OFFICIAL 2024 Training Camp / P.S. News, Notes, Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

Rams training camp: Updates from Day 1 of practice​

Story by Cameron DaSilva

Training camp is officially underway. The Los Angeles Rams kicked things off on Wednesday with their first practice of camp at Loyola Marymount, with Matthew Stafford leading the way fresh off his newly agreed-to contract.

Sean McVay said Tuesday that the Rams have perfect attendance for the start of camp, with every player present and accounted for. They avoided any potential holdout by Stafford by getting an adjusted contract done Tuesday, which is great news for both parties.

Below are live updates from reporters on the ground at LMU for Day 1 of practice.

View: https://x.com/StuJRams/status/1816248913952649498

View: https://x.com/RLAndersonLAFB/status/1816253103664181526

View: https://x.com/RLAndersonLAFB/status/1816253701201486023

View: https://x.com/AdamGrosbard/status/1816255338112520226

View: https://x.com/JB_Long/status/1816259141289271349

View: https://x.com/RLAndersonLAFB/status/1816269657764241599

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Matthew Stafford wrapped up the first day of training camp for the Los Angeles Rams at Loyola Marymount University by lofting a touchdown pass during a red-zone drill​

• By DAN GREENSPAN - Associated Press
Whether the throw would have happened without the financial adjustment the Super Bowl-winning quarterback hashed out with the team on Tuesday, Stafford wasn’t saying…

The resolution allowed Stafford to focus on the field, where the variety and versatility of the Rams’ offense was on full display. Stafford threw passes to standout wide receivers Cooper Kupp and Puka Nacua and handed the ball off to 1,100-yard rusher Kyren Williams and rookie running back Blake Corum.

Stafford also featured tight ends Davis Allen and Colby Parkinson in the passing game.
Allen, entering his second season out of Clemson, was the target of Stafford’s last throw of the day into the end zone. Parkinson signed a three-year contract with the Rams in March after playing his first four seasons for NFC West rival Seattle.

They will be featured extensively in camp with longtime starter Tyler Higbee on the physically unable to perform list after sustaining a serious knee injury in the NFC wild-card loss to the Detroit Lions in January.

“I think that room is a really pretty, pretty awesome room when you look at it top to bottom,” Stafford said. “It’s been great watching Davis mature and come into his own. ... Always liked (Colby’s) game from afar, and it’s been really fun to get to work with him.”

Stafford threw for 3,965 yards and 24 touchdowns against 11 interceptions in 15 games last season despite significant roster turnover because of salary cap issues. Those changes created opportunities for new contributors to emerge, to say nothing of Nacua, a fifth-round draft pick who surprisingly broke out as one of the most dangerous receivers in the NFL.

With those pieces all back together, Stafford expects the Rams to sustain and build on their offensive success.

“It’s one thing to have continuity,” Stafford said. “It’s another thing to have continuity with a bunch of really good players, so that’s a plus, too.”

NOTES: NT Kobie Turner did not practice because of a groin strain. “We’re going to be smart with him,” coach Sean McVay said. ... RG Kevin Dotson left practice because of an apparent left foot injury but McVay did not believe it was anything serious. ... CB Tre’Davious White was a limited participant as he works his way back from the torn Achilles tendon he sustained in Week 4 last season with the Buffalo Bills.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect a rise in the focus on physicality this year. Here's your top group last season in yards per rush attempt. Notice something interesting? 3 of the top 5 were in the conference championship games. Both those games and the Super Bowl were close. And the Super Bowl went to OT.

Now of course there are many elements that go into who is represented in the title game. However I expect an upsurge in the focus on the physical elements of the game. Because, after all, if you want to see how the league is trending just look at what McVay is doing.

1721895485571.png

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

6 takeaways from Rams' 1st practice of training camp​

Story by Cameron DaSilva

The Los Angeles Rams are back in action, opening up training camp at Loyola Marymount with their first practice on Wednesday. It's very early in camp and it's only one practice, but there are some things we can take away from Day 1.

