OFFICIAL 2022 Rams Training Camp Thread (General News and Notes)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm so tired of the RB situation.

I’ll take the good with the bad.Though they might not be able to practice,Mcvay is setting a presence for the team.
Better now than later & Williams is going to push HENDO & Akers.
This also helps the backups get extra reps.I’m sure as an example Funk really needs to show case himself.He is a tough young man & type of player Sean Mcvay likes. He goes 100% on each play. As a rookie he did an excellent job at finishing his drills giving the defense different levels of angles against a missed tackle.
—IMO that is where RR31 broke his wrist? They were all working on stripping the ball & swinging wildly.

So your frustrated- big deal. On Sunday’s I’ll feel it,but when you see these guys making plays. Let’s hear about it,because imo there is going to be fun times at Arab in 2022.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Cutch may have to stay on the 53 to keep him. Unless he tanks over the next 3 ugh I mean 2 p.s games he will probably get claimed. I think it is much easier to stash the unpolished project Harris.

Like everyone else here McCutchen is intriguing with his size, body control, ball tracking and hands.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’ll take the good with the bad.Though they might not be able to practice,Mcvay is setting a presence for the team.
Better now than later & Williams is going to push HENDO & Akers.
This also helps the backups get extra reps.I’m sure as an example Funk really needs to show case himself.He is a tough young man & type of player Sean Mcvay likes. He goes 100% on each play. As a rookie he did an excellent job at finishing his drills giving the defense different levels of angles against a missed tackle.
—IMO that is where RR31 broke his wrist? They were all working on stripping the ball & swinging wildly.

So your frustrated- big deal. On Sunday’s I’ll feel it,but when you see these guys making plays. Let’s hear about it,because imo there is going to be fun times at Arab in 2022.
Well.. the running game only got into any kind of rhythm last year when they went all-in on the power game with Michel.. and that was very limited. It helped, but was limited.
The offense knew what he was capable of and how he was going to run and could work from that.
If Akers and Hendo continue to be up one week and down the next? It's just a shit-show when it comes to continuity. Both can be explosive ( I think.. we still don't know where Akers is REALLY at), but both can be out of the game.

The good news is that I think the passing game can be so effective this year that even a bad running game won't slow them too much.

I'd just love to see what a healthy, stud RB could do in this offense.

dang

Legend
Harris had all the motivation he needed after watching Lance McCutcheon.
So I’m an eternal optimist but I am pumping the brakes on McCuthcheon. He looks to have strong hands. He obviously balled out in His first preseason game but he’s still a ways away from making the 53 man roster or contributing to the Rams in the regular season. Let’s hope he continues to rise and he becomes a better option than Harris, Skow snd who knows Perhaps he negates the need to sign OBJ later this year. But baby steps IMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Going to add looking back I was all in on Johnathan Taylor saying what a special RB he was above all the rest of a nice RB class.
Seeing him slip out of the 1st rd is just an example of how RB’s are not valued like they should be.
Just like the year after Tutu vs. Humphries,I’ll add a trade that I didn’t want to bring up for the negativity.
As Jonathan Taylor fell in the draft. The trade value became less and less to move up. I actually would have wanted to draft him in the 1st rd with say KC for that 5th year extension option that 1st rd picks NFL teams get.

Akers,Jefferson & or Lewis ?

2 early 2nds & a 3rd rd pick for Johnathan Taylor? IMO it was worth looking into,but Les Snead was never going to do it. I would have drafted
D. Cooks in 2017 where he fell to The Rams,but they(Rams) traded the pick to draft Everett & John Johnson who I never knew much about from BC except Wade liked the kid.

That is when I sort of stopped researching the draft. I actually liked the WR the Bills took over Cooper Kupp .Zane or whoever who played in the Senior bowl with Kupp.

Les Snead was like there is only 1 football & we only need 1 RB(Gurley).

So I’ll always go down with The Rams drafting

D. Cooks from FSU(Vikings)(traded pick to the Bills)

Cooper Kupp who proved his value & couldn’t be passed up.

