401k vs Corona virus panic

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stock market made me feel better today.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
That’s exactly why the world leans on the healthcare of the USA. The free market here develops medicine more than anywhere else.

Sucks that the price of meds is so high. But hey. That’s another topic of discussion.

TexasRam

Legend
its Just another hoax.

hollar when a large percent of healthy people start dropping dead.

it’s mostly hitting those with compromised immune systems.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
its Just another hoax.

Wow!

Did you really just post that.

A fucking Hoax.

I suggest you get your info from more reliable sources.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Uh...which first world nations AREN'T involved, exactly?

Early on the US wasn't involved.

I don't know when the WHO stepped in either.

That’s exactly why the world leans on the healthcare of the USA. The free market here develops medicine more than anywhere else.

Agreed our nation leads the way.

But it isn't like the US can fend off these potentially horrible outbreaks all by itself.

If there wasn't "teamwork" a few of them could have been fucking disastrous. Ebola had a death rate of 80% or whatever IIRC and had it not been fenced in that shit could have been this era's Bubonic Plague.

its Just another hoax.

People dying is a hoax LOL.

OK so what percentage of healthy people dying would make you say "hey WTF someone should do something about this!".

And fuck those people with compromised immune systems, who cares if they die, maybe they deserved in the first place!!! Fuck them anyway.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Wow!

Did you really just post that.

A fucking Hoax.

I suggest you get your info from more reliable sources.

The virus isnt a hoax, but the media over reaction is total bullshit. The flu is still killing more people daily than the coronavirus and its more widespread. But the media isnt trying to create a panic over the flu, because people already accept the fact that the flu is going to kill some people with compromised immune systems.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
More than the flu.
(12k - 61k deaths annually)

Well, using your figures, we may already be there.
What's it been, 3 or 4 months since this has gone public ? Over 3000 reported dead now with several Chinese border countries not reporting.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I personally feel awful about/for any human being who has ever suffered/died from anything that has ever happened in the course of human history.
Including the thousands of people that died in the last month, that no one heard about...
...except of course Kobe and his daughter.
Carry on media, carry on.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, using your figures, we may already be there.
What's it been, 3 or 4 months since this has gone public ? Over 3000 reported dead now with several Chinese border countries not reporting.
3,000 is a lot less than 12-61,000. That’s also largely based on data from China and their initial response to it was horrid. But let me get to my point using influenza as the example. In the early 19th century, when it was first discovered that influenza was a *thing*, (then, the Spanish flu) it killed millions globally. Now it continues to kill tens of thousands annually. Scientists - in this age - have already replicated this virus making identification and treatment possible. Unfortunately, it may kill many thousands more in impoverished Countries, and the already vulnerable (compromised immune systems) will likely fall victim around the world as well. BUT. Are we, globally, equipped to face this new iteration of influenza? The answer is yes. Even in the infancy of this outbreak, Scientists took all of a couple of months to identify it, replicate it, and develop a treatment plan.

We have infectious disease centers and Scientists adept in genomics, microbiology, and immunology working around the clock to develop ways to keep it from replicating. Yet the media will only tell us that people are dying from it. Well no shit. That's what viruses do. That's what the flu does. There are already 14,000+ *flu* deaths in the U.S. this flu season alone. That aside, how about a little air time for Andrzej Joachimiak or Karla Satchell and the work they're doing to help put a lid on this thing? Nah. That doesn't sell. Order and calm don't sell clicks and they don't pump up the value of advertisement. And that's the reason I pay zero attention to what the media is trying to sell me - on ALL fronts. That's also why I may seem unfazed by the panic surrounding this latest "existential threat to humanity" - in an endless stream of existential threats. Largest market point loss, followed by the largest recorded gain, tells me people are way too reactionary, and that’s fueled by the media.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3,000 is a lot less than 12-61,000. That’s also largely based on data from China and their initial response to it was horrid. But let me get to my point using influenza as the example. In the early 19th century, when it was first discovered that influenza was a *thing*, (then, the Spanish flu) it killed millions globally. Now it continues to kill tens of thousands annually. Scientists - in this age - have already replicated this virus making identification and treatment possible. Unfortunately, it may kill many thousands more in impoverished Countries, and the already vulnerable (compromised immune systems) will likely fall victim around the world as well. BUT. Are we, globally, equipped to face this new iteration of influenza? The answer is yes. Even in the infancy of this outbreak, Scientists took all of a couple of months to identify it, replicate it, and develop a treatment plan.