Kyren Williams appears to be full speed, Tre'Davious White is recovering well from his Achilles tear and Kobie Turner is being held out of practice for now due to a groin injury suffered before camp.

Here are six takeaways from Wednesday's opening practice

Kobie Turner sidelined by groin injury​

Turner didn’t participate in practice due to a groin injury he suffered while training this offseason. He isn’t on the PUP list and Sean McVay doesn’t expect him to land on it, but the team is going to be smart with him during training camp. He did take part in the walkthrough, which is a good sign.

Tight ends stand out​

Based on reports, it was a good day for both Davis Allen and Colby Parkinson. They, along with Hunter Long, are filling in while Tyler Higbee recovers from his knee injury, and they could be important pieces on offense. Parkinson made a nice leaping grab in the end zone at one point, while Allen capped off practice with a touchdown catch from Matthew Stafford on the final play.

Tre’Davious White will have workload managed but full speed when on field​

White is working his way back from a torn Achilles suffered last October and the Rams aren’t going to push him too hard out of the gate. He did practice on Wednesday and was full speed when he was on the field, but his workload is being managed so as not to aggravate his injury.

"We'll be modified with his workload, but when he's out there he is full speed,” McVay said. “To say that he's going to take a hundred percent of the reps…we'll be smart in terms of that work progression for him."

Puka Nacua making plays​

Nacua picked up right where he left off as a playmaker for the Rams, making a leaping catch over Russ Yeast along the sideline.

McVay liked what he saw from the second-year receiver, too, who came into camp in great shape after working out with Kupp all offseason.

"Puka looked great. I thought…you can see he's really done a great job of working throughout the offseason. He and Cooper (Kupp) have stayed on a really disciplined, detailed program. (He) came in in shape. He looks physically sturdy. I thought it was a good start. The one thing is, it's the first day of training camp. He really started off on the right foot…made some great plays.

Kyren Williams showing no limitations from foot injury​

Williams suffered a foot injury during the Rams’ offseason program, which caused him to miss most of OTAs in the spring. He was expected to be sidelined until camp, but he returned sooner than expected and looks to be full speed in practice already. McVay sees no lingering effects from that injury.

"What did you think today? Looked pretty good to me,” McVay said. “I said on a couple of runs, 'Man, did I miss you in the offseason.’ What I thought was cool is he's got such a good feel, such an ownership, such a good pace through the hole and then I thought that elevated the rest of the backs. I thought RB Blake Corum had some really good runs. I thought RB Ronnie Rivers (and) RB Boston Scott (did well). It starts with Kyren and it was great to have him out here. He's just got such a good energy. This guy loves playing football. I love working with him and certainly didn't see anything that looked any different than the stud that we know."

Russ Yeast, Cobie Durant getting first-team reps​

It’s very early in camp and the Rams are taking it slow with White, but videos shared by the team can give us some insight into the rotation in the secondary. Yeast and Durant both ran with the first-team in practice, an encouraging sign for both players. Even if Durant’s playing time was due to White’s absence on some plays, Durant appears to be the next-man up ahead of Derion Kendrick and others.

Yeast seemed to be on the field next to Kamren Curl as a starting safety, with Quentin Lake also getting first-team reps in the slot. Yeast is battling John Johnson III, Kamren Kinchens and even Jason Taylor II for the second starting safety spot.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tight ends stand out​

Based on reports, it was a good day for both Davis Allen and Colby Parkinson. They, along with Hunter Long, are filling in while Tyler Higbee recovers from his knee injury, and they could be important pieces on offense. Parkinson made a nice leaping grab in the end zone at one point, while Allen capped off practice with a touchdown catch from Matthew Stafford on the final play.
If these TEs are ready to break out it just so happens there's a certain QB capable of feeding them as much as they can handle.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I wonder if Lake could step up this year with Kendrick going down and maybe not just play in the slot but also sometimes step outside to CB? Idk haha

