, too. But what happened in 2012? This team is better than the 2012 version. It's better than the 2013 version with the Kellen Clemens add-on.

I do not fear the 49ers.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Desperate veteran teams like SF that are built to win now usually either WIN NOW or fall off a cliff. They've been knocking on the door for a few seasons now and that is NOT sustainable.
I agree that our year may still be a year away unless our talented young Rams catch fire early, stay healthy and get some breaks...AND San Francisco, Seattle and/or Arizona falls off a cliff.
I hear them knocking. Someone open the damn door!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I see your point. I just think it's irrelevant and kid of silly is all.

What their fans think of what Rams fans think isn't bulletin board material...even if a 49er player looks at a 49er forum and sees something a Ram FAN said it isn't going to be the motivation that drives him. It just isn't. If it is, he isn't going to be playing in the NFL very long.

If our opinions motivated opposing teams to beat our team then I'd suggest it's time to just shut this and every Rams forum down...because we'd be doomed.
Clearly you haven't seen their bulletin board. It's loaded with my posts. :cool: