2023 Dodger Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This was a rare win for them

I looked it up and they have only won 8 times this year when they score fewer than 4 runs in a game and only 11 games when they score fewer than 5 runs

In the playoffs, it is rare for a team to score 5 runs in a game

We are in trouble when we get to the playoffs
We have Kershaw coming back today and Buehler soon plus a couple new arms. Let's hope this is the start of a pitching trend.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
When rookie Bobby Miller learns how to be a pitcher more than a thrower he's gonna be really good. He's got some nasty stuff. 100mph fastball, changeup, curve.

Once he figures out how to put it all together he'll be one of the aces of the staff. He started terrific the first couple games. Then hit a rough patch. His last 3 starts have been better. Was very good last night. A good sign he can rebound after a few rough starts. I just hope throwing that hard won't do to him what it did to May.

Tano

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When rookie Bobby Miller learns how to be a pitcher more than a thrower he's gonna be really good. He's got some nasty stuff. 100mph fastball, changeup, curve.

Once he figures out how to put it all together he'll be one of the aces of the staff. He started terrific the first couple games. Then hit a rough patch. His last 3 starts have been better. Was very good last night. A good sign he can rebound after a few rough starts. I just hope throwing that hard won't do to him what it did to May.
Oh I agree - I just don't think he is ready yet but his past 3 performances gives me hope as well

Tano

Legend
2 games in a row where we only score 2 runs and win

Not bad

Of course it was Kershaw and the new lefty from KC for the most part but still - that shows signs that the pitching may be coming around

Graterol had a good ninth

And we might be getting back Treinen fairly soon and maybe Buehler by mid September

Treinen would be a huge boost to the bullpen if he comes back with anywhere close to his old stuff

Has anyone heard anything on JP Freyerson

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Being out for so long I'm not sure what we can expect from Buehler. They have to bring him along slowly. Limit his pitches. Not sure mid September would be enough time to get him ready to be a starter in October.

Dodgers are in good shape to get the second seed and a first round bye. How they keep winning I have no idea. Urias and Gonsolin are still struggling. Lynn has done well but he's far from ace caliber. After those 3 its pretty thin when it comes to experienced starters. We have no ideal how guys like Miller and Sheehan will handle the pressure of the post season.

Whatever the case they have exceeded expectations for this year. The Padres were the media darlings and favorites to win the division. We're approaching mid August and the Padres are still under .500 13.5 games behind the Dodgers.

Tano

Legend
Being out for so long I'm not sure what we can expect from Buehler. They have to bring him along slowly. Limit his pitches. Not sure mid September would be enough time to get him ready to be a starter in October.

Dodgers are in good shape to get the second seed and a first round bye. How they keep winning I have no idea. Urias and Gonsolin are still struggling. Lynn has done well but he's far from ace caliber. After those 3 its pretty thin when it comes to experienced starters. We have no ideal how guys like Miller and Sheehan will handle the pressure of the post season.

Whatever the case they have exceeded expectations for this year. The Padres were the media darlings and favorites to win the division. We're approaching mid August and the Padres are still under .500 13.5 games behind the Dodgers.
I was counting on Buehler being a reliable reliever in the playoffs

Go with Urias Lynn and Kershaw in the playoffs with hopefully whoever else is hot (Gonsolin Miller or Sheehan)

BTW - Lynn has done really well for us so far

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I was counting on Buehler being a reliable reliever in the playoffs

Go with Urias Lynn and Kershaw in the playoffs with hopefully whoever else is hot (Gonsolin Miller or Sheehan)

BTW - Lynn has done really well for us so far
Yes he has. Much better than his stats would indicate from him. He's an experienced veteran who typically gets you 6 innings. Kershaw is one too. If Urias and Gonsolin can return to form, and Lynn and Kershaw can be those innings eaters, then maybe they can do better than expected. Most people had them as a playoff team from the start. But not many had them winning the division.