We have infectious disease centers and Scientists adept in genomics, microbiology, and immunology working around the clock to develop ways to keep it from replicating. Yet the media will only tell us that people are dying from it. Well no shit. That's what viruses do. That's what the flu does. There are already 14,000+ *flu* deaths in the U.S. this flu season alone. That aside, how about a little air time for Andrzej Joachimiak or Karla Satchell and the work they're doing to help put a lid on this thing? Nah. That doesn't sell. Order and calm don't sell clicks and they don't pump up the value of advertisement. And that's the reason I pay zero attention to what the media is trying to sell me - on ALL fronts. That's also why I may seem unfazed by the panic surrounding this latest "existential threat to humanity" - in an endless stream of existential threats. Largest market point loss, followed by the largest recorded gain, tells me people are way too reactionary, and that’s fueled by the media.
And of course, you have to compare apples to apples. 3000 is a global number, 12k-61k is a US number. The global number to compare is 600k. So 3000 in 3 months vs 600,000 in 12. And then you have to realize the 3000 is really a subset of the 600,000. (Flu related deaths)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

That ^^. If is bleeds it leads and in this new 24/7/365 "news" and social media onslaught, it's all about the clicks. Responsible journalism and reporting has for the most part been relegated to the back page....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
3,000 is a lot less than 12-61,000. That’s also largely based on data from China and their initial response to it was horrid. But let me get to my point using influenza as the example. In the early 19th century, when it was first discovered that influenza was a *thing*, (then, the Spanish flu) it killed millions globally. Now it continues to kill tens of thousands annually.

No one is arguing about the dangers of influenza, it's been around for a long time and most people now accept its menace. Coronavirus is relatively new, only months old to much of the human population, science still can't provide the answers people seek on preventative care or how soon before a vaccine becomes readily available. While some rail on about media saturation or over-coverage, others believe they are just trying to do their jobs in keeping us informed about a new virus which has killed thousands in a relatively short time span. No one knows the end result of all the speculation, only that it's spreading rapidly and people are dying.
You gave the 12,000 annual as the low number for a willingness to call this thing a pandemic, i'm just saying we have likely reached that figure considering 3000 are already dead in 3-4 months while many countries bordering China like No.Korea, Russia, India & Southeast Asia haven't provided numbers as their societies & media are either far more closed off than our own or that they haven't the resources to test properly. China itself has been accused of sending artificial counts, so without outside sources we have little choice than to accept the figures already given.
If a vaccine is truly 12 to 18 months away, a lot can happen between now and then, expecting people not to show concern over their family's well being seems short sighted. Some may choose to label the run on grocery shelves as a sign of panic, I see it as a natural progression for those wishing to be prepared, ... real panic is when people are so desperate that they resort to violence. I just hope the manufacturers on the supply side can keep up with the demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And of course, you have to compare apples to apples. 3000 is a global number, 12k-61k is a US number. The global number to compare is 600k. So 3000 in 3 months vs 600,000 in 12. And then you have to realize the 3000 is really a subset of the 600,000. (Flu related deaths)

Well the population of the world versus the US matters in this part of the discussion.

And also the flu versus a "new" strand or virus is always an unknown.

Going back to Ebola.

The likelihood of it having a dramatic effect on 1st world countries was unlikely. But had it not been fenced in the amount of lives lost in Africa would have been gigantically huge and off the charts.