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just pair Lake with Jones in camp. If he shows consistency vs the run we'll have something.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I didn't see the video but a tweet about Fiske looking good on a play that would be a sack in a real game. That is a good sign.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I didn't see the video but a tweet about Fiske looking good on a play that would be a sack in a real game. That is a good sign.
Unless your the OL that got beat. But I do hope he has a bit of a game wrecker ability on Sundays.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Seems to be a lot of speculation about Lake's role, but from what Jourdan is saying.. it looks like it's him and Curl right now. That's a couple of versatile safeties.. and I think that's a big hint on what the D will be doing.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Safety has a long way to go because this year there should be good competition. This isn't a good year to assume what they start camp with will be the eventual duo. Only one who's a good bet to be in that pairing is Curl.

From there they have JJ who has starting talent and knows the defense cold. Lake who should be ready to make a move in year two. Kinchens who brings range and instincts for what they want to do. Yeast who has had some seasoning, even if he hasn't quite risen yet. That's three, maybe four guys vying for a spot.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

Earlier this spring Rams starting linebacker Ernest Jones missed practice time due to an injury.

“He’s had a little issue with his knee, but we expect him – he’s making good progress,” Sean McVay said. “With the offseason winding down, the goal is to be ready to go and feel good for training camp.”

But today, Jones was a full go.

“Guys love him. I mean, when you’re around Ernest, there’s just this magnetism and charisma that he has,” McVay told The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue during the post-practice press conference, “he made a couple of plays out here, and it was really good to be able to see 53 out there leading the way today.”

Ernest Jones Makes His Presence Known On Day 1 Of Los Angeles Rams Training Camp​

Ernest Jones made one of the biggest plays of the day, in fact. On a passing play, Matthew Stafford was under pressure from the pass rush, the pocket collapsed, forcing Stafford to step up in the pocket when he fired a laser over the middle of the field. Jones read the play perfectly which led to a leaping interception. This elicited the largest cheer of the day from the defensive sideline.

Ernest Jones’ Stock Rising​

Jones is in the final year of his rookie contract. The club has expressed interest in extending him beyond this year, but little has been made public about where the two parties are in the negotiations. If the deal is done Jones will be in rarified air in the Rams house — he would be the first player extended beyond his rookie contract since Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen. Cooper Kupp, Tyler Higbee, and Rob Havenstein are the only others still on the team with that designation.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Love what Jones brings to the team. Hope the team and he find mutually acceptable terms on an extension.

Could see the team going LB in next year's draft to turn a weakness into a strength much like they did with D-line and edge this year. Jones would be a great anchor on the second level and a respectable mentor for younger players.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
USATSI_23346340.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

July 26, 2024 6:51 am PT

6 takeaways from Rams' 2nd practice of training camp​

Training camp rolled along on Thursday with the Los Angeles Rams holding their second practice of the week in front of a packed crowd at Loyola Marymount. Young players are standing out a bit when given opportunities and veterans such as Matthew Stafford and Cooper Kupp look like their usual selves, which bodes well for the Rams heading into the 2024 season.

Here are six takeaways from the second practice of training camp.

Kamren Curl already standing out​

USATSI_22454949.jpg

Jamie Germano / USA TODAY NETWORK
Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reported this week that the Rams’ coaching staff has been impressed by Curl in the early portions of OTAs and camp, which is certainly encouraging. He was one of their key free-agent signings so for him to be standing out already, that’s a great sign for the secondary as a whole.
He made an impressive pass breakup late in practice, going across the field to knock away a pass intended for Demarcus Robinson.

Jordan Whittington getting first-team reps​

USATSI_23346336.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
The wide receiver rotation is still being worked out, as is every other position group, but it’s worth noting that Whittington got some first-team reps on Thursday. And he appeared to take advantage, making a catch down the left sideline after beating Tre’Davious White, who was in coverage.