Tano

Legend
Dodgers pitchers last few games have really started to come together

Not really upset about Almonte being on the IR

Maybe he can find himself again doing a Minor League assignment

TexasRam

Legend
It really is surprising seeing the Dodgers pull away like this and go on a huge winning streak.

The starters are duct taped together and inconsistent. But the Offense just keeps delivering with Freeman, Betts and Smith, constant clutch hitting every night from someone. Peralta and Outman have showed up, Kike, Rosario and Taylor.

The Relief pitching has really been carrying us as of late.

Once Martinez is fully back and hopefully Buehler we will be a tough out in the playoffs.

The late season adds weren't any big names but so far have paid dividends with Lynn, Kike and Rosario.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Muncy doesn't get many hits but a lot of the ones he gets leaves the park. Would like to see a better batting average but he is a run producer. Betts, Freeman and Smith are the big bats. JD Martinez has been a pleasant surprise. I thought his best days were behind him.

Outman is still figuring out the major league pitching. Went into a slump after a great start. But he seems to be coming out of it. Taylor's batting average isn't good but he's capable of getting hot. Rojas is who he is. A utility infielder they can move around when needed. Rosario was a good pickup. Someone who can play more than one position and provides a decent bat.

Lynn as been really good. A veteran who eats up innings. Not an ace by any stretch but every team needs a guy like that. Especially when the bullpen is stretched thin over a few days. This big lead can help them slowly work in the guys who are coming back from the IL list. They may not have any must win games in September.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Looks like Gonsolin is off to the IL again. Likely done for the year. Just add him to the list. That trade for Lynn is looking pretty good right about now. They sure need some vet help with the pitching.

Its crazy how they were not predicted by most to win the division. And here they are with an 11 game lead. Looking pretty good to secure a first round bye with the second seed. Atlanta looks like the team to beat. But you never know who gets hot at the right time.

Its also crazy how San Diego was predicted to not only win the division but a lot of people had them in the World Series with all that talent. Here they are 17 games back in the division and 5 games back for the last wild card. They're gonna have to get hot pretty quick if they want to be playing in October.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Pete Alonso chucked the ball that Masyn Winn (our now-top prospect, since Walker graduated) got his first hit with into the stands. Thank holy fate that it was at home; were it in Queens, you'd never see that ball again.

What an asshole.

Tano

Legend
Looks like Gonsolin is off to the IL again. Likely done for the year. Just add him to the list. That trade for Lynn is looking pretty good right about now. They sure need some vet help with the pitching.

Its crazy how they were not predicted by most to win the division. And here they are with an 11 game lead. Looking pretty good to secure a first round bye with the second seed. Atlanta looks like the team to beat. But you never know who gets hot at the right time.

Its also crazy how San Diego was predicted to not only win the division but a lot of people had them in the World Series with all that talent. Here they are 17 games back in the division and 5 games back for the last wild card. They're gonna have to get hot pretty quick if they want to be playing in October.
Well, at least there was a reason why Gonsolin was pitching so poorly this year. He's been pitching the last 6 weeks with that problem and that's when his pitching troubles started.

Tano

Legend
Well - our bullpen is going to cause us to miss the World Series IMHO

They just are not consistent enough.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Going to the NLDS opener on Oct 7th with my oldest son.

At least I think it's the opener.

It says it's a contingency game but I think that only applies if they lose in the wildcard which would be shocking for obvious reasons.

Here are our seats. Not bad. 10RS
Screenshot_20230830-221029.png

TexasRam

Legend
Fricken dodgers about to be swept by braves.

I saw this coming. They had the pitching matchups.

Come playoffs, we will be sure to line up our pitchers correctly.

Tano

Legend
Fricken dodgers about to be swept by braves.

I saw this coming. They had the pitching matchups.

Come playoffs, we will be sure to line up our pitchers correctly.
This Brave series shows that we will not go far in the playoffs

Pitching always kills offense and the Braves pitching staff is much better than ours

Status
Not open for further replies.