Anytime there is a potential threat to explode it has to be put down.

There will be more of these and the 1st world will have to respond to keep them down. The 3rd world can't do it even though it originates there all of the time.

A big enough part of the worlds population lives in areas with little to no sanitation, no environmental protections, no health care system to speak of, and in a lot of cases not even running water and toilets. That is a essentially a fucking gigantic petri dish.

Eventually one of these is going to be like a plague. And that's EXACTLY why you treat all of them like it COULD be and snuff it out.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I make my living off the Evening News
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
It's interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that Crap is King
Give us dirty laundry

------------------
A song that is far more relevant and true today than it was in 1982 from Don Henley. Would have posted the song instead cuz its a jam....but for some reason[cough] this song keeps getting yanked from youtube and other online public outlets. You can find and listen to any other Henley tune but not this one. Weird huh.

I'm not here to tell ANYONE what to do or think...but US media is poison. The less you pay attention to it, the more transparent the bullshit is when you do take a peek at it every now & then.

Wash your hands & make sure your wife or girlfriend washes hers too (y)

Vapor

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Vapor
Seems to be affecting the old and the sick the most. So far no young children even have it.
Just heard that on the news. Take it for what it worth...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Over 88,000 infected and over 3,000 dead.
That's a 3% lethality rate Les, and when you consider numbers coming from China it means we don't know how many were infected (probably far more) which would lower that rate considerably.

Our CDC who knows far more than any of the media outlets is coordinating our response and seem to think that outside of the scary newness of the outbreak our response is appropriate. So for me at least the reactions coming from some of the media are overreactions and largely based in ignorance and politicking.

I don't think it's wise to go apeshit every time we might have a pandemic. Let's identify it as such first.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
No one is arguing about the dangers of influenza, it's been around for a long time and most people now accept its menace. Coronavirus is relatively new, only months old to much of the human population, science still can't provide the answers people seek on preventative care or how soon before a vaccine becomes readily available. While some rail on about media saturation or over-coverage, others believe they are just trying to do their jobs in keeping us informed about a new virus which has killed thousands in a relatively short time span. No one knows the end result of all the speculation, only that it's spreading rapidly and people are dying.
You gave the 12,000 annual as the low number for a willingness to call this thing a pandemic, i'm just saying we have likely reached that figure considering 3000 are already dead in 3-4 months while many countries bordering China like No.Korea, Russia, India & Southeast Asia haven't provided numbers as their societies & media are either far more closed off than our own or that they haven't the resources to test properly. China itself has been accused of sending artificial counts, so without outside sources we have little choice than to accept the figures already given.
If a vaccine is truly 12 to 18 months away, a lot can happen between now and then, expecting people not to show concern over their family's well being seems short sighted. Some may choose to label the run on grocery shelves as a sign of panic, I see it as a natural progression for those wishing to be prepared, ... real panic is when people are so desperate that they resort to violence. I just hope the manufacturers on the supply side can keep up with the demand.

The point is the flu still kills more people daily globally than the coronavirus has killed this year. When you take in to account that about 80% of the people that contract coronavirus never even know they were ill, thus never tested, never confirmed. The mortality rate drops below 1%, influenza with its vaccines still kills more people than coronavirus. The people that coronavirus is most likely to cause problems for are the same people influenza causes problems for, those with compromised immune systems. Thats not to say they dont matter, it just means the majority of the public doesnt have much to worry about, many that do contract coronavirus never need any special treatment or medical care. Its a virus so there is no medication that will cure it, just like the flu it has to run its course and your body will develop the antibodies to get over it. The flu vaccine does not prevent the flu, it just helps your body fight it off quicker. Now if it were like ebola and had a very high mortality rate, there would be more need to get on top of it and keep it confined, but it isnt a serious threat to the lives of everyone that contracts it. So the media needs to stop acting like it is.