George Kittles as the backup to Tyler Higbee.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So I’m an eternal optimist but I am pumping the brakes on McCuthcheon. He looks to have strong hands. He obviously balled out in His first preseason game but he’s still a ways away from making the 53 man roster or contributing to the Rams in the regular season. Let’s hope he continues to rise and he becomes a better option than Harris, Skow snd who knows Perhaps he negates the need to sign OBJ later this year. But baby steps IMO.
Nah, I'm all in on McCutcheon because of several variables. First they loved him and his catch radius as they watched him on film at Montana State scouting Daniel Hardy (happens often) Cooper Kupp called out McCutcheon so if Kupp likes him so do I. Also as you so eloquently communicate, he's has strong and excellent hands, an area where IMO, Ben Skowronek struggled. Overall, McCutcheon might not be the blocker that Skowronek is, but many tweeted early about McCutcheon and so far they were right.

Tutu Atwell offers something different and will be the speed WR an option to run over the top of the defense, but McCutcheon has been proving the game at this level is not too big for him and I expect to make the squad come September Morn.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nelson Spruce 2.0

enjoyed what the kid put on tape but we need to see more against better competition before we crown him the next Spruce.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not being snarky... but what does that mean to you?
That he's not going to be on the 53?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Nelson Spruce 2.0

enjoyed what the kid put on tape but we need to see more against better competition before we crown him the next Spruce.
No. Not at all.

McCutcheon is a significant step up, athletically.. just a different beast who will make a real impact on special teams that Spruce wasn't built for.

I loved Spruce, but this ain't that, imo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Nah, I'm all in on McCutcheon because of several variables. First they loved him and his catch radius as they watched him on film at Montana State scouting Daniel Hardy (happens often) Cooper Kupp called out McCutcheon so if Kupp likes him so do I. Also as you so eloquently communicate, he's has strong and excellent hands, an area where IMO, Ben Skowronek struggled. Overall, McCutcheon might not be the blocker that Skowronek is, but many tweeted early about McCutcheon and so far they were right.

Tutu Atwell offers something different and will be the speed WR an option to run over the top of the defense, but McCutcheon has been proving the game at this level is not too big for him and I expect to make the squad come September Morn.
The stuff I've read/heard about how he handles himself and his approach in practice is also a big reason to buy into him. He's in a WR lab with Kupp and Robinson and has all the tools necessary.

I know I'm overly excited about him this week.. but what we saw out there was a legit NFL WR.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nelson Spruce 2.0

Yeah, Very similar emotional response from roddies and first game performance.
If I remember right Spruce got injured and that slowed his p.s climb. McCutchen being a physical mismatch adds a bit of intrigue for me.
I certainly was enamored by Spruce that first game too though and we all know how that turned out.

Let's see what happens o er the next couple weeks, so far so good for the kid.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Very similar emotional response from roddies and first game performance.
If I remember right Spruce got injured and that slowed his p.s climb. McCutchen being a physical mismatch adds a bit of intrigue for me.
I certainly was enamored by Spruce that first game too though and we all know how that turned out.

Let's see what happens o er the next couple weeks, so far so good for the kid.
Yeah patience is needed, some are calling him one of our WRs to count on off a couple good plays. I’m absolutely not writing the kid off, I just need to see more and against better player. He’s shown talent now keep it progressing.

dang

Legend
Not being snarky... but what does that mean to you?
That he's not going to be on the 53?
Being an optimist I want him on the 53 but I cannot say he is already in. I just think he needs to continue to show and continue to build the case for bringing him into the very crowded WR room. Strong showing in the next preseason game will greatly increase his chances.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

2022 NFL Preseason Week 1 recap: What you need to know about injuries, position battles, rookie debuts​

A lot of good stuff in this recap. Here's the Rams bit:

36) I'm trying not to overreact to random preseason games, but my god Rams undrafted rookie Lance McCutcheon backed up all his training camp practice hype. The man bullied the Chargers for two touchdowns, a two-point conversion and drew two other penalties; he was all but uncoverable. The performance reminded me of Victor Cruz's breakout preseason game for the Giants in 2010.

Don't tell me that McCutcheon, who led the Big Sky in receiving last year, doesn't already have more upside than other Rams depth receivers like Tutu Atwell and Ben Skowronek. Los Angeles coach Sean McVay indicated Saturday night Atwell's role on the team is secure. (If Atwell hasn't been drafted in the second round, would that be the case?) The Rams now can't risk trying to get McCutcheon through to the practice squad.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dicker and Pettigrew are the two surprises there for me. Not that they are gone, but they are just gone earlier than I expected.