Cornerback group suffers another hit​

USATSI_23346335.jpg

Sean McVay confirmed that Derion Kendrick did tear his ACL in the first practice on Wednesday, and the cornerback group might’ve suffered another blow. On the final play of practice, Williams pulled up while running after suffering what McVay called a hamstring injury. McVay didn’t know the severity of it, but hopefully it’s nothing serious.
“I’m not sure. Yeah, he felt it in his hamstring,” McVay said.
McVay didn’t rule out the possibility of bringing back Ahkello Witherspoon in wake of these two injuries.

No concerns about Kevin Dotson’s health​

USATSI_22096684.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
Dotson left practice early on Wednesday due to an undisclosed injury but he returned to the field for Day 2. McVay noted after Thursday’s practice that Dotson felt something in his toe so the team wanted to be cautious, but he’s good to go moving forward.
“Yeah, he just felt a little something in his toe yesterday so he was back out there today,” he said. “When I asked him before practice ‘How [are] you feeling?’ He said he is totally fine. So I said, ‘Why the heck did you miss a little bit yesterday then? No, but he’s feeling good.”

Jared Verse and Braden Fiske making their presence felt​

USATSI_23346341.jpg

Verse and Fiske have barely gotten their feet wet as NFL players, being in their first week of training camp. And even though it’s only been two days, McVay likes what he’s seen from the two rookies out of Florida State. The coach said after Thursday’s practice that both guys are making their presence felt and it’s easy to see how much they love football every time they take the field.
I thought Jared Verse, I really felt him today. I thought he showed up in some pass-rush situations yesterday. I thought he did again today, but I thought he was played more complete in both phases just from watching him from the sideline,” McVay said. “I’ve felt Braden Fiske these first couple [of] days. He has a great demeanor. Both of those guys are exactly what we’re looking for and I want to just continue to see them, grow, get comfortable with what we’re asking of them, but also be themselves because that’s one of the reasons that we love them just the way that they’re innately wired. They love this game. You can see they have done a really nice job. We’re excited about them.”

Matthew Stafford (unsurprisingly) looks sharp​

USATSI_23406994.jpg

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports
This is Year 16 for the veteran quarterback so he should be used to slinging the ball around in training camp by now. It doesn’t take very long for him to look like he’s in midseason form and it appears he’s already reached that point. According to Gilberto Manzano, Stafford made several eye-popping throws, including a sidearm pass to Demarcus Robinson and no-lookers to both Puka Nacua and Cooper Kupp.

View: https://x.com/RamsNFL/status/1816640778204250575

View: https://x.com/GManzano24/status/1816641767514755103

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

Earlier this spring Rams starting linebacker Ernest Jones missed practice time due to an injury.

“He’s had a little issue with his knee, but we expect him – he’s making good progress,” Sean McVay said. “With the offseason winding down, the goal is to be ready to go and feel good for training camp.”

But today, Jones was a full go.

“Guys love him. I mean, when you’re around Ernest, there’s just this magnetism and charisma that he has,” McVay told The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue during the post-practice press conference, “he made a couple of plays out here, and it was really good to be able to see 53 out there leading the way today.”

Ernest Jones Makes His Presence Known On Day 1 Of Los Angeles Rams Training Camp​

Ernest Jones made one of the biggest plays of the day, in fact. On a passing play, Matthew Stafford was under pressure from the pass rush, the pocket collapsed, forcing Stafford to step up in the pocket when he fired a laser over the middle of the field. Jones read the play perfectly which led to a leaping interception. This elicited the largest cheer of the day from the defensive sideline.

Ernest Jones’ Stock Rising​

Jones is in the final year of his rookie contract. The club has expressed interest in extending him beyond this year, but little has been made public about where the two parties are in the negotiations. If the deal is done Jones will be in rarified air in the Rams house — he would be the first player extended beyond his rookie contract since Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen. Cooper Kupp, Tyler Higbee, and Rob Havenstein are the only others still on the team with that designation.
Those players all deserved it as does Jones so get it done