OFFICIAL 2024 Training Camp / News, Notes, Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2 weeks from today is Preseason Game #1.

jason sudeikis dancing GIF

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny thing is he ended up being a Ram if I recall right ?

No he ended up being suspended and never played again.

Actually I have no idea if he played again. He was never relevant though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No he ended up being suspended and never played again.

Actually I have no idea if he played again. He was never relevant though.

Yeah - maybe there was a trade or he might have been available? Maybe it was like do you know how lucky The Rams got not drafting him ?
—There were so many bad drafts over the years.I drink so much Kool-aide always hope I’m wrong with who I wanted The Rams to draft over the years.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Pads go on today.

Now it gets very real for players and coaches alike.

Can’t wait for those juicy camp reports.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Well super bummer, Thursdays practice moved from 3:30-6:40 to 1-3pm. Not great for the folks that are flying in for that practice.... We actually land at 12:46

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Well super bummer, Thursdays practice moved from 3:30-6:40 to 1-3pm. Not great for the folks that are flying in for that practice.... We actually land at 12:46
That just plain sucks! But it is a short hop from LAX if that is where you are landing. IF you're getting a rental car I would give it a try straight from the airport.

Tano

Legend
That just plain sucks! But it is a short hop from LAX if that is where you are landing. IF you're getting a rental car I would give it a try straight from the airport.
But unfortunately it takes 30 to 45 minutes to get off the plane and get your luggage and then another 15 to 30 minutes to get out of the airport with your rental car. Earliest they would get there is 2 PM more likely 2:30 PM.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams Training Camp: Tyler Johnson Makes Case for a Roster Spot with Strong Camp Performance​

The Los Angeles Rams training camp kicked off its second week in pads. It was scheduled to be a run install-focused practice, but no one told fourth-year wide receiver Tyler Johnson that. Johnson stood out among all wide receivers not named Puka Nacua or Cooper Kupp.

Johnson spent much of last year on the Rams practice squad behind several players. He caught two passes for eight yards and a touchdown in Week 18 against the San Francisco 49ers when most starters for both teams were resting. That touchdown was instrumental in the Rams winning that game by one point

The former Minnesota Golden Gophers wide receiver was initially drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and seemed to be progressing well, even in a room occupied by two amazing pass catchers, Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. In his second year, Johson caught 36 passes for 360 yards on the way to a Super Bowl victory.

Certainly not a superstar performance, but one that proved his worth on a roster. But he was cut by the Buccs and then the Houston Texans, then he rode LA’s bench for a season.

Tyler Johnson Impressed With Bennett At Quarterback At Rams Training Camp​

But today at Rams training camp, he flashed what he could be. Johnson was Stetson Bennett’s preferred target, showing what he could do downfield on deep passing routes. He made two Bennett throws look like dimes, including one that Johnson hauled in in the end zone.

His efforts did not and have not gone unnoticed by Sean McVay.

“I’ve been really impressed. I think he’s been one of the bright spots in terms of the overall improvement, a guy that’s comfortable doing what we’re asking. He’s an NFL player. He can make plays. He’s big physical. You can see he’s running better as well. He’s got great aggressive hands at the contact point, but I think he’s doing an excellent job being able to work edges.”
“As you can see, he was an awesome basketball player.He’s wired to be able to separate work edges. He’s made a bunch of big plays down the field, and so I’ve been super impressed and super pleased with Tyler Johnson. He’s definitely been one of the bright spots so far, without a doubt.”

There isn’t a clear spot for him on the roster at the moment. The Rams generally keep six receivers on the roster heading into a season. And that may drop to five with an increased value put on the running game and tight ends.

The top three seem to be locked up with Kupp, Nacua, and Demarcus Robinson. Behind them are Tutu Atwell and rookie sixth-rounder Jordan Whittington. That sixth spot is what he will need to earn. Days like today is what he will need to show to wrap it up.

The big question is, will he build that chemistry with Jimmy Garoppolo? Bennett was elevated to Johnson’s squad because Stafford was given the day off. Johnson is usually paired with Garoppolo. He has mostly leaned toward tight ends and Atwell thus far in camp.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Matthew Stafford sits to avoid injury this time and Jimmy Garoppolo shows command​

Story by Gary Klein

No elbow problem. No money-related hold-in.

Just a scheduled day off.

“This was part of the plan all along,” McVay said, adding, “There’s nothing wrong with him. He’s good.”
Jimmy Garoppolo took Stafford’s place with the first-team offense and Stetson Bennett worked with the second team.

Although both excelled at times, there is no replacing Stafford. The 16th-year pro is the key player for a team that will enter the season with far greater expectations than the 2023 version that finished with a better-than-anticipated 10-7 record and made the playoffs.

Garoppolo, 32, has his own history of injuries, but the 11th-year pro — who signed a one-year contract with the Rams — got through offseason workouts unscathed and passed well during the first week of camp.

On Monday, his experience and increasing comfort in the offense showed.

A touchdown pass to tight end Hunter Long in the back of the end zone harked to throws Garoppolo made with the San Francisco 49ers against the Rams while forging an 8-0 record in regular-season games.

“He’s got great command,” McVay said. “You can see he’s played a lot.”

Garoppolo must sit out the first two regular-season games against the Detroit Lions and Arizona Cardinals because of a suspension for violating the NFL’s performance-enhancing drugs policy while playing for the Las Vegas Raiders.

So if Stafford were to be sidelined before or during those games, Bennett would be in line to replace him.

Bennett, a second-year pro, spent all of last season on the non-football injury/illness list. Monday marked his first extended work in team drills since the summer of 2023.

Bennett made several outstanding passes, one on a sideline route to receiver Xavier Smith and another on a touchdown pass to receiver Tyler Johnson. He also made some mistakes.

“He had some really good reps; some things where we can be a little bit cleaner,” McVay said, “But what you do see from Stetson is the athleticism. The ability ... if we lose contain up front, he can break it and make plays with his legs.”

Bennett enjoyed his first opportunity in full-team drills.

“It went pretty well,” he said. “There were some mistakes, but made some good plays too.

“Just learn from it.”

Etc.​

Left tackle Alaric Jackson was sidelined after he sustained an ankle injury early in practice. “I think he’s going to be fine,” McVay said. ... Rookie defensive tackle Braden Fiske stood out on a day that featured an emphasis on the rushing attack. “He showed up in a big way,” McVay said. “We had some things in that were in alignment that fit his skillset to allow him to really thrive and he took advantage of it.” ... Nacua made a spectacular one-handed catch. ... The Rams will practice in pads again Tuesday.

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
No rental car, uber'ing. However, we will need to stop on way to put our luggage in a temporary locker since we can't bring anything into training camp. Yeah, we will be lucky to get there by 2:30. Add in the fact that the family member we are staying with isn't free to grab us until 7, which is when we would have gotten out of training camp originally, and our plans are just plain fucked. Any other day of TC we would be able to adjust. Just a bummer.